Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

YOU SAY SOMTHIN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

silentsnack posted:

YOU SAY SOMTHIN?

I CAN'T HEAR YOU, I HAVE A BANANA IN MY EAR!

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
I'm definitely interested in more underwater features and stuff to do/kill/loot down there. They have a good mechanical system for it and tons of items catering to it - all that's needed is some content. Aside from just shipwrecks, I think there should be cars in the rivers with corpses (or zombies!) in the seats, including ambulances, armored cars etc. still full of loot due to no-one else being able to get to them (unless those are already a thing? I haven't seen any), plus maybe a 'wrecked dam' terrain area that has some high-class houses and shops turned into a new lake by a dam bursting? Plus, maybe add flooded underwater entrances to bunkers or give some of them a moat. I wish I didn't get so distracted playing this game that I never get around to learning to mod it :(

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

M.Ciaster posted:

I actually don't mind this one, but drat is it overwrought. Firing a few shots off in the middle of the drat street won't make you go deaf right off the bat, dammit!

My biggest issue with the 'realism!' stuff people are so into for their games is that most of the time it is so punishing and ridiculous that it is waaaay worse than it would actually be irl.

Like when they made it so if you slip past broken glass there was some huge chance of getting tetanus and then antibiotics didn't even heal it (like they do irl). And when someone said 'hey this is too punishing' people in the forum just said 'nah bro you're just not good enough raise your DEX and clear the window with a crowbar.'

Or the gunpowder thing. Nevermind that gunpowder isn't all that hard to make really. Not compared to some of the other stuff you can make in this game; like a fusion cannon or whatever.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

My biggest issue with the 'realism!' stuff people are so into for their games is that most of the time it is so punishing and ridiculous that it is waaaay worse than it would actually be irl.

Like when they made it so if you slip past broken glass there was some huge chance of getting tetanus and then antibiotics didn't even heal it (like they do irl). And when someone said 'hey this is too punishing' people in the forum just said 'nah bro you're just not good enough raise your DEX and clear the window with a crowbar.'

Or the gunpowder thing. Nevermind that gunpowder isn't all that hard to make really. Not compared to some of the other stuff you can make in this game; like a fusion cannon or whatever.

Yeah, that's my beef with the game's devs really. They seem to be hella into the whole realism for realism's sake thing without actually thinking how it'll affect the fun. Seems to be a roguelike dev thing in general (which is why I don't play many roguelikes, and why I savescum like a motherfucker in Cataclysm sometimes :v:)

And are you fuckin' serious about that tetanus thing? I mean what the hell? I never got it, but I don't think I ever got hurt from going through a broken window. I'm not a pro game dev or whatever but this seems like the kind of stupid gotcha nobody would ever enjoy. Is it still in?

The gunpowder is easy enough to slot back in, though, so it's not that bad, but still, c'mon.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Yeah that tetanus thing was super lame, but thankfully they removed it shortly after.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

M.Ciaster posted:

They seem to be hella into the whole realism for realism's sake thing without actually thinking how it'll affect the fun.

Which is one thing if you want to make some ultra-realistic game but then they don't even make it realistic; it's just as unrealistic but in the opposite direction.

The tetanus thing is gone. You can still get it but the odds are much much lower and I think antibiotics work as they should now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Million Ghosts posted:

In fact being stone deaf is a benefit cause you will always sleep soundly and hearing doesn't do poo poo for you

Being deaf is a disadvantage for, like, the first two nights of the game where actually getting in sight of a zombie is a potential death sentence.

Of course, having a gun makes that situation much less lethal in the first place.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Being deaf is a disadvantage for, like, the first two nights of the game where actually getting in sight of a zombie is a potential death sentence.

Of course, having a gun makes that situation much less lethal in the first place.
NPCs like to deafen you by shooting at zombies, if they see any while approaching.

Being deaf means some of them (the ones that try to rob you) turn hostile and shoot you instead of giving you a chance to pull shenanigans like saying "I surrender" and then running away when they get distracted by zombies.

Or surrendering and waiting for them to get close to deliver a face full of sawed-off shotgun to smear them before they open fire. There are no war crime trials in the apocalypse.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I surrendered and the dude started taking more of my poo poo than I thought reasonable so I tried to quickly blast him in the face with my Uzi but he was faster and I died.

Goddamn NPCs.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

Which is one thing if you want to make some ultra-realistic game but then they don't even make it realistic; it's just as unrealistic but in the opposite direction.

The tetanus thing is gone. You can still get it but the odds are much much lower and I think antibiotics work as they should now.

Yeah, on a sliding scale of seriousness in zombie games Cataclysm is way closer to Dead Rising than it is to, say, DayZ or whatever.

And I think we all prefer it that way.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Wasn't the gunpowder change more for gameplay reasons of "we want this to be a limited resource" than realism reasons? Not that they were good reasons either way.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
What was the gunpowder change?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

GlyphGryph posted:

Wasn't the gunpowder change more for gameplay reasons of "we want this to be a limited resource" than realism reasons? Not that they were good reasons either way.

no they explicitly said it was realism because it was apparently Not Ok for people to be feeding military-grade ammo to military-grade weapons as a matter of course

meanwhile, most of us had to stop firing our plasma cannons and laser rifles that are linked into an electrical outlet embedded in our assholes for more than 20 seconds to ask

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

GlyphGryph posted:

It was because home cooking gunpowder in your chemistry set is completely unreasonable, unlike using it to make chemicals that turn you into a fish.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
actually I don't have that much of a problem with the Gunpowder thing being over - realisticso long as they do what they claim they would and allow you to manufacture it just with the risk of blowing yourself up. I tell to think that it's wrong that you can craft plasma weapons and fusion blasters without risking blowing yourself into molecules.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Bit of both:

quote:

I was reminded of this recently and took another look around. The consensus I see everywhere I look is that modern gunpowder is not a reasonable thing to make without extensive expertise (professional chemist at least) and equipment (laboratory level).

quote:

Firearms not necessarily being sustainable is kind of the point. Either you find a large enough cache of ammo to use, or you make do without that particular resource.
If there are locations where gunpowder would reasonably appear in bulk, feel free to call them out, but I don't see any benefit in trying to preserve the status quo. That kind of reasoning assumes the current availability of gunpowder is where it needs to be, but that's not necessarily the case.

Both quotes are from Kevin Granade.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ugh, I wish I could get generic guns on earlier versions rather than this super encumbering build.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Starting a fire indoors then trying to boil water on it is a really bad idea.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
For all the stupid poo poo the devs seem to pull from time to time, I must give this game some credit for the incredibly-obvious-in-hindsight gotchas, like when you start a fire indoors to cook with (and immediately regret it), or keel over dead from a heroin overdose (again, seems sort of obvious in hindsight), or as in my case, drop an entire multi-story lab on your own dumb head because you thought firing massive plasma explosions indoors is a good idea. :v:

Sadly been too busy with work to really get back into the game much, but c'est la vie.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shady Amish Terror posted:

For all the stupid poo poo the devs seem to pull from time to time, I must give this game some credit for the incredibly-obvious-in-hindsight gotchas, like when you start a fire indoors to cook with (and immediately regret it), or keel over dead from a heroin overdose (again, seems sort of obvious in hindsight), or as in my case, drop an entire multi-story lab on your own dumb head because you thought firing massive plasma explosions indoors is a good idea. :v:

Sadly been too busy with work to really get back into the game much, but c'est la vie.

Yeah don't get me wrong the game is still awesome. I was more just commenting on gamers that are super into 'realism.'

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

SynthOrange posted:

Starting a fire indoors then trying to boil water on it is a really bad idea.

It's the saddest moment when you gently caress up using a brazier and burn down your whole base.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

It's the saddest moment when you gently caress up using a brazier and burn down your whole base.

"poo poo wrong direction button.... where's that fire extinguisher WHERES THAT FIRE EXTINGUISHER"

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Braziers don't even contain smoke though, why would you use one? Just hoof it to a restaurant/ fast food place and use the '/' key to get a stove to your house.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I opened up a garage, saw a car and a ton of gear. Behind me was a horde of zombies. I wanted to loot the place properly so I activated the winch to close the garage door.

It landed on my head, stunning me and throwing me outside into the pack of zombies. :cripes:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

welcome

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Rapacity posted:

Braziers don't even contain smoke though, why would you use one? Just hoof it to a restaurant/ fast food place and use the '/' key to get a stove to your house.

420 braze it every day

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

After that I discovered battering rams and put those everywhere. I wandered from town to town looking for diesel to fuel my murdertruck. It was self sustaining, covered in solar panels. I probably could have torn out the diesel engine and put in an electric one I guess. Had fridges, tons of storage, built in welder and kitchen. Things were going great.

Then I blundered into sight of a milspec turret. :smith:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Aww man, that's unfortunate dude. You couldn't get some armor for your car? :smith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RNG didnt favour me. Still, I was already thinking about what to do better for my next vehicle. Like try use a gasoline engine since it's more plentiful. Or even go full electric with enough storage and panel space.

Or even a battle bicycle. With steamroller wheels.

Though the best part wasnt even the deathtruck. It was finding a pristine saxaphone and playing that thing day and night to cheer myself up while running over zombies. I wouldnt stop playing even to sleep, had to put it away first.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 12, 2015

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

RNG didnt favour me. Still, I was already thinking about what to do better for my next vehicle. Like try use a gasoline engine since it's more plentiful. Or even go full electric with enough storage and panel space.

Or even a battle bicycle. With steamroller wheels.

If I die in one more turret incident I will build a windowless battlepod with security cameras and an enormous armored ram-phallus.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

palamedes posted:

If I die in one more turret incident I will build a windowless battlepod with security cameras and an enormous armored ram-phallus.

Make sure that you aren't exposed when the vehicle turns! I made that mistake and paid for it a couple of times.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Electric is probably fine as a backup engine, but my experiments with them seem to suggest you're better off with gasoline or diesel as your usual powerplant.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I've never had a problem going full electric. Just put extra panels and batteries on and be careful if you decide to use a minifridge instead of just hoarding permafood.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Well, alright, I guess I should qualify that statement. For a runabout that you're going to leave parked for reasonable periods of time and which you don't go TOO overboard with, electric is fine for full-time use. For monstrous multi-ton deathmachines (and I've tried two or three configurations), batteries can end up draining really fast even on short trips with lightly-armored cars that are coated in solar panels. Better quality panels and a bevy of batteries can make a difference, but I don't see any reason not to throw in a V12 or something on larger vehicles if you can find one, just because electric vehicles drain charge surprisingly fast on long trips, potentially leading to frustrating campouts while you wait for the batteries to juice up a little.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
What are people using to blast down concrete walls and metal doors in the dev version? Dynamite and fertilizer bombs have been hilariously nerfed. ANFO and RDX charges seem impractical to manufacture and haul. I got lucky and found an artifact that shakes down walls for 150 rads per charge but without it I think I would be shut out of these lab barracks.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Do acetylene torches not work any more? For the doors, anyways, I rarely if ever found the need to blow up actual walls.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've never had a problem going full electric. Just put extra panels and batteries on and be careful if you decide to use a minifridge instead of just hoarding permafood.

A full electric set up seems perfectly viable for at least a small truck sized vehicle. I can run a minifridge and laser turret and additional goodies just fine.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
What I always do is have a line of removable storage batteries set up and charging via solar in my home base area. By the time I've constructed a smaller War Rig precursor, some kind of explorer dethbike, I have such a hoard of fully powered batteries that a couple electric engines work fine.

After I've found the neccessary raw material to make my War Rig, I pretty much always switch to 3 or 4 gas engines. Never been able to find a minireactor or anything, but I look all the time in the Military bases. I suppose if I found one or two, I'd keep them and use electric engines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Do acetylene torches not work any more? For the doors, anyways, I rarely if ever found the need to blow up actual walls.

A method that doesn't use explosives... it sounds crazy enough to work.