Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Warhead/Stinger was great, and Icewave/Chomp was worth it just for seeing Chomp get torn the gently caress up.

The other two matches were really bad and boring. I want Bronco to get busted up because it's basically Fun Killing in robot form. Stinger at least does fun flips n' poo poo.

I do look forward to Ghost Raptor's eventual win in the final match after all of its future opponents spontaneously break down shortly into their matches. I felt bad for the Warrior Clan dudes, because that was a gimme win for them that went as wrong as possible through seemingly no fault of their own or through anything GR did.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

No way, Bronco flipping Plan X on its rear end in like 5 seconds was hilarious. Also ironic because it only won its qualifying match because the circular saw thing it fought flipped itself over. What was Plan X's weapon even, just that dippy flame thrower?

I always wonder why people don't have mechanisms to right themselves.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

IRQ posted:

No way, Bronco flipping Plan X on its rear end in like 5 seconds was hilarious. Also ironic because it only won its qualifying match because the circular saw thing it fought flipped itself over. What was Plan X's weapon even, just that dippy flame thrower?

I always wonder why people don't have mechanisms to right themselves.

Some of the backstory footage or whatever you want to call that showed it had a large vertical spinner. The version they brought to the competition, however, was a lot smaller and either wasn't working or was woefully underpowered and did precisely gently caress all against Wrecks and it didn't look like they even managed to power it up against Bronco.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Warhead/Stinger was great, and Icewave/Chomp was worth it just for seeing Chomp get torn the gently caress up.

The other two matches were really bad and boring. I want Bronco to get busted up because it's basically Fun Killing in robot form. Stinger at least does fun flips n' poo poo.

I do look forward to Ghost Raptor's eventual win in the final match after all of its future opponents spontaneously break down shortly into their matches. I felt bad for the Warrior Clan dudes, because that was a gimme win for them that went as wrong as possible through seemingly no fault of their own or through anything GR did.

Nah man, Bronco is great. It punishes bad designs in spectacular fashion.

For instance, if it goes up against Icewave, it could end up a pretty interesting match. It really has to get under Icewave's low profile, and in doing so it risks getting too close to the spinner from any angle.

Stinger might be able to give Bronco something to consider too, since it should be able to right itself if it isn't just tossed clear out of the ring.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I imagine in bronco vs icewave bronco would wnat to charge in and get a flip as fast as possible and hopefully take just the one hit. Icewave would be pretty hosed upside down.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

I want Bronco to get busted up because it's basically Fun Killing in robot form. Stinger at least does fun flips n' poo poo.

Bronco bot is the bomb.

I like that the question "will it flip?" when it comes to the other bot is always a resounding "you're goddamn right it will" :ms:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

mashed_penguin posted:

I imagine in bronco vs icewave bronco would wnat to charge in and get a flip as fast as possible and hopefully take just the one hit. Icewave would be pretty hosed upside down.

They absolutely will, Inertia Labs has a lot of experience beating horizontal spinners. They build extremely tough bots. Expect them to put on an extra long flipper arm to reach under the blade like they did with T-Minus vs Hazard.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mashed_penguin posted:

Bronco also looks like it's built really solid. It's small and hasn't got much bullshit on it so that 250 lb limit could have been used on making it heavily armored.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

IRQ posted:

Bronco also looks like it's built really solid. It's small and hasn't got much bullshit on it so that 250 lb limit could have been used on making it heavily armored.
The shielding around the wheels looks impressively thick. I wouldn't be surprised if they can take a couple of hits before giving, which would be enough for the opponent to end up upside down.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Nah man, Bronco is great. It punishes bad designs in spectacular fashion.

For instance, if it goes up against Icewave, it could end up a pretty interesting match. It really has to get under Icewave's low profile, and in doing so it risks getting too close to the spinner from any angle.

Stinger might be able to give Bronco something to consider too, since it should be able to right itself if it isn't just tossed clear out of the ring.

Bronco first has to go up against Stinger and presumably Tombstone before Icewave and both require Bronco to be able to out maneuver both. Tombstone's spinner is probably at a higher rpm than Icewave's as well as a higher mass, which probably compensates for it having a lower torque due to arm length (it's probably calculable if the numbers were available). Both are more maneuverable than Icewave, but Tombstone's spinner looks to have a slightly higher ground clearance (I could be wrong) while Stinger looks straight up impossible to immobilize without severely damaging at least three of its tires.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Xelkelvos posted:

Bronco first has to go up against Stinger and presumably Tombstone before Icewave and both require Bronco to be able to out maneuver both. Tombstone's spinner is probably at a higher rpm than Icewave's as well as a higher mass, which probably compensates for it having a lower torque due to arm length (it's probably calculable if the numbers were available). Both are more maneuverable than Icewave, but Tombstone's spinner looks to have a slightly higher ground clearance (I could be wrong) while Stinger looks straight up impossible to immobilize without severely damaging at least three of its tires.

Stinger's tires seem to damage themselves though.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

IRQ posted:

Stinger's tires seem to damage themselves though.

It feels like he uses a really soft rubber in comparison to the other bots, or just the fact that theyre bright yellow that we can see the damage so visibly.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Xelkelvos posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Bronco just ends up launching Stinger out of the arena and getting a ring out on it, to be honest. That flipper has some major force behind it.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Stinger is the descendant of Sewer Snake, who has won multiple titles while having 3 or 4 shredded tires, including against Tombstone's big brother. It's one of the top bots there, this bracket is lovely with Tombstone, Bronco, and Stinger all on the same side. I'd favor them against the rest of the field, with only Icewave and maybe Lockjaw standing a decent shot of upsetting one of them (though Tombstone always has the potential to wreck itself).

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 8, 2015

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I just can't see Tombstone having a good shot against Bronco. All it's gonna take is one good hit to the underside of the blade to misalign it, and Bronco is so well armored that it can probably take at least a few solid hits before it's in trouble.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Etalommi posted:

Stinger is the descendant of Sewer Snake, who has won multiple titles while having 3 or 4 shredded tires, including against Tombstone's big brother. It's one of the top bots there, this bracket is lovely with Tombstone, Bronco, and Stinger all on the same side. I'd favor them against the rest of the field, with only Icewave and maybe Lockjaw standing a decent shot of upsetting one of them (though Tombstone always has the potential to wreck itself).

You forget, Biteforce is in the other bracket, and I think it's as good as the three you highlighted. I'm skeptical IceWave will win everything since it can't self-right and the arena has ring-outs. I'm thinking the finals will end up being Biteforce vs Stinger/Bronco/Tombstone.

We haven't seen Hypershock yet of course... it may be good. I doubt it'll beat Tombstone or Icewave but it could be an interesting fight for Bronco or Stinger, if one of them beats Tombstone.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
IceWave has a gas engine that is pretty exposed. It already caught fire once from relatively little abuse. I suspect a single hit to that engine from Tombstone would take it out.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

hayden. posted:

IceWave has a gas engine that is pretty exposed. It already caught fire once from relatively little abuse. I suspect a single hit to that engine from Tombstone would take it out.

Actually, it didn't catch on fire. They said in the most recent episode that it was a lithium battery fire which was in the lower portion.

Regdin
Aug 31, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Icewave has a 40lb blade with a tip speed of 300mph while Tombstone has a 80lb blade with a 400mph tip speed, that fight wont even be close.
Icewave's blade is all steel while Tombstone's blade is aluminum with chrome molly teeth.

Regdin fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 10, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Regdin posted:

Icewave has a 40lb blade with a tip speed of 300mph while Tombstone has a 80lb blade with a 400mph tip speed, that fight wont even be close.
Icewave's blade is all steel while Tombstone's blade is aluminum with chrome molly teeth.

poo poo. Yeah. That's almost no contest. The only way Tombstone would lose in a head on fight would be because of mechanical problems after impact or something. It's too thick to really deflect any impact, but it's already shown, I think, that its spinner could strike the wall or floor a few times and come out fine.

Regdin
Aug 31, 2013
This is why Tombstone is using an aluminum blade, this is what happens when your steel blade eats the wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlqG6c5tJ9U

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Xelkelvos posted:

poo poo. Yeah. That's almost no contest. The only way Tombstone would lose in a head on fight would be because of mechanical problems after impact or something. It's too thick to really deflect any impact, but it's already shown, I think, that its spinner could strike the wall or floor a few times and come out fine.

The only thing Icewave has is it could high-angle Tombstone with its wedge+weapon combo and in the ensuing chaos, potentially get a hit on Tombstone's exposed wheels. It's possible.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I am so glad wedge bots are gone. That fight is dull as poo poo.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

The only way Tombstone would lose in a head on fight

Icewave really has to find a way to get behind Tombstone. But you could say that about anyone vs. Tombstone I suppose.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

So someone asked earlier why Biohazard wasnt entered despite being fairly popular. I'd assumed the "active weapons only" rule kept it out of the fight but it turns out the bot was damaged so badly by Megabyte and Brutality in the 2005 Combots tournament that it couldnt be repaired and was retired. This is its fight vs Megabyte, with the damage shown afterwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ngygH4ii8

It got hosed up pretty bad. I cant find a video of the Brutality fight but considering that Brutality is basically a heavyweight version of Hazard I can imagine how it went.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

"Give me some War Head"

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
The Bronco/Stinger match looks like it's gonna be pretty cool (2 minute clip, doesn't reveal winner):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsgp0PWbpoo&t=1372s

It'll be a shame to see one of them (probably Stinger) knocked out of the tourney though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Drowning In Terror posted:

The Bronco/Stinger match looks like it's gonna be pretty cool (2 minute clip, doesn't reveal winner):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsgp0PWbpoo&t=1372s

It'll be a shame to see one of them (probably Stinger) knocked out of the tourney though.

Bronco's recovery was great, that fight looks like it's gonna be a highlight reel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If Bronco's flipper could recover faster the match would have been over almost immediately again. He's right up under Stinger in the corner.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aphrodite posted:

If Bronco's flipper could recover faster the match would have been over almost immediately again. He's right up under Stinger in the corner.

I haven't watched it, but the guy last time said it was compressed air they needed to refill, so it probably takes some time for the tank to pressurize the flipper's piston.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, that's what I meant. If the recovery time was a bit shorter they would have launched Stinger out right there.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Oh man this show is back, not the biggest fan of the new format (easily could be 20minutes shorter with the same net content) but still great. :3:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Witch Doctor performed better than I thought it would.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

One less wedge bot.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
That was tight.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

gently caress off Wedgie!

Eat fire!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Witch Doctor and Shaman continue to own, even when Shaman's flamethrower is busted.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

Witch Doctor and Shaman continue to own, even when Shaman's flamethrower is busted.
Shaman needs to call the Gas Company because it's gotta faulty pilot light.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Can't wait to see Tombstone tear apart a terrible, yet sleek-looking bot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

TOMBSTONE :getin:

• Locked thread