Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Who are we?
We're another advertising company doing something ever so slightly different.

Where are we?
Madison Avenue in NYC, doesn't get more cliche than that.

What are we looking for?
Aggressively hiring Java back-end devs for RTB & data teams as well as front-end folks to work on our massive Angular client-facing project. I mean aggressively hiring when I say it.

Why work for us?
Money is good, new office is pretty nice, we're in an excellent area, and the dev team is the best team at the company. Everyone is very friendly and smart. I've learned tons in just over a year. Very little bureaucratic bullshit too.

Sounds awesome, I want to apply!
PM me. I'll gladly exchange a copy of your resume for as much information as you'd like to know. I'm more than willing to give my personal contact information to anyone interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Who are we?
We're another advertising company doing something ever so slightly different.

Where are we?
Madison Avenue in NYC, doesn't get more cliche than that.

What are we looking for?
Aggressively hiring Java back-end devs for RTB & data teams as well as front-end folks to work on our massive Angular client-facing project. I mean aggressively hiring when I say it.

Why work for us?
Money is good, new office is pretty nice, we're in an excellent area, and the dev team is the best team at the company. Everyone is very friendly and smart. I've learned tons in just over a year. Very little bureaucratic bullshit too.

Sounds awesome, I want to apply!
PM me. I'll gladly exchange a copy of your resume for as much information as you'd like to know. I'm more than willing to give my personal contact information to anyone interested.

Any need for a Windows/VMware sysadmin?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Reposting this since I've had another opening come up recently.

JOB POSTING
I've got an opening on one of my teams and am having a hell of a time finding qualified folks, as it is rather niche, so I thought I'd throw it out here and see if someone wants to become the Highlander gainfully employed.

Who are we?
A very large financial institution.

Where are we?
Most everywhere, but the positions are based in Charlotte, NC. Relo might be discussed for good candidates.

What are we looking for?
This team handles implementation of our client-side data collection software for our website (hooray eCommerce) which powers a wide array of analytics teams and tools. Think Google Analytics, but a lot more involved. This includes business analyst work up front, working with business leaders and other partners, project teams, and a menagerie of other folks to define requirements and determine what we're actually going to collect on a given page or set of pages based on a standard model we've developed. Once requirements are understood, we generate a specification (hooray documentation) and hand that off to coders who supposedly make it actually work. We test their code to ensure that it does work, and because it never does, we work with those dev teams to debug, fix, and retest until everything is working correctly. Update: Coming soon, we'll be migrating to a new platform that enables us to write and control the code without making physical edits to pages, so there is less specification writing and more interfacing with dev teams to ensure values are exposed correctly. This is a good thing if you ask me.

As the name would imply, client-side data collection involves JavaScript, so you're going to need a decent grasp on that language and a deep, thorough understanding of Internet architecture and browser interaction (DOM, cookies, HTTP request construction, etc). We also do some fun stuff with mobile apps so any skills in that area, or with other server-side languages, is a great thing to have. Of course, being adept at HTML and CSS is a given. Though these skills are all very much required, this is not a coding position. We write code sparingly, usually as an example of how something might be accomplished. Update: As noted above, new platform means more coding. It's still not a full time dev/coding position, but you'll be dealing with JavaScript and other front-end topics much more.

In addition to those technical skills, a strong business acumen is required for the analyst portion outlined above. If you can't speak to a room of senior managers and the occasional executive without pissing yourself, this may not be for you. My team sits between the unwashed business masses and the IT teams that make things work, so a good mix of both is needed. Like I said, it's niche.

How do I apply?
Hit me up with a PM and we'll go over what you've got. I'm the hiring manager so I can give you fairly accurate feedback. Or you can use my username at Google's mail service.

What else?
The spot I have is contract to hire. While this may not be terribly awesome to start with, it's SOP for the organization we're a part of. If you don't suck, roll over to full time can happen in a matter of months. Once you're full time, the big boat o' benefits can become yours if the price is right.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Job Posting
I need a junior network engineer, and apparently there's almost no network engineers for hire in Indiana that I can find, but who knows maybe there's a goon who's looking to change things up and come help me get a trainwreck back on the rails.

Who are we?
A small local ISP/ITSP.

Where are we?
Downtown Indianapolis, IN

What are we looking for?
Full time Junior Network Engineer, with Cisco experience. Asterisk and SIP experience (troubleshooting using wireshark etc) would be a major plus. You'll primarily get day to day provisioning work, and rotating on-call responsibility (I've been here for 4 months and maybe gotten one or two calls). And we have somewhat of a trainwreck of a network to rebuild into something that doesn't have VLANs spaghettied all over the place between sites.

Why work for us?
Casual and fairly low stress environment. Flexible on telecommute for a local candidate if they want to spend a day or two working from home. And if you like ping pong there's a couple of tables over in the storage room.

How do I apply?
PM me, or email me at matt@evilgeni.us.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Spazz fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 5, 2018

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
I'm a bit fed up with my current 70 hour a week, ridiculously understaffed situation and am going to give my notice tomorrow, so here I am.

My experience: 15 years of IT experience in support and sysadmin roles, including stints at Intel, an MSP-style shop, and most recently as The Guy Who Has The IT Manager Title But Spends His Whole Day On Hands-On Work And Is Basically The Team Lead at a software development company. I've been up to my elbows in nearly anything Microsoft, including Active Directory, Exchange, Hyper-V, clustering, Sharepoint, CRM, SQL, IIS, System Center, and more. I'm well versed in VMware and could probably have the VCP within a matter of weeks, and have set up multiple clusters of both VMware and Hyper-V along with EMC VNX/VNXe block storage. On the networking side, I'd consider my knowledge intermediate in a well-rounded way. VLANs, firewalls, IDS/IPS, VPNs of various types, web filtering, to name a few. I am intimately familiar with PCI DSS compliance and how it translates to building a real world compliant environment.

What I'm looking for: I'm ideally looking either for a sysadmin position that is a bit more focused (virtualization, storage, security, and/or complaince) or to move into more of a systems engineer position. I've been the most senior person at my last couple jobs and really miss having peers who I can bounce complicated ideas off of without getting blank stares back. Being on a team and surrounded by ridiculously smart people again would be amazing.

What I'm NOT looking for: Helpdesk, "wears many hats" situations, not really looking for an MSP job unless it's more of an Engineer/Architect role.

Where I live: Portland, OR

Where I'm looking: Portland area. May be open to other areas if the offer and situation are right. I don't have much tying me down.

When I can start: 3-4 weeks, maybe a bit sooner. If relocating, maybe a bit longer.

Requirements: Health, dental, vision, good time off, good work/life balance. Salary requirements are in the ballpark of low six figures. Negotiable depending on situation, benefits, and job requirements, obviously.

Can be reached via: cavepimp@gmail.com - I'll reply from my actual email address.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Technical Account Manager - Enterprise Support

Who are we?

Amazon Web Services, an $8 billion subsidiary of Amazon.com. Enterprise Support is the top tier of customers within AWS and is the fifth largest business unit by revenue within AWS.

Where are we?

We have a global presence with a follow the sun support model. We have offices in the US East and West coasts, Ireland, Frankfurt, South Africa, Japan, China, Brazil, etc. and many TAMS telecommute 100% of the time.

What are we looking for?

We are looking for a personable individual with a body of tech knowledge five miles wide and four inches deep who also has the ability to [quickly learn enough about a subject to] go deep on any given subject on a moment's notice. Do you like to learn new things just because you are curious about it? This gig is for you. The TAM role requires technical acumen and an ability to talk shop with engineers amnd then shift gears to discuss business- and implementation strategies with executives.

If you have ever built a company from scratch with corp/dev/prod environments running on virtualized environments we want to talk to you. If you are working for a company that is currently an AWS Customer, we want to talk to you. If you can speak code, storage, high-availability, disaster recover, databases and networking, sometimes all in the same sentence, we DEFINITELY want to talk to you.

Why work for us?

We have some of the smartest people in technology working here, and everyone has checked their egos at the door. TAMs seem to genuinely enjoy their work in a professional and grown-up environment where you are given all of the room you need to help your customers succeed, and where your feedback is heard and acted upon - even on the first day on the job. No time cards, no micromanagement, no bullshit.

How do I apply?

Shoot me your CV via PM or my forum name at gmail and I'll be happy to answer any of your questions. I have a friend in HR who reviews resumes I send her personally, so no waiting in a pile.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 30, 2015

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Agrikk posted:

We are looking for a personable individual with a body of tech knowledge five miles wide and four inches deep who also has the ability to go deep on any given subject on a moment's notice.

wat

Do you want a jack-of-all-trades that never goes deep, or a savant?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kloa posted:

They need a sales guy who doesn't suck rear end at talking about technical matters and who knows or can be taught about the AWS technologies appropriate to common problems. When talking to clients, your trump card is "Let me take that up with our senior engineers and get back to you".

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Job Posting
Our wealth management software company is need of a Technical QA Analyst to create and run regression tests and perform manual testing in a continuous integration environment (agile). We're looking for someone to who knows their way around Selenium beyond just hitting record to make a script and hitting play to play it back. We're also interested in hearing from you if you're familiar with HP QuickTest Professional (HTP) or other industry-standard testing tools, as, even though we don't use that here, it's an indication that you'd be quick to ramp into Selenium.

Who are we?
a ~15 year-old wealth management software company with solid, stable growth

Where are we?
Greater Philadelphia area (just outside city limits)

What are we looking for?
Full time Technical QA Analyst with Selenium experience creating, running, and interpreting build acceptance/regression tests (we're looking for someone who knows how to write scripts- we don't want someone who just knows how to hit record to make a script and hit play to play it back). The ability to look at web code/back-end stuff with some semblance of confidence in knowing what you're looking at would make you a prime candidate. Basically, you'll be creating/running Selenium scripts to regression test changes to our web application and doing some manual testing. We're at the point where we need someone to take the reins and help us take our testing to the next level. SQL experience is a bonus if you have it, as we're heavily SQL-invested. Experience working in an Agile development environment is a plus, too.

Why work for us?
Casual (no, not "business casual"- please burn all khakis and polo shirts), t-shirt+shorts+flip-flop-friendly environment. Solid benefits package (benefits start on day one), good vacation, 401k matching, great leadership. Our CEO/President/founder is a smart dude who is very open about company progress. Every two weeks we have a day where everyone picks out whatever they want from some select restaurants and we have a big lunch meeting/status update from one of our execs.

How do I apply?
email me at [my username] at hotmail.com and we'll talk - if you're even vaguely interested, shoot me an email and we can chat and see if you'd be a potential fit. We've been trying to find someone with some Selenium chops for some time now. Not having a degree is definitely not a dealbreaker here if you can do the job!

Jared592 fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 2, 2015

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

kloa posted:

wat

Speaking as a Senior TAM, We are looking for an individual who has broad range of skills in the DevOps world or Infrastructure world and who isn't afraid to say, "I don't know that now, but give me a day or two and I'll get back to you." and then goes and learns.

I may only have a vague sense of what all 50-ish services do, but if a customer expresses interest in something, it is my job to go and learn a ton about it so I am capable of teaching a 100-level or a 200-level seminar on the subject. If a technical issue comes up, it is my job to understand what the issue is so I can then represent the issue to the service teams and help them troubleshoot it.

baquerd posted:

They need a sales guy who doesn't suck rear end at talking about technical matters and who knows or can be taught about the AWS technologies appropriate to common problems. When talking to clients, your trump card is "Let me take that up with our senior engineers and get back to you".

This is absolutely not a sales role, and if all I do is "take that up with our senior engineer" I'm failing at TAM. :)

The TAM exists as a liaison between the customer and AWS, representing AWS to the customer and representing the customer to AWS. As such, the TAM needs to be able to understand what the customer is trying to accomplish and be able to understand how to best use the various AWS services to help them succeed. When the customer has a problem, the TAM kicks in doors on their behalf. If AWS launches something or is looking for feedback from customers, the TAM takes that message to their customers.

I have a portfolio of customers, and it is my job to provide customized support for them, understanding their environments as if I were one of their architects.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Speaking as a Senior TAM, We are looking for an individual who has broad range of skills in the DevOps world or Infrastructure world and who isn't afraid to say, "I don't know that now, but give me a day or two and I'll get back to you." and then goes and learns.

I may only have a vague sense of what all 50-ish services do, but if a customer expresses interest in something, it is my job to go and learn a ton about it so I am capable of teaching a 100-level or a 200-level seminar on the subject. If a technical issue comes up, it is my job to understand what the issue is so I can then represent the issue to the service teams and help them troubleshoot it.

Is this local or remote?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Gothmog1065 posted:

Is this local or remote?

Agrikk posted:

Where are we?

We have a global presence with a follow the sun support model. We have offices in the US East and West coasts, Ireland, Frankfurt, South Africa, Japan, China, Brazil, etc. and many TAMS telecommute 100% of the time.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Don't ask me how I completely overlooked that part. I still missed it when I went back and reread it after you quoted. Yet somehow in the next job post that is the first thing I"m drawn to. I dunno.

Either way, PMing you Agrikk.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Agrikk posted:

This is absolutely not a sales role, and if all I do is "take that up with our senior engineer" I'm failing at TAM. :)

The TAM exists as a liaison between the customer and AWS, representing AWS to the customer and representing the customer to AWS. As such, the TAM needs to be able to understand what the customer is trying to accomplish and be able to understand how to best use the various AWS services to help them succeed. When the customer has a problem, the TAM kicks in doors on their behalf. If AWS launches something or is looking for feedback from customers, the TAM takes that message to their customers.

I have a portfolio of customers, and it is my job to provide customized support for them, understanding their environments as if I were one of their architects.

OK, sure, "not a sales role" but involves telling customers what technologies to use that just happen to cost the customer money. I work with an AWS TAM for my organization, and I regularly find them useless because we thoroughly understand the 100 and 200 level stuff, but need a graduate level technical dive into optimizing six nine's of uptime architecture. The TAM being entirely tapped out for knowledge or otherwise telling us they have no solution to our problems is a regular experience for me. We throw literal millions at AWS every year, so my experience may be significantly different than the usual TAM client, if the usual client is one who is just starting to use AWS.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

A TAM's will have the 100-200 level Knowledge but should also know where to go next for technical resources when he's expended.

Sounds like you need a new TAM :downs:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tab8715 posted:

A TAM's will have the 100-200 level Knowledge but should also know where to go next for technical resources when he's expended.

Sounds like you need a new TAM :downs:

In all fairness, what we need is above and beyond the call of any free support that AWS would (or should) offer through a TAM or otherwise. We're bumping up against current limitations of many AWS products and getting responses back that the features we want aren't yet implemented.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sound interesting. I shot you an email.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

baquerd posted:

OK, sure, "not a sales role" but involves telling customers what technologies to use that just happen to cost the customer money. I work with an AWS TAM for my organization, and I regularly find them useless because we thoroughly understand the 100 and 200 level stuff, but need a graduate level technical dive into optimizing six nine's of uptime architecture. The TAM being entirely tapped out for knowledge or otherwise telling us they have no solution to our problems is a regular experience for me. We throw literal millions at AWS every year, so my experience may be significantly different than the usual TAM client, if the usual client is one who is just starting to use AWS.

I will reiterate: the TAM role is absolutely not a sales role. If anything, call it Tier 4 support for Enterprise Customers. I work with a portfolio of customers (currently 4) with whom I build a lasting, ongoing relationship. I partner with them to help them accomplish their strategic IT initiatives while using what I know about their organization to recommend the best techniques and services I can to help them do their job. Since I do not carry a quota, I am free to make unbiased recommendations about our products, including "maybe we aren't a good fit for you" and let the Account Manager figure out how to make his revenue targets.

Yes, our services cost money. By becoming an AWS customer, you are agreeing to spend some money on our services. But this is not a sales role, because I do not have a revenue target to meet or any other kind of quota, which gives me the freedom to give the unvarnished truth about what is or isn't needed by your deployment. I don't tell the customer to do anything. I make recommendations that include the pros and cons of every decision they might make and let them decide, because it's their company and they know best.

Our front-line tech support roles are the Cloud Support Engineers and they are the ones primarily responsible for case handling and taking tickets. Instead, I work with the customer directly to influence their long term strategies and make sure their support experience remains top notch. If anything, I am more of a switch yard, brokering relationships between customers and our internal service teams, giving our enterprise customers in-depth and behind the scenes views of our abilities.

But I sent you a PM. I'd like to know more about your company and your TAM.

Everyone else: I've received your PMs and emails and will be responding after the weekend.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but here goes.

We're going to try to hire a new Ruby on Rails developer in the next month or so, and I'm not sure what resources to suggest to my boss to use in advertising the job. We're a unit in a public university, so nobody gets rich here, but the benefits are pretty good, and the working conditions are nice. We think we're probably able to pay for a few ads, and I'll put links to it in any free site I can find. We need someone with web development experience, preferably with RoR, and concomitant database knowledge.

For the free stuff, I'll put a link in the SA tech jobs thread and another one in the local Rails meetup group. I'll contact a couple of local schools' career centers, and I'm pushing to have the job advertised in our organizations's newsletter and social media sites. I've always had the impression that Craigslist isn't appropriate for serious career-type job placement, but I can be convinced otherwise.

For the paid sites, I assume Monster.com is the standard you have to use, but I'm not sure where to go from there. I keep reading that Indeed and Dice are big players, but I've never heard of anyone I know using them. LinkedIn is pretty popular I guess, and StackOverflow has job ads that will (potentially) hit tons of developers, but I'm not sure if they're really major players in job placement. I mean, I know people have LinkedIn profiles to be recruited, but I'm not sure how many people use it to search job listings (I don't have an account there, so I'm not sure how it works).

There are some locally-oriented job sites, but their web sites didn't look too impressive, so I didn't really consider them seriously.

So, what I'm wondering is if I've really missed the boat in either category, and which pay sites really work. We've had spotty luck attracting candidates in the past (probably because the pay scale doesn't thrill anybody), so we'd like to make a real effort to broaden our reach this time.

Oh, and lastly, we might need to show that we've made an effort at minority recruitment, but the diversity job sites I found looked pretty sparse and out-of-date. I suggested that we might try to contact professional organizations instead (like the Society of Women Engineers), but I'd be happy to have any other leads.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Peristalsis posted:

For the paid sites, I assume Monster.com is the standard you have to use, but I'm not sure where to go from there. I keep reading that Indeed and Dice are big players, but I've never heard of anyone I know using them. LinkedIn is pretty popular I guess, and StackOverflow has job ads that will (potentially) hit tons of developers, but I'm not sure if they're really major players in job placement. I mean, I know people have LinkedIn profiles to be recruited, but I'm not sure how many people use it to search job listings (I don't have an account there, so I'm not sure how it works).

Flip this around. Monster and Careerbuilder are a joke and I don't know anyone who has used them seriously in years. They're so full of garbage and spam they're worthless to a job seeker. LinkedIn, StackOverflow, Indeed, and to a lesser extent Dice* are great places to find qualified tech candidates. If I was looking for a Rails programmer I would have the job posting on Stack first thing. Then LinkedIn and then maybe Dice. Indeed is more of a job search engine, but I would post the job there as well if you have the money.

Seriously though, who doesn't have LinkedIn in the YOOL 2015? Basically all your assumptions are about 10 years out of date. LinkedIn is basically how a good chunk of the tech sector finds employment at this point. It's Facebook, but for Jobs.

You should be able to find qualified candidates if you post the job to the right place. There are people who care more about work life balance and benefits than overall cash. Make sure your job posting is reasonable and covers everything.

*I personally feel the quality of Dice job listings has gone downhill over the last few years, it's mostly tech contractors trolling for short term w-2 contract work and therefore do not use it as a resource to look for jobs any longer.

edit2: While I'm not a programmer, I've heard Ruby is pretty easy to pick up if they have a background in other OOL's. If you can find a young person who might not have the exact skillset you need but can get up to speed pretty quickly, you can probably hang onto them for a couple of years before they move along.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 7, 2015

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I may be biased, but you're trying to find a developer in an already tight market when your pay is below average. It sounds like a frustrating venture at best. Rather than pour a ton of money and man-hours into paying for ads and fumbling through resumes it might be best to engage a local contingency recruiting firm that already knows the lay of the land (and much of the talent) in your town.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Peristalsis posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but here goes.

We're going to try to hire a new Ruby on Rails developer in the next month or so, and I'm not sure what resources to suggest to my boss to use in advertising the job. We're a unit in a public university, so nobody gets rich here, but the benefits are pretty good, and the working conditions are nice. We think we're probably able to pay for a few ads, and I'll put links to it in any free site I can find. We need someone with web development experience, preferably with RoR, and concomitant database knowledge.

For the free stuff, I'll put a link in the SA tech jobs thread and another one in the local Rails meetup group. I'll contact a couple of local schools' career centers, and I'm pushing to have the job advertised in our organizations's newsletter and social media sites. I've always had the impression that Craigslist isn't appropriate for serious career-type job placement, but I can be convinced otherwise.

There are some locally-oriented job sites, but their web sites didn't look too impressive, so I didn't really consider them seriously.

So, what I'm wondering is if I've really missed the boat in either category, and which pay sites really work. We've had spotty luck attracting candidates in the past (probably because the pay scale doesn't thrill anybody), so we'd like to make a real effort to broaden our reach this time.

Oh, and lastly, we might need to show that we've made an effort at minority recruitment, but the diversity job sites I found looked pretty sparse and out-of-date. I suggested that we might try to contact professional organizations instead (like the Society of Women Engineers), but I'd be happy to have any other leads.

Where, roughly if you have to, are you located?

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

skipdogg posted:

Flip this around. Monster and Careerbuilder are a joke and I don't know anyone who has used them seriously in years. They're so full of garbage and spam they're worthless to a job seeker. LinkedIn, StackOverflow, Indeed, and to a lesser extent Dice* are great places to find qualified tech candidates. If I was looking for a Rails programmer I would have the job posting on Stack first thing. Then LinkedIn and then maybe Dice. Indeed is more of a job search engine, but I would post the job there as well if you have the money.

Thanks for the input - I'll pass it along. Does anybody else disagree?

skipdogg posted:

Seriously though, who doesn't have LinkedIn in the YOOL 2015?

I don't. I prefer to send my resumes on Cuneiform tablets by mule. Seriously, I just don't like putting a bunch of information about myself on the internet, and I get enough garbage emails as it is, without joining any more sites.

skipdogg posted:

Basically all your assumptions are about 10 years out of date.

Good to know - that's why I wanted some outside perspective.

skipdogg posted:

LinkedIn is basically how a good chunk of the tech sector finds employment at this point. It's Facebook, but for Jobs.

I understand your point, but comparing it to Facebook isn't exactly making me want to join. The next time I look for work, I may have to reconsider.

skipdogg posted:

You should be able to find qualified candidates if you post the job to the right place. There are people who care more about work life balance and benefits than overall cash.

Also, it's nice to know I'm contributing in some small way to the advancement of science and solving social problems, rather than to enhancing the wealth of stockholders I'd probably hate if I met them.

skipdogg posted:

Make sure your job posting is reasonable and covers everything.

*I personally feel the quality of Dice job listings has gone downhill over the last few years, it's mostly tech contractors trolling for short term w-2 contract work and therefore do not use it as a resource to look for jobs any longer.

edit2: While I'm not a programmer, I've heard Ruby is pretty easy to pick up if they have a background in other OOL's. If you can find a young person who might not have the exact skillset you need but can get up to speed pretty quickly, you can probably hang onto them for a couple of years before they move along.

I fear we still won't find a ton of great candidates, just because RoR still seems to be a fairly fashionable platform, and people probably expect to make big bucks to know it/use it. So, as usual, we'll have to train somebody in Rails, and hope they stick around long enough to recoup our investment. What we really do want is web app development experience, especially if it was in another scripting language (like Python with Django, I guess). We just can't take the time to take someone who only knows Java and Visual Basic 6, and teach them MySQL, normal forms and database design, principles of web development, basic HTML/css/javascript, Linux, Virtual Machines, and SVN/Git before they can really start producing for us.

Dark Helmut posted:

I may be biased, but you're trying to find a developer in an already tight market when your pay is below average. It sounds like a frustrating venture at best. Rather than pour a ton of money and man-hours into paying for ads and fumbling through resumes it might be best to engage a local contingency recruiting firm that already knows the lay of the land (and much of the talent) in your town.

Yep, it's not a promising situation, to be honest. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll pass it along, but I doubt the university will go for the external recruiter angle. To be fair, I don't really know that the job pays substantially less than other Rails jobs for new-ish Rails developers, but I assume that anyone who knows Rails well enough to jump in to our projects quickly probably isn't coming straight out of school and desperate for any work they can get. If we can get some interest from decent candidates, even having them all turn us down might at least make the admins re-think their salary expectations for the position (and maybe for mine). I'm not sure how much leeway exists, though - when the state or the university system determine that "Computer Programmer II" (or whatever title this gets) is worth a max of $X/year in salary, individual units in the school may not have any way to increase that for skills that are in high demand.

The March Hare posted:

Where, roughly if you have to, are you located?

Madison, WI. I'll post the job ad here once it's finalized and published. Very roughly, the position consists of maintenance and development of a couple of pretty mundane web apps built in support of the center's research mission. There could be other new apps and/or more interesting work in the future, but there are no particular guarantees. There are two of us working as developers - me and the guy we need to replace (he's moving out of state). Neither of us knew Ruby or Rails when we got here, and you can see our code getting more sophisticated as it goes along. However, this means that there's a good bit of old code in our apps that should be cleaned up or just re-written.

Thanks for all the replies - I appreciate all your time and effort to respond!

egoslicer
Jun 13, 2007

Peristalsis posted:

Thanks for all the replies - I appreciate all your time and effort to respond!

The 1st of every month Hacker News has a job thread. You should toss it in there. It can be a bit chaotic, but I imagine there aren't a lot of Rails devs in your area so you won't necessarily be competing for WI folks. You should definitely look at a recruiter and stay away from monster/careerbuilder/etc. Lastly, you may want to consider remotes if they are senior enough. With lower pay, remote work could be a perk that could attract some talent.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Peristalsis posted:

Madison, WI. I'll post the job ad here once it's finalized and published. Very roughly, the position consists of maintenance and development of a couple of pretty mundane web apps built in support of the center's research mission. There could be other new apps and/or more interesting work in the future, but there are no particular guarantees. There are two of us working as developers - me and the guy we need to replace (he's moving out of state). Neither of us knew Ruby or Rails when we got here, and you can see our code getting more sophisticated as it goes along. However, this means that there's a good bit of old code in our apps that should be cleaned up or just re-written.

You could start a student dev team to take over the other developer's responsibilities, thereby saving a bunch of money because they'll do work studies for $10/hr, and giving yourself a pool of people that reduce your number of failure points. They won't help much with cleaning up code though, sort of the opposite, but you can segue into a lead/managerial role by doing this, and over time with mentoring, you'll have decent code.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

baquerd posted:

You could start a student dev team to take over the other developer's responsibilities, thereby saving a bunch of money because they'll do work studies for $10/hr, and giving yourself a pool of people that reduce your number of failure points. They won't help much with cleaning up code though, sort of the opposite, but you can segue into a lead/managerial role by doing this, and over time with mentoring, you'll have decent code.

To date, most of our student workers haven't worked out very well. They cost us a lot of time, and contribute screwed up code that we just have to re-write anyway. It's not always their fault - I'm not a particularly good mentor, and we're asking people who are just taking their first year of comp sci courses to master a lot of other skills immediately - but it hasn't been a productive strategy for us.

XRoja
Jan 8, 2002
Grimey Drawer

Peristalsis posted:

Wow, your situation looks astonishingly similar to mine. I'm one of a couple of developers in a dry research lab making web apps. We are up to our necks in coding projects. We need another developer but finding a competent developer willing to work outside of the startup/corporate-advertising-funded world is very difficult. We're in the middle of silicon valley so everyone's running to Facebook/Google/LinkedIn/Apple to make their fortune (and, really, who could blame them). Like you said, no one's getting rich in academia but it is a great lifestyle and solid benefits with decent pay.

Our applicants were all nice people but almost none of them could demonstrate basic coding skills or analytical thinking during the interviews. We didn't get very difficult either, just fizz-buzz and character array reversals.

I'm very curious to hear if anything works out for you.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

XRoja posted:

Wow, your situation looks astonishingly similar to mine. I'm one of a couple of developers in a dry research lab making web apps. We are up to our necks in coding projects. We need another developer but finding a competent developer willing to work outside of the startup/corporate-advertising-funded world is very difficult. We're in the middle of silicon valley so everyone's running to Facebook/Google/LinkedIn/Apple to make their fortune (and, really, who could blame them). Like you said, no one's getting rich in academia but it is a great lifestyle and solid benefits with decent pay.

Our applicants were all nice people but almost none of them could demonstrate basic coding skills or analytical thinking during the interviews. We didn't get very difficult either, just fizz-buzz and character array reversals.

I'm very curious to hear if anything works out for you.

I'm glad it's not just me. The last time we went through this, at least one of our applicants couldn't answer even our most basic questions on programming. Things like defining classes and objects, or explaining what a pointer is. This was a woman who claimed to be employed as a programmer elsewhere on campus, and our student intern applicants (who mostly sucked) were much better than she was. I'm surprised there aren't at least some new parents who have decent coding skills and want the job because they prefer a low-stress work environment with predictable, 40-hour work weeks.

We've been looking for ways to reach more potential applicants, but maybe we also need to play up the non-financial benefits of the job in the ad. I mean, it's probably stupid to say in a job ad that it's a low-stress position with easy hours, but we could say something about work-life balance and probably other code words.

I would say that we're probably awkward, and not very engaging interviewers, but we generally haven't even gotten many applicants we want to bother interviewing. Anyway, I still plan to link to the position here once it's posted, but that won't happen until my boss gets around to it.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I really liked working in academia, but I only got one real raise over 6 years, even though I earned a Master's degree and dramatically expanded my role and responsibilities during that time. While the low stress and other benefits of academia can be nice, I make $30k more now less than 2 years out, and that is a really hard to look past.

My university had to really step up the benefits package, and then ultimate the pay grades, in order to retain the few people left, and lure people into those open positions. It also doesn't help that the campus is in a very expensive area and is not easily accessible from most parts of the area.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

mayodreams posted:

I really liked working in academia, but I only got one real raise over 6 years, even though I earned a Master's degree and dramatically expanded my role and responsibilities during that time. While the low stress and other benefits of academia can be nice, I make $30k more now less than 2 years out, and that is a really hard to look past.

My university had to really step up the benefits package, and then ultimate the pay grades, in order to retain the few people left, and lure people into those open positions. It also doesn't help that the campus is in a very expensive area and is not easily accessible from most parts of the area.

I think the only reliable way to increase your pay at most non-profit or academic places is to be willing to apply for different jobs that become available in the organization (or at other orgs, of course). It helps to be at a big university, so that when you get tired of stagnating at the same job for the same pay in the physics department, you can apply for the higher-level gig at the medical school. I seem to go back and forth between private sector jobs and research/nonprofit positions, which helps me command a better salary when I return to nonprofit work. And 2 of my 3 jobs at private companies were at least related to public health, so I rationalized that they were better than working for big oil, or slaving away at a WalMart data center. I've also had much better luck getting accommodations (and tuition reimbursement) at the non-profit jobs. It's hard for a university or research center to dismiss the value of expanding your knowledge.

Of course, academic jobs at public universities are always very subject to the whims of politics and constant budget pressures, so that can suck. My current job only exists as long as the Department of Energy deigns to continue our grants (renewed - or not - every 5 years), so it's annoying to hear Rick Perry declare that he wants to dissolve the DoE because freedom, and know that it's not impossible that an idiot like him could be president one day.

Peristalsis fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 16, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

JOB SEEKER

Experience: 11 years progressively increasing professional IT experience in infrastructure, desktop, and server support across a variety of industries.

I see myself as someone who wants to fix problems properly the first time and document solutions like crazy so if things go wrong again, it can be fixed if I'm not available. I am big on sharing knowledge with colleagues, have excellent Google-fu, and am capable of managing shifting priorities like the best of plate-spinners. I've been both the solo guy working on fixing a massive outage and a member of a DR team. If it's a Windows or VMware environment, I can work with it.

Education: Bachelor's in political science from an accredited 4-year university.

Certifications: MCSA for Server 2003, 2008 (MCITP: Systems Administrator), and 2012. VMware Certified Professional for vSphere 5.1. CompTIA Security+.

What I’m looking for: I'd love a vertical move to a senior sysadmin or engineering role, but would also explore project management or team leadership. I'm open to lateral moves as a systems administrator.

What I’m NOT looking for: Helpdesk/desktop support/application support/client-facing positions (unless those clients are technical staff). My current position fired the helpdesk guy and has me doing the helpdesk and sysadmin work. It's demoralizing and I'd much rather have technical challenges rather than customer service challenges.

Where I live: Northern NJ.

Where I’m looking: Northern/central NJ, Manhattan near PABT/Penn or any A/C/E/1/2/3 stop, Jersey City near a PATH stop, or downtown near WTC PATH.

When I can start: Within two weeks of accepting an offer and delivering notice.

Requirements: Full time, decent health plan (I will ask to see actual costs before I accept an offer, preferably early in the process), salary commensurate with experience and responsibilities. If in NYC, I will expect the salary to reflect the higher costs of work and will also want to get transit/parking reimbursement.

Telecommuting would be wonderful and really get my interest.

I'm still on the market to make a move, even a lateral one.

Klenath
Aug 12, 2005

Shigata ga nai.

Peristalsis posted:

I think the only reliable way to increase your pay at most non-profit or academic places is to be willing to apply for different jobs that become available in the organization (or at other orgs, of course). It helps to be at a big university, so that when you get tired of stagnating at the same job for the same pay in the physics department, you can apply for the higher-level gig at the medical school.

Of course, academic jobs at public universities are always very subject to the whims of politics and constant budget pressures, so that can suck.
I've worked at a state funded public higher education institution for 14 years (still do) and this is absolutely true. A lot of it has to do with the red tape around giving raises coupled with regular state budget shortfalls and cuts as we're all state government employees here. The only way I've made significant strides in growing my pay is changing jobs within the campus. Where I work there's literally no incentive to get a degree or any certifications unless you plan to use them to change jobs or as a personal achievement. You may get a cost of living adjustment every couple of years at 1-2% of your gross, but merit/performance based raises have been very few and far between due to state budget shortfalls or because the latest politician in charge doesn't like funding higher education. For a stretch of about 5 years nobody got a raise in any form unless they changed jobs.

Higher education can provide tuition remission where you don't pay a single dime in tuition costs ever (you still pay fees, for books, etc.) whereas with reimbursement you have to float the cost at some point. This can be great if you don't have a degree and want to get one for your own personal reasons, which is what I did. The benefit can extend to dependents, so those with kids nearing college age often hang around for free college tuition for their kids. There can be a lot more flexibility with getting and taking time off as well compared to private. It's also usually REALLY hard to get fired so even if you're mediocre at best you'll likely have a job for life ... albeit at lower pay than in private most likely. Two sides to every coin.

If you're crazy enough to want work in higher education, I like to keep an eye on https://www.higheredjobs.com. Every university has their own jobs page as well and you usually have to apply through their system to be considered.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

mayodreams posted:

I work in Higher Ed and it's certainly not low stress, I'm curious if that's the general understanding of the field? I've been swiftly rejected for a lot of private sector jobs and I'm wondering if that's why - this is the highest stress/workload job I've ever had. It's incredibly high visibility, you still work with tons of executive/VIP level clients (at least I do), and our community is gigantic compared to most corporate ones.

It all depends on where you're at. We're unionized and get small but guaranteed raises every year as well. I'm lucky to be in an enclave of higher education, so there isn't just one or two small schools to choose from, but yes, I'm looking at management level jobs that pay probably $20-40k less (depends on bonuses, etc.) than some of their private sector equivalents.

My job offers massive, massive discounts on classes taken here. I've calculated that I'd need a salary/bonus increase of at least $25,000 over 3 years, otherwise any increase is washed away by having to pay for classes.

We're looking for a contractor, but I don't have hiring power, so I feel uncomfortable posting anything concrete. I've tried to get people interviews in the past and it hasn't always worked. I'm happy to answer questions as well about higher ed IT.

xie fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 16, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We need a mid-senior level UC delivery engineer/consultant in the DC area.

Who we are: Full service, smallish VAR and IT consulting firm dealing in all market segments

What we're looking for:
The job posting lays out some numbers and poo poo, but basically you'll want 5 years of UC experience, specifically with Cisco's offerings, and a CCVP/CCNP: Voice with a solid understanding of standard routing and switching. We're a gold partner, so for better or worse your certs do matter. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you the official job description so you can tailor your resume to make it past the HR guys (although TBH if you're good I'll send it straight over to the hiring manager). You'll also need to be able to get a security clearance, so just keep that in mind.

Biggest thing is that you'll need people skills. You'll be a delivery engineer that will also be doing a lot of consulting, so dealing with difficult customers will be a regular occurrence. Self-management is also a big one - you'll be expected to manage your time yourself with your PM, so communication is also important. As I mentioned earlier, generalized and holistic networking and IT knowledge will be critical as well. Expect to spend a good bit of your time on customer sites; expect local and regional travel weekly and domestic travel 2-3 times a year.

This is a good opportunity for someone who has spent time in operations and is looking to get into consulting, or to escape the hellscape that is government contracting.

The Good:
Very laid-back environment with a great group of people. All of the engineers, both presales and delivery, help one another out and are always willing to provide advice or assist with any questions you have if you're outside of your wheelhouse. Good opportunity to work with industry-leading technology in just about every situation imaginable. If you like attacking challenges and get a kick out of working with different people in different environments and solving lots of unique problems, you'll enjoy this position. Biggest thing for me is that I basically make my own schedule and have a great deal of independence as to how I handle my projects.

The company hosts lots of social events and is pretty generous at all of them. Of course, since you'll be in delivery you'll end up missing out on a lot of it just due to the nature of the position.

The Bad:
You'll be a consultant, so customers are hiring you to fulfill their sick and twisted IT fantasies. It's your job to talk them down from the clouds and convince them to do it the correct way. Even then, you may be forced to tackle some design challenges that make you want to bang your head against the wall. If you like knowing every aspect of your environment and can't stand surprises, you'll hate this position and consulting in general.

The schedule is also non-standard. While it's pretty rare you'll work more than 40 hours per week, you'll get roped into customer maintenance windows pretty regularly. Finally, although there's plenty of opportunities for training and certifications, we run pretty lean on personnel, so all of that takes a backseat to customer needs.

Benefits:
This company compensates pretty damned well, and it's definitely a seller's market for talent. Health insurance is good (high deductible PPO), HSA, 401k is decent (50% match), 3 weeks of PTO (but they're good about WFH and family engagements, so if you or your kids are sick then it's not like you're burning up your PTO).

There's also certification reimbursements (you can fail twice and they'll still cover the costs) and a cellphone reimbursement, as well as tuition assistance.

They're getting fairly desperate for someone, so paid relocation may be in the cards (not sure). PM me for details or for a link to the job description.

psydude fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 17, 2015

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Our school system is looking to hire a Network Analyst.

Location: Asheboro, NC. It's basically in the middle of the state. 20 miles south of Greensboro, about 1.5 hours (SW) from Raleigh, about 2 from Charlotte (E).

Who we are: A public school system.

What we're looking for: A network Analyst. Basically you need to know WIndows Server Admin, Network, switching, VLANS, Exchange (we're gonna migrate to O365, have fun with that!), some WAN experience. We have 10 sites. Our Central office, a High School, 2 middle schools, 5 Elementary Schools and a PreK. Some are hosted at Central, and some schools still have their servers at the school itself. Some of your projects to start will be setting up and putting up over 300 new Access Points in addition to our wifi (An AP per classroom), looking at migrating our Exchange Server to O365.

The Good: State benefits (Okay, not as awesome as they used to be, but still good). The job isn't incredibly difficult, our current Analyst complains about having too much free time, which means you help train us (ME) to help with whatever. It's pretty easy, you deal 99% with teachers and admin, and the admin at this school aren't too terribly pompous.

The Bad: It's a school system. Budget restrictions are the norm. Like this year we don't really have a Tech budget because the HIgh School gym NEEDED A AC RIGHT NOW and cost a lot more than they though, so they took money from everywhere else. We need better servers at Central so we can virtualize everything, but they need AC's in gyms. When it's testing time, OH MY GOD THE SCREEN IS FLIPPED 90 DEGREES LET ME CALL THE TECH 10 TIMES BEFORE HE CAN FINISH A RESPONSE TO MY 6 EMAILS IN THE PAST 5 MINUTES. Otherwise it's a pretty chill job.

Benefits: Pay. State level benefits. No 401k matching, you HAVE to participate in the state retirement plan, and it takes 5 years to be fully vested. Medical benefits are pretty sweet overall.

There's no cert reimbursements, yet. Maybe if they stop putting $600k AC's in the gym (When they budget like $200k), we would have the money to. That's going to be part of your job too! Get us certs!

Here's the official listing: http://www.asheboro.k12.nc.us/UserFiles/Servers/Server_744237/File/HR%20Vacancies/Network%20Systems%20Analyst_Vacancy.pdf

If you have any questions, PM me or you can email me: gothmog1065@gmail.com

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

So I'm in a deteriorating work situation. It's not quite to the point where I'm writing 'I QUIT' in sharpie on my boss' face, but I'm pretty much done with this job.

JOB SEEKER

My experience: 4+ years in my current role, as a Firewall Engineer (now a Senior F/W Engineer) for a large managed hosting company. I've worked on ASA/PIX firewalls (7/8/9 code trains), Catalyst and Nexus switches, Cisco CSS, Brocade ADX, and F5 BigIP LTM (v10 and v11 code). I have a very minimal experience with JunOS, and I'd probably need a fair amount of time to get used to JunOS again. I originally got into this business to do routing and switching, but I'll be the first to admit that my routing skills are not as sharp as they used to be, mostly because I don't use them much day to day except to set up static routes on the aforementioned ASAs; I spend most of my time making changes to the above devices.

Before that, several years in the NOC for a large state university, where I picked up some odd skills. Please don't ask me to IPL a mainframe. I can (probably) still do it, but I'll die inside if I have to do that again.

I know a little Python (enough to usually be able to follow someone else's code), and I have experience with Linux/OS X/Windows, though I'm not a SysAd by any means.

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security, CCSP 1/4 (FIREWALL).

What I'm looking for: I'd like a role that actually fits my title. Right now, my day is mostly taking calls to troubleshoot VPNs for people who don't know how to program their refurbished Sonicwall/MicroTik/lovely D-Link VPN Accelerator. This is not where I want to continue to be. I'd like to actually build networks/security solutions instead of cleaning up busted ones.

What I'm NOT looking for: Helpdesk work. Taking direct customer calls sometimes is OK, but I do that almost exclusively in my current position, and I'd really like to move into a role where I get to do more complex work and less live debugging of VPNs. 1099 jobs need not ask me to apply. FTE or bust.

Where I live: Austin/Round Rock, TX

Where I'm looking: Austin area, Phoenix/Tempe AZ (I have friends/family out there, so I could be persuaded to move), Seattle WA (same). Remote work would also be great.

When I can start: Depends on where the job is. If you're in Austin, I can start with two weeks' notice to my current job. If you're elsewhere, that's a horse of a different color.

Requirements: The usual insurances. Training programs and/or compensation for certifications earned. Pay depends on the area (probably a little less in AZ, probably a bit more in Seattle). I'm not looking to wear a tie to work every day. Collared shirts can be negotiated. :v:

Can be reached via: PMs, my username @ gmail, my username on LinkedIn.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Peristalsis posted:

Anyway, I still plan to link to the position here once it's posted, but that won't happen until my boss gets around to it.

As promised: https://www.ohr.wisc.edu/Weblisting/External/PVLSummary.aspx?pvl_num=83479

(Linked because it's pretty long-winded. I can quote the whole thing here if people really want me to.)

Peristalsis fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 21, 2015

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Jedi425 posted:

So I'm in a deteriorating work situation. It's not quite to the point where I'm writing 'I QUIT' in sharpie on my boss' face, but I'm pretty much done with this job.

:smith::hf::sigh:

JOB SEEKER

My experience: 5+ years in my current role, as Operations Manager for an insurance investigations company. Oversee the IT infrastructure, support, as well as a lot of other poo poo including investigations and managing employees. Basically 3 jobs, 1 salary and nobody seems to understand why I'm cranky. Just the usual problem of starting with a company in its infancy and being the one who's "good with computers."

Certifications: None :sigh:

What I'm looking for: I'd love to do the IT stuff, and only IT stuff. I'm looking for a sysadmin type job in a small to medium sized company.

What I'm NOT looking for: I don't know poo poo about database management or programming. I can google my way through just about anything else though.

Where I live: Western Suburbs of Chicago, IL

Where I'm looking: Chicago area but also willing to relocate to Denver, Bozeman, Seattle, maybe somewhere else west of the Mississippi if the job is right.

When I can start: My personal poo poo in my office is already packed.

Requirements: Healthcare, decent salary ($55k+ doesn't seem out of line), ongoing training and education opportunities would be nice. Casual environment is a plus but also willing to wear a suit every day if that's what it takes.

Can be reached via: PMs, chrisbrenner at g mail dot com

Resume here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5v7zm8831wrx8p5/2015ITResume.pdf?dl=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Who we are: A profitable (~220mil cash in bank), 0 debt, public company, consumer facing (double sided market, people give us stuff to sell and people come to us to buy stuff)

What we're looking for: SDETs DESPERATELY. Also Developers.

Ruby, Cucumber, Selenium - though doesn't matter, just be smart and good coder/design.
Node.js, Ruby, Java, Perl - Everything is moving off perl, new hires will most likely not be on a Perl team.

The Good: Uhh a lot. Top pay (total comp for an SDET is easily 140k/yr and 170k/yr for developers, broken down by salary, stock, and bonus). $700 for a gym. 3% 401k match. Massages on every other Friday. Catered lunch everyday. Sometimes I just fly to another office and work for week, its cool. The work is interesting too, a lot of interesting challenges, large ingestion of data, computer vision, search, all types of stuff. Also work life balance.

The Bad: We are understaffed and growing. This does not mean long hours (unless you are me). The new people get put on low risk teams and work normal hours. I need to find more people so I can offload my less important work and get back to 40hr/weeks I've had for the last year.

Benefits: Gym, Food, Health Insurance (not sure what we pay I think I pay $40 a month?). 1 Month paternity leave. Maternity leave I'm not sure the length but I have to assume longer than paternity.

PM me.