Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
Despite their differences in setting and time period, one of my favourite films ever "The Man Who Would Be King" always remind me of the prime directive cautionary tales that TNG did so well (and often)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

chaosbreather posted:

replicators don't make poo poo for free. they are connected to a matter feed that contains statistically average goop that it selects and patterns, like lego, assembling them in a virtual four dimensional space that it splurps back down to threespace when its done. there's a bunch of carbon chains in there for organic poo poo, some metals, water, pretty all the poo poo you need. you recycle your dishes or your feces and it converts it right back to that easy midpoint. it can't e=mc2 that poo poo because you'd use up the entire antimatter stores just replicating breakfast

so replicators do a lot of poo poo that you need exotic materials for, ditto space ships. they have industrial replicators that are designed for that poo poo, and they do use them to build ship parts but you still got mine ores first because it is infinitely cheaper

I like this concept but it still doesn't explain why freighters ever haul finished goods to places with replicator facilities.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

this was one of the elements of the original pitch. the future is a utopia, but there are some people who just don't fit there and want more than just a boring existence where everything is provided for you, which some people see as madness. That's where starfleet people come from. Kirk was mentally deranged.

Just another day on the NCC-1701! :allears:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I hope the Star Trek: Uncharted guy does well :3:

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
Wrt Star Trek economy I think many people underestimate the effect that not having poverty would have on society. Right now people work because they have to in order to buy food and shelter as well as provide for their family. Business owners take advantage of this necessity to enhance their own wealth while their workers merely get by. But if there was no poverty then they couldn't be taken advantage of in this way. There would be no reason for that kind of system to exist. You could still work to gain advantage but you'd have to do so by actually being useful.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

chaosbreather posted:

replicators don't make poo poo for free. they are connected to a matter feed that contains statistically average goop that it selects and patterns, like lego, assembling them in a virtual four dimensional space that it splurps back down to threespace when its done. there's a bunch of carbon chains in there for organic poo poo, some metals, water, pretty all the poo poo you need. you recycle your dishes or your feces and it converts it right back to that easy midpoint. it can't e=mc2 that poo poo because you'd use up the entire antimatter stores just replicating breakfast

so replicators do a lot of poo poo that you need exotic materials for, ditto space ships. they have industrial replicators that are designed for that poo poo, and they do use them to build ship parts but you still got mine ores first because it is infinitely cheaper

Also WRT replicators, I understand that the computers can make something by analyzing it and breaking it down, but it doesn't do it necessarily well. You might be able to order a plate of space lasagna, but it will still taste like lasagna from Spaghetti Factory or some bullshit chain restaurant. You need to make it yourself if you want it to taste good. That's why art and culture are still actively practiced in the Federation; they're things that computers still can't quite understand. It goes back to the constant "wanna be a real boy" theme that every series has covered to a greater or lesser extent.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

Wrt Star Trek economy I think many people underestimate the effect that not having poverty would have on society. Right now people work because they have to in order to buy food and shelter as well as provide for their family. Business owners take advantage of this necessity to enhance their own wealth while their workers merely get by. But if there was no poverty then they couldn't be taken advantage of in this way. There would be no reason for that kind of system to exist. You could still work to gain advantage but you'd have to do so by actually being useful.

Right, and mostly those advantages will be getting access to stuff that helps your work. If you are a successful scientist you get access to a fancy lab. 7of9's parents got use of a small science vessel so they could observe the Borg.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

It would also have a profound effect on the prestige of mundane jobs and people's willingness to work them as well. Today nobody wants to be, say, a maintenance man. It's a low prestige position that is easily replaced, but there are bills to pay so people take the job. But a holo deck repairman could be a very well regarded individual. Even if the work we easy the fact is you don't have to be there and people would know it. The maintenance man of today has no choice, he needs to provide for himself and his family so he is going to work. But holo dock repairman could gently caress off at any time with essentially no repercussions or threats to his livelihood. People would be grateful for this and respect and thank him for his work because he's doing it even though he has no obligation or need to.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

It would also have a profound effect on the prestige of mundane jobs and people's willingness to work them as well. Today nobody wants to be, say, a maintenance man. It's a low prestige position that is easily replaced, but there are bills to pay so people take the job. But a holo deck repairman could be a very well regarded individual. Even if the work we easy the fact is you don't have to be there and people would know it. The maintenance man of today has no choice, he needs to provide for himself and his family so he is going to work. But holo dock repairman could gently caress off at any time with essentially no repercussions or threats to his livelihood. People would be grateful for this and respect and thank him for his work because he's doing it even though he has no obligation or need to.

I'd repair your holodeck

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lil Peeler posted:

Also WRT replicators, I understand that the computers can make something by analyzing it and breaking it down, but it doesn't do it necessarily well. You might be able to order a plate of space lasagna, but it will still taste like lasagna from Spaghetti Factory or some bullshit chain restaurant. You need to make it yourself if you want it to taste good. That's why art and culture are still actively practiced in the Federation; they're things that computers still can't quite understand. It goes back to the constant "wanna be a real boy" theme that every series has covered to a greater or lesser extent.

A lot of medical stuff seems to be beyond the replicators too. Many times a doctor is going to synthesize a psionic inhibitor or bio-mimetic gel or whatever and it won't be ready until tomorrow.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Is it because psionic inhibitors and bio mimetic gels have chemicals in them? Moving parts? It doesn't work that way?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

chaosbreather posted:

the universal translator not doing klingon is easy. it doesn't translate borrowed words. sometimes poo poo isn't totally translatable or another language has a better word for it anyway, like shadenfreude or champagne so you just use that. "Success!" loses the bloodlust of "Qapla'!" in weak sibilance and everyone knows it anyway so it doesn't need to translate it

Google Translate doesn't work that way.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Lil Peeler posted:

But I think you could spend an equal amount of time learning how to "cook" with a replicator, constantly analyzing and refining your "recipe" by changing the program. You wouldn't have to rely on the computer to generate it for you necessarily.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lil Peeler posted:

I'd repair your holodeck

:shibe:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Yeah the trick with replicators is that you lose a lot of nuance. They sort of paint by numbers, this section is this protein combination, this section is water with this pattern. So yeah, you can have way better recipes for items than others, but they'll use a lot more power because they gotta do way more work.

Yaos posted:

Google Translate doesn't work that way.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Didn't they replicate Worf a whole new spinal column and all they had to do to slap it in there was put on a funny hat

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

chaosbreather posted:

Yeah the trick with replicators is that you lose a lot of nuance. They sort of paint by numbers, this section is this protein combination, this section is water with this pattern. So yeah, you can have way better recipes for items than others, but they'll use a lot more power because they gotta do way more work.

Rendezvous is a word in English. Qapla' is not a word in English.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Yaos posted:

Actually.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Yaos posted:

rendezvous is very much a french word that we borrow, same as qapla. we could say 'meet up' but it doesn't have the same overtones so we borrow a better word from someone else and use it and don't translate it

english has a ton of borrowed words, especially from our enemies, the french, the germans and the japanese

ww2 gave us 'blitzkreig' and 'kamikaze', do you honestly believe that during a decades long war we would get no borrowed words at all? is it because you're retarded?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Badda-Bing Badda-Bang is the greatest episode of Star Trek, followed closely by Court Martial.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Start Trek pooping logistics update: in this episode of Voyager, a systems failure has Neelix worried about the fact that the whole ship only has four working lavatories.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Neelix is probably the type of rear end in a top hat to clog the shitter and walk away.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Start Trek pooping logistics update: in this episode of Voyager, a systems failure has Neelix worried about the fact that the whole ship only has four working lavatories.

Neelix was referring to the toilets being sufficiently 'cruisy' for his his liking, not for being capable of conveying waste.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

shadow puppet of a posted:

I think more than colonizing and terraforming you'd have a serious problem of the Ferengi Holy Sages scenario playing out a million times. Once you get sick of having everything among everyone, a great change of pace would be having some things where everyone else has nothing. Show up with a hundred year power supply, a replicator and a gun and install yourself as king and direct an entire planet to your bidding. (As with the Sages' mine too would involve lots of underboob)

The only concern with this is, the only time I've seen it happen, loving Neelix showed up. Do you really want to risk attracting a Neelix to your giant sex orgy planet?

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

the colonists who romanticize not having any tech and going out to scratch out an existence on a world that could kill them with some exotic infection at any moment are the real nutters

Amish and doomsday preppers still exist in the future.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

chaosbreather posted:

rendezvous is very much a french word that we borrow, same as qapla. we could say 'meet up' but it doesn't have the same overtones so we borrow a better word from someone else and use it and don't translate it

We could say "Intercept" but it just isn't as romantic.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Met posted:

We could say "Intercept" but it just isn't as romantic.

nah, intercept is not mutually cooperative. you intercept a missile, you rendezvous with the mothership. you can use "meet up" but that is way more casual than it needs to be sometimes

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Lil Peeler posted:

Is it because psionic inhibitors and bio mimetic gels have chemicals in them? Moving parts? It doesn't work that way?

And yet Odo could still disguise himself as a pack of cigarettes.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Pneub posted:

And yet Odo could still disguise himself as a pack of cigarettes.

Not as good as the shapeshifter who became loving mist.

Like what happens if you breathe in all the mist? Does he live in your lungs?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Yaos posted:

Your foolishness on display to the world gives me that feeling where you're happy at someone else's misfortune. You know, schadenfreude.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
The idea of alien loanwords in the english language is preposterous. Future people speak the same language that we do today without modification.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

GrumpyDoctor posted:

i'm always way too amused at the references to bolians constantly wrecking toilets/bathrooms with their power shits

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yaos posted:

lol

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kitchner posted:

Not as good as the shapeshifter who became loving mist.

Like what happens if you breathe in all the mist? Does he live in your lungs?

Did you see that episode of True Blood where the shapeshifter turned into a fly and flew into someone's mouth and then turned back into a human? That happens.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

that's bullshit. where does all the mass go? and if it just becomes a super dense fly then it shouldn't be able to fly on those tiny wings.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

True Blood is a show about magic people and the magical things they do.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Pththya-lyi posted:

Your foolishness on display to the world gives me that feeling where you're happy at someone else's misfortune. You know, schadenfreude.

The fact that you think Klingon is a real language is absolutely hilarious. You should think about that before you embarrass yourself any further.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yaos posted:

The fact that you think Klingon is a real language is absolutely hilarious. You should think about that before you embarrass yourself any further.

bro you don't even know what loan words are

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mr. Pumroy posted:

that's bullshit. where does all the mass go?

hammerspace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Yaos posted:

If I were in your position I'd ixnay the judgement of cromulent languages from which loan words come.

• Locked thread