Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well I know she shows up in the last season since m first episode was the one about the Mother and it was delightful. Kind of looking forward to that, actually.

The series finale is one of that you will never forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bobkatt013 posted:

The series finale is one of that you will never forget.

I already know about the two endings. Well, I know there ARE two endings, (and that the aired one is really controversial) but not the exact details.

Also: I'm at the end of Season 1. Lily is kind of a jerk. But everyone else is just super.

Dekenai
Mar 11, 2009

So I'm binging through Fringe at long last, I mention that John Noble is awesome, and it turns out my kids are distantly related to him on their dad's side - third cousins or something.

(Watching S3Ep19 now, animated zombies and zeppelins, cool)

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Shadow posted:

A Young Doctor's Notebook with Harry Potter and Don Draper was really loving good. I spent the last 2.5 hours watching the entire series. It's super short at 22 minute episodes, 4 per season, 2 seasons. Really clever way of illustrating regret and realizing you hated who you used to be.

Recommend it.

Popped in to quote this man. I think I've seen this show at least 3 times and it really is good. Perfect example of how can less be more. Highly recommend, especially if you enjoy russian literature or dark comedies. To the goon who recommend it, I'll recommend the book it's based on.

If you like dark comedies and can put up with the abomination that is the norwegian language, Dag, about a psychiatrist/marriage counselor who hates people, loves Elvis and eats valium from a PEZ dispenser, is good too.

If you don't fancy norwegian and instead is looking for a new quick uk comedy binge, the detectorists is pretty good. I think it won the bafta for best screenplay for a uk comedy series last (this?) year. It's a comedy with toby jones and mackenzie crook about two people walking around in fields with metal detectors hoping to find a big cache of gold, but mainly finding bottlecaps. It's really very sweet.

I'd love a new show to binge and continually check the thread for recommendations. Goons really seem to enjoy shows like Spartacus and vikings or even Rome, but I just haven't been able to enjoy either of them. I should probably just start over with the Americans (saw the first season, then forgot about the show until it suddenly became a hit with the follow up seasons), but if anyone can recommend anything a little more esorteric and weird, I'd be thankful. Assume I've seen all the house mds, walking deads, wires, sopranos, rubicons, thick of its, black mirrors, utopias, les revenants, killings, etc. Could be comedy or drama as long as it's good and I haven't seen it. Language doesn't matter either. TV addict in need of a fix here.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Prinneh, try Banshee. It's on Cinemax, it owns, and there's not really anything on TV like it. First season is on Amazon Prime, too.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

prinneh posted:

I'd love a new show to binge and continually check the thread for recommendations. Goons really seem to enjoy shows like Spartacus and vikings or even Rome, but I just haven't been able to enjoy either of them. I should probably just start over with the Americans (saw the first season, then forgot about the show until it suddenly became a hit with the follow up seasons), but if anyone can recommend anything a little more esorteric and weird, I'd be thankful. Assume I've seen all the house mds, walking deads, wires, sopranos, rubicons, thick of its, black mirrors, utopias, les revenants, killings, etc. Could be comedy or drama as long as it's good and I haven't seen it. Language doesn't matter either. TV addict in need of a fix here.
Braquo is a French show about corrupt cops, kinda Shield-y and it's pretty drat good.
Line of Duty is a UK cop show about their internal affairs department. It's 1 case per season, with a bunch of twists but actually good ones unlike most US shows.
The Good Wife is about lawyers and I never bothered checking it out until last year because I thought the name is stupid, but I really enjoyed it. It's the only show I can think of atm where I enjoy the office politics.
Similarly, I never checked out Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23 because of the name, but Dawson makes that one hilarious.
The Red Road is about poo poo happening to people from a Lenope tribe trying to get recognized by the federal government. Has Jason Momoa.

I'm guessing Banshee and Strike Back get mentioned often enough in this thread.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Banshee gets mentioned a lot in this subforum, but it's obscure as poo poo outside of SA, so I'm recommending it anyways :v:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vodos posted:

Braquo is a French show about corrupt cops, kinda Shield-y and it's pretty drat good.
Line of Duty is a UK cop show about their internal affairs department. It's 1 case per season, with a bunch of twists but actually good ones unlike most US shows.
The Good Wife is about lawyers and I never bothered checking it out until last year because I thought the name is stupid, but I really enjoyed it. It's the only show I can think of atm where I enjoy the office politics.
Similarly, I never checked out Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23 because of the name, but Dawson makes that one hilarious.
The Red Road is about poo poo happening to people from a Lenope tribe trying to get recognized by the federal government. Has Jason Momoa.

Braquo is loving AWESOME! LeShield for sure, but a lot darker and everyone is a complete bastard.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Good shows that don't get recommended too often

Just not very well known
-You're the Worst
-Blue Mountain State

Nobody watches shows on MTV
-Awkward
-Faking It

British
-Him and Her
-The Job Lot
-Hustle

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
First of all, thank you all for your recommendations :)

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Prinneh, try Banshee. It's on Cinemax, it owns, and there's not really anything on TV like it. First season is on Amazon Prime, too.
I've discarded Banshee before on account of this trailer - does it, in your opinion, accurately portray the show?

Vodos posted:

How Shieldey is Braquo? I did not enjoy or even finish first season of The Shield, would that turn me off it? Could you compare it to, say, another French crime show like Spiral?

Line of Duty looks to be a sorta like maybe the honourable woman/the shadow line light, so I'll check it out. Plus, season 2 adds Keeley Hawes to the mix and I've enjoyed watching her in other stuff like Ashes to Ashes and Ambassadors. Thank you :)

The Good Wife I'm the opposite of you on this, I like the name, but the show is not for me, I just can't get interested in lawyers. Gave it a few episodes a couple of years back, but it just didn't connect with me. Sorry. I hear the later seasons are a lot better than the earlier, but this show must be around 100+ hours long by now, right?

Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23 I agree about the title of this show! That name has kept me firmly away, but I'll give it a go tonight. Thank you!

The Red Road Never heard of this before. Does this trailer accurately portray the show?

If I heard about Strike Back, I didn't register it :/ I'll look more into it. Thank you.

THF13 posted:

Just not very well known
-You're the Worst
-Blue Mountain State

-Awkward
-Faking It

British
-Him and Her
-The Job Lot
-Hustle

I have seen all or at least a few episodes of all these shows. I think You're the worst is brilliant, I'm hearing it'll be back in september :) The rest of your list I could probably do without ever rewatching or finishing, though I'm sure someone else will go through this thread and find a lot of recommendations to their liking on this list. Thank you for suggesting these. If you enjoy The Job Lot, there's a chance you might like The Smoking Room.

Again, thank you everyone, I love you and I love this thread :)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Banshee is adolescent male power fantasy bullsshit. It's watchable, but it's certainly nothing more than the adventures of one odd-headed man in a fourteen year old's daydream.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

prinneh posted:

I've discarded Banshee before on account of this trailer - does it, in your opinion, accurately portray the show?

...jesus they made it look generic.

Here, I'll link you to a fight scene from it and you can judge for yourself. It's well-written, but the key appeal of the show is in the action sequences- there's not really any other shows doing fights like this except maybe Daredevil, and even that's not on the same level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ok3h8E42Qs

e: Also, like 90% of the plot of Banshee is life finding new and exciting ways to poo poo all over the protagonist, so if it's a power fantasy it's a rather masochistic one. Seriously, dude is constantly getting screwed by blind luck.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 15, 2015

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

THF13 posted:

Just not very well known
-You're the Worst
-Blue Mountain State

-Awkward
-Faking It

British
-Him and Her
-The Job Lot
-Hustle

Hustle is my favorite con artist show ever and anyone who hasn't seen it yet should check it out.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...jesus they made it look generic.

Here, I'll link you to a fight scene from it and you can judge for yourself. It's well-written, but the key appeal of the show is in the action sequences- there's not really any other shows doing fights like this except maybe Daredevil, and even that's not on the same level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ok3h8E42Qs

e: Also, like 90% of the plot of Banshee is life finding new and exciting ways to poo poo all over the protagonist, so if it's a power fantasy it's a rather masochistic one. Seriously, dude is constantly getting screwed by blind luck.

Yeah, this is probably a little heavy on the action side for me, I'm a little more Brideshead Revisited than Daredevil ;) Though I'm always glad to see follow Danes cast as villains, everytime it happens (and it's happening a lot lately), people in the states will see me being just a little more of a sinister character each time I visit :D

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

prinneh posted:

How Shieldey is Braquo? I did not enjoy or even finish first season of The Shield, would that turn me off it? Could you compare it to, say, another French crime show like Spiral?

Line of Duty looks to be a sorta like maybe the honourable woman/the shadow line light, so I'll check it out. Plus, season 2 adds Keeley Hawes to the mix and I've enjoyed watching her in other stuff like Ashes to Ashes and Ambassadors. Thank you :)

The Good Wife I'm the opposite of you on this, I like the name, but the show is not for me, I just can't get interested in lawyers. Gave it a few episodes a couple of years back, but it just didn't connect with me. Sorry. I hear the later seasons are a lot better than the earlier, but this show must be around 100+ hours long by now, right?

Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23 I agree about the title of this show! That name has kept me firmly away, but I'll give it a go tonight. Thank you!

The Red Road Never heard of this before. Does this trailer accurately portray the show?

If I heard about Strike Back, I didn't register it :/ I'll look more into it. Thank you.
Braquo is a lot darker than Shield, it's only comparable because it's about dirty cops. It's also focused on the team, they don't have storylines centered around detectives or patrol, unlike Shield. As was already said, everyone's a bastard. I haven't watched Spiral yet so I can't compare (it's on my Netflix list though).

Red Road isn't really anything too special, just thought I'd throw it out there because I liked the setting. It's drama with murder, drugs, racism, interracial relationships, ex-cons getting hosed, natives getting hosed and schizophrenia.

Strike Back has a bit of a weird history, it started as a UK (sky?) show, they did a 3 episode season and then it got picked up by Cinemaxx, who dumped the whole cast and turned it into an action buddy series with the best firefights on tv. It kinda goes hand in hand with Banshee, which has the best melee fights on tv.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just finished Sense8. Enjoyed it but was making sure the whole time not to think too much about the "sci-fi technicalities" of what exactly was going on, and I think that worked to my benefit in terms of how much I enjoyed the show. The plot was nothing special but I'm getting that feeling of "I'm going to miss these characters" that I usually get after binging character-centric stuff like Six Feet Under, Friday Night Lights or Switched at Birth, and this is only 12 episodes.

Plenty of potential here, hoping they dial back the more goofy stuff (I mean of course one of the 8 happens to be a kickass martial arts expert) and knock it out of the park in subsequent seasons. It's the Wachowski's though, so...... they might not do that. If/when the time comes that I'm required, more than now that is, to embrace the crazy if I want to continue watching then I hope it's the good kind of crazy.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

prinneh posted:

This is now my new watch while drunk after 00:00 show. I'll read your comments about the shows I asked you about tomorrow. Thank you vodos for being so swift to reply^^

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Vodos posted:

Braquo is a lot darker than Shield, it's only comparable because it's about dirty cops. It's also focused on the team, they don't have storylines centered around detectives or patrol, unlike Shield. As was already said, everyone's a bastard. I haven't watched Spiral yet so I can't compare (it's on my Netflix list though).

Red Road isn't really anything too special, just thought I'd throw it out there because I liked the setting. It's drama with murder, drugs, racism, interracial relationships, ex-cons getting hosed, natives getting hosed and schizophrenia.

Strike Back has a bit of a weird history, it started as a UK (sky?) show, they did a 3 episode season and then it got picked up by Cinemaxx, who dumped the whole cast and turned it into an action buddy series with the best firefights on tv. It kinda goes hand in hand with Banshee, which has the best melee fights on tv.

I'll look into the Braquo, thank you, but probably skip Red road then. Is it worth it just watching 3-episode season of Strike Back, or does it end very cliff-hangery?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My advice is watch Chris Ryan's Strike Back because it is good, but be aware the other series is vastly different in a good way. I'm pretty sure none of the cast carry over.

Basically the first is about one guy. The rest is about the military unit he worked for, but based around the two leads.

Braquo is hard work if foreign drama isn't your thing. They are a special ops morally ambiguous thug cops, but story aside it's closer to The Wire in look and feel. . Makes Paris look like the poo poo hole that it is. :)

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 16, 2015

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Also watch The Leftovers. 2% of the population just up and disappears and people react to it in various ways. Some freak out, others join cults, some act like life has no meaning, others think life has ONLY meaning because they're still here, etc. It's really loving well done. I can't wait for the second season!

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
The first season of Strike Back doesn't have three episodes, it's more like ten I think. But it is completely different from the rest of it.

The end of season 1 acts as a hook for the second season, but pretty much just for the first episode. You can start at the 2nd season without getting lost.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 16, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Shadow posted:

Also watch The Leftovers. 2% of the population just up and disappears and people react to it in various ways. Some freak out, others join cults, some act like life has no meaning, others think life has ONLY meaning because they're still here, etc. It's really loving well done. I can't wait for the second season!

Have you seen the S2 trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bZVUU3zbXk

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
That trailer for season 2 forgot to say when season 2 was starting... wtf

Hmm... I'm withholding judgment right now. So there's a huge line to get into some magical town that lost no one. I'm sure there's tons of towns that haven't lost anyone. It'd be statistically impossible (and formulate a pattern) if whatever caused the disappearance decided that every arbitrary, manmade border must lose at least one person.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shadow posted:

Hmm... I'm withholding judgment right now. So there's a huge line to get into some magical town that lost no one. I'm sure there's tons of towns that haven't lost anyone. It'd be statistically impossible (and formulate a pattern) if whatever caused the disappearance decided that every arbitrary, manmade border must lose at least one person.

You can't reason with fanatics or zealots. I have a feeling that after everyone gets into the whole 'this city is safe', it'll come out that they did lose someone, and everything just goes to poo poo.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I feel like that city is only safe if you think it's going to happen again... and even then....

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You can't reason with fanatics or zealots.
alright, alright...

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just started binging Bloodline and I'm having an intensely negative reaction to almost every character on it, perhaps coming straight off Sense8 where I liked most of them has something to do with it.

You can't reason with fanatics or zealots. I have a feeling that after everyone gets into the whole 'this city is safe', it'll come out that they did lose someone, and everything just goes to poo poo.

But are they fanatics when the fantastic has already actually happened?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cactus posted:

Just started binging Bloodline and I'm having an intensely negative reaction to almost every character on it, perhaps coming straight off Sense8 where I liked most of them has something to do with it.

Basically every character is a piece of poo poo but they are consistent about it at least.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Shadow posted:

Haha, I saw this when it first came out. It was alright, initially I wasn't going to watch because I read a review that basically said "When watching this show you'll soon find yourself wishing you were one of the people who were plucked from the story within the first 10 minutes and therefore not having to go through any more of this show" Very harsh haha, but then a friend made me watch it. It's ok, but it's not one of those shows where I can't wait to rewatch season 1 when season 2 premieres.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

prinneh posted:

I did not enjoy or even finish first season of The Shield

Sounds like you have up right when it was about to start getting good. You should give it another shot, it gets a lot better in the second season or maybe the second half of the first. It's been a while and I can't remember when exactly but it gets less and less procedural as you get further in.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Sounds like you have up right when it was about to start getting good. You should give it another shot, it gets a lot better in the second season or maybe the second half of the first. It's been a while and I can't remember when exactly but it gets less and less procedural as you get further in.

And that ending is just so :gonk:

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Cactus posted:

The Americans is so good. And this year's season contains the most violent, disturbing scene I've seen on telly and I've watched most of the other shows people say that about. Fantastic stuff, I'd say it's like a cross between Breaking Bad and season 1 Homeland.

i binged through all 3 seasons in less than a week. i love spy shows and this show is just beyond amazing.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Slaapaav posted:

i binged through all 3 seasons in less than a week. i love spy shows and this show is just beyond amazing.

Yeah when people say "the suitcase" in the context of TV shows a lot of people think of Mad Men and smile. A small number now think of the Americans instead, and it is a whole different reaction.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Just finished Justified season 1, that was really good. Does the show keep being that good?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Justified is a solid B+ show and it's a lot of fun. I think it gets much better after season 1 and way less crime of the week.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

ZZZorcerer posted:

Just finished Justified season 1, that was really good. Does the show keep being that good?

It gets much, much better. You're in for a hell of a ride.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

And that ending is just so :gonk:

Lem :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Why ya gotta be that guy?

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Shadow posted:

That's kind of what I thought, but the fact that a town with over 9,000 people did not lose around 180 people, but 0, is a bit of a mindfuck.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

prinneh posted:

I dunno if it was here that I heard about it but I recently watched Mr Sloane and I kind of enjoyed it. Not laugh out loud funny, more of slightly depressing comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Laverna posted:

I dunno if it was here that I heard about it but I recently watched Mr Sloane and I kind of enjoyed it. Not laugh out loud funny, more of slightly depressing comedy.

I've seen it, but thats a good recommendation. Solid cast, good story. I was sad to hear it was cancelled, which was the most depressing bit about it :(