Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
english muffin
Feb 1, 2012
the likes of you and I
I....really? Okay.

OP, you're British. Do you know who Alan Partridge is? Because I read your whole post in his pompous, awkward, over-confident voice which I think probably livened it up no end.

So thanks for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Huh. This is surprisingly not-horrible.

As for bronies: there are plenty of adult fans who enjoy the series without being totally creepy spergs. A friend of mine is under a lot of stress trying to work and care for his family, and an occasional episode of ponies (as well as reading stories and engaging with the casual fandom) really helps cheer him up. He's also dealt with some self-reflective issues when he recently realized he was bi, and stuff like MLP with its sense of silly fun and positive message of acceptance has helped him reconcile his issues in how he identifies himself (that is, it's fine to have a girly side and not be a total manly man 24/7).

Frankly, so long as you're not obsessing over how much you wanna gently caress Rarity or something I don't see what's so bad about adult pony fans. Some of them come out with amazingly well done stuff.

Yes, that's John de Lancie himself voicing that Professor Pony.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ShadowCatboy posted:

Frankly, so long as you're not obsessing over how much you wanna gently caress Rarity or something I don't see what's so bad about adult pony fans.

They're obsessed about a cartoon written and produced for very small children. This is not healthy in any respect.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ShadowCatboy posted:

Frankly, so long as you're not obsessing over how much you wanna gently caress Rarity or something I don't see what's so bad about adult pony fans.

Liking something is much different to calling oneself a brony. The specific term leans much closer to the former than the latter. At least for bronies specifically.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

They're obsessed about a cartoon written and produced for very small children. This is not healthy in any respect.

I'm pretty sure MLP: FiM was written for a broader audience, even though its primary target was originally young girls. It's kinda like how most Disney/Pixar movies are normally marketed towards young kids, but adults can enjoy them a lot too. In fact, a while back Spongebob Squarepants had a pretty notable following among gay men, and it wasn't anything creepy (that I know of, at least).

That being said, I don't think adults liking kids shows is innately disturbing or unhealthy. What sets off alarms is more the level of obsession. Like, I wouldn't really rag on anyone who likes watching the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for example, but then there's this chick.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ShadowCatboy posted:

Spongebob Squarepants had a pretty notable following among gay men, and it wasn't anything creepy
That's because liking Spongebob didn't become their identity and the thing they describe themself as, like they were still "I'm a Minnesotan" or "I'm a banker" or even "I'm a gay dude" not "I'm a Spongie, yeah, let's only engage with this media ever and also everything in my house is branded with this product, even the utensils in my kitchen drawer"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ShadowCatboy posted:

I'm pretty sure MLP: FiM was written for a broader audience

Nah its written for preschool girls, if you like a thing for preschool girls, just like it, don't try to be all "hm hm well yes the writers are clearly writing for a hmm broad audience" just like a thing for kids, it won't kill you

source: im really into Sailor Moon

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Travis343 posted:

Nah its written for preschool girls, if you like a thing for preschool girls, just like it, don't try to be all "hm hm well yes the writers are clearly writing for a hmm broad audience" just like a thing for kids, it won't kill you

source: im really into Sailor Moon

The original japanese was fairly violent for its time, it had a lesbian couple, and dealt with a lot of fairly mature topics.

Presumably you're referencing the dub that used to come on in the morning in which case it's a night and day difference (Sailor Says Brush Your Teeth!). Sailor Moon is one of the shows that absolutely killed dubs for me because of its censorship and localization.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

jiffypop45 posted:

The original japanese was fairly violent for its time, it had a lesbian couple, and dealt with a lot of fairly mature topics.

Presumably you're referencing the dub that used to come on in the morning in which case it's a night and day difference (Sailor Says Brush Your Teeth!). Sailor Moon is one of the shows that absolutely killed dubs for me because of its censorship and localization.

Yeah thanks it's 2015, I have seen the original japanese cut of Sailor Moon. It is still a show for children, just one that didn't insult their intelligence. The best kid's media, from Sailor Moon to say, Where The Red Fern Grows, acknowledges that kids can process complex topics on levels that grown ups rarely give them credit for. I think it was CS Lewis who said something about being older gives you the freedom to not be embarrassed to enjoy media intended for children. Just like a thing for kids, it's alright.

And this is getting off topic but the new Viz dub is really really good, incredibly faithful to the original, uncut, and great voice actors. Check it out.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

english muffin posted:

I....really? Okay.

OP, you're British. Do you know who Alan Partridge is? Because I read your whole post in his pompous, awkward, over-confident voice which I think probably livened it up no end.

So thanks for that.

Yes, I know who Alan Partridge is. I'm not flattered. ;p

cumshitter posted:

How did we gloss over this and let Obdicut and the rest of the D&Dtards talk about the ~proper~ way to discuss the anthropomorphizisastization of animals? Did I miss the telling of this story or something?

To be honest, the story is pretty much that. Horsefucker dude and I had disagreement, he then had the security team (normally either obese or skinny-as-rake types with radio earpieces and low self-esteem, though there are one or two decent professionals there) literally stalk me throughout the con. To the point where I even had a shadow when I went with a long midnight walk with my girlfriend to get away from the con. It'd sound like I'm being paranoid, except that both my shadow at that point (when asked) and the Horsefucker stated (later) that was what they were doing. I realise this sort of fails to get across the unpleasantness of it all, but it's really loving freaky being constantly followed.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Travis343 posted:

Yeah thanks it's 2015, I have seen the original japanese cut of Sailor Moon. It is still a show for children, just one that didn't insult their intelligence. The best kid's media, from Sailor Moon to say, Where The Red Fern Grows, acknowledges that kids can process complex topics on levels that grown ups rarely give them credit for.

This seems to be common with some other similar children's shows. Some seasons of Kamen Rider for example tend to tackle some more 'serious' issues, with Gaim for example having the literal genocide of 6/7ths of the Earth's population as an important plot point.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Doctor Who is a show for children and so is all the other dross you mentioned. Japan is not unique in addressing 'mature' subjects in children television. Crafting your identity around children television, Japanese or not, is laughable.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Paladinus posted:

Crafting your identity around children television, Japanese or not, is laughable.

There ya go, fixed that for ya.

Don't let media be the core of your identity, folks.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Camrath posted:

To be honest, the story is pretty much that. Horsefucker dude and I had disagreement, he then had the security team (normally either obese or skinny-as-rake types with radio earpieces and low self-esteem, though there are one or two decent professionals there) literally stalk me throughout the con. To the point where I even had a shadow when I went with a long midnight walk with my girlfriend to get away from the con. It'd sound like I'm being paranoid, except that both my shadow at that point (when asked) and the Horsefucker stated (later) that was what they were doing. I realise this sort of fails to get across the unpleasantness of it all, but it's really loving freaky being constantly followed.

What was the disagreement? This story is interesting to me because I have never been gangstalked.

Like maybe 6 years ago or so SA got involved with those anti-Scientology protests and I happened to live near the Los Angeles celebrity center at the time. The Center's response to the protests, which happened several blocks away on Hollywood Boulevard, was to have the dorkiest dudes imaginable stand around with their arms crossed while making sure their khaki pants didn't slide below their nipples. So that's the mental image I have for the security detail that stalked you.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

cumshitter posted:

What was the disagreement? This story is interesting to me because I have never been gangstalked.

Like maybe 6 years ago or so SA got involved with those anti-Scientology protests and I happened to live near the Los Angeles celebrity center at the time. The Center's response to the protests, which happened several blocks away on Hollywood Boulevard, was to have the dorkiest dudes imaginable stand around with their arms crossed while making sure their khaki pants didn't slide below their nipples. So that's the mental image I have for the security detail that stalked you.

Holy poo poo, change the khaki pants for black and it's exactly the right look.

The disagreement is rather complex, but essentially I was running a fight-training panel and had also been given permission by the con management to give private training sessions. (I teach LRP combat professionally as a business sideline) Got harassed by security every time we tried to get a session going (despite getting it cleared beforehand), and they ended up just always being there. It was genuinely creepy as well as highly unpleasant.

Fake edit: I'd never actually figured it as 'gang-stalking' before, but that fits perfectly. It always sounds crazy when you describe it, but it really gets under your skin.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Please tell us why you know the dude who headed the security detail is a horse fucker. And also how you know he is a nazi. I'm sitting here like Al Bundy with my hand three knuckles deep into my pants waiting for you to tell me all the details.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

AnthroCon held its first outdoor fursuit parade this year. It was like 82 degrees and not too humid, but still a hell of a day for 45 minutes of fursuits.

http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/business-tech-news/check-out-photos-from-the-2015-anthrocon-fursuit-walk-aka-the-furry-parade/

It looks like it was pretty well-received, and that lots of kids came out to see the fursuits. Pittsburgh seems to be pretty chill overall about the event. I wasn't there, but several friends went downtown for the con and related festivities. I guess I'm sharing this because it's nice to see some aspect of the community that isn't causing immediate revulsion? v:shobon:v (It's also fun to spot the bad suits...)

I also wanted to point out that no kids were being molested, but I forget which poster in this thread was so super concerned about that happening. Can't call him out if I don't remember his name. :P

(Edit: Fixed a typo.)

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 18, 2015

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:staredog:

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!

I saw him. He was hated by pretty much everyone. What a loving tool. :furcry:

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

cumshitter posted:

Please tell us why you know the dude who headed the security detail is a horse fucker. And also how you know he is a nazi. I'm sitting here like Al Bundy with my hand three knuckles deep into my pants waiting for you to tell me all the details.

Sorry for the delay in reply- was a busy weekend. The nazi aspect is only widely spread rumour to be fair (though on the face of it it rings true), however as for the bestiality.. He outed himself in 2014 by using a letter 'zeta' on his fb and Twitter profiles. This is a 'secret sign' that zoophiles use to identify each other. This was bought to the wider world's attention by a blog used to call out bad behaviour in the fandom, and once it was made public a lot of people came out of the woodwork to say they knew about his proclivities. Of course, the reaction from the majority of the fandom? Zip. Aside from those who started claiming it was a man's right to stick his dick into livestock. More details on the link below:

http://furry-fandom-jerks.tumblr.com/post/100827040884/i-would-have-never-have-noticed-the-significance

I still find hard-right furries to be a complete and utter mystery. It just makes no sense to me whatsoever. :/

Camrath fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 14, 2015

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

'Nazi Horsefucker' reminds me that Nazi furries are a thing. Why are Nazi furries a thing? It always seems like it's more than just a fascination with Hugo Boss' sense of fashion, it goes into all sorts of dark places and just augh, why are there furries with a Nazi fetish? Are they devout anti-semites or just generally horrible people?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Yeah, what's the point of being a white supremacist when you don't even identify with being a human at all?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Yeah, what's the point of being a white supremacist when you don't even identify with being a human at all?

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Yay Blacksad!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Literally the best comic I've ever read.

When I was dying for the English release of tome 5 (Amarillo), my boyfriend bought me the French version and singlehandedly translated the whole thing for me. With post-it notes for every speech bubble :3:

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I love Blacksad, the gorgeously drawn watercolor noir comic that just happens to feature anthropomorphic characters. And that is super duper sweet, Hedri. :3:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Oh man, Blacksad had run in a popular magazine here. drat good comic. :allears:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Camrath posted:

I still find hard-right furries to be a complete and utter mystery. It just makes no sense to me whatsoever. :/
You wouldn't expect somebody often ridiculed for their interests to become intolerant reactionary bully, yet here we are with gamergaters and nazi furs.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

'Nazi Horsefucker' reminds me that Nazi furries are a thing. Why are Nazi furries a thing? It always seems like it's more than just a fascination with Hugo Boss' sense of fashion, it goes into all sorts of dark places and just augh, why are there furries with a Nazi fetish? Are they devout anti-semites or just generally horrible people?

Helldump once got ahold of some girl who drew Nazi furry art and she came to post in the thread. She at least just liked the uniforms. I mean, yeah, on one hand the Nazis were crazy stylish, but on the other hand, they were loving Nazis.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

This is completely okay because I'm not at all alarmed by the presence of little kids there.

Came out of the closet and proud to be socially stunted. Also Heil Hitler. Definitely no paedos in there.

Yup.

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013

Camrath posted:

The hard-right furries have been around drat near forever, at least going back to when Jim Groat was relevant. Part of it comes from, I think, the sci-fi fandom that came in when Albedo got published back in the day. The rest of it probably showed up as a reaction to the really stupid stuff that showed up in the mid-to-late 90's (i.e. most of what Mark Merlino was involved in).

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Oxxidation posted:

Helldump once got ahold of some girl who drew Nazi furry art and she came to post in the thread. She at least just liked the uniforms. I mean, yeah, on one hand the Nazis were crazy stylish, but on the other hand, they were loving Nazis.

Well to be fair Nazi fetishism IS a thing in the BDSM subculture. For some enthusiasts it's probably to reflect the whole heavily authoritarian "I'm gonna tie you down and hurt you so bad it's gonna be good" sorta aesthetic. Not exactly the most classy of kinks, but it's there and not just a furry thing.

PantherWill posted:

The hard-right furries have been around drat near forever, at least going back to when Jim Groat was relevant. Part of it comes from, I think, the sci-fi fandom that came in when Albedo got published back in the day. The rest of it probably showed up as a reaction to the really stupid stuff that showed up in the mid-to-late 90's (i.e. most of what Mark Merlino was involved in).

I believe they're called confurvatives.

These portmanteaus will never be not-hilarious.

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013

ShadowCatboy posted:

I believe they're called confurvatives.

Nowadays, they just call themselves Objectivists.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason why some fursuits have flat-out terrible color schemes? The typical grey and white husky dog is okay, or even a purple fox with a white tummy and paws isn't burning my retinas, but who the hell sinks a small fortune into a cappuccino-brown-and-lime-green cat and thinks "Yes, this is good, this is how I want the world to see me"? It makes me suspect that there's a higher rate of colorblindness in the furry population, except many of them are commissioning someone else to do it.

I also need to know if this guy with the 30-lb. tail is just weird or if there's an entire subfetish of enormous body parts.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

TunaSpleen posted:

if there's an entire subfetish of enormous body parts.

Oh boy. Who wants to tell him?

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
I know about weird poo poo like inflation and vore, I meant like just the really big tail, which is oddly specific.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

TunaSpleen posted:

I know about weird poo poo like inflation and vore, I meant like just the really big tail, which is oddly specific.

well imagine this... vore and inflation...... with a really big tail

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well that certainly isn't going to go down easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

my cat is norris posted:

I also wanted to point out that no kids were being molested, but I forget which poster in this thread was so super concerned about that happening. Can't call him out if I don't remember his name. :P

With this sort of thing, it's hard to tell if someone here is sincerely concerned for the kids' safety, or if they just think that blindly hurling accusations of pedophilia and bestiality is still funny.

• Locked thread