Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Ugh. There's an rear end in a top hat in an grey older Toyota SUV of some sort whose 6AM commute matches mine for about eight miles or so from Allegheny up Henry in Philadelphia. He tailgates, cuts people off, hops between lanes aggressively and persistently eases over the line then decides nope, gonna just be an rear end in a top hat in this lane for a bit NOPE LET'S SWERVE OVER. He's almost lost control while cutting me off in the wet (and then when I passed him again later he tailgated me, flicked his lights and gesticulated wildly), he's halfway through intersections before the light turns, and yesterday he just drove on the shoulder around everybody through a red light. I want so badly for him to get nailed doing something dangerous and illegal just so that maybe, just maybe, he reins it in a bit and I don't have to deal with a loving lunatic on my route multiple times per week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'll have to check the dashcam tonight to see if I got a shot of it, but I saw someone today who managed to completely high-center their current-gen CRV on the small raised median on the overpass over a freeway :downs: They were straddling it perfectly, with the signs on either end of it intact so they must have hopped onto it from the side and not driven onto it from the end, which confuses me even more because the road approaching it is ruler straight for a mile.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Ugh. There's an rear end in a top hat in an grey older Toyota SUV of some sort whose 6AM commute matches mine for about eight miles or so from Allegheny up Henry in Philadelphia. He tailgates, cuts people off, hops between lanes aggressively and persistently eases over the line then decides nope, gonna just be an rear end in a top hat in this lane for a bit NOPE LET'S SWERVE OVER. He's almost lost control while cutting me off in the wet (and then when I passed him again later he tailgated me, flicked his lights and gesticulated wildly), he's halfway through intersections before the light turns, and yesterday he just drove on the shoulder around everybody through a red light. I want so badly for him to get nailed doing something dangerous and illegal just so that maybe, just maybe, he reins it in a bit and I don't have to deal with a loving lunatic on my route multiple times per week.

Good god man, get a dashcam and post some videos! Also, record a bunch and send a compilation to the local police letting them know that he's around there at X time every day. It's not uncommon for departments to actually use that info and send some dude out there that's itching to write some tickets. Something very similar happened like this just recently where a guy recorded some psycho driving crazy on his daily commute for a couple of weeks and sent the footage to the local sheriff and the local news and everyone got on board and had the guy busted within a few days.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

tetrapyloctomy posted:

dashcam that dude and provide it to the police, multiple incidents over several days would probably get their attention.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Well, he does cross into Montgomery Country for a bit, they might do something about it. Philadelphia ... probably not so much.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

KozmoNaut posted:

Let me just tell you, the very first ding or scrape on a new car hurts you deep and turns your insides into a bottomless pit of despair and impotent rage.

Then, when you've mellowed out over a day or two, it's more like "eh, at least that's out of the way now" :shobon:

My first one kind of pissed me off. I was parked in one of those oddly-shaped lots downtown where the spaces are all over the place, so my car was perpendicular to the cars on the other side of the aisle. Some jackass backed into my driver's side door, leaving a nice big scrape, then their passenger apparently flung open their door to check out the damage and put a huge divot in my left front fender. They somehow managed to scrape up the side of the front bumper on their way out as well. Didn't leave a note, of course. Ended up being a few grand in repairs (through my collision insurance as an uninsured motorist collision, luckily, since it was a hit and run).

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Ugh. There's an rear end in a top hat in an grey older Toyota SUV of some sort whose 6AM commute matches mine for about eight miles or so from Allegheny up Henry in Philadelphia.

I've encountered the same rear end in a top hat in a black Mazda3 several times over the past several months on my Friday evening trips home from the grocery store. Pretty much drives exactly the same way; stays less than a foot away from the bumper of anyone in front of him and aggressively swerves from lane to lane cutting people off if he sees any sort of gap in the other lane. Uploaded a couple clips of his antics a while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMiNE6agvr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXUzGxGqCsY

Nothing the cops around here would really give a poo poo about, though, at least not just based on video evidence, though I suppose some bored Smyrna or Cobb PD cop who saw him in person might light him up just to see if they can find any meth on him.

crocodile
Jun 19, 2004

saw this genius today...

there are height sensors and flashing lights coming from both directions approaching that bridge with plenty of time to turn around...oops :xd:

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

crocodile posted:

saw this genius today...

there are height sensors and flashing lights coming from both directions approaching that bridge with plenty of time to turn around...oops :xd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzkWTcDZFH0

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Well, he does cross into Montgomery Country for a bit, they might do something about it. Philadelphia ... probably not so much.

I have never in my life seen someone pulled over by a cop in Philadelphia.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

StormDrain posted:

Saw a guy playing a Nintendo DS while driving yesterday. Delightful.

Final Fantasy Tactics knows no bounds.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

StormDrain posted:

Saw a guy playing a Nintendo DS while driving yesterday. Delightful.
There was a thing a while back with the Think-Of-The-Children lot getting their collective knickers in a twist that the DS networking ability means that a paedophile driving on the highway could see kids playing on them in the back seat of a car, use their own DS to message them, and the parents would never know!

So they're using one hand to steer, and one hand to hold the DS. What are they using as a stylus? :flaccid:

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Why do BMW drivers always fulfil my stereotypes of them? Waiting to turn right to get on the motorway, 3 lanes both ways. Last car goes by in the farthest right lane, still traffic in the rest, so, I pull out, stick to the clear lane and take the motorway sliproad. About 3 seconds after I'm all the way out, a BMW x3/5 changes lane from the middle to mine, and comes rocketing up behind me. Probably 100m to see the huge yellow VW Bus with a 4 foot "SLOW MOVING VEHICLE" banner across the back and slow down or change lanes, but, NOPE. They come right up behind me, screech their brakes whilst blaring their horn, and cut off the other lane to swing around me.

I'll admit I'm not the best of drivers and still do dumb things, but, come on, how was that my fault? I waited until the lane was clear and did my best to get up to speed :smith:

At least the next honks I heard on the way home was from a van full of smiling people pointing at the bus :gbsmith:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

This is becoming a thing in Memphis. Driver in Left Turn lane turns right on green arrow. Driver in Right Turn lane randomly turns left causing much screeching and honking.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

I have never in my life seen someone pulled over by a cop in Philadelphia.

I've gotten pulled over twice on my way to work. Once for a legitimate reason (my front headlight was out) and once no reason was given. Both stops ended when they saw my scrubs and ID, so I didn't press the guy the second time around to find out what the purpose was. Though it's largely urban legend that cops will hand out cards to Make Things Go Away, once when I helped one out he did give me card and say, "Just in case you need something," so I keep that on me in case I'm ever in a situation where I need to see if it DOES work.

I see people pulled over fairly frequently, but it's usually by a LOT of cops, so I'm guessing it's for something a but more egregious than "I rolled a stop sign."

Also often seen on my drive home, though not over the last few months: a black M5 with the license plate "GUILT E" -- I'm kind of curious of what, other than being in possession of a kinda stupid personalized plate.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Also often seen on my drive home, though not over the last few months: a black M5 with the license plate "GUILT E" -- I'm kind of curious of what, other than being in possession of a kinda stupid personalized plate.
Last night I saw a White Mercedes on the freeway with the license plate "ARESTED". I'm also pretty sure he/she was drunk.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

tetrapyloctomy posted:

clearly that's Dick Wolf's M5

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I know whining about cyclists is a cliche but apparently the weather is now just right and they're all over the place. All of this is just over the last couple of days, and I haven't even been driving that much.

First there are at least two guys who just blew past red traffic lights - not much to explain, everyone stops they just continue as if the lights don't apply to them.

Then there's this rear end in a top hat who randomly switches between riding on the road, the sidewalk, then crossing the street by riding over the pedestrian crossing and continuing on the other sidewalk.

And of course just now there was this guy who thought he was in Tour de France, when he was actually in a post office. Wearing all the spandex gear , with his stupid bicycle in the middle of the hallway.

Finally on the way home now I almost took out a guy taking a left off a main road without slowing down to let oncoming traffic through.

I'm not at all hostile to cyclists but goddamn why do they insist on breaking the rules in dangerous ways in such high numbers. Drivers are assholes too but in all my experience I haven't seen more than two cars blow a red light when it wasn't just a fraction of a second late.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

And the above is the reason that as a cyclist, I hate cyclists. It's the fair-weather fuckboys doing dumb poo poo and pootling everywhere waving all over the road. Strange that today when it pisses it down they all gently caress off again.

Roll on winter so I can have the loving streets to myself once more.

I had some chav oval office try to 'race' me home on an obviously stolen bike, weaving all over the pavement narrowly avoiding pedestrians then jumping back onto the road whenever it suited him. At one point he got in front of me because red light dodging and then rode across me so I cut him up, he them started shouting as I shot off. I of course turned around and rode over to him and the little prick shut up.

I hate chavvy little dicklords rolling around thinking they're the big I am on stolen bikes.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

mobby_6kl posted:

I know whining about cyclists is a cliche but apparently the weather is now just right and they're all over the place. All of this is just over the last couple of days, and I haven't even been driving that much.

First there are at least two guys who just blew past red traffic lights - not much to explain, everyone stops they just continue as if the lights don't apply to them.

Then there's this rear end in a top hat who randomly switches between riding on the road, the sidewalk, then crossing the street by riding over the pedestrian crossing and continuing on the other sidewalk.

And of course just now there was this guy who thought he was in Tour de France, when he was actually in a post office. Wearing all the spandex gear , with his stupid bicycle in the middle of the hallway.

Finally on the way home now I almost took out a guy taking a left off a main road without slowing down to let oncoming traffic through.

I'm not at all hostile to cyclists but goddamn why do they insist on breaking the rules in dangerous ways in such high numbers. Drivers are assholes too but in all my experience I haven't seen more than two cars blow a red light when it wasn't just a fraction of a second late.

I live fairly close to one of the most popular cyclist trails in Colorado and I just loving hate them. Ignoring stop signs with cars present, blatantly not using the designated biking trail 3 feet away from them. I hate it all. Cyclists work best when they aren't darting out in front of me once I'm ready to proceed through a stop sign.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015
I'll just leave this here: http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/Woman-pleasuring-sex-toy-Cirencester-crash/story-26891580-detail/story.html

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Problem with cyclists is that they are even stupider around other cyclists and around pedestrians, than around cars.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Just about got taken out by a red light running cyclist at a controlled pedestrian crossing after work - of course they were wearing all black with no lights so almost impossible to see in the 6pm gloom

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Was almost rear ended by an ambulance last night on the highway:

I was coming up to my exit and I was in the middle lane on the highway going 70. Behind me at least a quarter mile was a truck. All I can see is headlights. It was going roughly the same speed as I was so I wasn't worried. I changed lanes when I was about half mile from my exit and apparently this infuriated the headlights behind. It comes flying up to my tail to the point where I don't see their lights at all. I start to coast and slow down as I'm entering the off ramp, then speed up once my speed drops down below the ramp limit.

I'm taking the left turn exit and the headlights are taking the straight exit, towards the hospital. I'm expecting some dumb bro to step out of his bro truck but when I look over, it was a goddamned ambulance.

I'm thinking maybe they were coming off of a 24 hour shift and wasn't paying attention or were just assholes.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

On Saturday my wife and I were stopped at a red light at a junction with traffic coming down the highway offramp, and these two cyclists just blaze through the red without so much as looking in the direction of the offramp. Someone (who probably crapped themselves) coming down the ramp at the time panic-brakes and manages to avoid murdering them, honks the horn hellaciously while the two cyclists flip him the bird.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

MrOnBicycle posted:

Problem with cyclists is that they are even stupider around other cyclists and around pedestrians, than around cars.

My 'Pedestrian Hit by Cyclists' count is up to six now.One on the street as I was crossing (cyclist ran red light). The other five on sidewalks; three from behind, one as I was waiting for a light to change so I could cross and he rammed me in the side, and the last one as I turned a corner and got flattened by a douchebag on a fixie. That impact broke three of my fingers and totalled the poo poo out his fork and front wheel and he was screaming at me for not not getting out of his 'right of way'. All got caught on a traffic cam.

This attitude is the norm and the impacts I've dodged are up in the triple digits.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
A lot of cyclists are really hosed in the head. I mean, I obey the rules of the road and let you take the lane for safety when you deem it necessary, please show me the same courtesy by obeying those same traffic laws you seem to love when they work out in your favour, and not riding on the loving sidewalk like a goddamn halfwit. Is that really so much to ask?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Almost got flattened from behind by a moron on a kickscooter and his stupid child on my way to work today.

To balance things out a bit, came pretty close to a head-on with another car that was overtaking someone on a narrow blind city street.

I enjoy these experiences as they make me appreciate life a little more.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Some teenage/early 20s girl just about ran me off the road on an interchange ramp by ignoring a yield sign on the way home from work today. Pulls up next to me at a light about three miles down the road and starts screaming at me, I asked her if she knew what the red and white upside down triangle sign that says "YIELD" means.

:byodame: I HAVE A BABY IN MY CAR!!!!

So yes, having a child in your car is still license to drive like an utter oval office, nearly cause accidents and then blame everyone else for your lovely driving.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Geoj posted:

Some teenage/early 20s girl just about ran me off the road on an interchange ramp by ignoring a yield sign on the way home from work today. Pulls up next to me at a light about three miles down the road and starts screaming at me, I asked her if she knew what the red and white upside down triangle sign that says "YIELD" means.

:byodame: I HAVE A BABY IN MY CAR!!!!

So yes, having a child in your car is still license to drive like an utter oval office, nearly cause accidents and then blame everyone else for your lovely driving.

"I don't see a Baby on Board sign" :smug:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I think if you commit a serious moving violation with a child in the car, child services should get involved.

THERE I SAID IT.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Ringo Star Get posted:

I think if you commit a serious moving violation with a child in the car, child services should get involved.

THERE I SAID IT.

Especially if your child is your excuse for committing the violation.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I got called a prick by some middle-aged overcompensator on a road bike for stepping onto a crossing and causing him to brake sharply. Go gently caress yourself bicycle guy, red light means stop.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I got called a prick by some middle-aged overcompensator on a road bike for stepping onto a crossing and causing him to brake sharply. Go gently caress yourself bicycle guy, red light means stop.

Cut the green wire to defuse the bomb. Do not cut the red wire. You must be certain you're cutting the GREEN wire.

*explosion*

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Cut the green wire to defuse the bomb. Do not cut the red wire. You must be certain you're cutting the GREEN wire.

*explosion*

It seems to be a consistent problem the world over. What makes cyclists so loving stupid about basic traffic laws and safety?

Honestly, though, I think part of it is an utterly bizarre sense of entitlement. We just got a whole bunch of new bike lanes in my city, and while I think a lot of them are in places that make sense, there's one that does not (it's on a road that's narrow, bi-directional for part, and pedestrian-only for a significant stretch, and has a lot of businesses that require short-term parking). In debating people on this subject, my point is that, as a resident of the area, I'm already not using a car to access that area unless I cannot accomplish my task without a car, in which case a bike will not do. The lack of connections along the bike path system to any area outside downtown means that the paths are taking away user-share from transit and walking, rather than cars, so I think that particular placement is a waste of time.

One person asks me, "well, what do you think the point of bike lanes is?"

I respond, "To take cars off the road and make downtown less congested," which is a mission I fully support, so that when I must use my car, it's easy to do so.

Apparently I was wrong. The point of bike lanes is to encourage biking, which is apparently its own end instead of a means to reduce overall traffic, which I can only assume means that the average cyclist literally believes they are doing a wonderful thing for society and the world itself, simply by travelling from place to place on a bicycle. Therefore, it is very mean of us to impede them on their wonderful mission with these pesky little details such as "laws" and "traffic signals."

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I think it's because by and large, when people are put in charge of a vehicle they become selfish, arrogant, careless dicks regardless of how many wheels it has or what's powering it. And if they're not, someone else will turn them into one through attrition.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^^ Seriously, the answer is simply because most people are selfish cunts who will not stand to be inconvenienced if there's some way of 'getting ahead'.

People in general are just loving terrible. Done.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PT6A posted:

What makes cyclists so loving stupid about basic traffic laws and safety?

Something about "I have to pedal my rear end off to get up to speed while you only have to move your foot a quarter of an inch, therefore I can ignore red lights and stop signs with impunity and my safety is your problem."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Geoj posted:

Something about "I have to pedal my rear end off to get up to speed while you only have to move your foot a quarter of an inch, therefore I can ignore red lights and stop signs with impunity and my safety is your problem."

Which amuses me because I'm a cyclist myself, and find stopping on a bike a whole lot easier because less planning is involved. Fewer variables, less mass, less distance. Just squeeze the handles and you're done. Obviously a cyclist uses more calories to get back up to speed, but that's the entire loving point of riding a bike anyways so you'd think stopping would not be treated like some kind of mortal insult.. especially when the penalty for getting hit while on a bike is so severe.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Ringo Star Get posted:

THERE I SAID IT.

I posted about this when it happened but a mother of one with another soon to come was killed in a head on collison because... she wasn't wearing her seatbelt. Mother of the year material right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I enjoy biking for fun and exercise, and I admit to running stop signs, when no one is around. If a car is there I stop as normal, and never run reds. I don't see many people do that poo poo around my town. Am I the person you share the road with? Conceivably, but I honestly try not to be, in or out of the car/bike.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 15, 2015