Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

If the Ruin the Moment thread was still active, I would have changed that to "WITNESS ME!" a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

More East of West (#8 or 9 I think)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Milotic posted:

Avengers #502. Background: It has been the worst day in the Avengers' history. Jack of Hearts (who?) is dead, the non-proper Ant-man is dead, Vision is dead (but he's a robot). A bunch of Avengers have gathered to mourn, and then the Kree attack.

He gets better. But it's still badass.

It's easy to say with hindsight that this all worked out for the best, and it was hard for me to see what people were so upset about at the time because I was a neophyte when this was published, but with a decade-plus of knowledge I totally get why this pissed old Avengers fans off so hardcore.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

ManiacClown posted:

Truth. Any badass-wannabe can give a beating. It's a true badass who's willing to take one he knows is coming, especially when it's for a good cause.
It's not as weighty as March (and goddamn is that some fine comic booking), but this describes my favorite moment in Vinland Saga.

EDIT: I have some thoughts about why it's an especially effective chapter.

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 15, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mind the walrus posted:

It's easy to say with hindsight that this all worked out for the best, and it was hard for me to see what people were so upset about at the time because I was a neophyte when this was published, but with a decade-plus of knowledge I totally get why this pissed old Avengers fans off so hardcore.

I still don't care for it.

And I thought Jack of Hearts was kind of interesting; wish he hadn't been wiped out like that. :(

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

e: whoops. Replied before I saw that Deadpool told everyone to stop talking about Man of Steel.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 15, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's still kind of funny to me that we're all listening to a guy named Deadpool.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Godzilla in Hell is the best comic ever made.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Lust?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

maybe hawkeye should have taken off his quiver of arrows instead of grabbing a random kree guy and turning himself into into a suicide bomb.

I really, really did not like Bendis's avengers stuff. Although adding spidey was a good move.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GorfZaplen posted:

Those are 7 of the 10 words in the entire issue. It loving owns and I can't wait to see what the other teams do with the deeper layers of hell.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

It's the first circle (not counting Limbo).

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Drifter posted:

I swear to god none of you complaining about this stuff have even watched the movie.

Clark had never fought anyone before that day. He wasn't in control during that fight at all.

Clark THREW Zod into SPACE. Into SPACE. How much further away from Metropolis do you want him to take that fight?

Zod came back and slammed them back to metropolis and by some amount of luck Clark was able to get the upper hand and kill him.

This.

I keep seeing the same stupid complaints about Man of Steel.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm the disco ball out of nowhere in the bottom left

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

GorfZaplen posted:

That's by Stokoe, right?

Re: badass panels, I want more loving Orc Stain, dammit.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Hawkeye 22 is out. How's Kate doing?

(timg for mild spoilers)

She seems to have things well in hand. What about Clint?

Little worse for wear, but alright. What about everyone else?

Hawkeye 22

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I thought it was a toothpick at first until I looked at the panels again and saw it was a collar stay. That's incredible.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.
That was an amazing end to a great run.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I thought it was a toothpick at first until I looked at the panels again and saw it was a collar stay. That's incredible.

That's like the longest setup in comics history. They introduced Clint's collar stays what, 2 years ago?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just keep comparing that to "YOU FORGOT TO REMOVE MY FINGERNAILS DUMMY" and this is so, so much better.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Nilbop posted:

That's like the longest setup in comics history. They introduced Clint's collar stays what, 2 years ago?

To be fair, one of those years was just waiting between issues

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The art in that is incredible.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Nevvy Z posted:

I just keep comparing that to "YOU FORGOT TO REMOVE MY FINGERNAILS DUMMY" and this is so, so much better.

For the sake of balance

Ultimates 2 #10, apparently.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
God, when I was twelve that would have been so badass.

:barf:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

That never made sense to me even as a kid, as well as Bullseye somehow being able to launch a drinking straw through someone's skin. Sure it's accurate, but that doesn't mean it's suddenly forceful. "Last one goes between your eyeballs" and what? Get blood on my forehead?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I've always hated that scene too. Is there some sort of consensus as to what exactly he's doing with his fingernails?

I see all those guys grabbing their throats and choking and part of me reads it as "Hawkeye fires his fingernails into their necks like tiny chitinous knives" which is dumb but vaguely understandable in a comic book physics sort of way, but there's another part of me that reads it as "Hawkeye fires his fingernails down their throats and they start choking on them" which is even dumber.

Just how dumb is this scene?

ecavalli fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 16, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Uthor posted:

Hawkeye 22

That fell flat for me because I never bought track suit bros or mime man as an actual threat. Every victory they chalked up felt like blatant authorial fiat to me instead of feeling earned by the story.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Re: the fingernail thing, it's basically a comics version of CRITICAL HIT!! In a way I respect it because it's an attempt to make Hawkeye badass aside from just being a gimmick dude with a gimmick bow, but yes, the modern version does it infinitely better (tbh like almost everything in the Ultimate line that I've ever seen).

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Flesh Forge posted:

Re: the fingernail thing, it's basically a comics version of CRITICAL HIT!! In a way I respect it because it's an attempt to make Hawkeye badass aside from just being a gimmick dude with a gimmick bow, but yes, the modern version does it infinitely better (tbh like almost everything in the Ultimate line that I've ever seen).

The Ultimate line had a purpose...to be the "shocking", "anything goes" line when the main line was pretty conservative. But the main line's pretty out there now, and the Ultimate line has run out of good ideas, so it was time to put 'em down. And hey, at least the Ultimate line gets a decent send off, as opposed the New Universe, which just kinda petered out.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

How the gently caress are they detaching like that? How is he flicking his fingers so hard that the fingernail flies out hard enough to incapacitate someone? He might as well shoot them with eye-lasers at that point.

Unless it's some kind of crazy gadget they installed under his nails for some insane reason?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

How the gently caress are they detaching like that? How is he flicking his fingers so hard that the fingernail flies out hard enough to incapacitate someone? He might as well shoot them with eye-lasers at that point.

Unless it's some kind of crazy gadget they installed under his nails for some insane reason?

I don't think that any thought beyond "THIS IS HARDCORE BRO" was put into this.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

He picks them off first untl they're only slightly attached, or he picks them off entirely. It's not that big a deal.

And he's dying of scurvy or whatever so he can peel them off. It's honestly not worth thinking about. It's just a vehicle for violence. I mean, how does Hulk hulk?

There's no thought, it just happens - which is all you're supposed to care about here. It just happens.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Ultimate Line's real purpose was to act as the test bed for movie - shaped versions of Marvel staples, and it served that purpose well for the first few years. After that it got bad and it got bad in a hurry, save for USM for the most part.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The Ultimates was the first time we had Sam Jackson in the Fury role, right? Like, years before the movies? I don't even know the timelines for these things.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Drifter posted:

The Ultimates was the first time we had Sam Jackson in the Fury role, right? Like, years before the movies? I don't even know the timelines for these things.

Yeah, and Jackson licensed out his likeness explicitly so he could have first dibs if a movie ever happened.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Drifter posted:

Sam Jackson gave Marvel permission to use his likeness for Ultimate Fury on the condition that, should they ever use Fury in a movie, the role would go to Jackson.

E: So that's how it feels.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

What I'm getting from this is Sam Jackson, in addition to being a great actor, is loving brilliant.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Alacron posted:

I don't think that any thought beyond "THIS IS HARDCORE BRO" was put into this.

Mark Millar in a nutshell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Cabbit posted:

What I'm getting from this is Sam Jackson, in addition to being a great actor, is loving brilliant.

Seriously, I wonder how much money his Nick Fury role has netted him.