Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Ralith posted:

I've had a bottle of amaretto sitting mostly untouched for more than a year until I finally tried making an amaretto sour. 1.5 amaretto, 1 simple, 0.75 lemon, on the rocks. The lemon goes a long way to balance out the otherwise overbearingly sweet liqueur, and while the result is still very close to being too sweet, it's nonetheless delicious, and has motivated me to seek out some other good recipes. Recommendations?

I would swap the lemon/simple amounts, maybe even use only .5 oz simple. The recipe above sounds delicious but I'm a recent convert to the wet shake then dry shake method. It really is much easier and the foam you get is ridiculous. Shake with ice for 15 seconds to dilute, strain into the other half of your shaker, dump the ice, dry shake vigorously for a minute or so, serve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Maestro posted:

I would swap the lemon/simple amounts, maybe even use only .5 oz simple. The recipe above sounds delicious but I'm a recent convert to the wet shake then dry shake method. It really is much easier and the foam you get is ridiculous. Shake with ice for 15 seconds to dilute, strain into the other half of your shaker, dump the ice, dry shake vigorously for a minute or so, serve.

He's not using an egg in there I don't think the dry shake matters

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015
What is everyone's preferred amaretto? Lately we've been using Lazzaroni. I think it has much better flavor than Disarrono or Frangelico, but it's a little too sweet.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I currently have Di Angela, which is much too sweet. In my defense, I bought this bottle back before I decided I was going to do mixed drinks properly. I too would be interested to know what to replace it with.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

goferchan posted:

He's not using an egg in there I don't think the dry shake matters

I was expanding on your post and talking about the morgenthaler recipe

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Flaming Dr Pepper

In all seriousness, just make a Godfather. Or a French Connection for additional snobbery

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Why would you put simple in an AmSour? Just use 1.5 oz amaretto, .75 oz lemon juice, and .5 oz bonded apple brandy. And maybe a dash of orange juice if you've just got it laying around. That's how I make mine.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Kenning posted:

Why would you put simple in an AmSour? Just use 1.5 oz amaretto, .75 oz lemon juice, and .5 oz bonded apple brandy. And maybe a dash of orange juice if you've just got it laying around. That's how I make mine.
Because that's what the first credible recipe I found called for, and it tasted good. And I'm out of calvados.

Which amaretto do you favor?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

To what extent are calvados, cider brandy, and applejack interchangeable? Good applejack in particular is mad expensive in the UK, whereas I'm right in the middle of cider brandy country.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

trauma llama posted:

What is everyone's preferred amaretto? Lately we've been using Lazzaroni. I think it has much better flavor than Disarrono or Frangelico, but it's a little too sweet.

I love Lazzaroni for the price. It is pretty syrupy but a little shot of it on the rocks is such a nice dessert

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The Maestro posted:

I was expanding on your post and talking about the morgenthaler recipe

Ohhhh sorry, didn't see that. Yeah I also like switching up the wet and dry shake order! Love that froth

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Kenning posted:

Apple brandy in an amaretto sour? I have to try this.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Wachter posted:

To what extent are calvados, cider brandy, and applejack interchangeable? Good applejack in particular is mad expensive in the UK, whereas I'm right in the middle of cider brandy country.

I really only use applejack in Jack Roses, and in my experience for those, they're all pretty much interchangeable.

Failed Nihilist
Apr 10, 2015
So the other night, all my dad's family was together and I played bartender for the evening. In the midst of it all, I think I may have invented a new drink:

1. Muddle an orange at the bottom of an Old Fashioned glass
2. Add 1.5oz blood orange liquer
3. Fill the glass with blood orange San Pellegrino
4. 1-2 dashes orange bitters

I call it a "Blood Meridian." They tasted pretty good, despite the fact that I have no loving idea what I'm doing when I'm not following a recipe. I have a mind to gently caress around with varying portions of light rum or vodka to make it a little boozier (the liquer is only 30 proof).

Thoughts?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Brandy or light rum would be good, IMO.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I probably should have asked this yesterday, I meant to, but I forgot. I'm going to a wedding with an open bar, am I supposed to tip like normal?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I probably should have asked this yesterday, I meant to, but I forgot. I'm going to a wedding with an open bar, am I supposed to tip like normal?

Yes

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. I'm going to need to go break a 20.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I would say definitely be prepared to but sometimes the staff gets a pretty good flat rate and you won't see a tip jar out and they might not even accept tips if you try to hand one to them.

edit: like I've been offered $200+ to bartend a wedding for a few hours and I wouldn't have been to miffed if tips weren't part of the deal in that situation, but catering stuff is weird and expectations can vary a lot

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I tipped them. I did forget at first, but I was kind of taken aback by how poorly the bar was stocked. My father in law noticed it, and he hasn't touched hard liquor in decades.

I mean, I appreciate free booze, but my cousin got ripped the gently caress off. They probably paid multiple thousands for a bar where the most expensive liquor by far was dewars and they couldn't make anything more complicated than a martini. Which they stirred in the glass, on the rocks.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Most open bars are awful. That's why when I get married in gonna have a massive bowl of punch.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, that's my current plan, too. Although since it's outside, maybe a giant dispenser instead. Don't want a literal fly in the punch bowl.

Thiis was my first open bar. Given they were serving filet mignon and salmon at the dinner, I figured their liquor game would be better.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Generally I've seen that unless you are at a place like the four seasons you need to actively hire a bartender separate of catering otherwise it'll be some person who has the equivalent bar experience as just serving from a cafeteria. Open bars are dangerous for me since they're made so inconstantly, I can't tell how much I've been drinking. If you won't hire a bartender at least buy a few good kegs.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, that's my current plan, too. Although since it's outside, maybe a giant dispenser instead. Don't want a literal fly in the punch bowl.

Thiis was my first open bar. Given they were serving filet mignon and salmon at the dinner, I figured their liquor game would be better.

We had wedding punch and WI beer (Lake Louie) last year and it owned-- I have to thank Kenning for original punch inspiration. My only tip is to dilute a bit more than usual if you're dispensing out of a container with a bottom spigot (or make sure the punch gets stirred often) since the punch you'd normally ladle from the top of a punch bowl is ice-adjacent and therefore more dilute. The worst case scenario is that it comes out boozy and people still have a great time, though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The events of the night are blurry at this point, but I remember at my cousin's wedding there was a bartender who did not know what I was talking about when I asked for the Merlot. I think there might have been two reds and two whites available.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Mr. Wookums posted:

Generally I've seen that unless you are at a place like the four seasons you need to actively hire a bartender separate of catering otherwise it'll be some person who has the equivalent bar experience as just serving from a cafeteria. Open bars are dangerous for me since they're made so inconstantly, I can't tell how much I've been drinking. If you won't hire a bartender at least buy a few good kegs.

I would, but it's going to be a pretty small wedding. Maybe a small keg or two of the standby microbrews, and some mixed 12-packs from local breweries. I'll probably get advice from my aunts for wine, because I tend to drink moscato and sweet reds. Maybe some cider for the gluten free people, whether by celiac or quack.

Thanks for the dilution advice, I hadn't thought of that. Is alcohol dense relative to soda water? I guess it would be.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Man muddling sugar cubes for mojitoes at the cottage is a pain in the rear end. (Shoulda seen if I coulda gotten real sugar. Oh well)

Failed Nihilist
Apr 10, 2015
Speaking of sugar and muddling, I've been conflicted over what sugar to use in capirinhas. The official IBA recipe specifies white, but I always figured that something less refined like "Sugar in the Raw" would be better. Then again, I'm a know-nothing fuckhead.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Raw sugar would be thematic, but I would think it would have a harder time dissolving in a cold drink. However, I too am a know-nothing fuckhead.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Always use syrup.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Failed Nihilist posted:

Speaking of sugar and muddling, I've been conflicted over what sugar to use in capirinhas. The official IBA recipe specifies white, but I always figured that something less refined like "Sugar in the Raw" would be better. Then again, I'm a know-nothing fuckhead.

Use demerara / turbinado sugar. If you're having trouble getting the sugar to dissolve, simply make a simple syrup out of it. The simple syrup usually lasts for like 3-4 weeks.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The Hebug posted:

Always use syrup.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

(there's no reason to ever use un-syruped sugar in cocktails)

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Champagne Cocktail exception to that rule.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Kenning posted:

(there's no reason to ever use un-syruped sugar in cocktails)

For Muddling?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Klauser posted:

Champagne Cocktail exception to that rule.

#fact

tynam
May 14, 2007

Failed Nihilist posted:

Well, the theory is that the sugar grains abrasion aids in bringing out the oils in whatever you're muddling (mint/orange peels etc), so larger, coarser sugar grains might actually work better but dissolve slower.

I still have no idea if the sugar muddling actually offers any tangible benefit, or if it's purely for visual and tradition. Something interesting to blind test sometime... but it's strangely cathartic to grind away an orange peel with sugar like I'm some kind of medieval alchemist working a mortar and pestle.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

tynam posted:

Well, the theory is that the sugar grains abrasion aids in bringing out the oils in whatever you're muddling (mint/orange peels etc), so larger, coarser sugar grains might actually work better but dissolve slower.
More importantly, sugar (or salt) will draw the juices out of whatever you're muddling by osmosis. How effective this is depends on what you're muddling, but nearly anything that has some form of water inside it should show substantial effects. For a compelling demonstration, try placing an apple slice on a bed of sugar.

I think smaller grains will actually have the strongest osmotic effect.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Since I like making mojitos and caipirinhas a whole bunch, I've just made a squeeze bottle's worth of lime oleo saccharum. I added in a bit of lime juice as well, just because I figure there's going to be some in the muddled mixture, and a little vodka just to try and keep some nasties out if I end up not finishing it in a somewhat reasonable time (I will) . Works a fuckin' treat. Only need relatively little to get the lime flavor. I'll spank a bunch of mint, throw in the lime syrup, possibly add some rich syrup if I want it a bit sweeter, since I don't use much of the lime syrup, and do the rest as normal.

I've also been using it to make a semi-sweetened G&T for my girlfriend since she loves hers with a ton of lime. She can deal with the little sugar added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I've been enjoying old fashioneds with a cube of sugar soaked in ango and a splash of water, no fruit. And if I make a caipirinha I muddle lime wedges with raw demerara to get all the flavor I can, then add demerara syrup to taste. Also I've found a lot of people enjoy the graininess. People like to eat sugar, big surprise.