Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I think they have been on the "A tier" (I just made that up) for quite a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I'm surprised we haven't seen Chris Pratt on the podcast yet. What with the connections they have to Marvel, Parks and Rec, and Legendary putting out Jurassic World.

Robert Downey Jr. and some of the other Marvel heavy hitters would be nice. Angelina Jolie and/or Brad Pitt would be super fascinating. Jolie has a film coming out with Legendary so that might be a possibility. Other Friends alums would be great. Kudrow was a super good episode. JJ Abrams again post Star Wars would be incredible.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart are the ones I'd like to hear. I mean, they work(ed) for the same network, yet they haven't been on the podcast ever, right?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

radlum posted:

Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart are the ones I'd like to hear. I mean, they work(ed) for the same network, yet they haven't been on the podcast ever, right?

Well they're both in New York and super busy though.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
:lol: at Kumail giving a trigger warning before the John DiMaggio interview. Even he knows gamers are, by and large, a bunch of emotionally fragile crybabies.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Less than 10 minutes into the latest hostful I realized why I've liked this year of Nerdist more than the previous one; a lot less Matt and Jonah

EDIT: So Chris is now dating another model, the granddaughter of William Randolph Hearst and daughter of Patty Hearst. Chris has a very amusing life.

radlum fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 1, 2015

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Katie Walsh was excellent.

Train Surgeon
Jan 14, 2012
Wayne Knight was as well, as it went on he was speaking more and more of the time.
there could still be a sitcom about his PI adventures you guys!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Just finished listening to that episode as well, fantastic stuff. They have been on a roll recently.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Jippa posted:

Just finished listening to that episode as well, fantastic stuff. They have been on a roll recently.

The Andrea Romano that dropped today was fantastic, too.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I can never decide if simon amstell is funny or not. He has the art of creating awkward situations down to a tee though. He does have some interesting observations though.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Quite joined the Gillian Anderson episode. Never watched X-Files but love her in Hannibal and The Fall.

I'm excited for the Bill Gates episode whenever they release it.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Amstell was great. Not nearly enough guests give Hardwick and the others poo poo.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Digital Jedi posted:

Quite joined the Gillian Anderson episode. Never watched X-Files but love her in Hannibal and The Fall.

What's your problem? Watch The X-Files.

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

They should really make a page for FAQs. I'm so tired of hearing at least one person ask an "Any advice for people trying to make a podcast?" question at every live show, or just about every time they take quemments.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Walrus Truck posted:

They should really make a page for FAQs. I'm so tired of hearing at least one person ask an "Any advice for people trying to make a podcast?" question at every live show, or just about every time they take quemments.

Could be worse, when I saw them at the 930 Club a few years back, there were numerous questions about what they thought about Doctor Who. I can't recall if they all made the posted version of the episode.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
Matt Mira + live show = insufferable prick.

I have many proofs of this equation.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm still amazed at finding out that Brian Cox was in D Ream. To non brits these two names probably mean nothing anyway.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I was only aware of Brian Cox because his wife picks fights with trans people on twitter.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jippa posted:

I'm still amazed at finding out that Brian Cox was in D Ream. To non brits these two names probably mean nothing anyway.

Don't worry, things can only get better.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Jippa posted:

I know Brian Cox, but I have no clue what D Ream is.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCtK0E50OLc

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

They had another song?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

The Dark One posted:

I was only aware of Brian Cox because his wife picks fights with trans people on twitter.

For what it's worth, I'm sure there's some real comedy here. Also: RIP Leonard Nimoy

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

They had another song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj4wcuo9Mgo

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yup, that's pretty much their one song!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I love Michael McKean, that was a great episode.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That latest Jeff Bridges was very zen near the end there.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Johhny Cusack not quite telling the truth about Better Off Dead there. Nice of him to admit he was probably a bit of an rear end in a top hat. But his words after the screening were that Steve Holland has made him look foolish. He only did One Crazy Summer out of obligation and wasn't speaking to Holland at the time, so it's a little bit more than just oh I was just giving out the wrong impression. He can't even bring himself to use Holland's name. Just keeps referring to him as The Director.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Is this the place to talk about the Pete Holmes podcast? Because I just got into it recently.

Was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for episodes? (I've heard the Bert Kreisher and Emily Gordon ones that come highly recommended)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I have been getting into it as well. Jimmy Kimmell was hilarious. My favourite episode so far was David O'Doherty who you may not know who he is but their conversation was probably the best I've heard yet. They both get on really well and discuss pretty much every thing. Like I say even if you don't know him I would really recommend it.

http://nerdist.com/you-made-it-weird-142-david-odoherty/

Apart from that i would just keep working back through old episodes. Most of them are pretty good.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 12, 2015

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The John Hodgman and Chris Gethard ones are both great.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah, if you like the guest then you'll almost certainly always enjoy the episode, Pete does tend to do a good job of of getting the best from people.

In terms of actual recommendations, I specifically remember the Jon Hamm episode being even more enjoyable than I'd expected.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

VagueRant posted:

Is this the place to talk about the Pete Holmes podcast? Because I just got into it recently.

Was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for episodes? (I've heard the Bert Kreisher and Emily Gordon ones that come highly recommended)
I have heard way too much of Pete Holmes' podcast so I relish this opportunity. Hodgman and Gethard are both great episodes, here's some more.

Going through them it's hard to not list a TON of episodes, so the ones that stand out from memory...

Anthony Jeselnik (big comedy talks)
Harris Wittels (second one is the big heroin one :( )
Duncan Trussell (Duncan is a fascinating weirdo)
Matt Besser (comedy talks mostly, though Besser's religion stuff is fun)
Bo Burnham (both of his made me really like him as a human being, the second one more than the first though)
Chelsea Peretti (all of them, especially the one where they play clips from all the times where Pete has mentioned her on the show. Her and Pete have a great back and forth)
Sara Schaefer (there is crying in the episode I almost did as well, good ep)
John Mulaney (comedy talks)
Zach Creggor (my favorite kind of episode where Pete and the guest just get along and talk about all kinds of weird poo poo)
Jason Mantzoukas (ZOOKS)
Thomas Middleditch (one of the best of all time, it's from fall 2011 so Thomas was in a very different place than he is today. he and Pete talk a lot how they used to be really close friends then stuff happened, and a lot of talking about how you can be friends and be a professional comedian and the problems that comes with)

Those are the names that appear on the first year of the podcast, obviously some of their reappearances will come after that but I think this covers some big ones from the first year. I left off most of the first 10 but they are all absolutely worth listening to, a lot of people like Kumail, Moshe, and TJ Miller who are good friends with Pete. I tried to pick out ones that are fascinating regardless of whether or not you like the guest, but looking at that list most of them are big huge comedy people now so whatever.

Lemme know if you want more I have no other use for this information

edit: also, going to HIGHLY reccomend the Jessica St. Clair episode. It's probably longer than any episode before it, but Jess and Pete know each other from a while back and they have toooons of hilarious stories and realtalks.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

cams posted:

edit: also, going to HIGHLY reccomend the Jessica St. Clair episode. It's probably longer than any episode before it, but Jess and Pete know each other from a while back and they have toooons of hilarious stories and realtalks.

Great list! Also liked Bill Nye for a very different look at him, Moshe Kasher #2 for the run of bits at the start, Larry Charles for some elder comedy statesman, "Weird Al" because him and Pete mesh interestingly, Kristen Schaal (was a fan, but learned a lot of new things about religion and her past), and the Montreal JFL 2014 live episode. Also whichever live episode (Outside Lands? Outlands?) had the e-trade baby weirdness.

Excited for the live YMIW in Montreal two weeks from now! Added a bunch of your recommendations for a pre-festival re-listen.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 13, 2015

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Sometimes I'll search out my favourite comedians as guests on other podcasts (a strangely complicated search sometimes) and I found it worth listening to Pete as a guest on Joe DeRosa's show on the subject of "tension". He did a couple of appearances, but as a fan of some of Pete's philosophical ramblings, I got some nuggets out of something a little simpler than a normal Pete Holmes podcast episode.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I've really learned to not take people on first impressions (or at least my first impressions are often completely wrong). I remember not particularly liking pete when he was on the nerdist (my first exposure to him).

Now I really like him.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I've just realised you're all not talking about Pete Davidson.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Piquai Souban posted:

Also whichever live episode (Outside Lands? Outlands?) had the e-trade baby weirdness.

Excited for the live YMIW in Montreal two weeks from now! Added a bunch of your recommendations for a pre-festival re-listen.
I don't know which one it is, but I THINK it's the live episode with Eric Andre, cause they talk about that incident on Andre's episode.

PS Eric Andre's episode is amazing too. Good to truly understand the chaotic man that is Eric Andre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I was at the 2013 Montreal JFL episode and Eric Andre was on what seemed like another planet.

• Locked thread