Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Nebula spells look pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I spent a couple days killing stuff in the Hallow and finally got a Rod of Discord from the chaos elementals. It's fantastic; I can just teleport from cave to cave, using spelunker potions to follow unbroken pots and chests, as well as the glow of blinkroot, shiverthorn, and various enemies that emit light.

Also I managed to get not one but two Frozen Keys, half an hour apart, just blinking around looking for ice skates in chests.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

RatHat posted:

The Nebula spells look pretty bad.
Don't you talk poo poo about my Nebula Blaze.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Geomancing posted:

I spent a couple days killing stuff in the Hallow and finally got a Rod of Discord from the chaos elementals. It's fantastic; I can just teleport from cave to cave, using spelunker potions to follow unbroken pots and chests, as well as the glow of blinkroot, shiverthorn, and various enemies that emit light.

Also I managed to get not one but two Frozen Keys, half an hour apart, just blinking around looking for ice skates in chests.

A friend picked a Rod of Discord up for the first time, not knowing what it was. He used it, laughed, made some jokingly smarmy comment about being faster then I was now, then teleported into a darkened cavern ontop of a plunger connected to explosives.

I think you know how that ended. :unsmigghh: Oh how we laughed.

VVV: http://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/ Get you to this site, friend. It only downloads a finished save, not a program. :unsmith:

Rahtas
Oct 22, 2010

RABBIT TROOP FOREVER!
Was pretty excited to get back into this after reading this thread the past couple pages about patch 1.3.
Made a new medium, expert world, seeing how I've been this game before patch 1.3. Spawn point between corruption and desert. Cool. Deserts are way harder with those dragonfly things. Finally get up to iron armor stuff, start exploring around. Find a rich little hole to explore past two deserts. Accidentally open up a wall with spider monster room thing on the other side. Die. Spend about 45 minutes walking right, hoping to get the right rng to get past two deserts to get back to my stuff. Die about a million times. Cool. Get back to my stuff a couple times, die before I can re-equip. On about attempt 200, I'm in a sucky position where to get by, I have to kill an ant lion with a copper pick ax, doing 1 damage a hit. on my 97th hit (100 hp, got a couple crits for 2 damage) ant lion dies. Game immediately crashes. Won't open back up when clicking icon and can't open steam. Super cool. restart computer, after about 5 more attempts, get back to where my body was. All my stuff is gone! Hooray!

Game can gently caress off for a while till I go through some therapy about this and can be bothered to download the character editor.

Have fun with Terarria, hope it doesn't crash and delete all your stuff! <3

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hey

don't play expert, especially with one of the dumb options to drop your stuff when you die on

thanks

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
You don't have to play on the setting where you drop your poo poo. I don't even know how people enjoy that.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Everything can be obtained on Softcore!

e: I could swear there were achievements for dying on hardcore? don't find them on steam, amending my post

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 16, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

hey

don't play expert, especially with one of the dumb options to drop your stuff when you die on

thanks

I find expert to be pretty fun. Agreed that mediumcore and hardcore aren't very fun, though.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I played hardcore and dropped all my stuff and lost it this game is bullshit :qq: :qq:

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Senor Candle posted:

You don't have to play on the setting where you drop your poo poo. I don't even know how people enjoy that.

Seriously, not even Dark Souls games are that unforgiving.

Rahtas
Oct 22, 2010

RABBIT TROOP FOREVER!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

hey

thanks

Nah, I'll do it. I like it.

I don't like the game crashing and deleting my stuff.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
How many hours have you spent working up to iron armor

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

I enjoyed mediumcore in 1.2 because having to keep backup equipment and multiple copies of important accessories so I could reach my corpse was fun to me. I also like Expert mode but there's no way I'd play both at the same time.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Medium sounds terrible.

More terrible than hardcore in fact, because at least in hardcore once you die you are finally free.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm a dirty cheater that used an inventory editor to give myself Heart and Star statues.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mediumcore on expert is totally doable if you pace yourself correctly and plan accordingly. Once you get enough material for a grappling hook and a backup one, you're basically good. Especially if you have a mirror or enough stuff to make recall potions. When you die just run to get your stuff, then wall yourself in and re-equip or recall home. If you had a full inventory, rinse and repeat till you get it all.

That said, the goblin invasion not going away over time is indeed bullshit and if there were one thing to do in a mediumcore character essentially permanently it would be that, unless you had friends who could join in to help. That basically happened to one of the guys I played with because he wasn't aware that it didn't go away.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Is there like

any way to stop invasions from happening

this is my 3rd goblin army in hardmode and i'd like to stop getting spawncamped by things I can't kill yet.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Not really. Kill goblins until it stops. Or build a better house to handle invasions.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Those Goblin summoners that show up in hardmode are really annoying.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What about hiding underground until night falls

I think that stops invasions but I'm not sure

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Acne Rain posted:

What about hiding underground until night falls

I think that stops invasions but I'm not sure

Nope. They don't stop until you kill enough of the enemies.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If you build your base away from the origin you can just ignore an invasion, at least until you are better prepared or need to end it to make something else happen.

And if you think goblin invasions are bad just wait until you get pirates.

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Keeping the American Imperialists at bay since 1948
I've always played this game in mediumcore and I can't imagine without the item loss. How would there be any tension in the game if death was meaningless?

Tyty posted:

Is there like

any way to stop invasions from happening

this is my 3rd goblin army in hardmode and i'd like to stop getting spawncamped by things I can't kill yet.

I struggled with the same problem. Buckets of lava are your best weapon against them in early game. Make shallow pools of lava and make a wooden platform that's above the pool but out of jumping range. Use a broadsword or pickaxe to deflect the mage orbs.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

YF-23 posted:

I did get pirates.

They killed all my NPCs but I could deal with them because they didn't have a speedy 2000 HP monster that can summon high-damage wall-piercing homing projectile enemies, fly through walls, and follow me to the literal end of the earth no matter where they are. It took me a day and a half but they're nowhere near as annoying as this single stupid goblin enemy they slapped onto hardmode.

I wouldn't even care if the game gave me a day without an invasion though. I can't get much base-building or mining done if I'm constantly fighting for my life at my own spawn.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Pirates are a little better simply because they do not have anyone who can move/shoot through walls. Not even their boss ship does that.
Goblin summoners are a loving pain until you can deal with them.

(^ am I forgetting a pirate? how did they kill your npcs if they can't go through walls?)

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
Having a mediumcore character is not good in a pirate invasion. After the initial death I got spawnkilled a dozen times attempting to collect back my fallen gear on my doorstep. After realizing that invasions don't stop over time I ended up holing up in a small room the pirates couldn't path to and plinking them to death with a yoyo.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

(^ am I forgetting a pirate? how did they kill your npcs if they can't go through walls?)

They opened my doors. I don't really have my base proofed against that yet, mostly because zombies couldn't get to my doors until recently to bust them open on bloodmoons.

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

YF-23 posted:

Medium sounds terrible.

More terrible than hardcore in fact, because at least in hardcore once you die you are finally free.

Myself and a buddy chose medium on expert mode and hadn't had a real problem with it until late game, though we were two people so that helped in quite a few situations where one of us got hosed. I will say though, the loving solar pillar during the lunar phases is loving bullshit and that crawltipede shitlord can go gently caress itself. Mediumcore at that stage became a big regret pretty fast. :suicide:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

*rams fingers repeatedly in a door* Can't You See That I'm The True Winner Here

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Um I kinda just beat the pillars and final boss on the first try. The Phantasm I just made helped a lot. Also the only pillar I really found challenging with the Nebula one.

EDIT: Got Lunar flare from the boss, it looks pretty awesome.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

RatHat posted:

Um I kinda just beat the pillars and final boss on the first try. The Phantasm I just made helped a lot. Also the only pillar I really found challenging with the Nebula one.

EDIT: Got Lunar flare from the boss, it looks pretty awesome.

good, now start over in expert mode

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Keeping the American Imperialists at bay since 1948
I think I might have to rethink mediumcore mode after the nightmare I went through last night though. Finally found the meteor impact at the edge of a medium map, got swarmed by a bunch of mobs that knocked me onto the meteor ore and I promptly died. This was at 1 am last night and I spent the next hour making 4 attempts to retrieve my gear with 2nd, 3rd and 4th best set of armor.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
I am of the opinion that Terraria has too much bullshit fly at you at any given time for mediumcore to have any draw.

I dread to think what kind of masochist would play hardcore.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
350 floaty gross, no vitamins :suicide:

Originally I wasn't even gonna try to get the ankh shield because it sounded awful but then I got 3/4 of the pieces without even trying so I figured hey might as well finish it, couldn't take that long right? RIGHT?!?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Azzents posted:

I am of the opinion that Terraria has too much bullshit fly at you at any given time for mediumcore to have any draw.

I dread to think what kind of masochist would play hardcore.

no, seriously, the combat in terraria is godawful. 75% of it boils down to gaming the system because if you're fighting anything more complicated than a generic enemy, such as a boss, you're going to be steamrolled without twinking yourself out and/or cheesing poo poo. why else do people get pissed when dumb exploit stuff is removed. adding in dropping poo poo on death is loving dumb.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

No Safe Word posted:

Mediumcore on expert is totally doable if you pace yourself correctly and plan accordingly. Once you get enough material for a grappling hook and a backup one, you're basically good. Especially if you have a mirror or enough stuff to make recall potions. When you die just run to get your stuff, then wall yourself in and re-equip or recall home. If you had a full inventory, rinse and repeat till you get it all.

Drop-on-death still sucks because the game isn't able to remember your loadout. Oops, I absentmindedly pressed my hotbar for Dirt but it had a Dynamite in it! Then there are dynamite traps, and lava or lava slimes for your "my items are now permanently destroyed" needs. We no longer play anything but Softcore.

YF-23 posted:

Pirate invasions are cruise, though. They hit kinda hard, but they have really basic AI and you can stop an entire army of them just standing back to back and swinging fast swords or shooting fast guns. We did it only dying once to a crossbow chick because I lost track of my cursor. It might've also had something to do with the way I build my roofs to have one tile over the edge to hang lanterns from, the ships kept getting stuck on them :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 17, 2015

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
mediumcore is cool, though the inventory management minigame in a dangerous jungle is not as fun

The White Dragon posted:

Drop-on-death still sucks because the game isn't able to remember your loadout. Oops, I absentmindedly pressed my hotbar for Dirt but it had a Dynamite in it! Then there are dynamite traps, and lava or lava slimes for your "my items are now permanently destroyed" needs.

i think in 1.1? they made almost every item blue and not destroyed by lava. i guess if you die in lava you lose ores and poo poo, that kind of sucks

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 17, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I haven't had a problem with invasions despite not having any sort of arena setup. What I've just been doing is running down into the valley I dug out and flying around like a maniac. If I drop too low I climb a rope back up too my base, heal at the nurse, and then charge back down before anything spawns up with my NPCs. Its pretty nice given I wasn't thinking about base defense at all when I set things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

350 floaty gross, no vitamins :suicide:

Originally I wasn't even gonna try to get the ankh shield because it sounded awful but then I got 3/4 of the pieces without even trying so I figured hey might as well finish it, couldn't take that long right? RIGHT?!?

Haha I think this just happened to me with the cellphone. Wasn't really planning to get it but every material started falling into my lap so I only need the fisherman's guide now to complete it, and he just won't give it to me. I don't wanna start hardmode until I get it because that gives him more rewards so it'll be even harder to get the stupid guide!

So many goddamn weather radios though.