Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The video

http://deadspin.com/floyd-mayweathe...dium=socialflow

I would not be surprised if we saw more of this tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The ESPY's discussion thread having no replies is perfect let's keep it that way.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
In "poo poo only Chicago people care about", the Bulls and Sox are moving radio broadcasts to AM 890 (huh), and supposedly the Cubs are going to the Score as a result, which...the Cubs on the Score is just loving bizarre, right?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Reports that Cowherd is leaving ESPN once his contract runs out; likely headed to FOX

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I'd put Whitlock as the front runner to fill the spot.

God help us all.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Cowherd has been a shitbag for years but now that he's an expensive shitbag, he's finally a problem. Hooray.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Cowherd has been a shitbag for years but now that he's an expensive shitbag, he's finally a problem. Hooray.

ESPN is about to give 12 hours of air time to Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith. Well, 12 additional hours.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is ESPN just dumping all their high priced talent to save money with subscribers cratering?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ElwoodCuse posted:

Shouldn't have spent so much money on the theme song

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Niwrad posted:

Is ESPN just dumping all their high priced talent to save money with subscribers cratering?

More the price of TV rights for sports leagues skyrocketing, but basically yeah.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Yeah, it's been brought up a lot recently.

Funny how Disney has all that Frozen/Avengers/pending Star Wars revenue and it's still a problem.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Vertical Lime posted:

Yeah, it's been brought up a lot recently.

Funny how Disney has all that Frozen/Avengers/pending Star Wars revenue and it's still a problem.

And Pixar

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
They''re dropping high priced talent that doesn't really help them do what they're supposed to do or who have issues with management. ESPN still makes a ton of loving money and they're getting all aboard the SlingTV/a la carte TV train which is good.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Cowherd was loving garbage and they have a bunch of people they can plug into that timeslot. Also has anyone other than maybe Dan Patrick left and then become a bigger star? No one watches Fox Sports1.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

Cowherd was loving garbage and they have a bunch of people they can plug into that timeslot. Also has anyone other than maybe Dan Patrick left and then become a bigger star? No one watches Fox Sports1.

Olbermann, but that was in a different realm.

I still like Keith, and my hope is that he just does an online show with a sort of "Essay" format where he can be self-righteous on a lot of much needed topics in sports. His take down on Pete Prisco was brilliant (it actually made me very sad too). He needs his own show though, like..literally created and maintained by him.

Cowherd is just...I don't know, not very good. It seems a lot of the people I've hated on ESPN are starting to go away making it much a more listenable/watchable channel in a lot of ways.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

Kilborn and Olbermann are probably the only other ones who became bigger stars, though it wasn't doing sports radio.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rich Eisen and Brian Kenny are the face of their respective league networks. I'd say Robin Roberts hosting Good Morning America is a step up from Sportscenter anchor, but it's also a part of the same corporate family so probably doesn't count.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cowherd is a product of a by-gone era. He's a shock-jock and nobody has cared about those for at least 10 years now.

E: I mean yeah, guys like Finebaum, Mad Dog and others are still out there but it seems like they're dwindling overall. There's likely always going to be sports talk radio out there, but it seems like people care less and less about it, especially when it's just shows aiming at the "[personality] said A Controversial Thing! I'm going to call him and give him a piece of my mind!" crowd.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 16, 2015

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Bye, Cowherd. Enjoy watching your career bleed out on FS1. Remember that you probably had it coming.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DJExile posted:

Cowherd is a product of a by-gone era. He's a shock-jock and nobody has cared about those for at least 10 years now.

E: I mean yeah, guys like Finebaum, Mad Dog and others are still out there but it seems like they're dwindling overall. There's likely always going to be sports talk radio out there, but it seems like people care less and less about it, especially when it's just shows aiming at the "[personality] said A Controversial Thing! I'm going to call him and give him a piece of my mind!" crowd.

Jim Rome, Finebaum and Mad Dog all seem kind of orignal in a lot of ways. Rome also kind of has some form of weird charm in what he does, and actually has some talent as an interviewer.

Rome also produced a following akin to Limbaugh, Stern, and Opie and Anthony. I've met people who like Rome and speak very highly in regards to listening to his program.

Cowherd? He's just unlistenable. I've not met a fan of the guy and I don't feel like he has the national following like Rome does. Also say, what you will about Rome, but he seems to have very little tolerance with his callers for the type of bullshit that Cowherd gets away with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb6ErXcGCxY

e: And Finebaum? The callers are literally half the fun for his show. That thing will survive as a result of that. He really should be thanking god for Tammy.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I can't think of a more thoroughly replaceable person in sports media than Cowherd. I feel like every AM sports station somewhere has a clone of him ready to jump in and maintain an audience against no real national competition.

Maybe the next one will be somewhat less obvious about being a useless sack of poo poo.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Can anyone come up with a good restaurant analogy for what Colin is going through?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Deathlove posted:

In "poo poo only Chicago people care about", the Bulls and Sox are moving radio broadcasts to AM 890 (huh), and supposedly the Cubs are going to the Score as a result, which...the Cubs on the Score is just loving bizarre, right?

Didn't the Cubs just go to WBBM on a seven-year deal? Is there some kind of out clause?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Groucho Marxist posted:

Can anyone come up with a good restaurant analogy for what Colin is going through?

Head chef at Chili's is getting all full of himself and going to work at Applebee's.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

Eisen has become the face of NFL TV, but that was a fairly mutual break.

But yeah, Cowherd isn't some big loss.

I'd like to see them get rid of Skip and SAS.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Let russillo be the face of ESPN imo

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Metapod posted:

Let J Hill be the face of ESPN imo

ftfy

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

Didn't the Cubs just go to WBBM on a seven-year deal? Is there some kind of out clause?

Both are owned by CBS. Makes more sense with the opening to move them from the all-news station to the sports one.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Deathlove posted:

No Cubs on WGN? First TV and now radio, what a shame.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Jamelle Hill is awful. I hate you for even considering this as a good idea.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Metapod posted:

Let Papi be the face of ESPN imo

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Ramadu posted:

Jamelle Hill is awful. I hate you for even considering this as a good idea.

she owns, sorry

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Eisen has become the face of NFL TV, but that was a fairly mutual break.

But yeah, Cowherd isn't some big loss.

I'd like to see them get rid of Skip and SAS.

This will never happen. They'll end up giving them more money so they can spout out poo poo takes all day. It hates me to say that too since I grew up with ESPN but good god unless there is a live sporting event that I want to see I don't ever watch it. I watch more NBC Sports than anything else, but that's entirely due to them carrying the EPL and F1.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I only watch ESPN for major sports events like Tim Tebow's birthday.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Papi should guest-host Sportscenter once a month. Instant Must See TV.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

DJExile posted:

That reminds me of something I read recently on Grantland about Scott Ferrall and how sports radio is moving away from that:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/scott-ferrall-sports-radio-nhl-new-york-rangers-wfan-stanley-cup-pittsburgh-penguins/

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Deathlove posted:

That can't be right. WBBM wouldn't have pried the Cubs away from WGN to only have them for a year.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

skaboomizzy posted:

I only watch ESPN for major sports events like Tim Tebow's birthday.

THE DECISION II

A three hour spectacular wherein we see Tim Tebow try to decide between a sundae and a banana split.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've listened to enough radio in my life when ESPNLA started heavily pimping a show that started before Cowherd and was on for two hours online during his show that the writing was on the wall but I actually figured they'd probably push him up to TV.