Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I keep a running average, so it includes the entire year. But with the information I have, I could very easily just highlight cells and see what I have been averaging in any league for the past month, or month by month specifically. Fill % is a pretty big stat for competitive college bowling (something I used to do). Basically, how many frames did you "fill." Fill meaning spare or strike. So it would be strikes and spares divided by total number of frames. For the sake of fill percentage, only count your attempt in the 10th frame. You wouldn't count all three strikes in your fill if you struck out.

Oh duh, that makes sense.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

On a different note, I finally shot my first 800. 300-247-253. And it happened to be in the league finals, so I helped our team takes first!

Congrats! That's freaking awesome to get a 300 and 800 in the same series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thom P. Tiers posted:

On a different note, I finally shot my first 800. 300-247-253. And it happened to be in the league finals, so I helped our team takes first!

Nice! Congratulations!

Do they still do rings for an 800? I'm still chasing both my first 300 and 800... but the upper 600s and low 700s are starting to be more and more common. I was pretty close a few weeks back, took the front 9, then tugged the ball on the 10th and left the 4-pin waving at me.

We just finished our Fall/Spring league. We separate it into two halves; finished 1st back in the fall, and 4th in the spring, but still have the lead in overall points won. Got a little over a month before our summer league starts. We also just had a guy break the house record... Dude shot 290-280-263 for an 833 series. Was loving nuts to watch.

In the meantime I'm learning a bit more about the machines in the back as I've been working over the past year. I still don't know how to actually REPAIR the equipment when it fucks up, but I can at least clear most of the problems we run into on any given night. And hey, I still haven't lost a finger, so I got that going for me.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Scarf posted:

Nice! Congratulations!

Do they still do rings for an 800? I'm still chasing both my first 300 and 800... but the upper 600s and low 700s are starting to be more and more common. I was pretty close a few weeks back, took the front 9, then tugged the ball on the 10th and left the 4-pin waving at me.

They do still do rings for the 800. They changed the awards last season though, so now you can only get one award for each accomplishment in your lifetime. It used to be that you could get 1 award for each (300 and 800) every season, which I thought was entirely reasonable. The USBC really cheaped out this year in my opinion. But now I finally get my one 800 ring.

They also don't keep track of 11 in a row anymore, nor do they give you an award for that either. Which isn't as big of a deal to me, but they had some cool 11 in a row awards.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
It's up to your local association to give out awards like 11 in a rows now, and just based on personal experience a lot of the membership will balk at the price increase required to pull something like that off. Even if it's just going from something like $15 to $20 a year which is totally reasonable IMO.

I somewhat agree that the USBC has cheaped out by taking away yearly 300/800 awards but on the other hand with the way lane/ball conditions are these days they're giving out tens of thousands of the things a year compared to the few hundred a year during bowling's heyday. I have plenty to bitch about USBC but I kind of see where they're coming from with that one.

Like taking away all the national youth awards and putting all that on the local associations. I don't give a gently caress if some 50 year old woman doesn't get her 500 series patch but for a 10 year old kid that's a big deal and where the gently caress do you think your future bowlers are coming from?

Devo fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 17, 2015

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I do agree with them getting rid of the 11 in a row, I was just mentioning that those awards were actually cool (the crystal and the bronze bowl/plaque thing). I did enjoy being able to get one cheap ring every year. They make this big hub-bub about:

"However, it is not an appropriate role of the National Governing Body to repeatedly recognize bowlers for the same milestone. As the National Governing Body of the sport, USBC's mission is to provide resources and standards for bowling, not to serve as a supplier of awards."

And then they still give out free awards (once a year) for every time someone shoots a 300/800 on a sport shot. I know it's incredibly harder to do and it won't result in tens of thousands of rings, but come on. Don't give some terrible excuse that you aren't the ones who should be handing out the awards. Just tell us you are trying to save some drat money. Hell, I would be willing to throw $15 at one of the free rings if I had an option to receive one award a year. But now the only option to get one if I want one is to spend $100+. No thanks.

Also: You mention youth bowlers. I coach high school, and it's so frustrating seeing bowling alleys not cater to them or give them free/cheap practice times. Once all these old folks die you are going to have nothing because you have alienated all of the young decent talent who would probably come back to you for leagues in the next 4-5 years.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

The worst part about that is that high school is where you always lose all the promising talent. It's easy as hell to fill a league with 8-12 year olds but when they start to get into high school football/basketball/sport loving or whatever bowling loses its luster. And then you never get them back.

Our local association secretary was putting together some numbers and it was something like 90+% of youth bowlers that were still in leagues at age 16 would graduate to adult leagues in the association. The problem was the sheer amount of bowlers we lost between the ages of 13-15.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I was so disappointed back in 1997 when I hit high school that there was no mens bowling team. For some reason there was a womens team but not mens, it made no sense.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Congrats on the 800 series. I kind of wish that the awards were still once per year. They change the design of the awards every year, so it kind of sucks that someone who already has 300s and 800s doesn't even have the opportunity to earn the new rings. I mean, I get why they took it down to once lifetime, what with the ridiculously easy patterns these days and the bowling balls that hit like trucks, but it still sucks. Maybe if they didn't give out all of these little piddly fart awards for every conceivable achievement, they would still be able to give out rings every year, but whatever.

On another note, I just got a Storm Rocket and Storm IQ Tour Nano. Both of these balls are absolute beasts and complement each other really well. The house where I bowl has had a veritable flood of oil all year, and while I don't rip the cover off of the ball (~300 RPM, ~16 MPH), I should still be able to get a decent reaction on a house shot. However, I have been struggling all year playing straight up the 8 board with my strongest equipment. Anyway, with these two new balls I am finally able to open up the lanes a bit. Both of these balls outhook what I had previously (IQ Tour Solid and IQ Tour Pearl) by a full arrow and kick the corner pins out with great efficiency. So yeah, get these balls.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Yeah, I get the mindset of the USBC limiting the awards, but our local association has done away with pretty much ALL awards. Scratch that, they've done away with all awards unless you want to pay for them.

I really hate that USBC moved away from the magnets and now we get lovely little keychains.

We had payout for the second half of our fall/spring league. Our team came in 3rd for the 2nd half, but first in overall wins for both halves. Finished with a 195 average which I can't really be too salty about considering how poorly I always bowl in the winter. We've got a good 6 weeks until our summer doubles 2-and-2 league starts up which I always enjoy. Not just due to the format, but due to the people who bowl in that league with us. I wouldn't call it competitive but they definitely take it more seriously and are better bowlers.

Our fall/spring league used to be fairly competitive but now we've had an influx of folks who are doing it just for fun, which is completely fine. They're partiers, and it's a lot of fun. But often they have anywhere from 6-8 people on the roster for a 4-person team, and they rotate in and out constantly, sometimes from game-to-game within a single match, so team handicaps are all over the place all night. It's just loving annoying sometimes.

On a side note, I've really been enjoying the "PBA League" events they've been showing on ESPN on Sundays lately. I really like that Singles, Doubles, Trio, Team format.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Scarf posted:

But often they have anywhere from 6-8 people on the roster for a 4-person team, and they rotate in and out constantly, sometimes from game-to-game within a single match.

Holy hell that sounds annoying as hell. I would hate bowling in a league like that and quit and/or vote for a rule that didn't allow substitutions mid-series unless some sort of injury occurred. I guess I'm just competitive. If you want to bowl, you bowl your three games. Have someone else bowl the three games next week. That's how the rotation should work.

I get to go out to El Paso for nationals in a week and a half and am super excited. I shot really well at nationals last year, and they made the shot super hard this year. Both patterns are relatively flat with a decent volume of oil. I finally have a good team and doubles partner (as of last year) that cares a lot about bowling well out at nationals every year, so it's a lot of fun. Actually going to practice on the pattern tonight. Can't wait!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Holy hell that sounds annoying as hell. I would hate bowling in a league like that and quit and/or vote for a rule that didn't allow substitutions mid-series unless some sort of injury occurred. I guess I'm just competitive. If you want to bowl, you bowl your three games. Have someone else bowl the three games next week. That's how the rotation should work.

I get to go out to El Paso for nationals in a week and a half and am super excited. I shot really well at nationals last year, and they made the shot super hard this year. Both patterns are relatively flat with a decent volume of oil. I finally have a good team and doubles partner (as of last year) that cares a lot about bowling well out at nationals every year, so it's a lot of fun. Actually going to practice on the pattern tonight. Can't wait!

I completely agree, but the influx of these folks literally saved our league. The previous season we had 7 teams... It was up for debate if it was even worth it to keep doing that league, which apparently had been running for 50 years at the club. So a lot of the old-timers who had been bowling in that Monday night Men's league for so long were willing to do most anything to help save it. We even went so far as to allow non-members to bowl in it and change it to a mixed/open format.

The only other choice my team would have for a more competitive league would be Tuesday night, which is competitive as gently caress and most everyone in that league is an rear end in a top hat, or kick one of the guys on our team off and find a woman so we could bowl in the Thursday night mixed league.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm wondering if there's any disadvantage to one of these shots over the other.

I'm still in the process of converting from a straight ball to a hook and the biggest hurdle right now is just straight-up muscle memory when it comes to my aim. Bowling for so many years has made it incredibly unnatural to start my throw directionally to the right like in image A so I've had more luck with B. My hook also doesn't seem strong enough when I work with shot A, either. It doesn't seem to make a difference in the outcome when I DO hit the pocket, it's just that I hit the pocket much more often with shot B. I never see anybody start from over to the right like that, though, so I'm wondering if there's just something I'm missing and I should practice more to throw a shot like A.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Poque posted:

My hook also doesn't seem strong enough when I work with shot A, either. It doesn't seem to make a difference in the outcome when I DO hit the pocket, it's just that I hit the pocket much more often with shot B.

You have your answer right here. If your hook isn't strong enough to do A, then you need to be doing B. Your ball should be hooking hard into the pocket, not barely making it there. You do what the lanes give you, if all of a sudden the lanes are dry and your ball is hooking like crazy, then you need to start moving everything left and getting closer to what you are showing in A.

There is no right answer in what you should be doing right off the start until you know what the lanes/oil pattern is giving you on that particular night or in that particular bowling alley.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Poque posted:

I'm still in the process of converting from a straight ball to a hook and the biggest hurdle right now is just straight-up muscle memory when it comes to my aim. Bowling for so many years has made it incredibly unnatural to start my throw directionally to the right like in image A so I've had more luck with B. My hook also doesn't seem strong enough when I work with shot A, either. It doesn't seem to make a difference in the outcome when I DO hit the pocket, it's just that I hit the pocket much more often with shot B. I never see anybody start from over to the right like that, though, so I'm wondering if there's just something I'm missing and I should practice more to throw a shot like A.
I kinda have a related problem. I normally throw a ball like B. Problem is, I find my hook is too strong, so I end up chopping and getting bad splits. To correct this, I tend to throw faster. When I try to adjust my aiming point or move my feet my muscle memory fights it, and instead of throwing it at the same arrow (where it goes further outside before curving in like in A) I still throw it dead straight like B, which leads to disaster once the hook jumps in.

Kills my stamina, since max efforting a 16 lb ball with torque is kinda tough on the forearm. But it works for a few games.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pander posted:

I kinda have a related problem. I normally throw a ball like B. Problem is, I find my hook is too strong, so I end up chopping and getting bad splits. To correct this, I tend to throw faster. When I try to adjust my aiming point or move my feet my muscle memory fights it, and instead of throwing it at the same arrow (where it goes further outside before curving in like in A) I still throw it dead straight like B, which leads to disaster once the hook jumps in.

Kills my stamina, since max efforting a 16 lb ball with torque is kinda tough on the forearm. But it works for a few games.

Move your feet a board or two to the left and aim over the same general area that you have been (assuming you are right-handed). Upping your speed and staying consistent is very difficult to do, which is why you should be moving your feet left and throwing a normal, comfortable speed ball.

In general: Your feet should most likely be moving a little bit to the left all night long in a general house shot league. Upping your speed and staying put isn't the right thing to do (unless for some bizarre reason you are just as accurate when upping your speed). In the third game you might find that you need to move your mark left as well as your feet, in order to keep your ball in the oil longer (and to send it further on a trajectory) so it gets through the "heads" of the lane (first 20 or so feet) without hooking too early.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 24, 2015

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Move your feet a board or two to the left and aim over the same general area that you have been (assuming you are right-handed). Upping your speed and staying consistent is very difficult to do, which is why you should be moving your feet left and throwing a normal, comfortable speed ball.

In general: Your feet should most likely be moving a little bit to the left all night long in a general house shot league. Upping your speed and staying put isn't the right thing to do (unless for some bizarre reason you are just as accurate when upping your speed). In the third game you might find that you need to move your mark left as well as your feet, in order to keep your ball in the oil longer (and to send it further on a trajectory) so it gets through the "heads" of the lane (first 20 or so feet) without hooking too early.

I understand all this, like I said it's this thing where I can't hit that mark! I have very solid single pin spare accuracy, so I know it's entirely a mental thing, where I move a little bit to the right (I'm lefty), and aim at my normal mark (I generally aim at boards, about 10 feet down the lane). Except my arm/brain connection gets confused and I end up throwing it dead straight still. I don't know why, it's only when I try to replicate my strike approach that I screw up like that and can't aim right.

Sometimes I try to really really focus on it, like over-correct to just get my aim right, but then it doesn't hook back to the pocket for obvious reasons. The other thing I can do is slow the ball waaay down, like from my normal 16.5 mph to 14.5 mph. It curves, but god knows where it'll go. Sometimes it does the great Norm Duke style curve, but nowhere near enough to bank on.

I haven't been in leagues for about 3 years, but when I was I booked about a low-180s average. The theory is there, the execution is not.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Practice practice! Also, make sure you aren't drifting as you walk on your approach, I notice that in a lot of people when they are uncomfortable at standing in certain places (or throwing over certain areas, they tend to unconsciously move to somewhere they are comfortable throwing). A lot of times people are afraid to get the ball out as well because they don't think it's going to come back (hence why you may be throwing it dead straight instead of out just a bit). Just figured I'd give you some things to think about, maybe I helped, maybe I didn't. Keep on bowling though!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
New league started yesterday and we're on a new day. Oddly enough my hook was stronger than expected so I ended up having to move back to a center-originated throw and it worked really well. We swept our opponent 7-0 and I ended up going 143-169-181. I'm hoping to maintain a 160+ average for this season and that's a good start.

My spare game is back! I've really improved with the new ball and new throw and that's great. I'm waiting for the first game where my strike and spare game are both on to reap the benefits. I've noticed already that my lows are much higher, which is a nice change - I typically threw a game in the 120s-130s twice in every three-game series or so, and I've only thrown one in my last five series.

Goals for the season:
  • Maintain 160+ average
  • Throw first 200 game with new ball/throw
  • 550 series (600 as a stretch)
  • Win the league

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Putting in about 6 games of practice every week to develop muscle memory will go a long way towards raising your average. If you stay with it, I wouldn't be surprised to end up as a ~175-180 bowler by this time next year.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Bowled terribly in El Paso. I knew it was going to be a tough shot going in, and indeed it was. Ended with a ~1,690 9 game set, which isn't TERRIBLE, but it's not good. I should still cash in every event (besides all events), so it wasn't a total loss. Our team broke down the lanes well enough, but I struggled in every first game in order to do so.

My first game average for each set: 155
My 2nd and 3rd game averages each set: 205

Another aspect that was frustrating was the carry. It took a lot of drat work to get something to hit the pocket, and then when I did, nothing seemed to fall for me. I started the tournament with a pocket 7-10 (lol) and ended up with 24 single pins left over the 9 games. My buddy (and doubles partner) ended with 31 single pins left over 9 games.

I got back though, and we have two local "match game" tournaments that are set up the same format. 8 games of qualifying on one night, and if you qualify, you bowl 16 games over the next week (8 on a night) head to head versus the people that qualify. You get 1 point for each pin above 200 (no negative points), and 30 points for each time you beat someone head to head. I qualified the next day after I got back from El Paso and shot 1,981 over 8 games in one of them, and then the next night I shot 1,847 over 8 games in the other one. I qualified in both, hooray! So now I bowl 8 games on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday next week in hopes to at least win one of them.

Qualifying games, if anyone cares:
300-230-234-237-276-221-268-215 - 1,981
268-200-227-203-205-218-247-279 - 1,847

Obviously, the shot wasn't anything close to a sport shot or anything, but it felt great to bowl well after struggling in El Paso. I had a bit more concentration in my head from just getting done bowling on a very tough pattern. Also got my big 'ol mug put on the front page of the local sports section here for the 1,981 qualifying block so I became a celebrity for a day and now it's all downhill from here.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 8, 2015

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Augh we lost by one pin overall last night - 2432 to 2431! We won the first game by 43, the second game by 11, and lost the third game by 55. Their anchor finished with 6 straight strikes and he needed every one of them. It was disappointing but they were a really fun team to bowl against so we had a lot of fun. I couldn't get any sort of consistency between our two lanes though - one was grabbing incredibly early and the other had very little movement at all.

I did alright, I wasn't striking very well but I was picking up spares. 181-131-178 for a ~163 average, bringing my season average up to 161 for the season. I'm shooting for 160 on the season so at least I'm on pace there for now.

My spare game has improved a lot in a short period of time though! In April I spared at a 43.3% rate (5.3% splits, 48.0% non-splits, 62.7% 9P) and in May I'm rolling at 53.4% so far (11.1%, 59.4%, 69.2%). Strikes are a bit down but that seems to come and go with me.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
Originally got talked into doing a scratch, sport-shot league this summer by the bf, but was very leery of it feeling VERY uncomfortable with my 131 average. Showed up for the meeting only to find that a whopping THREE of us were interested. Soooo we're joining forces with the other Monday night just-for-fun league... called the "Have a Ball".

Interesting concept. Unsanctioned, handicap, 3-person teams, 3 games a week, and no prize fund. Why this is interesting is because you pay one of 3 prices each week, and at the end of the summer, you literally have a ball of your choice from the tier you paid.

$16/week will get your choice of a DV8 Outcast, Brunswick Strike King, soul or soulmate, or Radical Rack Attack.
$18/week will get your choice of a DV8 Hooligan (which I already have), Brunswick Rhino Pro, or a Radical Grease Monkey.
$20/week will get your choice of the DV8 Divas or Dudes, Brunswick Melee Jab, or a Radical Score.

For the price of what the balls cost, the Score seemed like a good deal, however I realized it has an asymmetric core. I was a little concerned about that. I think I'm going to get with the pro-shop manager/league leader before the meeting tonight to figure out which would be a good match for me.

If anyone has any suggestions though, feel free to holler at me. Like I said, I have a DV8 Hooligan, and my backup ball is an ancient Track Triple Threat.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Bowled the Petersen this weekend. I sucked as usual but I drank a lot this weekend so it was a good time. Have a giant blister on my thumb right now because I am absolutely not in 8 game bowling shape.

My buddy that I went up with actually shot the high game on lanes 5&6 and the second high in the tournament with a 258. I don't think it will hold through September but it was still pretty cool. If any of you is going later this summer holy poo poo is 11&12 brutal. High on the pair is only 233 for men and 195 for women so far so watch out for that one. The Brunswick Zone in River Grove is nice enough I guess but I kind of miss the lovely place in Hoffman Estates where I bowled the tournament for my first 10 times.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Bowled much better in May than in April, though I'm dealing with some lingering wrist issues now. I refuse to stop.

Average: 159.0 (+11.5)
Strike%: 24.3% (+0.2%)
Spare%: 55.4% (+12.1%)
9P%: 67.9% (+5.2%)
Mark%: 67.4% (+10.1%)
First Ball: 8.35 (+0.40)

Hoping to keep it up going into June, especially since my best performances seem to come on league days rather than practice days.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
So I have decided to take up bowling because a friend told me there is this place that is super cheap that offers up to 15 games for a fixed price(about $9) between 10am and 1pm every day except Saturday. I bought some cheap bowling shoes and plan to buy a ball sometime in the near future as I think that is the best investment I can make early on in order to improve my game.

However, I don't have any experience at all with bowling and would appreciate some nice tips for a stupid newbie. Is there a specific type of ball I should look into buying? Should I try to limit the number of games I bowl when I go in order not to gently caress up my wrist?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Ned posted:

So I have decided to take up bowling because a friend told me there is this place that is super cheap that offers up to 15 games for a fixed price(about $9) between 10am and 1pm every day except Saturday. I bought some cheap bowling shoes and plan to buy a ball sometime in the near future as I think that is the best investment I can make early on in order to improve my game.

However, I don't have any experience at all with bowling and would appreciate some nice tips for a stupid newbie. Is there a specific type of ball I should look into buying? Should I try to limit the number of games I bowl when I go in order not to gently caress up my wrist?

There's really only two skills to bowling. The first is maintaining good balance, which allows a transfer of leg momentum to arm momentum. The second is ball release, which utilizes the momentum you generate and balance to make the ball go somewhere consistently with a good angle.

The approach is a lot more important to your arm's durability than the ball you use. A good approach provides balance and allows for a smooth release, which reduces the wear and tear on your body by a considerable amount. Find an approach that feels natural and practice it. Strongly recommend a 4 or 5 step approach. It takes time to getting it to feel natural.

Provided you don't do something foolhardy like try to heavily torque a ball with finger holes that don't fit, your wrist shouldn't get hosed up. If you use a ball with good finger holes and keep a balance approach, your forearm will wear down a LOT faster than your wrist. Which is fine! You should probably be able to get through 3-6 games before your forearm starts tiring, which will generally be the limiting component for you. Give it a couple days to get back to full strength, rinse and repeat.

Other people can talk about balls or finger holes (see: really informative OP). I'd recommend non-aggressive drilling for your first ball, like avoiding finger tip grips or no-thumb styles, and a less reactive ball surface. If you want to jump into the deep end and generate good hooks early on then go for it, I'd personally recommend figuring out how to throw a ball consistently straight where you want it to go before you really worry about hook, though.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I would honestly dive all in and recommend a traditional fingertip ball right away. Release from a non finger-tip ball and one with a fingertip ball are entirely different in my opinion and if you are going to be bowling a lot you will get used to it pretty quickly.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I would honestly dive all in and recommend a traditional fingertip ball right away. Release from a non finger-tip ball and one with a fingertip ball are entirely different in my opinion and if you are going to be bowling a lot you will get used to it pretty quickly.

You can always get a ball re-drilled. If he's somewhat gunshy about wrist injury, I think a finger-tip grip, which assumes a level of comfort with release point, would be a bit excessive to start with.

It sounds like Ned isn't buying a ball yet, so I don't think he'll have much of a choice when learning initially. Getting your own shoes is good. If you're using house balls, find a ball that's not too heavy with holes that will allow you to maintain good control over your release (nothing sticking, or too big that may let your fingers slip out).

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pander posted:

You can always get a ball re-drilled. If he's somewhat gunshy about wrist injury, I think a finger-tip grip, which assumes a level of comfort with release point, would be a bit excessive to start with.

You can, but that costs money, and then re-learning how to bowl. The release process is entirely different. I don't think he is going to injure his wrist unless he is physically twisting the hell out of his wrist while trying to get it to hook (a bad thing to do) or bowling literally 16 games in 2 hours or something. Finger-tip bowling while weird at first, feels pretty natural once you start doing it and the "hook" should come natural as well, it shouldn't be hurting your wrist. These are my opinions of course.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Pander posted:

It sounds like Ned isn't buying a ball yet, so I don't think he'll have much of a choice when learning initially. Getting your own shoes is good. If you're using house balls, find a ball that's not too heavy with holes that will allow you to maintain good control over your release (nothing sticking, or too big that may let your fingers slip out).

This is kind of what I ended up doing yesterday. They had some balls we could use that had a lot more spin to them but the holes didn't fit my hand correctly so it ended up hurting after a few games and then I switched to a 12 pound house ball and my score started to rebound. I started off decently with the spinning balls but then my games turned to poo poo and after switching to a lighter ball I was able to focus more on aiming properly. My friend who I am bowling with wasn't using the thumb hole but when I tried that it felt very awkward so I am thinking of buying a ball and getting it drilled for my hand. This would cost about $100 after drilling.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
I'm with Thomas in saying I would go ahead and get a fingertip drill. If drilled properly, it won't put excess strain on his hand/wrist/forearms. As far as what ball, just find any ball manufacturer, find whatever entry level reactive ball they sell that you think looks cool and get it. No need to jump right into an expensive bowling ball and find out a few months down the road that you no longer can or want to bowl anymore. Every ball company makes sufficient entry level bowling balls, so you don't need someone with brand loyalty pushing a specific one on you. Once you develop a bit you can move on and see what a mid range ball can do for you. Anyway, we're getting way ahead of ourselves. Just get a cheap reactive and have a reputable driller measure your hand and drill the ball to fit your hand.

The Man The Legend
Dec 17, 2006
Cheer up, the worst is yet to come
For what it's worth I'd go with a fingertip too - it'll be better long run to learn it now (even though it might be harder at first). Just make sure you take time to learn the right way - talk to the pro shop you buy the ball from, they'll probably show you some basic tips.

There's also a ton of good tips and review on how to have proper balance, basic releases, etc on youtube - check out Norm Duke or Chris Barnes' videos.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Due to injury and illness I have barely bowled at all in June, but I was well enough to go last night and threw my best three-game set since switching to a fingertip grip, so I'm glad that it didn't all leave me through inactivity! 146 185 193, and the 193 was my first clean game in a long time. We ended up taking 5 of 7 points from the first-place team in the league so we're all pretty pumped, especially since we're only a week away from a vacation we're taking as a team.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
In addition to our summer league, the club is also doing some fun events each week. Lots of 9-pin no-tap tournaments, but also some 40-frame games. I won the first one the other night really fun stuff, had never played this format before.

Shot 942 scratch, ended up being 1105 with handicap and bonuses.

Picture is a little blurry but here are the different frames we played:
Big Bonus - 25 bonus points for striking.
Mini Bonus - 10 bonus points for striking.
Money Frame - $2.50 earned for striking.
Mulligan - Option to erase the frame and re-shoot.
No Tap - Shooting 9 on the first roll counts as a strike.
Road Kill (big penalty) - 5 penalty points are assessed for every pin left standing after the first roll.
Sorry Shot (little penalty) - 2 penalty points are assessed for every pin left standing after the first roll.
Tic-Tac-Toe - 3 strikes in the 40th frame earns you an additional $5.00.

I went Tic-Tac-No in the 40th :\

Overall, not a bad way to earn $70 on a Tuesday night.

A few guys were complaining about my handicap, but I beat them all by scratch score anyway :smug: Admittedly I kinda tanked a few final weeks of our last league, dropping my average to 195...

Scarf fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 29, 2015

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
As long as you weren't tanking on purpose, there isn't a problem. The whole point of handicap competition is to bowl well in relation to your average. It's funny how butt hurt some people get when somebody does what they are supposed to do and bowl well in relation to their average.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

buffto posted:

As long as you weren't tanking on purpose, there isn't a problem. The whole point of handicap competition is to bowl well in relation to your average. It's funny how butt hurt some people get when somebody does what they are supposed to do and bowl well in relation to their average.

The only qualms I have about handicap (being a good bowler) is when you get negative pins or when it is taken out of too high of an average (say 230 or 235). There are lots of ways to do a really bad handicap competition/league.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

buffto posted:

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I loving hate sandbagging as much as the next person. And the guys there who regularly bowl with me know I'm just a loving roller-coaster a lot of the time. It's starting to even out (and I always bowl better in the summer, and in doubles/singles leagues), but there are still some nights where I'll go like 230-140-200.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The only qualms I have about handicap (being a good bowler) is when you get negative pins or when it is taken out of too high of an average (say 230 or 235). There are lots of ways to do a really bad handicap competition/league.

Weird. We just do 80% of 220.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
We've been on a ROLL lately, taking 5 of 7 on back to back weeks from the first place teams and then sweeping whichever schmitties we played last week, giving us a three week total of 17-4. We probably had a good chance of taking all 7 from the group two weeks ago, but our team was flying out to Jamaica the following morning and we all got way too drunk to bowl properly in the third game...it was fortunate that we won the second game by nearly 300 pins (!) so our overall pin lead was never in danger. It was even better because that team is easily my least-favorite team in the league due to general attitude and lack of bowling etiquette, so it was nice to bring them down a peg.

I had my most consistent three game set in ages last week with a 188-163-173. Still want to push out a 550 but in the meantime my average is back over 160 so I'm good with my current pace.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
Miss Inconsistent checking in. Had one of my normal nights... 146, 128, 196. Highest game I've had in "league" (in quotes simply because it isn't sanctioned). I have a feeling, if we can find another male/female pair for our team for our normal league, I'll break 200 this coming season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
I bowled in my summer league last night and for the most part it was a pretty humdrum night for me (226-181-208-225). However, I managed to pick up the 7-10 split in the middle of all that. Hit the 10 pin square and it popped out of the pit and tagged the 7.

• Locked thread