Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008
i have a GEAR brand backpack for player stuff that's a little small but sturdy, and just got a huge rear end tron bag for goalie equipment. it seems nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
In non-bag related chat: seriously, goddamn... this hockey poo poo is hard. This might be the most hockey/ice related things I've done in one week in my life. :toot:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Man. I have an 11pm game tonight. The wife had a ladies' night out to dinner/drinks/movie and was supposed to be home ten minutes ago, but after the movie found herself still somehow too drunk to drive. (this is an issue because we have small kids) Raawwrrr.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Habibi posted:

Man. I have an 11pm game tonight. The wife had a ladies' night out to dinner/drinks/movie and was supposed to be home ten minutes ago, but after the movie found herself still somehow too drunk to drive. (this is an issue because we have small kids) Raawwrrr.

Very inconsiderate.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

real_scud posted:

Then halfway through the 2nd our youngest skater, a kid of about 22-23 got cross-checked around the head or had some guy do a douche move. A penalty was called and a minor scrum happened between our guys and theirs but nothing major. Then as he's going to the box the young kid on our team decided to call the other guy a friend of the family (even though he's a hipster-ish white guy) and that's all she wrote for his playing time that game. Of course because he got a 5, 10 and game misconduct someone had to serve his penalty, so while it should've been a 5 on 5 we had to play a man down until the player serving the idiots penalty got out.
It's time for an update on this, and a chance for everyone to laugh!

This kid got sent an email from the league director about what he did and that he was going to be suspended for 2 games because of his actions, nothing major and honestly only 2 games was pretty decent.

But this kid being a complete shitheel had some other ideas entirely, here's his response to a calm email stating he was banned for 2 games because he threw his stick, used a racial slur and was a general rear end in a top hat to the refs.

Idiot on my team posted:

First of all. The word "friend of the family" is not a racial slur, I live with a black man. A friend of the family, IMO, is a POS person, such as that guy that has repeatedly came after me for the past two season. But next time I'll just call him a gently caress face, and meet him in the parking lot. He also hit me in the face with his stick, but no one seems to care about that, I did not strike the guy in anyway, but he did to me, multiple times. So thank you for your biased bull poo poo suspension.

Also. I did not throw my stick at anyone, I can do with my $150 stick as I please and if I choose to throw it at the wall in anger I can do so. I think this is bullshit and completely unfair. You my friend, are terrible at your job.

Have a good day.
What. A. loving. Moron. :negative:

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Outstanding.

That has cheered me right up. I needed that. Thanks.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Bradf0rd posted:

Very inconsiderate.

Tell me about it. She got home less than fifteen minutes before puck drop (barely enough time to just get to the rink), having not told me she was even on her way, and got upset that I wasn't going to the game after all. Sigh.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Nitramster posted:

Ace and I won our game, everyone showed up for both teams and put on a good game. Ace had a goal in game 1 and I had one in game 3. I believe that means anytime a goon scored on our team we win (reg season too). Chalk one up to sashpt elitism.
Game 1 : 2-1
Game 2 : 0-5
Game 3 : 3-1 (last night)

Throughout the season we sorta just shook our head at the other teams skill level, they were whooping everyone in aluminum pretty badly all through the season, but now that our motley band of subs and last minutes beat them when it counted I'm not sure about that. Did we just get better as a team, did they drop off, or were they just not as good as we thought? Anyway gives me a bit more appreciation for the league managers that have to deal with division balance.

Did you guys move up? We lost to the C's tonight.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Well, I had fun at stick&puck yesterday. We were playing some 5 on 5, and we were shooting on a Shooter Tutor-type board, and this big like 6'3" guy on the other team in a Solar Bears jersey is in front of the net, actively blocking shots. With no upper body padding and not even a visor. So naturally I take a wrister from the point (and trust me, my shot sucks) and he turned away for some reason. It hit him in the hip or maybe lower back. I immediately said "Oh poo poo, sorry!" and he just stares me down, yelling "What the gently caress, dude? TOTALLY un-loving-called for!" and poo poo like that. :what:
Like, am I wrong? I get that it probably stung to get hit, but maybe wear some pads? And/or don't block shots, especially at sick&puck? And yeah he was better than me (even if the ECHL jersey was just for fun) so I'm sure he would say "you have to control your shots", but do you really trust every rando at open hockey? And it's not like I hit him in the face or something...

Anyways, I just kinda hung back and let everyone else shoot from that point out. I got to practice playing D some more, and man does that "arm tucked to disguise your reach" trick work well. I was definitely the worst player out there, as usual, but I broke up a lot of plays with sneaky quick poke checks.

Brettbot fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 13, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I probably wouldn't have shot, but dude was asking for it standing in front of the net. gently caress 'em.

I had the stupidest loving goal last night, race for the puck in a corner, me versus two dudes. I get there a split second faster.. one dude bumps me in the back, other dude gets his stick on my stick. I just blindly swipe at it backhand towards the slot hoping there's a teammate there to make something out of it because with two guys on me there was nothing I could have done.

Puck ends up rolling on edge at maybe walking speed and arcs towards the net. I lose sight of it and a second later everyone on the team starts cheering. Somehow it made it over the goal line completely untouched. Goalie probably felt like poo poo.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 13, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Brettbot posted:

and man does that "arm tucked to disguise your reach" trick work well.

poo poo I forgot ask about this - I need to give this a whirl next weekend.

In continuing div8 news: I was a hot sack of steaming garbage last night. Out there on d for all 3 goals against with the game winner being a shorthanded goal off of a poo poo pass from me picked up in their zone for a breakaway when we were on the PP. Just had such a bad, bad game.
:negative:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I skated 61 minutes out of a possible 65. We had 6 skaters total. We lost 3-2 in OT after giving up 2 goals in the final 1:24 and the ot goal with 17 seconds left. Sometimes there just isn't enough gas left in the tank.

Brettbot posted:

Well, I had fun at stick&puck yesterday. We were shooting on a Shooter Tutor-type board, and this big like 6'3" guy in a Solar Bears jersey is in front of the net, actively blocking shots.

Like, am I wrong?

No. Tell him to get the gently caress out of the way unless he is fishing pucks out of the net or fixing the tutor.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

sellouts posted:

No. Tell him to get the gently caress out of the way unless he is fishing pucks out of the net or fixing the tutor.

Oh yeah, in case I wasn't clear, we were playing 5 on 5. That's why he was blocking shots.

xzzy posted:

I had the stupidest loving goal last night

This is pretty awesome.

Brettbot fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 13, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well then that's a rink fail for allowing players to organize a game during stick and puck.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Brettbot posted:

Oh yeah, in case I wasn't clear, we were playing 5 on 5. That's why he was blocking shots.

Yeah idk in drop ins I try to keep pucks super low but I also don't understand anyone blocking shots in drop in.

Basically bewbies, I don't "get" you

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If it's 5 on 5 and he wants to block shots who gives a poo poo if he got hit with a puck?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I got smacked in the head by a clapper at a pickup game earlier this year while I was covering the point. I was working on getting my defensive zone positioning down as a winger and I'll be drat if the guy didn't wind up head high while I was in front of him.

The puck bent my cage and I'm pretty sure I would have been blinded if it hit me square in the face. The guy was apologetic about it, but I can't believe he wound up like that during a pickup game. Oh well, that's why we wear helmets I guess.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I mean its hockey so while yeah the guy could have tried not to hit you, he was also taking a slapshot which is part of the game and you were in the way. You don't get paid so while you see NHL players standing in front of pucks you certainly don't have to.

Next time just smother him like stink on poo poo so he can't even get a shot off.

While you might not take pickup games seriously, other people do to some degree. I don't expect game 7 of the stanley cup kind of intensity but I do prefer a game thats fast and challenging. I expect slap shots and chippy play as if it were a regular game. Would I take a slapshot with someone in front of me? Probably not, but would I expect someone to ease up? Not really.

Thats one of those situations you just chalk up to experience, the guy sounded apologetic so just skate away and don't put yourself in positions that you would get hit with a puck if thats not what you want to happen..

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Wooty posted:

Did you guys move up? We lost to the C's tonight.

We did not move up, I think they might have just asked some specific players this season?
Our team is now significantly different, Nitramster has abandoned us! Only about half the team came back.
We beat Top Shelf last night 4-3, rough game, they have a new ringer who is significantly faster/smoother than anyone else.
Had to really adjust gap and then just run into him to keep him from sweet dangles.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Haha I knew it wouldn't last. Our game last night was a complete poo poo show, topped off by an elbow being thrown in the hallway going to the locker rooms.

I played on a line with my girlfriend. She had a breakaway and this guy skated her down, actually tackled her and she went head-first into the boards. If my vacation were to start this week instead of next, I would have gladly taken the suspension from telling him how overweight his mother is.

It was a 7-goal game with 5 minutes left, so there was absolutely no need for it. Some people...

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

Chemmy posted:

If it's 5 on 5 and he wants to block shots who gives a poo poo if he got hit with a puck?

Well, he did, that's the thing. I obviously would rather put it in the net than hit the D man. I couldn't believe he got mad after intentionally standing in the way of my shot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I would have gladly taken the suspension from telling him how overweight his mother is.

That makes no sense. You play in a league where sending people headfirst into the boards is SOP but insulting their mom is suspension worthy? :v:

What crazy world do you live in.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I would have punched him first.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Honestly I'd say let her fight her own battles. It's probably tough enough to have everybody either thinking you need special treatment with having your boyfriend jumping up for you.

I mean it's a lovely play by the other guy and this wouldn't come into play if she was a dude but even so. But maybe she wants to be able to stand up for herself. Although I could be wrong and she may not give a poo poo if somebody on her team sticks up for her.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
A truly ridiculous amount of hockey over the next six days. Four different leagues and a hockey camp.

Tuesday: Beer League #1 Game at 8:30p
Wednesday: Beer League #2 Game at 9:40p
Thursday: Weekend Warriors Hockey Camp Ice Session #1 6-8p, Beer League #3 Game at 11p
Friday: Camp Ice Session #2 9-11a, Ice Session #3 3:30-5:30p, Beer League #4 Game at 9:50p
Saturday: Camp Ice Session #4 9:30-11:30a, Ice Session #5 3:30-5:30p
Sunday: Camp Ice Session #6 9:30-11:30a

That's like fourteen hours of ice time. I'm probably going to die. If I do, you can all fight over my stuff.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

My hip-flexors and groin muscles would be dead by the end of the week holy poo poo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm the opposite, the more I skate the better my hips feel.

I typically don't skate from Sunday to Thursday and the first 10 minutes when I step on the ice on Thursdays is pretty drat miserable.

The only part of my body that really suffers with lots of skating is my quads.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
Oh man, I was on the ice for (only) 2 hours last night and I woke up with my hips locked up. I was worried for a few minutes that I wouldn't be getting out of bed. It's all better now, though.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Scored a straight up D2 style knuckle puck goal from the point yesterday. Took a misfired one timer on a misfired pass from my partner, saw it fly four feet into the air and then down to bounce several feet out from the slot. Goalie never stood a chance. And it was mostly downhill for him from there on out.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Verman posted:

I mean its hockey so while yeah the guy could have tried not to hit you, he was also taking a slapshot which is part of the game and you were in the way. You don't get paid so while you see NHL players standing in front of pucks you certainly don't have to.

Next time just smother him like stink on poo poo so he can't even get a shot off.

While you might not take pickup games seriously, other people do to some degree. I don't expect game 7 of the stanley cup kind of intensity but I do prefer a game thats fast and challenging. I expect slap shots and chippy play as if it were a regular game. Would I take a slapshot with someone in front of me? Probably not, but would I expect someone to ease up? Not really.

Thats one of those situations you just chalk up to experience, the guy sounded apologetic so just skate away and don't put yourself in positions that you would get hit with a puck if thats not what you want to happen..

Yeah if you're going to block shots you're going to get the guys that wind it up to try and discourage you from getting in front of it next time. I never shy away from blocking a shot, depending on how far away I am to the shooter. I'm not looking to take one in the chest or in the ankle if there is enough distance between us for the puck to get to a decent amount of velocity. I always think its funny when guys apologize for hitting me with the puck. They obviously wanted to put it on net and I obviously wanted to block it, its part of the game. I just say, If I didn't wanna get hit, I wouldn't have been standing there.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

bgreman posted:

A truly ridiculous amount of hockey over the next six days. Four different leagues and a hockey camp.

Tuesday: Beer League #1 Game at 8:30p
Wednesday: Beer League #2 Game at 9:40p
Thursday: Weekend Warriors Hockey Camp Ice Session #1 6-8p, Beer League #3 Game at 11p
Friday: Camp Ice Session #2 9-11a, Ice Session #3 3:30-5:30p, Beer League #4 Game at 9:50p
Saturday: Camp Ice Session #4 9:30-11:30a, Ice Session #5 3:30-5:30p
Sunday: Camp Ice Session #6 9:30-11:30a

That's like fourteen hours of ice time. I'm probably going to die. If I do, you can all fight over my stuff.

drat that's a lot of hockey and I'm pretty sure every joint on my old self would be all :argh: All I did was two beer league games, a drop in game (way out of my league) a stick'n'puck and a public skate with my girlfriend and the whole right side of my ankle above the knub feels like a gigantic, tender bruise. Apparently I need to reexamine how I'm tying things or jam some foam in there :shrug:

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Haha I knew it wouldn't last. Our game last night was a complete poo poo show, topped off by an elbow being thrown in the hallway going to the locker rooms.

Thunderdome still thunderdomin'

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

bigbillystyle posted:

Yeah if you're going to block shots you're going to get the guys that wind it up to try and discourage you from getting in front of it next time. I never shy away from blocking a shot, depending on how far away I am to the shooter. I'm not looking to take one in the chest or in the ankle if there is enough distance between us for the puck to get to a decent amount of velocity. I always think its funny when guys apologize for hitting me with the puck. They obviously wanted to put it on net and I obviously wanted to block it, its part of the game. I just say, If I didn't wanna get hit, I wouldn't have been standing there.

What I hate is when they freely follow-through into my cage with their stick. Getting hit with the puck in that situation is basically being given a breakaway where you don't have to worry about stick-handling for the first 3 steps.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Wonder if I should do this camp - sounds kinda fun and I suck soooooooo

http://store.seattlethunderbirds.com/product.php?productid=17986&cat=281&page=1

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Duke Chin posted:

Wonder if I should do this camp - sounds kinda fun and I suck soooooooo

http://store.seattlethunderbirds.com/product.php?productid=17986&cat=281&page=1

I would do that in a heartbeat.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Vargatron posted:

I got smacked in the head by a clapper at a pickup game earlier this year while I was covering the point. I was working on getting my defensive zone positioning down as a winger and I'll be drat if the guy didn't wind up head high while I was in front of him.

The puck bent my cage and I'm pretty sure I would have been blinded if it hit me square in the face. The guy was apologetic about it, but I can't believe he wound up like that during a pickup game. Oh well, that's why we wear helmets I guess.

Help me understand this guy's shot. You were playing wing. And the defenseman hit you in the head with a clapper? Exactly where were you standing?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

In the defensive zone wouldn't the defenseman just be slapping the puck down the ice and hit his winger up high?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

His description makes it sound like he was covering his point-man, who fired a rocket with his sand wedge. If so, fuuuuuuuuck that guy. I've seen guys get their asses kicked for sending multiple head-hunters at a drop-in.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 14, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yeah its real dumb, esp. in a drop in.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Dangerllama posted:

Help me understand this guy's shot. You were playing wing. And the defenseman hit you in the head with a clapper? Exactly where were you standing?

Honest to God, about 15 feet in front of him. The puck would have gone over the glass and into the netting. I don't know if it was his stick or he just had a bad release, but it came up high.

Edit: This was the opposing team's defenseman and I was backchecking, not one of my own guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Tell me your worst ref story.