Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Cool, I'll check out Guerilla Cricket on Thursday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Test Match Sofa was alright until all the usual hangers on from the periphery of cricket journalism got involved and they started taking it a bit too seriously and it became just a very bad version of Test Match Special.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lionel Richie posted:

Test Match Sofa was alright until all the usual hangers on from the periphery of cricket journalism got involved and they started taking it a bit too seriously and it became just a very bad version of Test Match Special.

I thought it was funny for about 3 days then they started getting ideas above their station and it went poo poo.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I wish The ACC did every game of cricket.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I don't remember listening to Test Match Sofa that often to be honest - talk of streaming commentary reminded me of its former existence.

I'd like to do the mute Sky and listen to Test Match Special commentary thing but it always seems so out of sync every time I try it so I give up :(

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Watson even managed to find a way to get lbw while fielding.

https://youtu.be/eClTImoL9gU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

That is so awesome!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A lot of the sofa people are doing county reporting for the BBC now.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

serious gaylord posted:

I thought it was funny for about 3 days then they started getting ideas above their station and it went poo poo.

isn't this very common for these sort of things though

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Negligent posted:

We should let Watto play at lord's so he can do this again:

Stop being so mean to me!

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
This is such a good eulogy of Watto, I ... unironically now like the retarded idiot.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/jul/14/australia-cricket-dont-cry-for-shane-watson

Goodnight, sweet prince. This world was never meant for one as beautiful as you.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...s-Anderson.html

According to Ponting, having a few beers with the English team was the reason they lost the Ashes in '05. Which may be why Clarke rebuffed Cook's offer of camaraderie and a few beers in the dressing room after the first test.

Turning down a beer.

It doesn't matter whether Australia wins the Ashes; They've already lost.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I am actually literally Paul Keating irl

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Negligent posted:

Quality work by Watto as always, but I kind of agree with him looking at Clarke and asking him why he would throw it like that when he could have just walked up and taken the bails off.

Asides from the pleasure he would have gotten from pegging a ball at Watto at that range, of course.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

-Spiffy- posted:

This is such a good eulogy of Watto, I ... unironically now like the retarded idiot.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/jul/14/australia-cricket-dont-cry-for-shane-watson

Goodnight, sweet prince. This world was never meant for one as beautiful as you.

Holy poo poo how had I never heard Watson's "I thought it was a heart attack but it was just diarrhoea" story before lmao

He's the punchline that keeps on giving! For example:

Negligent posted:

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

About a quarter of the way through whitewash to whitewash now, it's a pretty good read even if some passages are a little incoherent given the writing style when they talk about the back room political bullshit.

It kind of gives a bit of insight into how Watson stuck around initially through some form slumps (definitely doesn't explain how in the hell he's still around) and paints clarke in a not too great light. Ricky Ponting too was kind of a poo poo captain without Warnie, Mcgrath and a million runs to fall back on.

The insight into the bullshit surrounding spin bowlers, how Hauritz was treated and how Australia gave away an Ashes game on a pitch tailor made for spin bowling is incredible. How Andrew Symonds didn't kill the entire BCCI rep team out to defend Harbajan Singh is incredible and how more people other than Katich didn't choke Clarke out is incredible.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

iajanus posted:

Quality work by Watto as always, but I kind of agree with him looking at Clarke and asking him why he would throw it like that when he could have just walked up and taken the bails off.

Watto is innocent in the entire sequence. Why did Haddin decide to float the ball over a raincloud to Clarke instead of throwing it to Watto? And Clarke had plenty of time to gather the ball and either dislodge the bails or wait for Watto to get out the way.

Between this and the article that Spiffy posted, maybe I like Shane Watson (?!). If he's an outcast in this decade's insufferable Australia squad, it must mean he's a good lad with amiable social qualities.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Negligent posted:

This is funny because he was almost out of the way and then jumped back across the stumps.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

runoverbobby posted:

maybe I like Shane Watson (?!). If he's an outcast in this decade's insufferable Australia squad, it must mean he's a good lad with amiable social qualities.

I'm a born again Wattoer, praise be unto his front pad.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

runoverbobby posted:

Watto is innocent in the entire sequence. Why did Haddin decide to float the ball over a raincloud to Clarke instead of throwing it to Watto? And Clarke had plenty of time to gather the ball and either dislodge the bails or wait for Watto to get out the way.

Between this and the article that Spiffy posted, maybe I like Shane Watson (?!). If he's an outcast in this decade's insufferable Australia squad, it must mean he's a good lad with amiable social qualities.

There's a good passage in the book I mentioned above. Shane Watson managed 126 runs in the first innings of a 2010 test match against India, that night at a team meeting Clarke (who scored I think 14) in front of the rest of the team said that Watson should've been scoring faster. The next innings Watto scored 56 off 56 balls, at one stage there was a drinks break and he'd made 40 off 28 balls or something and he told the drinks runner to ask Clarke if that was fast enough for him. Pretty sure the middle order collapsed that game too.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
While Watson is an outsider when it comes to the swaggering arsehole prototype like say McGrath he is a bit petulant. Like the infamous Gayle send off or the sulking second innings run chase that blindsite just brought up.

So I don't know if I would call him an anti hero. He is just bad in a different way. Also he got plenty of chances. It's not like he was chased out the side like say a katich type.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I quite like this description of Watto:

quote:

galloping in like an athletic fridge

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

runoverbobby posted:

It's also entirely possible that he's an arsehole that doesn't get on with all the other arseholes.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

-Spiffy- posted:

I actually feel for him now. We should have just let him open, and screw the bowling.

One of the comments (I know, I know) had a good point:

quote:

His only crime was that he wasn't Keith Miller.

Obviously that's a lot to ask, but the point was that everyone wanted him to bowl a bunch and bat at six like a normal all-rounder. It should have been pretty clear, after all his injuries and his success at the top of the order, that his batting was the stronger suit.

Should have left him opening and just get him to wobble a few down like a better part-timer. Then we could have had a proper all-rounder at six.

webmeister posted:

It's also entirely possible that he's an arsehole that doesn't get on with all the other arseholes.

Though this is always a possibility.

gently caress, the team must be really poisonous sometimes, you wonder why people want to get in (if they aren't already Clarke's best buddy or whatever).

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 14, 2015

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

If he's such an unlikeable outcast why has he been inexplicably kept around for so long? Everyone else like that gets hounded out even if they're pretty good.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Look at O'Keefe he is statistically the best spin bowler in first class cricket but struggles to get a fun because everyone who has ever played with him hates him.

I absolutely agree that Watson should have been seen as a batsman who can bowl at a pinch. More like Waugh than flintoff but let's face facts the guy averages under 40. He has been pretty bad since Clarke took the top job. He averaged 41 under ponting which isn't anything to write home about but an opener up near 45 is doing a job.

He has averaged 31 under Clarke from more games.

He is a big cumbersome oaf that had some potential and didn't live up to it. Lots of cricketers don't kick on at international level but not many have been given 60 tests.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

If he's such an unlikeable outcast why has he been inexplicably kept around for so long? Everyone else like that gets hounded out even if they're pretty good.

This question has puzzled us for years!

The selectors are just really attached to the idea of a guy who can tie down an end, pick up a few handy wickets and score a fifty with the bat. Watson has only ever looked briefly like that guy (and usually in dead rubber games which indicates another problem entirely), but I'd guess he's kept around because they don't have anyone better - and because occasionally he does look like a good player.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Dean Jones was an outsider that got dropped because the coach didn't like him. He played less tests than watto.

Obviously players do play a lot more cricket now but Watson isn't too far off Ray Lindwall in caps and Lindwall was one of Australians best cricketers. Other cricketers in the ball park of Watto Benaud, Simpson and redpath. All certainly much better cricketers than Watson.

And considering his injury history he probably would have played more cricket. Clarke is also injury prone and has played 110 tests over roughly the same period. I can remember Watson getting dropped too often once he was established.

He is different for an Australian cricketer in personality sure but we can't forget that he also sucks and has been sucking it up for years now.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Burn Down Canberra posted:

He is a big cumbersome oaf that had some potential and didn't live up to it. Lots of cricketers don't kick on at international level but not many have been given 60 tests.

This is a big thing. Watson has been 'showing potential' for 10 years whilst never quite living up to it. Better cricketers have been dropped long before then.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

He is a big cumbersome oaf

He's the hero Goons deserve, but not the one they need right now.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

quote:

But Watto was different. Watto was tall. Watto was strong. Watto was handsome.

:swoon:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

the tallest of poppies

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is a big thing. Watson has been 'showing potential' for 10 years whilst never quite living up to it. Better cricketers have been dropped long before then.

This is the crux of it for me. He's had 60 Tests to prove himself and still never managed it. Imagine if Usman Khawaja or Rob Quiney was given 60 Tests to prove themselves

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Chennai Super Kings and the Rajasthan Royals have been suspended for two years lol

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
What for? Something corrupt I assume.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
IPLol

Look at O'Keefe he is statistically the best spin bowler in first class cricket but struggles to get a fun because everyone who has ever played with him hates him.

I've always been curious about what makes O'Keefe so allegedly unlikeable.

I'm surprised Faulkner hasn't been given more of a run in the test side as he's proven to be one of the most important players in the ODI side, and his only test was decent. Of course, his recent DUI has hosed up his Australian chances for the near future.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

-Spiffy- posted:

Mods rename me "This Fragile Tuba"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Doctor Cave posted:

I've always been curious about what makes O'Keefe so allegedly unlikeable.

He's a book reader.