Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Alright,thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Hrm, I think I just figured out how to give Caves of Qud full controller support. #couchesofqud

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
Well, I beat the Red Rocks and Argyve quest. Are the two quests in Joppa the only quests in the game so far?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mr. Belding posted:

Well, I beat the Red Rocks and Argyve quest. Are the two quests in Joppa the only quests in the game so far?

Argyve should send you to Grit Gate, a dungeon/town to the northeast -- he has multiple quests, so keep talking to him until he does. Grit Gate in turn will send you to Golgotha, and if you survive that they'll send you to Bethesda Susa. Additionally, there's a town vaguely east of Joppa called Kyakukya (or something like that) which has a horribly lethal quest to take out a psychic goatman shaman.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Argyve should send you to Grit Gate, a dungeon/town to the northeast -- he has multiple quests, so keep talking to him until he does. Grit Gate in turn will send you to Golgotha, and if you survive that they'll send you to Bethesda Susa. Additionally, there's a town vaguely east of Joppa called Kyakukya (or something like that) which has a horribly lethal quest to take out a psychic goatman shaman.

My axe wielding true human barely made it through red rocks so I suppose I'll take him to die in one of these horrible places.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
That description of Qud from the last page is both hilarious and, best of all, correct. Congrats on the release Unormal and co.

Unormal posted:

Hrm, I think I just figured out how to give Caves of Qud full controller support. #couchesofqud

Badass.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i like how the marketing stuff has it play into the whole 'old fantasy/sci-fi novel' aesthetic because that poo poo is right up my alley and isn't something you see way too often these days.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Unormal posted:

:getin:

Tomorrow, the World touch-screen!

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
What's up with cell recharging? The tinker archetype starts with the ability, but it's not clear what skill gives it to him (or what it requires to use).

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

10/10 would buy again

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Mr. Belding posted:

What's up with cell recharging? The tinker archetype starts with the ability, but it's not clear what skill gives it to him (or what it requires to use).

P sure its Tinker I

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mr. Belding posted:

Tinkering I gives it and it uses A bits (turn on colorblind tinkering), something like 1 per 4000 energy restored. A chem cell has 10k capacity.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
This is really minor but i figured i would report it anyway, i managed to buy a Legendary fork-horned gnu's Burrowing claws.

Unless him being willing to sell his hands to me is an intentional feature.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Caves of Qud says it may run on Linux. It doesent require steamos does it?

I'll probably go buy it now anyway, but I'm really getting sick of the direction Windows is moving towards.

Actually, I'm sick of Steam too so I'll more directly support you.

Wait for humble and get steam key, eh?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

galahan posted:

Caves of Qud says it may run on Linux. It doesent require steamos does it?

I'll probably go buy it now anyway, but I'm really getting sick of the direction Windows is moving towards.

Actually, I'm sick of Steam too so I'll more directly support you.

Wait for humble and get steam key, eh?

You can get a steam key from humble on https://www.freeholdgames.com via widget already (with bitcoin even, laugh)!

It's just Unity Linux support, so everything Unity supports. (Ubuntu officially)

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

dis astranagant posted:

Tinkering I gives it and it uses A bits (turn on colorblind tinkering), something like 1 per 4000 energy restored. A chem cell has 10k capacity.

poo poo I don't have any of those. Guess my teleporter and magical firehammer remain a doorstop and a normal hammer. Whenever I hit something with this it feels as if I were taking the remote control up to the cable box and using it to poke at the buttons like a fat-finger wand.

Also tinker i didn't give it to me, so maybe you need disassemble too.

Mr. Belding fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 16, 2015

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Clever Spambot posted:

This is really minor but i figured i would report it anyway, i managed to buy a Legendary fork-horned gnu's Burrowing claws.

Unless him being willing to sell his hands to me is an intentional feature.

It's a known bug with how natural attacks are represented and how the monster AI chooses to equip itself. Basically, the gnu must have rolled the Burrowing Claws mutation and a nice pair of gloves, and decided to favor the gloves.

Gnu might be right in its evaluation.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Unormal posted:

:toot:

Also congratulations on the release of Qud!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

hand of luke posted:

It's a known bug with how natural attacks are represented and how the monster AI chooses to equip itself. Basically, the gnu must have rolled the Burrowing Claws mutation and a nice pair of gloves, and decided to favor the gloves.

Gnu might be right in its evaluation.

#workingasintended

e: Also, we know all of those issues with gunslinger and tinkering (and a lot of other skills) and we're gonna fix them and it's gonna be awesome; but not this week, I'm exhausted.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Unormal posted:

You can get a steam key from humble on https://www.freeholdgames.com via widget already (with bitcoin even, laugh)!

It's just Unity Linux support, so everything Unity supports. (Ubuntu officially)

...would you accept a trashbag full of Amazon giftcards instead? Asking for a friend of course.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
I don't know how, but I just killed Mehmet as a starting character on accident, so that's a thing.

That's cool and all, but like. I need those xp from the quest.

Mr. Belding fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 16, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Mehmet dying randomly is kind of a thing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

He randomly shows up on the warden's poo poo list and since the warden's somewhere around level 30...

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

dis astranagant posted:

He randomly shows up on the warden's poo poo list and since the warden's somewhere around level 30...

Oh that explains why the warden was flipping out at the time. He needs to relax, seriously.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Unormal posted:

Thanks to the help of a million people, lots of them in this very thread, Caves of Qud is now available on steam!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/333640/

Check out our trailer, with voiceover and music by goons!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqz0p_kiDIQ

Yo thread! I did the VO for the trailer and I am completely and totally out of my element in this thread (I didn't even know what a roguelike was until like two days ago when I asked unormal to explain the game to me :xd:) but I just wanted to pop in to thank everyone for the kind words about the trailer and the game! I'm really glad to see so many people enjoying it. :)

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
So I just beguiled a salthopper in CoQ. Does beguiling ever wear off (because this thing frankly scares me) and do I get any benefit from its kills other than looting the corpse?

edit well for the second question I could just watch my XP count while it kills poo poo, good job me. Looks like half XP maybe? Or full XP and I"m bad at remembering what a snapjaw brute is worth.

Benly fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 16, 2015

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
It doesnt wear off but if you cast it on another creature the two will murder each other for your affection.

edit: the mutant game i am playing just started bogging down really hard, the only notable thing i did when it started happening was buy inspiring presence while i had a beguiled creature.

Clever Spambot fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 16, 2015

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
Probably a known issue, but I psychometry'd a weird artifact before examining it and now I have the recipe for a "weird artifact" even though I now know it to be a thermal grenade.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Benly posted:

So I just beguiled a salthopper in CoQ. Does beguiling ever wear off (because this thing frankly scares me) and do I get any benefit from its kills other than looting the corpse?

edit well for the second question I could just watch my XP count while it kills poo poo, good job me. Looks like half XP maybe? Or full XP and I"m bad at remembering what a snapjaw brute is worth.

I beguiled a cool looking beetle, then it ate all the poo poo on the floor.Then I tried to beguile something else but the beetle killed it then me :(

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I might be Quding wrong, but I just got the poo poo kicked out of me by a goat, ran away, killed a warrior and ate him and then in turn got eaten by a bear.

Maybe I'll do some rebinding so I'm not so awkward!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Shoehead posted:

I might be Quding wrong, but I just got the poo poo kicked out of me by a goat, ran away, killed a warrior and ate him and then in turn got eaten by a bear.

No, that's just the food chain in action. :biotruths:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I became pyrokinetic with spontaneous combustion because it seemed funny and I burst into flames and completely immolated and died on the second screen :supaburn:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Shoehead posted:

I became pyrokinetic with spontaneous combustion because it seemed funny and I burst into flames and completely immolated and died on the second screen :supaburn:

:eng101: You can survive spontaneous combustion by pouring water over yourself!

I generally fill a few waterskins with brackish water just in case, but if you are spontaneously combustible this is not a precaution but a necessity.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It doesn't even take much water. 4 or 5 drams should put it out.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
If you aren't in a dire situation where you are at 1 hp or surrounded by enemies waiting a turn or two makes your character automatically pat out the flames as well.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ToxicFrog posted:

I generally fill a few waterskins with brackish water just in case, but if you are spontaneously combustible this is not a precaution but a necessity.

I ran towards a pond but I didn't make it

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

Water question:

I know water on it's own is like currency, what about brackish/salty/blood/any other liquids? Is there a point to collecting them?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Geokinesis posted:

Water question:

I know water on it's own is like currency, what about brackish/salty/blood/any other liquids? Is there a point to collecting them?

Magma sells for a lot!

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Somehow I survived the conveyor belts, but Golgotha's oozey center rusted my carbide equipment. And most of my armor. I trudged over a dozen eels with a named slog slip-sliding after me and found the exit with 3hp left.

Caves of Qud. :allears:

Also grats Freehold! I now own your entire catalog on Steam! I wish my internet wasn't down or I could enjoy those tasty tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

spider wisdom posted:

I trudged over a dozen eels with a named slog slip-sliding after me

Sorry about your Glotrot :(

Lilli posted:

Magma sells for a lot!

Various (non-magma/acid) liquids are also needed for the disease cures found in the Corpus Cholys book. Plus, oil is your ammunition if you're using a flamethrower.

Convalessence is from later in the game but it can be kinda handy to have on hand as well, if you have good cold resistance. It's always really cold, but it makes you regenerate fairly quickly. Nice in a narrow hallway; you can set up a chokepoint and stand in your chilly healing puddle fighting everything one at a time. The temperature decrease is quite bad if your cold resistance sucks, though.