Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Getting a 2003-2004-2005 Hard-S VVT car and turbo ing it yourself would probibly result in a better condition car for cheaper. Mazda didn't do a great job on the motor of the MSM and the way to fix that is to replace it with a bunch of aftermarket parts anyway.

Plus, not being able to hit 7000rpm would really annoy me on some level. Even if its only slightly less

Yeah, the FM full upgrade kit for example basically replaces all the MazdaSpeed components rather than technically upgrading the existing ones. It's still a fun car though.

And the redline reduction is definitely noticeable, especially since the turbo kicks in at 3500 and rockets to 6500. I was used to 7200 after driving an NA for years. It's bizarre having a low-displacement high-revving motor that doesn't actually rev high. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
THSCC is the local car club for people who actually drive their cars. They run autocrosses, HPDEs and rallycrosses.

http://thscc.com/

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Does anyone here have the roaster sport midpipe and muffler combo? I'm looking for a mean burbly sound but I also want to be able to have a conversation. Would this combo work?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

GutBomb posted:

Does anyone here have the roaster sport midpipe and muffler combo? I'm looking for a mean burbly sound but I also want to be able to have a conversation. Would this combo work?

I just bought a car with both of these on it along with the header. Its nice and burly (as burly as a 4 cyl can be I guess) without being obnoxious.

Unrelated, goons, please help me with this part number, for a bolt, I know.

Its from an NC2, from inside the trunk, it attaches a thin metal panel. (the only purpose of which I can see is covering up some wires and holding the rear antenna for the advanced keyless entry system). My local dealership was of no help. The previous owner stripped the trunk so he could get to the adjustments on the rear Koni's, I think he did a great job of finding the right setting and I'd rather have a proper trunk, and the car came with all the panels, I'm just one bolt short and I don't want to not have it for fear that it becomes a source of rattles later on.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Lotta goons buying 996s in this thread. Why not wait?

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
What brake pads do you guys suggest for an NA6? It's time to redo the fronts. Car is my daily and I don't track it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powerstop from rockauto.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Crap, I got the C-Tek metallics. Oh well, they will be fine.

How do you keep from stripping out that little brake caliper adjuster gear? One of mine was pre-stripped, and the other one worked great until it got stuck up on something and stripped about four of the splines. I ordered new ones from the dealer.

Should I use brake parts grease maybe?

Did it just get heat cycled to death? Some of the edges of the splines looked like they were starting to anneal.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 16, 2015

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Went out to my car the other day and there was a hand-written note on it with a phone number & name saying they'd buy my car as-is for cash.

It's probably a neighbor, since our neighborhood doesn't see much outside foot traffic but I didn't think the market for dinged-up automatic NBs was that bad.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Miata just went on a pretty nice diet and lost 80.4lbs.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Did you seriously do image editing in Word with spellcheck and grammar check on?

I do like the new wheels, though. Anything larger than about 16s look too big on an NA/NB.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Guinness posted:

Did you seriously do image editing in Word with spellcheck and grammar check on?

I am bad at computer...

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
Gold wheels on a silver car always seem too clashy, but I had those wheels and can't think of a better Miata option

until you double or triple the price.
http://rev9autosport.com/rs-watanabe-aluminum-b-type-14.html

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Or you could just get the Rota knockoffs and save a grand.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Went out to my car the other day and there was a hand-written note on it with a phone number & name saying they'd buy my car as-is for cash.

It's probably a neighbor, since our neighborhood doesn't see much outside foot traffic but I didn't think the market for dinged-up automatic NBs was that bad.

how much?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Chriskory posted:

Gold wheels on a silver car always seem too clashy, but I had those wheels and can't think of a better Miata option

until you double or triple the price.
http://rev9autosport.com/rs-watanabe-aluminum-b-type-14.html

Not clashy just boring. You can do literally any color with a silver car

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

leica posted:

Don't be the guy that buys knockoff fake wheels. That's like being the guy to buy a base spec BMW them sticking M sport badges all over it.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

88h88 posted:

Don't be the guy that buys knockoff fake wheels. That's like being the guy to buy a base spec BMW them sticking M sport badges all over it.

The Watanabes are knockoff fake Minilites though?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Same thing applies.

sucko
Jun 19, 2004
I am waiting for my ND Launch Edition to arrive.

It's killing me.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

leica posted:

I would happily, it's just a sizing issue. They make a 15x8 +0 but that looks silly. If they copied the 14x7 +28 RPF1 specs they'd sell out instantly.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
So, I made the happy discovery that my loaded and modded PHRT NC2 also came with a smart top module that was not documented by the dealer. Raising and lowering the roof while cruising at 15mph is the raddest.

Lets talk vibrations: The one mod I don't particularly care for in my car is the aftermarket motor mounts which are these: http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-0188s.html They are fine with the top down, but with the PRHT up, the number of dash vibrations are just way too high. (and the car has had at least 1500 miles put on these mounts, so I don't see them getting any more "broken-in")

Whats the best solution? Can I sound deaden the dash enough with dynamat? Should I switch back to the stock mounts (which I have), should I replace these harder mounts with something inbetween like these: http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-1713.html ?

My goal is to autocross 3-4 times a year, but this is my DD

I've also got a window rattle in the passenger door, but not in the driver's door. Is the best idea there to just remove the door card and poke around?

I've never owned a car where the only thing I really feel like I should do to it is wash it and wax it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Switch back to the stock mounts and then see if the passenger side door card rattle continues. If it does, you might have a broken clip from an aftermarket speaker install or general incompetence or something.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

GEMorris posted:

Whats the best solution?

Sound deadening the dash is a tall order. I would replace one motor mount with stock (start on driver side?) and test to see how much better it feels. Then you can replace the second if it's improved but you want a bit more. The quality of a couple high speed shifts in the life of the car don't outweigh a rattle at every stoplight.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Stock mounts.

Are you coming out tomorrow for autocross? I'm over by the farmers market if you want to caravan up.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Phone posted:

Stock mounts.

Are you coming out tomorrow for autocross? I'm over by the farmers market if you want to caravan up.

I have to clean out the garage so I can get both my wife's Mazda3 and my Miata in it. If anything changes I'll PM you.

Otherwise, I plan on hitting up the next Autocross after this weekend.

Thanks for the motor mount feedback folks. I'll switch back to stock and sell the 70 Deurometer mounts, they have less than 2500 miles on them so hopefully I could get $175 or so?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Do I really have to pop the bumper off to change the driver's side headlight bulbs on my NC?

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

GutBomb posted:

Do I really have to pop the bumper off to change the driver's side headlight bulbs on my NC?

No, just have tiny hands. I did it but got a bit cut up if I recall.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

howling_mad posted:

No, just have tiny hands. I did it but got a bit cut up if I recall.

Ok popping the bumper off it is.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

ethanol posted:

how much?
He didn't say and I didn't bother calling. I figured he was just going to lowball me in the hopes of getting a parts car with a brand new top.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

GutBomb posted:

Ok popping the bumper off it is.

Just find a nearby child who can do it without putting their greasy fingerprints on the bulb.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Why not just remove the front wheel on the side of the broken bulb, take off the plastic fender well and underside of the bumper, and leave the painted bit on? I've never done the headlight on a NC but remember being able to get completely inside the attached front fascia that way.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

88h88 posted:

No it's not. It's like being the guy that doesn't want to pay for the inflated value of a brand name.

If I had money to burn I'd love a set of Watanabes, until then Rotas will do just fine thankyouverymuch.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Rota are also the only ones that make aftermarket wheels in some weird bolt patterns like 4x108 for the SA22 RX7.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Why not just remove the front wheel on the side of the broken bulb, take off the plastic fender well and underside of the bumper, and leave the painted bit on? I've never done the headlight on a NC but remember being able to get completely inside the attached front fascia that way.

Is the back of the headlight housing actually visible like that our am I going to be feeling around blind in there?

Whet were you in there for? Intake?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

GutBomb posted:

Is the back of the headlight housing actually visible like that our am I going to be feeling around blind in there?

Whet were you in there for? Intake?

Yes, it's visible that way. I did the whole bumper myself because those wheel houses are such a pain in the rear end. Just don't do what the PO of mine did: half-assedly toss the bulb in there where it proceeded to melt the reflector. I fixded it and it looks like the other light, output-wise. It looked like it had a lazy eye at night.

Also, GEMorris... if you are thinking you'll ever get that car quiet, You're going to have a bad time. Top up in a ragtop seems defeaningly loud, the prht is probably better. I'll echo changing to the stock mounts and go from there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How do you keep from stripping out that little brake caliper adjuster gear? One of mine was pre-stripped, and the other one worked great until it got stuck up on something and stripped about four of the splines. I ordered new ones from the dealer.

Should I use brake parts grease maybe?

Did it just get heat cycled to death? Some of the edges of the splines looked like they were starting to anneal.

FYI I am a loving idiot and turned way too many times because I thought the piston was still extended when it was actually fully retracted. Carry on.

Brake parts grease does help though.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I tried to put my power mirrors on today. I kind of underestimated how small the hole on NA6 doors would be. I thought perhaps I could just file out the hole to the appropriate size, but what actually met me was the size of a screw hole and I only managed to make it into a bolt hole before my diamond file bit said good day sir. However the passenger side door already had the correct hole size... this door does not belong to my car. :stare: Then while I was trying to attach the passenger side mirror the screwdriver shaft lightly rubbed the paint on the mirror and tore a chunk off. That's apparently what I get for rushing the paint job. :smithicide: Project abandoned until I can work up the motivation to sand the mirrors back down again.

Oh well, pay day is coming soon and I've got my eyes on a cheap hardtop. (Sub $200, god bless you glorious nippon :japan:) Forget color matching paint, I'm gonna plastidip it matt black and call it a soft top effect. :colbert:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 18, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Plastidip is the worst. Don't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I recommend the wheel well a second time because i try not to remove and re-attach painted panels if i can avoid it. They can get scratched or damaged, a weird clip might go missing, maybe they dont go back together quite right especially on these newfangled "Drop the engine to wax the car" automobiles.

Gutbomb there is plenty of room but even if you need to feel for it this is an easy job. Just twist and pull.