Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
lucas can write scripts although hes admitted to hating it; he pretty much lived in one room for days and painstakingly refined the drafts and script of new hope and empire strikes back. he didn't spend as much time or effort on the prequel scripts, and even drafts were often delayed.
the writing of the prequels is definitely not as refined as the OT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If you think about it, statistically speaking the most represented ethnicity in Star Wars is Maori.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Heid the Ball posted:

There is something in the choice of actors too. Neeson and Macgregor both have engaging screen presence, but neither are great actors of our time. They are supposed to be long time master & pupil, yet they seem uncomfortable together and have no rapport or short-hand familiarity.

Macgregor was, fortunately, doing an amazing job of holding his Sir Alec Guinness impression.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Madurai posted:

Macgregor was, fortunately, doing an amazing job of holding his Sir Alec Guinness impression.

Yeah, he did a pretty impressive job of playing a younger Alec Guinness playing Obi-Wan.

He also drops into that character a couple times on his "Long Way Round" and "Long Way Down" motoventuring TV shows and drops quotes from OT Obi-Wan and it's even more impressive hearing him say the same lines Sir Guinness delivered using the same tone, cadence, and delivery.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Madurai posted:

Yeah, he was easily my favorite actor in the prequels, even with Samuel L. Jackson being rad.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It helps that MacGregor had a real enthusiasm for the part. He's even said now he'd be up for appearing as Obi-Wan in some capacity in spin-off material.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Heid the Ball posted:

One thing I remember hearing around the time of the prequels is that the dialogue and conversations were meant to be more stately and formal, as we were dealing with queens, senators, Jedi and other top-brass. Also this was a "more-civilised" age, so we wouldn't have scoundrels and farm-boys in the stories.

The problem with this theory was the lack of any wit or subtext to liven up the boring script. Films with period settings are not made dull by their formality, but are enlivened by decent scriptwriters weaving character through clever, witty use of language. Also, high-status characters have to have their human moments, where the mask of public life slips and they show some hidden depths.

There is something in the choice of actors too. Neeson and Macgregor both have engaging screen presence, but neither are great actors of our time. They are supposed to be long time master & pupil, yet they seem uncomfortable together and have no rapport or short-hand familiarity. Portman was young but seemed stifled by the script in each film, like she was speaking a second language. Christensen was a poor choice all round, Anakin needed to be a rakish, devil-may-care flyboy, not a moody, mumbling teenager.

I'm sure the direction had a lot to do with it, any behind the scenes stuff looks like George treated the actors like talking props, who had to be shunted into place so they fitted into the CGI backgrounds. The only time the prequels come alive, in terms of character interaction, is the 3-way duel with Darth Maul. This of course was choreographed by someone else, and had no dialogue.

Ultimately, the OT had the alchemy of innovative technologies, captivating storytelling and entertaining characters. The prequels had plenty of the first element but barely a trace of the other two.

That and people never wanted a prequel anyway.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gohmak posted:

Folks must have really liked Wing Commander.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

gohmak posted:

You can speak for yourself. I wanted prequel material in the late 80s.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

gohmak posted:

This statement means no one ever has to take you seriously in this thread ever again

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

computer parts posted:

Folks must have really liked Wing Commander.

MrBigglesworth posted:

You can speak for yourself. I wanted prequel material in the late 80s.

Rogue Elephant posted:

This statement means no one ever has to take you seriously in this thread ever again

These posts are pretty dense. It's not difficult to understand that the poster meant that nobody specifically wanted the new Star Wars movies to be a prequels, they just wanted new Star Wars movies. Which isn't such a weird or controversial statement, I think.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
If you weren't secretly more excited that the prequels meant possible sequels in the future then I dunno what to tell you.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Mazreal posted:

If you weren't secretly more excited that the prequels meant possible sequels in the future then I dunno what to tell you.

I was secretly befuddled because I thought "Huh, so these movies aren't taking place after RotJ? OK, I guess." I think people here are vastly overstating how common prequels were before The Prequels came out.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

If you think about it, statistically speaking the most represented ethnicity in Star Wars is Maori.

Yeah but people get upset when I say they all look the same :bahgawd:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Grendels Dad posted:

These posts are pretty dense. It's not difficult to understand that the poster meant that nobody specifically wanted the new Star Wars movies to be a prequels, they just wanted new Star Wars movies. Which isn't such a weird or controversial statement, I think.

People absolutely would not stop talking about the prequels throughout the 80's and 90's. Lucas had to answer questions all the time about, "When are you going to make those prequels?" and, "Are you ever going to make movies covering the Clone Wars?" Even my mom in the mid-90's talked about how she heard that Lucas would probably never get around to making movies about the Clone Wars, but that she really hoped he did. I guess that's what happens when you start your movie series on "Episode IV". People get kind of obsessed thinking about parts 1-3. It was this weird, mysterious Holy Grail of sci-fi movies. "The Star Wars Prequels" was the thing everyone wanted, but never thought we'd see.

So it is kind of weird to see someone say no one wanted them.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I think it's just weird that he went back and decided that he started at "Episode IV".

If he could have left it alone and started it at 'I' instead of going back and renaming it to 'IV', nobody would have cared.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Grendels Dad posted:

I know I've seen a "deleted" scene that showed him on Alderaan as the Death Star blew up the planet, but that turned out to be a fan video. There's the "WEESA FREE!" at the end of RotJ that could or could not be Jar Jar. But it's totally Jar Jar.

I could of sworn that was some sort of deleted scene in Episode 3 where after Pap's forms the Empire he summons Jar Jar into his office and thanks him for all the services done. gently caress it Jar Jar was a sith lord's ghost playing the long con.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

It helps that MacGregor had a real enthusiasm for the part. He's even said now he'd be up for appearing as Obi-Wan in some capacity in spin-off material.

Dude was and is a giant Star Wars nerd and no matter how the production went, he can say "I played Obi-Wan Kenobi in a Star Wars movie, I have played the exact same role as Sir Alec Guinness." And it's one of those things where he can legitimately say that it's not a take on the same character, it's literally, actually, 100% the same character, written by the guy who created it. And it's a role no one else will ever be able to play, outside of some voice actors (and I'm sure Ewan would have zero qualms about doing voice work for a Star Wars cartoon).

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Hopefully he ended up with more positive memories than negative. The prequels overall aside, I don't see many complaints about his portrayal of Obi-Wan and if anything people feel bad that he didn't get put in a better film. I think I might've preferred no Qui-Gon and for Yoda to be Obi's mentor back at base, but for him to be largely working solo in Episode I to leave more room for his own bond with Anakin. I never loved how Anakin is basically Qui-Gon's labor of love for the first movie as opposed to someone Obi-Wan formed a bond with independently.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The best part of the DVD Ep. I documentary is when Ewan does a stunt fall off the catwalk in the big saber fight, jumps up right after "cut!" and says "My agent says 'd'you wanna be in Star Wars' and I say 'Too fuckin' right!'"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grendels Dad posted:

I was secretly befuddled because I thought "Huh, so these movies aren't taking place after RotJ? OK, I guess." I think people here are vastly overstating how common prequels were before The Prequels came out.

They had certainly been done before. Temple of Doom is set entirely before either of the other two films and large parts of Godfather II are set way before the first film.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Rogue Elephant posted:

People wanted ROTJ sequels firstly, more Star Wars secondly. The prequels where like ok I guess they can answer some poo poo before we can get to sequels. Disney is fulfilling what was rumored years ago. After the prequels will be a sequel trilogy with three spin offs.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 13, 2015

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

computer parts posted:

They had certainly been done before. Temple of Doom is set entirely before either of the other two films and large parts of Godfather II are set way before the first film.

I'm willing to bet that only a fraction of everyone who watched Temple of Doom over the years is even really aware that it's set before Raiders of the Lost Ark. I mean people who don't post on Internet message boards about these movies.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

The best part of the DVD Ep. I documentary is when Ewan does a stunt fall off the catwalk in the big saber fight, jumps up right after "cut!" and says "My agent says 'd'you wanna be in Star Wars' and I say 'Too fuckin' right!'"

There's also his palpable excitement at getting to choose his lightsaber hilt. He very clearly had been looking forward to that day from like the moment Lucasfilm offered him the role.

The closest comparison to this I can think of is Oscar Isaac describing getting the call from his agent saying "they want you" and him sitting in his hotel room, wondering if he could do it, and then picking up a bottle of shampoo and making lightsaber noises while swinging it around and going "yeah, I'm gonna do this so hard."

Electromax
May 6, 2007

DominoDancing posted:

I'm willing to bet that only a fraction of everyone who watched Temple of Doom over the years is even really aware that it's set before Raiders of the Lost Ark. I mean people who don't post on Internet message boards about these movies.

For me it manifest as "why the gently caress would he dump Marion for this harpy".

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Electromax posted:

For me it manifest as "why the gently caress would he dump Marion for this harpy".

Oh what giant birds. Indy!! *feints*

Kate Capshaw is the worst.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

computer parts posted:

I'm not saying they haven't been done before, I just find the notion strange that fans in the 90s and 80s had been wringing their hands in anticipation of prequels and not just straight-up sequels. Apparently I'm wrong and they did just that, but it's not something I have seen reflected in my cultural environment at all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
When the movies I grew up loving were episodes 4, 5, and 6...yeah, I was way more excited to backfill 1 2 and 3 than to press forward.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And Wedge is Ewan's uncle.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SirDrone posted:

I could of sworn that was some sort of deleted scene in Episode 3 where after Pap's forms the Empire he summons Jar Jar into his office and thanks him for all the services done. gently caress it Jar Jar was a sith lord's ghost playing the long con.
I believe this was a Robot Chicken sketch. You do clearly see Jar-Jar giving some statement around the time when they hold another pro-Sheev enabling vote, though I don't think you hear what he's saying.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Electromax posted:

Hopefully he ended up with more positive memories than negative. The prequels overall aside, I don't see many complaints about his portrayal of Obi-Wan and if anything people feel bad that he didn't get put in a better film. I think I might've preferred no Qui-Gon and for Yoda to be Obi's mentor back at base, but for him to be largely working solo in Episode I to leave more room for his own bond with Anakin. I never loved how Anakin is basically Qui-Gon's labor of love for the first movie as opposed to someone Obi-Wan formed a bond with independently.

This was literally what the first draft Lucas wrote for TPM was like. He intentionally gave Obi-Wan's role to Qui-Gon in subsequent drafts, and pushed Obi-Wan to the side while making him sort of an intolerant jerk.

SirDrone posted:

There was a scene like this that was written but never filmed. It was about Jar Jar fully accepting his new status as a soulless politician, thus completing his arc.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Cnut the Great posted:

There was a scene like this that was written but never filmed. It was about Jar Jar fully accepting his new status as a soulless politician, thus completing his arc.

This is actually hilarious to me. George in response to the people bitterly hating Jar Jar, removes him from the movies by making him a high class politician in the galactic senate. I think the only thing that would piss the ultra-spergs off more than two more movies of hapless alien goonery is the canon being forever tainted with the stupidity of senator Binks.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Cnut the Great posted:

This was literally what the first draft Lucas wrote for TPM was like. He intentionally gave Obi-Wan's role to Qui-Gon in subsequent drafts, and pushed Obi-Wan to the side while making him sort of an intolerant jerk.

I'm sure it's been brought up before, but other then Anikan he's the only character that goes through change in the trilogy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Possibly Chicken posted:

I'm sure it's been brought up before, but other then Anikan he's the only character that goes through change in the trilogy.

I'm not convinced he actually does. Stick TPM Jar Jar into a robe and let him speak before the senate and I'm pretty sure you'll get the same result. Conversely, there is nothing about RotS Jar Jar that makes me believe he wouldn't crotch himself on a tank turret when thrown onto a battlefield. He undergoes change because he moves from swamp to senate, but he still remains a clueless dolt.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

mitochondritom posted:

This is actually hilarious to me. George in response to the people bitterly hating Jar Jar, removes him from the movies by making him a high class politician in the galactic senate. I think the only thing that would piss the ultra-spergs off more than two more movies of hapless alien goonery is the canon being forever tainted with the stupidity of senator Binks.

He may have been given reduced screen time because of that, but there's no reason to think the intended endpoint for his character changed. Jar Jar is repeatedly identified with Anakin in TPM, so it's perfectly logical that he'd eventually end up losing his soul to the Empire as well. Jar Jar is the personification of innocence, randomness, and the natural world. Darth Vader is the antithesis of all those things.

Possibly Chicken posted:

Obi-Wan changes drastically. He starts off wanting nothing to do with Anakin in Episode I, and by Episode III ends up loving him like a brother. At the end of the Mustafar duel, he admits to Anakin that he has failed him as a mentor, whereas before he had always blamed Anakin for the shortcomings in their relationship. Then, for the first time in his life, he runs away from a battle and tries to end it peacefully by warning Anakin away, which gives him the "high ground" and allows him to win against his more physically powerful opponent.

Yoda starts off the trilogy obsessed with his inability to see far enough into the future to predict events. In fact, the very first dialogue exchange in the trilogy has Qui-Gon remarking to Obi-Wan about the subtle flaws in Yoda's philosophy. By Episode II, Yoda has become so frustrated by the dark side's shroud over the future that he's all too happy to take matters into his own hands by wielding a lightsaber against the Sith and commanding an army of clones. At the end of Episode III, Yoda realizes this is a flawed strategy, admits that he has failed, and gratefully becomes Qui-Gon Jinn's apprentice.

Padme also goes through change. In Episode I, she starts off only making decisions based on what other people tell her is the wisest course of action. It's only at the end of the second act that she makes a decision on her own, defying the advice of both Palpatine and Qui-Gon Jinn, and returns to Naboo to fight. This is when she stops speaking in a stately monotone as Queen and instead begins to sound angry. In Episode II, she starts off being against both the idea of an Army of the Republic and of a romantic relationship with Anakin. By the end of the film, she's changed her mind about both. You can even trace the changes in her character in Episode II by paying attention to her wardrobe:

In this shot, she's dressed in the same purples as her handmaiden, who acts as her double (or clone) on Coruscant after Padme leaves with Anakin for Naboo.

Here, she's dressed in the same whites as her clone companion, who has replaced her handmaiden in the shot. The implication is that Padme herself has become a clone. She started slowly transforming from the moment she gave her clothes to her handmaiden to wear in her place:

After she leaves her handmaiden to "become" her, Padme's wardrobe goes through several iterations, until the scene at the midpoint of the movie where she firmly rejects Anakin's advances, dressed entirely in black. After this point, her wardrobe goes through several more iterations until the scene in the garage where she finally falls in love with Anakin, at which point she begins to dress entirely in white, like a clone trooper, and also like a bride. She continues to dress in white until the end of the film,

which is a bookend to the very beginning of the film, when another Padme "clone" is seen wearing white (with black trim), which shortly thereafter is charred entirely black by the fiery explosion which engulfs her:

The implication is that Padme's white wedding dress, too, is a harbinger of death by fire. And as we see, she has her heart broken on the fire planet Mustafar after Anakin constricts her throat in anger. This, in turn, is a callback to the scene in the prior movie where Padme is seen wearing black, with a choker around her neck:

The prequels' main characters have far richer (not to mention more intricately constructed) arcs across their trilogy than any of the characters in the OT do, aside from Luke and Darth Vader. This isn't surprising, because Lucas had sixteen years in between trilogies to grow as a storyteller.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 14, 2015

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cnut the Great posted:

The implication is that Padme's white wedding dress, too, is a harbinger of death by fire. And as we see, she has her heart broken on the fire planet Mustafar after Anakin constricts her throat in anger. This, in turn, is a callback to the scene in the prior movie where Padme is seen wearing black, with a choker around her neck:

The prequels' main characters have far richer (not to mention more intricately constructed) arcs across their trilogy than any of the characters in the OT do, aside from Luke and Darth Vader. This isn't surprising, because Lucas had sixteen years in between trilogies to grow as a storyteller.

Whoa. Alright, I like this one quite a bit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cnut that is loving great. Luke has similar white black wardrobe tells as well.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

eurghhh this is why these movies were so bad, look at how fake and plastic the trooper looks. Even the SWTOR youtube movie clips look better. I love that they're going mostly props for the new movie. It really makes a difference.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Werent the original suits made from plastic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Lascivious Sloth posted:

eurghhh this is why these movies were so bad, look at how fake and plastic the trooper looks. Even the SWTOR youtube movie clips look better. I love that they're going mostly props for the new movie. It really makes a difference.

If you don't think there's going to be as much CGI in The Force Wakes UP as there was in the PT, you're a fool. All this nonsense about "things haven't changed but everything changed" is a clear and specific marketing image to distance the new movies from the prequels, specifically targeted to the Comic Con mouth breathing grown up toy collector fanboy crowd.

We have a character that is 100% CGI mo-caped in the ST. (Sequel Trilogy). I just coined that term.

Really, don't be so dumb as to get caught up in the marketing.

• Locked thread