Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gamestop realized holding a copy of chronotrigger wasn't costing their stores any money and some idiot on the internet would pay 89.99 instead of emulating.

Anatharon posted:

So apparently star citizen actually became a real game? i don't care if it's bad or good or whatever, but is that a true statement or is it just technically functional in a loose defintion of the term 'game'

they released a very bad 6 person pvp module called arena commander and a hanger module that lets you see the ship they fooled you into buying. they delayed their fps module that was supposed to be out already and nothing else has a release date.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

i don't know anything about star citizen other than it's probably never going to be fully completed and you spend a lot of money on virtual spaceships

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Derek Smart posts in the Star Citizen thread, which I find absurdly amusing.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Yeah I'd never buy any retro stuff from Gamestop but I'm interested in seeing it there as a morbid curiosity.

Definitely going to play Earthbound out of respect to Mr. Iwata. Hopefully I can get past Fourside this time. Would also like to play some Mother 3, which I got a lot farther in (I got to some point in Chapter 6 I think it was).

Also I think it is the funniest loving thing in the god drat universe that Derek Smart of all people is leading the charge against Star Citizen. A terrible part of me wishes he ends up getting a successful suit just so I can die laughing.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Motto posted:

in any decent sized town there'll be some game/general media store that has a bunch of old videogame stuff

oh ok just independants i guess then? to be fair i dont even know if thats true over here cos the only chain has been shutting stores and dont have any near me anymore, but the local shop has absolutely everything. massive selection of mega drive and dreamcast games actually.

there were two used dreamcasts in there a couple of weeks ago, and when i went in last week one had gone

the other one is looking v tempting tome.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I have a nerd store in my area but they price their games pretty high too. They charged $30 for Suikoden 3 when it went for less on PSN. They had games like PS2 Wizardry and PS2 King's Field though which was interesting

Anatharon posted:

So apparently star citizen actually became a real game? i don't care if it's bad or good or whatever, but is that a true statement or is it just technically functional in a loose defintion of the term 'game'
Nah its still not anything yet

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Use Killapps Fallout 2 Restoration Patch

I'll try that next time.

I don't want to nerd it up too much but I thought the game did a really good job of conveying its theme of power struggles on the micro and macro scale. Factions struggling for control of tiny towns, big cities trying to gain control of the larger area, and ultimately, facing a group that wants to control everything and represents the various biggest powers in the present day, carried forward as an isolated group into this post-apocalypse fiction.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Quest For Glory II posted:

I have a nerd store in my area but they price their games pretty high too. They charged $30 for Suikoden 3 when it went for less on PSN. They had games like PS2 Wizardry and PS2 King's Field though which was interesting
Nah its still not anything yet

I have one close buy that somehow through the power of magic put earthbound up for $300.00 no box plain cart.

Yeah, theyre high.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Real hurthling! posted:

they released a very bad 6 person pvp module called arena commander and a hanger module that lets you see the ship they fooled you into buying. they delayed their fps module that was supposed to be out already and nothing else has a release date.

That's still a hell of a lot more than i expected out of that loving farce of a "game" so kudos I guess

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's thanks to the nerd store though that I have obscure rear end games like Legaia 2. So at least there's that. BUT NO SHADOW HEARTS

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's thanks to the nerd store though that I have obscure rear end games like Legaia 2. So at least there's that. BUT NO SHADOW HEARTS

Even back when Gamestop was selling PS2 games, Shadow Hearts was a title that was kind of a pain to get a hold of.

I remember I had to go into a Gamestop that had a stairway leading down to it because the store was located under street level. And I walked into a big spider web, and that remains to this day the only time I've walked into a big spider web while going to the store.

It was one of Midway's few published RPGs.

But you know what Robot Alchemic Drive is probably even more of a pain to get a complete copy of now. Meanwhile poo poo like Jade Cocoon 2, Grandia 2 and 3, Dragon Quarter, Radiata Stories, and many other JRPGs can be gotten for dirt cheap.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 14, 2015

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
One Gamestop I went to had 60 copes of Rogue Galaxy.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
If you're buying a used game then why not just emulate/:filez: it since the developers aren't going to make any money off of your purchase anyways and 99% of the time an emulator will give you the superior experience.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Shadow Hearts 1 being a preorder bonus for 2 really helped circulate more copies. I picked 1 at a local Gamestop a few years ago. I'm glad of I've got copies of all 3 and Koudelka, though the latter is getting a PC emulation port soon.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sleeveless posted:

If you're buying a used game then why not just emulate/:filez: it since the developers aren't going to make any money off of your purchase anyways and 99% of the time an emulator will give you the superior experience.

because "better on vinyl" has been overapplied to all media and people are dumb hoarders

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The PS2 has poo poo that people don't even realize was released for it. Like Both Space Channel 5 games were released on the PS2 in America under a single compilation.

Or Falling Stars which has art direction that will make your eyes bleed.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

The Taint Reaper posted:

The PS2 has poo poo that people don't even realize was released for it. Like Both Space Channel 5 games were released on the PS2 in America under a single compilation.

Yeah PS2 was so dominant that everything was there.

Such as this, The Gregory Horror Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bXmXoPLM_w

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Taint Reaper posted:

Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe too.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Accordion Man posted:

I remember getting those for nothing because they were all freebees when gamestop was liquidating their PS2 poo poo. Vietiful Joe 2 was also going for like 99 cents or some insane price because everything was 90% off and it was Buy one Get One Free.

King's Field 4 was $2.50

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Real hurthling! posted:

because "better on vinyl" has been overapplied to all media and people are dumb hoarders

B-b-but it's got the arcade feel!
________/

Accordion Man posted:

Those were both originally Gamecube games and work way better on it, the load times for the PS2 version of Killer7 were awful.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

when i was a teenager i used to think about how cool it would be to have the actual arcade cabinet for TMNT 2 or the Simpsons Arcade Game in my mansion when i got rich, but i think even if i had a mansion, there are probably better ways to play both of those games if i really, really wanted to.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
most people use a MAME board to do arcades.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

The Taint Reaper posted:

most people use a SUPERGUN to do arcades.

Well, i do have a stack of old bootlegs with Jamma adapters..

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The PS2 had a lot of rad action games that were dragged down by forced stealth/platforming levels that every other game from the era fell victim to. Like Blood Will Tell, a batshit game about a Japanese guy whose limbs and organs were stolen by demons so he has them replaced with prosthetics that have swords and machine guns in them and goes off to fight 48 different boss battles to get them all back. Or Shadow of Rome, which was a sequel to Shakespeare's Julius Caesar play and let you smash people's heads with maces or beat people to death with their own limbs after you cut them off.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Sleeveless posted:

The PS2 had a lot of rad action games that were dragged down by forced stealth/platforming levels that every other game from the era fell victim to. Like Blood Will Tell, a batshit game about a Japanese guy whose limbs and organs were stolen by demons so he has them replaced with prosthetics that have swords and machine guns in them and goes off to fight 48 different boss battles to get them all back. Or Shadow of Rome, which was a sequel to Shakespeare's Julius Caesar play and let you smash people's heads with maces or beat people to death with their own limbs after you cut them off.

Fuuuuuuuuck, I want a Shadow of Rome sequel or reboot with only the coliseum parts.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sleeveless posted:

I never actually got into torrent stuff in my life, I'm sure it's not difficult but I just never bothered. Life found a way to make most things convenient up until this PS2 generation. But even PS2 does have a number of games available in the PSN.

Also I have a working fat ps3 so I do like to have physical PS2 games. If that old horse dies then I dunno. PCSX2 i guess. For now though I just keep a list open on Amazon and check the Amazon Seller prices.

e: I'm hoping the Internet Archive is able to continue to defend their copyright exemption and eventually preserve most console libraries from the past because it's already cool that you can play every Genesis game on there, even though their emulator is not very good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
shadow hearts 3?

hello sailor

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

man metro last light is wayy better than 2033. guns still feel like you're shooting air but the level design, pacing, set pieces make me actually want to play.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The blowback from the new Rayman IOS game is amazing. :allears:

You know all that poo poo you could do for free in Rayman origins and Legends? You know like limitless continues? Everything is charged money now and it apparently made a ton of people angry because there's a ton of land of the livid dead gently caress YOU sections that you need time to memorize.

This is probably going to wind up being bigger than Assassin's Creed not working correctly.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

man metro last light is wayy better than 2033. guns still feel like you're shooting air but the level design, pacing, set pieces make me actually want to play.

never mind this post, i just got to the on rails cart section where you need to push a dead train half a mile. zzzzzzzz gently caress metro.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

omfg rocket league is seriously amazingly fun

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Taint Reaper posted:

You know all that poo poo you could do for free in Rayman origins and Legends? You know like limitless continues? Everything is charged money now and it apparently made a ton of people angry because there's a ton of land of the livid dead gently caress YOU sections that you need time to memorize.

This is probably going to wind up being bigger than Assassin's Creed not working correctly.

Do you have to buy the game? What else did people expect?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Do you have to buy the game? What else did people expect?

I don't think you get it, it took me 2 hours of dying before I was able to beat Land of the Livid Dead.

For this game nearly every stage had some contrived bullshit to block you to the point where you need the buyable items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tkepcWyB9U this is land of the livid dead from origins, this is how on the ball you need to be. The IOS game apparently doesn't flow nicely like Legends did and really soured a ton of people who wanted a real third installment.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

That game isn't out until fall so I'm not sure how people can already find things to get upset about

This is the third rayman game on iOS anyway

e: ah they released it despite saying "this fall"

I'm a download it

wtf it's not available in the US gently caress u ubisoft

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 14, 2015

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
"That's the kind of thing you say to your boyfriend, when you're kissing him goodbye."

Yeah, between this and RUNNING MAN I'm gonna have to finish MG2 after all. Even if Metal Gear 1 and 2 have a ton of issues, they have the best boss names, like SHOT MAKER and DIRTY DUCK.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh god damnit I'm like an hour late for bed gently caress off rocket league don't do that just one more game thing to me

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Colonel posted:

"That's the kind of thing you say to your boyfriend, when you're kissing him goodbye."

Yeah, between this and RUNNING MAN I'm gonna have to finish MG2 after all. Even if Metal Gear 1 and 2 have a ton of issues, they have the best boss names, like SHOT MAKER and DIRTY DUCK.

I'm going to warn you about the poisonous zanzibar hamsters right now because the game is not making GBS threads around with naming them that, believe me.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Colonel posted:

Don't forget MACHINE GUN KID.

I hope Kojima brought those guys back for Phantom Pain.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Colonel posted:

Don't forget to play the GBC metal gear because it is also great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

did anyone else play the absolutely bonkers GBC Perfect Dark

• Locked thread