Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

one time we had a woman official

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Bet you wanted to give her the old high stick hehehehehh :ccb:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

probaby a lesbo anyways

noice

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This one time a ref was tired of our center being poo poo at faceoffs and after the game waved the zamboni off and gave the dude a 5 minute tutorial on how to sometimes actually win a faceoff.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Ref calls me offside three times in the same game for skating the puck into the zone backward (I had full control).

Me: "Dude. Read the drat rulebook."

Ref: "When was the last time you saw someone in the NHL do that?"

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That's a definite 50/50 call at my rink. Some refs will call it regardless of if you have control or not. It's pretty annoying.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I thought the official rule was that the puck had to pass beyond the blue line before the last part of the body.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Dangerllama posted:

Ref calls me offside three times in the same game for skating the puck into the zone backward (I had full control).

Me: "Dude. Read the drat rulebook."

Ref: "When was the last time you saw someone in the NHL do that?"

I like the idea of a ref using the NHL as an example for a call. When was the last time you saw an NHL ref just stand there in the path of play like a jackass?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I was thrown out of a game for breaking up a fight. There were two guys fighting and this rear end in a top hat on the other team was the 3rd man in and he started punching the back of the head of the guy on my team. I grabbed the 3rd man in guy and put him in a headlock/nelson type hold and kind of took him to the ice and held him until the refs broke up the other fight. I was then thrown out for fighting while all 3 of the other contributors to said fight were given minor penalties. I completely blew my stack after that and was followed up with a referee abuse penalty. Both fighting and ref abuse are auto-suspensions in my league and of course I was then suspended for the following 2 games which were also the last 2 games of the season. I took a 3 or 4 year break from that league after that and played in another one until it folded up and I had nowhere else to go. That is probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen or been a part of.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hope a fight never breaks out during a game I'm in because I'm not sure what I'd do. I like my teammates and want to back them up, but going beyond chirps isn't really in my nature.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

xzzy posted:

I hope a fight never breaks out during a game I'm in because I'm not sure what I'd do. I like my teammates and want to back them up, but going beyond chirps isn't really in my nature.

I feel the same way. When scuffles break out (which are often against this one team we play) I just get all :yikes: and hope they regain senses soon.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
In between periods sometimes I like to push myself around the ice with my stick upside down like I'm rowing a gondola. I'd like to imagine this is what I would do if a fight broke out on the ice because the security camera footage would be pretty funny for whoever has to review it

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The last fight I was involved in was me being in an actual fight. Wasn't proud of it, but the guy I fought, who easily had at least 80 pounds on me, was trying to hurt someone.

He cross-checked one of my teammates in the back after the whistle, hard, so I got in his face about it. He starts shoving me and won't back down. I'm backing up, and part of me just said gently caress this, dropped gloves and started swinging. It's almost surreal how it happened. I got some shots in.

Also to add, the refs during this entire sequence wanted nothing to do with this. The one ref even said "nice fight" afterward. There were no suspensions.

edit: more about jerkface, he was causing problems with us for a game and a half, and even that same game tried to fight a couple of my teammates before our eventual fight. Guy had issues.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 15, 2015

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
My eventual goal in life is a Gordie Howe hat trick, so a couple of times now I've lined up "fights" against either similarly small older women or alternatively very large good-natured men. Unfortunately so far I either haven't managed to get the goal or assist in in games with an appropriate opponent (and appropriately silly ref), or only got the goal and assist in games that were too serious/chippy to risk a comedy fight.

Pinky Artichoke fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 15, 2015

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

bgreman posted:

A truly ridiculous amount of hockey over the next six days. Four different leagues and a hockey camp.

Tuesday: Beer League #1 Game at 8:30p
Wednesday: Beer League #2 Game at 9:40p
Thursday: Weekend Warriors Hockey Camp Ice Session #1 6-8p, Beer League #3 Game at 11p
Friday: Camp Ice Session #2 9-11a, Ice Session #3 3:30-5:30p, Beer League #4 Game at 9:50p
Saturday: Camp Ice Session #4 9:30-11:30a, Ice Session #5 3:30-5:30p
Sunday: Camp Ice Session #6 9:30-11:30a

That's like fourteen hours of ice time. I'm probably going to die. If I do, you can all fight over my stuff.

Turns out I also have a Sunday night game for Beer League #3.

Day one of Hockey Dream week completed. A close 3-2 loss, but I got trapped back on D (was covering for a dman who'd jumped up in the play) for the GWG and was so pissed at myself. I had the puck with the opportunity to clear and bounced it right off the pressuring forward's cup onto his stick and he blew by me for an easy breakaway goal. Other than that, I had a good game, including bodying up on their SICK DEKEZ home-from-college player and some good puck battle wins down low along the boards.

Unfortunately, after I dispossesed SICK DEKEZ, his follow-up teammate took a hard one-timer on the loose puck, which went off my heel. I've already got a nice bump there, so skating the rest of this week is going to be awesome. Also slightly re-aggravated a strained lower back muscle.

doctor 7 posted:

My hip-flexors and groin muscles would be dead by the end of the week holy poo poo

My groin has been bugging me for a little while, but I had a weekend off of games due to roller derby travel and it's feeling much better. I'm sure after another few hours on the ice it'll be screaming. Anyone got any tips on getting these stretched out properly? I feel like I'm overstretching them (and I make sure to get warmed up before stretching) before puck drop, but I'm afraid of not stretching these muscles enough, too. :downs:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Sooo I'm the only guy on my team with no points after 10 games, woof. I think I've been playing pretty well on defense but I'm getting moved up to forward for a few games so I can have a chance to register on the score sheet. Hopefully I can get something done.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Last night before my game, I noticed there were some rather large players on the studio rink. It was an AHL/NHL camp.

Brandon Bollig, Chris Kunitz and about 6 more guys I couldn't recognize. They were just running drills and such with the blackhawks skating coach Kevin Delaney. Bollig was surprisingly good, he was sniping corners bar down 9 out of 10 shots against the goalie. Our game was getting ready to start. We were very short, not even 2 full lines. They were coming off the studio rink when our game started. They all walked behind our bench to get to their locker room. I leaned back as Bollig was walking by and asked if he could jump in and sub.

He laughed and politely said no.

Everybody dreams of Kane, Crosby, Stamkos etc jumping into a drop in game. I would have taken Bollig. We lost 3-1 against a 10-0 team.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

bgreman posted:

My groin has been bugging me for a little while, but I had a weekend off of games due to roller derby travel and it's feeling much better. I'm sure after another few hours on the ice it'll be screaming. Anyone got any tips on getting these stretched out properly? I feel like I'm overstretching them (and I make sure to get warmed up before stretching) before puck drop, but I'm afraid of not stretching these muscles enough, too. :downs:

When I started doing proper form hockey strides, as in down low with full leg extension, I was pulling my going or hip flexor every two weeks. My groin would take two weeks to heal and my hip flexor would take at least 1 week. So I was basically out of hockey for 2 weeks of a month.

I tried a bunch of stuff but the only thing that worked, and by worked I mean since doing this I have not pulled my groin or hip flexor in 4 months was a modified stretch of this:

Instead of keeping your forward and back leg in a straight line you rotate you back leg about 45 degrees out at the knee on the ground from centre then stretch, then 45 degrees in at the knee from centre. When it's rotated out and you lean forward you *really* feel it in your hip flexor. When you rotate in, it targets the groin. I swear by it and refuse to skate unless I do this twice for each leg holding for 10-15 seconds each time (in addition to all other standard stretching).

I'd link the YouTube video a sports physiotherapist goes into the stretch in detail but I can't find it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Split squats will stretch out the hip flexor too, and give you MSL style quads while you're at it. Good for improving your general mobility in that area instead of just opening it up prior to a skate.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
fuuuuuuck yes first goal in organized hockey! nice rebound popped out as i was crashing the net and i popped it in short side. :feelsgood:

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
So in my trek to learn to skate before I start playing ice hockey I finally got a decent pair of boots on my rental skates. Makes a world of difference, I felt confident and got told by my skating coach that I should be ready to move up to the next level they have in another session or two if I come practice a bit between weekly lessons. The old skates they had there were like cheap leather roller rink skates I remembered from middle school. I was getting a bit defeated after falling down so much trying crossovers last sessions and am now excited again.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

doctor 7 posted:

When I started doing proper form hockey strides, as in down low with full leg extension, I was pulling my going or hip flexor every two weeks. My groin would take two weeks to heal and my hip flexor would take at least 1 week. So I was basically out of hockey for 2 weeks of a month.

I tried a bunch of stuff but the only thing that worked, and by worked I mean since doing this I have not pulled my groin or hip flexor in 4 months was a modified stretch of this:

Instead of keeping your forward and back leg in a straight line you rotate you back leg about 45 degrees out at the knee on the ground from centre then stretch, then 45 degrees in at the knee from centre. When it's rotated out and you lean forward you *really* feel it in your hip flexor. When you rotate in, it targets the groin. I swear by it and refuse to skate unless I do this twice for each leg holding for 10-15 seconds each time (in addition to all other standard stretching).

I'd link the YouTube video a sports physiotherapist goes into the stretch in detail but I can't find it.

Thanks for this. I think my increase in groin strains was also related to developing that deep extension. I do a similar stretch for my hip flexors but without the rotation, I'll throw that in and see if it helps.

Day 2 of Hockey Week is in the books with a 4-1 win in my lowest level league. I spent a lot of time working on keeping moving while on offense to continually get to the open ice and make myself a target for passes. I took some long ones and led a few rushes, including a few that started with a turn and go. Excited for the first day of hockey camp tomorrow, but my foot bruise from last night is killing me. It felt fine after a few minutes on the ice and didn't bother me during the game, but now that my skate's off it's throbbing.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

So in my trek to learn to skate before I start playing ice hockey I finally got a decent pair of boots on my rental skates. Makes a world of difference, I felt confident and got told by my skating coach that I should be ready to move up to the next level they have in another session or two if I come practice a bit between weekly lessons. The old skates they had there were like cheap leather roller rink skates I remembered from middle school. I was getting a bit defeated after falling down so much trying crossovers last sessions and am now excited again.

Oh yeah, it makes such a difference. When I went off to college I thought something terrible had happened to my ankles because suddenly instead of skating in my own (surely cheap and never sharpened) skates I was in rentals and I could never keep my ankles stable, even though I was on smooth indoor ice instead of out on the river. Since then my hometown has built a new ice rink where all the rentals are pretty tolerable lower-end hockey skates.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

I never understood the difference skates made until I went from $150 new skates to $900 skates (on clearance for $300 because I'm not insane). For 30 minutes it was like learning to skate again, but since then it's amazing.

bgreman posted:

Thanks for this. I think my increase in groin strains was also related to developing that deep extension. I do a similar stretch for my hip flexors but without the rotation, I'll throw that in and see if it helps.
Indeed, it's a great stretch because you can really feel it hit those muscles. Everything else I tried sort of hit them a bit but nothing compared to those. I added them to my normal stretch routine before any exercise too because couldn't hurt and I figure it keeps them in use when they normally don't get targeted.

In other news I'm doing 1hr of power skating then 1hr and 15-30minutes of adult learn to play hockey tonight. I'm dieting at a cut of 750-1000 calories a day (so 1.5-2lbs per week) so basically today I get to eat like a normal person due to how many calories skating burns. So not only do I get to play sweet hockey but I also get to drown myself in 500 calories of sweet complex carbs, an extra banana 30 minutes before I hit the ice and then a post workout Clif bar.

Thursday's are easily my favourite day of all time now.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
This might be a stupid question, but if you're side-by-side with an opponent who's got the puck is it ever advisable to put your stick in your other hand to get more reach (eg. if your left hand is your top hand but they're on your right side)?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Not a dumb question but no you shouldn't do that. Keep your legs moving and stay strong with 2 hands on your stick. From their you can lift his stick quickly to either make him lose the puck or at least have to concentrate on maintaining puck control rather than looking for his next play. Meanwhile you're still moving your legs for better position.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft, Gordie Howe could do it. :colbert:

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Any and all advice to new hockey players should be "keep your legs moving", for ever and ever and ever.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

Pfft, Gordie Howe could do it. :colbert:

That looks like he's picking the puck off the boards on his forehand, which can be easier to do - especially if the puck is even with or behind you - while accelerating if you take your top hand off because then you don't have to turn your torso as much to control it. Also frees up your other hand to ward off checkers from the outside. Takes having good control of the puck one handed like that though. Brent Burns has a penchant for doing this.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Nitramster posted:

Not a dumb question but no you shouldn't do that. Keep your legs moving and stay strong with 2 hands on your stick. From their you can lift his stick quickly to either make him lose the puck or at least have to concentrate on maintaining puck control rather than looking for his next play. Meanwhile you're still moving your legs for better position.

Followup question: How to get over the very real fear that you're going to slam into the guy if you keep your speed up? I'm pretty good at stopping and changing direction now but I still get pretty nervous being really close to someone at high speed.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

prom candy posted:

Followup question: How to get over the very real fear that you're going to slam into the guy if you keep your speed up? I'm pretty good at stopping and changing direction now but I still get pretty nervous being really close to someone at high speed.

Real talk: bumps happen, keep your centre of gravity low to keep your balance. If you're side by side the only way you hit is if you or he cuts across and neither should do that unless you're sure you've got him beat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

prom candy posted:

Experience.

I'm still pretty nervous about contact at speed as well, but I am noticing that as I play more games I'm slowly getting more willing to compete for the puck on the move.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

mr. unhsib posted:

Any and all advice to new hockey players should be "keep your legs moving", for ever and ever and ever.

Yeah, this. I've pretty much started silently chanting "Move your feet" to myself as I'm on the ice and I think it helps. Also helps you wanting to keep your shifts short.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Thufir posted:

Also helps you wanting to keep your shifts short.

This, holy poo poo this. I've really noticed that the people who take long shifts are often shuffle skaters that never really skate hard.

"Dude, 2 minutes shifts."
"I'm not even tired."
"Start skating so you are then."

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

doctor 7 posted:

This, holy poo poo this. I've really noticed that the people who take long shifts are often shuffle skaters that never really skate hard.

"Dude, 2 minutes shifts."
"I'm not even tired."
"Start skating so you are then."

ugh the weirdo dude on our team who wanted to be captain sooooo hard before we had even all been in the same room is this guy in a nutshell.
Plays wing: glides everywhere.

everywhere

I'm pretty sure he's gliding right now at whatever office job he works at.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Day 3 of Hockey Week concludes.

Two hours of pretty remedial skating fundamentals: lots of edgework and focus on deep strides with correct mechanics. I've learned that I am not half as good a skater as I seemed to think I was. I've got a good, deep stride, but my edgework is awful if I only have one skate on the ice. Ice session #1 ended with a bit of puck handling, which I at least felt decent at. I didn't feel too bad after; even with a lot of hard skating, there was enough downtime between reps to not feel too burned out. It was no worse than any of the weekly roller derby practices I run.

A few hours later my 11pm league game ended up a 7-3 win. I had an assist and some good digs of the puck, but I can feel how tired my legs are now. Gotta be back on the ice at 9am tomorrow though uggggggggggh.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 18, 2015

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Duke Chin posted:

ugh the weirdo dude on our team who wanted to be captain sooooo hard before we had even all been in the same room is this guy in a nutshell.
Plays wing: glides everywhere.

everywhere

I'm pretty sure he's gliding right now at whatever office job he works at.

rolling chair bro, it's like I'm in SPACE

doctor 7 posted:

In other news I'm doing 1hr of power skating then 1hr and 15-30minutes of adult learn to play hockey tonight. I'm dieting at a cut of 750-1000 calories a day (so 1.5-2lbs per week) so basically today I get to eat like a normal person due to how many calories skating burns. So not only do I get to play sweet hockey but I also get to drown myself in 500 calories of sweet complex carbs, an extra banana 30 minutes before I hit the ice and then a post workout Clif bar.

Thursday's are easily my favourite day of all time now.
Calculated my calories almost perfectly. At about 2 minutes before we stopped I crashed pretty hard. I dropped one piece of pasta on the ground earlier in the day when I was eating so I blame that.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Someone needs to invent a gatorade bottle that squirts buttered pasta into your mouth when for when you're gassed on the bench.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You joke, but that's what those energy chews that have become super common lately are intended to help with. They're basically big blocks of easy to process carbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

prom candy posted:

Someone needs to invent a gatorade bottle that squirts buttered pasta into your mouth when for when you're gassed on the bench.

Won't help much, it takes 2-3 hours minimum for your body to start converting it into energy. I eat whole wheat pasta so a bit longer too. Plus you want low fat so I use a tomato sauce with one tablespoon of olive oil for the pan to cook my chicken/veg in before mixing in the sauce.

I generally like to eat pasta 6 hours and then 3 hours before playing, with a higher amount of protein (chicken/Turkey/fish) 6 hours ahead then mostly just pasta with a bit of protein 3 hours before the game. Then I'll have a banana 30-45 minutes before I hit the ice.

Really makes a difference compared to eating some lovely burger 2 hours before a game.