Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mario: Uh, Peach? I was a-wondering about that cake...
Peach: You STOLE thousands of gold coins! You bumped into our paintings, which now have to be washed and restored so you get NOTHING! You LOSE! Good DAY, sir!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I take back what I said, memes are loving stupid and it's ok to hate them

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FactsAreUseless posted:

You hate women.

not even gonna dignify with a response smh

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I take back what I said, memes are loving stupid and it's ok to hate them
Wow... this guy love memes! This guy loves memes like the four birds meme and the new kind of bagel meme.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Me: Do you know any good memes?

CJacobs: Yeah, I love all of the good memes, such as the baseball shortstop meme, the seven glorious memes, the strange giraffe meme, and the uncertain beetle meme.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

A meme is a joke that gets run into the ground.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ekster posted:

A meme is a joke that gets run into the ground.
I think it's unfair to call your mom a meme, she wasn't really "run into the ground," she just fell off the bed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
hot button topic: meem or me me? i prefer the latter because i'm different and like to assert my social uniqueness min these provocative and changing times

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'd go with mems, but I don't say the word aloud

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Why do people on SomethingAwful, a website whose main distinguishing feature when most of the posters in this thread registered was the fact that it literally banned memes in the name of keeping the riff-raff out, not appreciate the sick anachronistic internet memes this Mexican wrestling game drops constantly.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Bicyclops posted:

Mario: Uh, Peach? I was a-wondering about that cake...
Peach: You STOLE thousands of gold coins! You bumped into our paintings, which now have to be washed and restored so you get NOTHING! You LOSE! Good DAY, sir!

i like this meme

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

Well that's pretty damning, maybe I'll give that one a pass after all :(

I haven't finished Axiom Verge, and it has its annoying points (the ones pointed out, though I find them quite a bit less damning) but mainly its having to google what the gently caress to do next instead of having the process of finding it be fun. I mean, for being made by one guy.

I still think its cool as poo poo, and the music that dude made is god drat good. I also feel like it oozes a very dark atmosphere, and the music complements this very well. It does some stuff mechanically i found really refreshing, particularly compared to most indie 2d platformers.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 17, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh yeah google is a thing huh :v:

Wait Axiom Verge was by one guy? Like... all of it? God drat.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I mean drat dude, I don't even like retro-styled stuff or chiptunes or any of that. His poo poo bangs, I love cranking the bass before starting Axiom.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 17, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Axiom Verge is odd in that you can get like 15 weapons but after the 3rd or 4th one, numerous weapons can kill everything on the screen pretty quickly making it pointless.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
WHAT KIND OF BEER DO YOU LIKE

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jon Do posted:

I mean drat dude, I don't even like retro-styled stuff or chiptunes or any of that. His poo poo bangs, I love cranking the bass before starting Axiom.

ooook guess i'm gonna have to play guacamelee after Axiom Verge because I am a sucker for good music. I can always google away the bullshit pixel hunts, as was said

(unless guacamelee has good music as well)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

gently caress you i'll change my mind as many times as i want, dad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

most of the music in AV is good. that one song with the vocal though is very bad and annoying in a tough area you spend a lot of time in. the sound effects ruin all the music though. gently caress that low health noise and the sound of some of those guns/enemies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Playing Fallout 2 makes me wish we could get the Shadowrun Returns team to work on an old-style fallout game. The UI improvements would make up for a lot of the clunkiness. VATS just ain't as fun as turn based.

E: Also this stuff looks way cooler to me than gibbing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjbaWD-Aj6Y

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

axiom verge is all about using the right thing on the right pixel which may or may not be visually distinct from the background. its also all about bad boss fights and saving all the movement upgrades that make the game less tedious to play for the final act

definitely one of the more overhyped games this year.
and here I thought I was being a hater for being skeptical about the most boring looking 2D platformer since Aero the Acro-Bat

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Not Paul Robertson

https://vimeo.com/132141598

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm just looking at the backgrounds the entire time because they're so much better-drawn than the little dudes.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

I used to kind of hate Paul Robertson but now that he's willing to put his animation skills to work for people who can actually write stories and make characters I like him a lot more.

The episode of Gravity Falls where one of the characters falls in love with an evil sentient Japanese dating sim was amazing and he did all of the sprite animation for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqef_yF-VAI

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

precision posted:

WHAT KIND OF BEER DO YOU LIKE

H-Heineken?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
PT/Silent Hills may be gone but we'll always have atmospheric indie horror games set in large houses - with better graphics too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__i_LoRKhJ0

Sleeveless posted:

I used to kind of hate Paul Robertson but now that he's willing to put his animation skills to work for people who can actually write stories and make characters I like him a lot more.

The episode of Gravity Falls where one of the characters falls in love with an evil sentient Japanese dating sim was amazing and he did all of the sprite animation for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqef_yF-VAI
Didn't he also do the Street Fighter character?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHm_TuS-KQU

But yeah, Paul Robertson doing animation for Gravity Falls has worked out better than the games he's done spritework for - Scott Pilgrim and Mercenary Kings.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Cardboard Box A posted:

Didn't he also do the Street Fighter character?

Yes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Guacamelee so far feels less like a metroidvania and more like a brawler with the odd hidden collectible

Which I guess is okay but it's not what I expected really, or was shooting for with catching up on metroid-likes :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Guacamelee's incorporation of the Metroid mechanics is different than how Metroid itself does it. In Metroid, you see an obstacle that you need an item you don't have to pass, so you come back later when you have that object and open up a new route to progress on the interconnected map. Guacamelee simplifies it so that the obstacles don't often lead to entirely new routes, just short paths that lead to extra collectibles or fights/platforming that utilizes the move you used to open up the path. The only time they really use unlockable moves for progress is just after you get the new move in question, at which point you have to use it to get back out of the area you got it in and proceed onward.

So that's cool I guess.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I never beat RE4 because Leon got Decapitated and somehow became unkillable and didn't die which bugged out the game and made it impossible to beat.

I think I want to be RE Zero before I beat 4 though. I've never beaten RE Zero, 4, 5 and 6.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

5 has a funny ending where you punch a boulder in a volcano

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Please do not even install 6 or if you have it on disc put it in the disc drive on your console. It's not even the funny kind of bad, it's just bad. And that's coming from someone who loves practically every game in the series including the black sheep.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Taint Reaper posted:

I never beat RE4 because Leon got Decapitated and somehow became unkillable and didn't die which bugged out the game and made it impossible to beat.

I think I want to be RE Zero before I beat 4 though. I've never beaten RE Zero, 4, 5 and 6.

The only way to truly beat RE0 is to never play it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd rather play 6 a million times over than 0 once.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Sakurazuka posted:

The only way to truly beat RE0 is to never play it.

I think I'm like almost to the end of disc one. There's a whole load of backtracking.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'm halfway through replaying Metal Gear Solid. I don't know if love really can bloom on the battlefield yet, but I think Master Miller might be able to tell me the answer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I swear Capcom was trolling people with that game. 'Look you can drop items anywhere now!' *takes out item boxes*

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The only two old-school Resident Evils I've played are 1 and 2, and I only really liked 2 at all. I should play through Resident Evil 2 and REmake one of these days.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The Colonel posted:

The only two old-school Resident Evils I've played are 1 and 2, and I only really liked 2 at all. I should play through Resident Evil 2 and REmake one of these days.

Remake is the same as Resident Evil 1. It just doesn't look like rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's essentially the same but has a bunch of extra areas and modes, rejigs events significantly and changes the aiming system to not be completely terrible. The HD version also has an option for non-tank controls.

• Locked thread