Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

What government are you?

Constitutional Monarchy

Also loving Western HRE, still a jumbled mess so when I'm itching to declare war on France, I can't sort out a path to even get to them. It's called nationalism for a reason- make a nation or get off the field!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
loving hell. I think this is my last ironman game in a while...

I grabbed some Moroccan land, and because even the Ottomans sometimes run low on admin points I decided to turn it into a client state. I basically wanted to get rid of Gharb and everything south of it, so I started out by making Gharb a client state. At which point I couldn't add the other provinces to them, because for some arcane reason you can only do that when both you and the client state has a direct land connection to the province. Apparently Gharb being my client state breaks the land connection between Tangiers and Dukkala...

Had I started from the south and worked my way up, it would have been fine. If I had grabbed more land from Morocco, it would have been fine. If I had quit the game before it had time to autosave, it would have been fine. I did none of those things, so I'm hosed. At least the provinces count as colonies now, so I can core them cheaply. I'm left with a loving useless client state until my truce with Morocco runs out though.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Got Basileus. I'm surprised at how many missions and decisions the Byzantines get. Take the coast of Alexandria! Take Tripoli! Take the coast of Tunis, ancient enemy of Rome! Take Rome! Take Northern Italy! Take Istria! Take Sardinia! Take the southern coast of Hispania! Triumph for the Balkans! Triumph for Asia Minor! Triumph for Anatolia! Triumph for Italy! :ssj:

Goodness gracious. This was the only time I wish the game's timeline went on longer, just so I could see how many missions Byzantium got. I was about to finish up Take Northern Italy until I got a regency and, well, that was the end of that game. I had to take so many loving loans building up a fleet to survive the beginning of the game that I got about 30% inflation. I made economic my first idea group, thinking the inflation reduction would be nice, and I'd be back to zero inflation in no time. Wrong. In 1821, after taking every Master of Mint, and having the inflation reduction idea the entire game, I was only down to 10% inflation.

Someone pick an achievement or two for me to work towards next: http://steamcommunity.com/id/fatass9000/stats/appid/236850/achievements

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Node posted:

Got Basileus. I'm surprised at how many missions and decisions the Byzantines get. Take the coast of Alexandria! Take Tripoli! Take the coast of Tunis, ancient enemy of Rome! Take Rome! Take Northern Italy! Take Istria! Take Sardinia! Take the southern coast of Hispania! Triumph for the Balkans! Triumph for Asia Minor! Triumph for Anatolia! Triumph for Italy! :ssj:

Goodness gracious. This was the only time I wish the game's timeline went on longer, just so I could see how many missions Byzantium got. I was about to finish up Take Northern Italy until I got a regency and, well, that was the end of that game. I had to take so many loving loans building up a fleet to survive the beginning of the game that I got about 30% inflation. I made economic my first idea group, thinking the inflation reduction would be nice, and I'd be back to zero inflation in no time. Wrong. In 1821, after taking every Master of Mint, and having the inflation reduction idea the entire game, I was only down to 10% inflation.

Someone pick an achievement or two for me to work towards next: http://steamcommunity.com/id/fatass9000/stats/appid/236850/achievements

Black Jack seems like a fun one to try for. Looks like it requires either a lot of colonization or a lot of HRE love (or both).

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Apoffys posted:

I grabbed some Moroccan land, and because even the Ottomans sometimes run low on admin points I decided to turn it into a client state. I basically wanted to get rid of Gharb and everything south of it, so I started out by making Gharb a client state. At which point I couldn't add the other provinces to them, because for some arcane reason you can only do that when both you and the client state has a direct land connection to the province. Apparently Gharb being my client state breaks the land connection between Tangiers and Dukkala...

Had I started from the south and worked my way up, it would have been fine. If I had grabbed more land from Morocco, it would have been fine. If I had quit the game before it had time to autosave, it would have been fine. I did none of those things, so I'm hosed. At least the provinces count as colonies now, so I can core them cheaply. I'm left with a loving useless client state until my truce with Morocco runs out though.

Can't you still sell it to them like selling a province to a regular vassal?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Apoffys posted:

That's one of those continental quirks. You're only supposed to be able to create Client States on your home continent, in your case Europe. So you should never have been allowed to create that client state in the first place, except that land directly connected to your capital through land provinces still counts as 'on continent', so that it's not counted as distant overseas. But once you break that connection...

But yeah, just sell them if it'll let you (and I don't know why it wouldn't), or conquer some more Moroccan provinces and get connected again, and then give it away in the right order.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Hryme posted:

I think they changed that. I seem to remember taking trade in one of my beta patch games and it had no effect on my naval force limits.

Yeah, you don't get a bump from merchants anymore that I can see. However, you do get a +10 to your naval force limits PLUS a merchant for any colonial nation with at least 10 provinces. It's 1750 and as commonwealth I am madly conquering independent colonial nations.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The diplomatic "you're too far away" penalty is way to much for a game where wars are so global that Indonesia is invading Brittany due to Imperialism wars in 1700. I had a Malaysian tribe reject my protectorate offer because I was too far away, despite having colonized all of the Philippines. I guess as I write this maybe because I gave those provinces to my trade company?

Still it's even sillier when the Thirteen Colonies are at 100% independence and they refuse my offer of support because I'm too far away. After all, why would American colonies want European support for independence? :shrek:

Alst
Aug 9, 2007
s
Finally got Big Blue Blob. It only took about 10+ attempts with a few regencies and generally getting destroyed by coalitions. I also only had burgundy split one time in all my attempts, when it happened it made the achievement much easier, but my king and heir died around 1480.

Didn't take a screenshot of 1500 but I got the last core around January 1499.

I'm going to do Better than Napoleon now but anything else I should try for?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: ^^^ are you going to go for "Better Than Napoleon" with that save?

PittTheElder posted:

But yeah, just sell them if it'll let you (and I don't know why it wouldn't), or conquer some more Moroccan provinces and get connected again, and then give it away in the right order.
You lose 10 prestige when you sell provinces now so it could get painful to sell a lot. I'm not sure when they made that change but it definitely changed my willingness to sell poo poo to vassals or whatever willy-nilly.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

sloshmonger posted:

Black Jack seems like a fun one to try for. Looks like it requires either a lot of colonization or a lot of HRE love (or both).

Maybe I am misreading the achievement but that one seems really easy, just make 21 client-states.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Node posted:

Maybe I am misreading the achievement but that one seems really easy, just make 21 client-states.

There's a limit of 10 client states per nation but if you're big enough you should be able to find some shithole subjects you can release to get you to 21.

It's 1722 and I just got the notification that I can westernise in my superpersia game, is there any point to doing it?

Gitro
May 29, 2013

sloshmonger posted:

Blobbing through central Asia is enough to get quite a few 5+ province vassals releasable, especially with some judicious vassal feeding and diploannexing. Revoke the privilegia will get you easily 10 vassals worrthy of the cheevo, too. I got it as the commonwealth-> HRE, really it's not hard at all if you get huge then release a ton of vassals once you're done with the campaign.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

BBJoey posted:

There's a limit of 10 client states per nation but if you're big enough you should be able to find some shithole subjects you can release to get you to 21.

It's 1722 and I just got the notification that I can westernise in my superpersia game, is there any point to doing it?

Probably not that late, I would guess that it's optimal to rush for Genoa's provinces in Crimea and then intentionally fall behind in tech to westernise early but that sounds loving boring.

Beating up the Timurids and turning them into a nice happy vassal family is so much fun :3:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Wuet88 posted:

Finally got Big Blue Blob. It only took about 10+ attempts with a few regencies and generally getting destroyed by coalitions. I also only had burgundy split one time in all my attempts, when it happened it made the achievement much easier, but my king and heir died around 1480.

Didn't take a screenshot of 1500 but I got the last core around January 1499.

One of the keys for it is to use the economic map and just go for the cheapest land you can find. I see you did that too.

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005
So why can the AI demand provinces it doesn't have cores on in a coalition war but the player can't?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Wuet88 posted:

A world conquest? Seems like you're in a good position to go for it :v:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
It is bothersome that if a western nation fully annexes a non-western one and then releases it as a vassal, it comes out as a protectorate instead.

I fully ate Japan as Russia, converted everything, and then released it because of the overseas autonomy. It came out with the same tech levels as me, same government type, proper religion, but still in the Chinese tech group. Really annoying 'cause it's Ironman but I guess I already got the achievement. I wanted to have it as a nice March on my eastern frontier.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

California, when I released you from being a colony I did it because it was the chill thing to do. You declaring war on Portugal and dragging me in is the opposite of chill...

also- do released colonies ever seek out the own allies? I've tagged over to mine a few times and they never have their diplomats working on anything.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Hahaha, France snuck around south america and landed troops on my western border.

They were outnumbered about 3 to one and smashed me. They have 2 more morale than I do, and I can't even use superior reinforce speeds to wear them down because they have a five manoeuvre leader. There is almost literally no way I can get a 20 stack of French troops out of my country. This is great.

Time to hire all the mercs I guess.

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

California, when I released you from being a colony I did it because it was the chill thing to do. You declaring war on Portugal and dragging me in is the opposite of chill...

also- do released colonies ever seek out the own allies? I've tagged over to mine a few times and they never have their diplomats working on anything.

In keeping with this game's strict attention to historical accuracy, colonial nations have no desire to seek legitimacy, recognition, or approval from overseas western powers. The nearby independent states also become their only possible candidates for rivals,, as two nations that fought long bloody wars for independence from an overseas overlord have nothing in common to break bread over.

So as the Byzantines is there actually anything you can do about the "court factions influence ruler" bullshit or do you just hemorrhage random MP for no reason every 5 seconds?

Contrecoup fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 17, 2015

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
What's better for a naval orientated country; Naval or Maritime ideas? I presume both are useful, but i am wondering what one to pick first.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Chipp Zanuff posted:

What's better for a naval orientated country; Naval or Maritime ideas? I presume both are useful, but i am wondering what one to pick first.

Neither, they both suck.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Which one has the bigger forcelimits boost? In my experience you succeed at naval combat by 1) getting rich then 2) building as many heavies as you can. The finisher for Maritime is handy I guess, so if those are your only good options go maritime.

Had a quick look on the wiki and naval looks like dogshit comparatively, tbh. maritime has a 50% forcelimits boost (bigger trade fleet, more heavies), light ship combat which isn't great but it beats galley combat, faster repair, so your ships can be out blockading and fighting sooner, blockade efficiency so you can commit fewer ships to the same blockade, coastal repair, for never docking ever, and Leader manoeuvre, which is the best admiral stat.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Maritime, because Naval sucks as military idea, get Quality instead for some boat bonuses in a group that's decent

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Playing a Portugal game with the intent of colonizing just Brazil and then rushing Africa and Asia. I took the usual trio of Exploration->Expansion->Quantity, and then Economics because I found four gold provinces in South Africa. I'm not really sure what idea group to go for next. I can't take an administrative idea, so religious, humanism, and administrative are out. I thought I'd need trade but trade companies are giving me plenty of merchants. Maritime making my trade fleets less fragile seems good. if I go the military route I'm not really sure which of Quality, Offensive, and Defensive to go for.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

TTBF posted:

Playing a Portugal game with the intent of colonizing just Brazil and then rushing Africa and Asia. I took the usual trio of Exploration->Expansion->Quantity, and then Economics because I found four gold provinces in South Africa. I'm not really sure what idea group to go for next. I can't take an administrative idea, so religious, humanism, and administrative are out. I thought I'd need trade but trade companies are giving me plenty of merchants. Maritime making my trade fleets less fragile seems good. if I go the military route I'm not really sure which of Quality, Offensive, and Defensive to go for.

Since you already took econ, offensive/quality are both good choices for the military bonus policies that will give your armies an edge.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What exactly do I need to sail into uncharted waters?

I got Quest for the New World idea, trade tech lvl 9, Ive put an explorer into a caravel and I still cant move into unknow sea regions.

Also, is there any kind of guide to learn how to make trade effective? Because I suck so much at this. Ive got 4 merchants, Ive got trade posts on several trade centers, Ive got a high trade efficiency, colonies in Malacca. And still I only make around 2 gold from trading.

My merchants seems to be placed in the most efficient manner (Ive tried several combinations), I already got boats over my force limit protecting my trade. I dont know what else to do.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

I got Quest for the New World idea, trade tech lvl 9, Ive put an explorer into a caravel and I still cant move into unknow sea regions.

Also, is there any kind of guide to learn how to make trade effective? Because I suck so much at this. Ive got 4 merchants, Ive got trade posts on several trade centers, Ive got a high trade efficiency, colonies in Malacca. And still I only make around 2 gold from trading.

My merchants seems to be placed in the most efficient manner (Ive tried several combinations), I already got boats over my force limit protecting my trade. I dont know what else to do.

Attach your explorer to a small fleet (3 light ships usually) and then select the fleet. There will be a button beneath the patrol and protect trade buttons that explores. It'll open a list of areas the explorer can auto-explore. Once they auto-explore they reveal the hidden parts of the map and can sail there directly.

Note that a conquistador doesn't need to randomly explore. They can just be manually moved from province to province.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Elias_Maluco posted:

You can't just sail in there now. Make fleet with at least 3 light ships with explorer in command, hit the explore button and pick area it'll uncover and it'll do so automatically. You also get naval tradition for every uncovered area.

How high is your percentage control in node where you collect? Do you actually steer the trade all the way to there? Having trade power somewhere in the world means nothing if you can't steer it to a node where you collect, and collecting in a node where you have 10% control is also a waste, you're making other people rich instead.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Also requires that unexplored areas exist within your colonial range, a requirement which isn't indicated anywhere in game as I recall.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Anyone else notice their conquistadors set to '7 cities' just... stopping? Occasionally I'll notice they stop moving, despite nearby, pathable unexplored provinces. Clicking the 7 cities button does nothing. Usually if I manually move them to another, nearby province and push the button again, they'll start exploring again. Seemed like it only started happening once the Americas were ~80(?) explored or so.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Pyromancer posted:

How high is your percentage control in node where you collect? Do you actually steer the trade all the way to there? Having trade power somewhere in the world means nothing if you can't steer it to a node where you collect, and collecting in a node where you have 10% control is also a waste, you're making other people rich instead.

If I understand it correctly, you have one node you are default collecting in based on a province marked as the center of trade in your country, right? So sometimes moving that around (if your provinces straddle more than one trading zone) can help. For example if you started as Scotland you'll default to collecting in the North Sea node. If you conquer the rest of England, it probably makes sense to move your center of trade to the English Channel since it's an end-node and collects a ton of cash.

After that you can send a merchant to other nodes to also collect from there, but I believe they're operating at much lower efficiency/power than your country actually "being there". I suspect you're usually best off with the following rules

-Early on, set your merchants to steer trade from the richest nodes towards your home node
-I don't believe it's very useful to have a merchant in your home node- they'll add a bit to what you collect, but it's probably not much.
-Unless you have a ton of trade ideas/bonuses, you're probably going to never want to steer from more than 2 nodes up the chain. Either that series of nodes is too poor for anyone to care about, or you're going to be getting more and more cash stripped off at each stopping point
-When you're looking to expand your borders, open up the trade map and look for provinces with the little 'center of trade' icons. Your base power in a node is based off the trading power of all the provinces you own in that trade region- and those centers are usually worth 3-5 times a normal province in trade power.
-So once you're sending from the richest nodes 1 upstream from your home node, then the choice becomes to you keep steering towards your home or send the merchant to pull some money off a fatter node outside of your range. So again if you're playing Scotland- the North Sea node is pretty dead. I don't think you'll ever get much out of the White Sea, so you're just left with trying to drive trade from the St. Lawrence if you can. So it's probably best to send your merchant to the English Channel and just soak up what you can get. It won't be much, but you'll get a small slice of a big pie instead of getting to keep the entirety of an empty plate.
-There's no real way to steer trade upstream

edit- some things I know I don't know:

-I don't know if "protecting trade" fleets have a diminishing return. I assume they do and usually keep those fleets at about 8-10 light ships a node. But I could easily be above or below that figure
-I honestly don't know how to estimate the marginal power a merchant adds to your total power in a node

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 17, 2015

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Contrecoup posted:

In keeping with this game's strict attention to historical accuracy, colonial nations have no desire to seek legitimacy, recognition, or approval from overseas western powers. The nearby independent states also become their only possible candidates for rivals,, as two nations that fought long bloody wars for independence from an overseas overlord have nothing in common to break bread over.

So as the Byzantines is there actually anything you can do about the "court factions influence ruler" bullshit or do you just hemorrhage random MP for no reason every 5 seconds?

Ask Mexico about how breaking bread over being Independence buddies went

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

PrinceRandom posted:

Ask Mexico about how breaking bread over being Independence buddies went

True. While released colonies shouldn't necessarily be buddying up to each other- they probably shouldn't be playing like normal European minors AIs either. The return for Paradox is probably pretty marginal to improve/change this- but ideally they would be more about vertical growth (since once they're an established colony you couldn't upgrade their provinces) and finding a diverse array of overseas clients w/o getting into alliances.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
So generally speaking, it seems that all Military Idea groups are now useful. I guess Offensive is still the top dog in most cases (If only because sieges are such a big deal now), but Defensive/Quantity/Aristocracy are all quite useful too. Naval might be the one black sheep left outside.

Also, Ming is goddamn nasty all of a sudden. Getting those "Establish a trade post in China" objectives was usually a breeze; a 20-stack of western troops was easily able to beat a 70-stack of Ming units. Now it seems the unify much faster and remain within competitive tech levels.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Since you already took econ, offensive/quality are both good choices for the military bonus policies that will give your armies an edge.

Sounds good. I'll go offensive to deal with the African and Asian countries faster, and then quality for when I get involved in a rare European war. For some reason my allies rarely call me into a war unless they somehow end up going against Spain.

Fintilgin posted:

Anyone else notice their conquistadors set to '7 cities' just... stopping? Occasionally I'll notice they stop moving, despite nearby, pathable unexplored provinces. Clicking the 7 cities button does nothing. Usually if I manually move them to another, nearby province and push the button again, they'll start exploring again. Seemed like it only started happening once the Americas were ~80(?) explored or so.

Same thing's been happening to me. They'll sometimes also be exiled for reasons I can't understand. The thing I've noticed is when they stop moving they're usually in a nation's territory and not in the unoccupied provinces.

-There's no real way to steer trade upstream

I believe someone's mentioned that privateers do that, but I haven't messed around with them often enough to confirm it. My impression is that they just make a huge black hole as a gently caress you to the countries trading there.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 17, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Sephyr posted:

So generally speaking, it seems that all Military Idea groups are now useful. I guess Offensive is still the top dog in most cases (If only because sieges are such a big deal now), but Defensive/Quantity/Aristocracy are all quite useful too. Naval might be the one black sheep left outside.

Offensive Defensive Quantity and Quality are all great right now, I'd say they're roughly equal in strength just depends on your situation. Aristocratic is good in the current live patch because it has +1 Diplomat and leader slot, quality of life stuff that was lost with unique buildings in CS. But the beta patch gives you a diplomat at King rank and a leader at Emperor so imo it will go back to being a bit of a niche pick after the patch.

Personally I usually take Defensive or Quantity first, but that's part playstyle

Edit: the way I think of it is Defensive and Quantity give you more staying power and longevity in lengthy, spread out, or high attrition wars. Offensive and Quality give you more straight up battle power but if you don't have the manpower (and/or money for mercs) you won't last long. I like the latter two once I'm a decent size.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 17, 2015

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

TTBF posted:

I believe someone's mentioned that privateers do that, but I haven't messed around with them often enough to confirm it. My impression is that they just make a huge black hole as a gently caress you to the countries trading there.

They don't transfer trade upstream. Instead, they collect trade as a separate "nation" and then you get 40% of it as Spoils of War (or a fraction of 40%, if you're not the only one pirating). However, privateers can be used in trade nodes you can't steer from, so if you're Castile you can privateer the Chesapeake Bay and get a little bit of money that way, where you couldn't get any of it by transferring trade (since it doesn't transfer anywhere that transfers to Sevilla).

-I don't know if "protecting trade" fleets have a diminishing return. I assume they do and usually keep those fleets at about 8-10 light ships a node. But I could easily be above or below that figure

Each marginal light ship adds the same amount of trade power, but as the total trade power in a node grows, you get less advantage from adding more trade power yourself. Let's say there's a node with 100 trade power (and 20 trade value) and you have 50 TP, giving you 50% of the node (and 10 ducats). You put 5 barques there, netting you another 15 TP. Now you have 65/115 TP in the node, or 56.5% of the node (11.3 ducats). Another 5 barques gives you 80/130 TP, or 61.5% of the node (12.3 ducats). Your first 5 barques got you an extra 1.3g, and your second 5 barques got you an extra 1g. Another 5 barques (15 in total) gives you 95/145 TP (65.5% of the node) and 13.1 ducats - you only made 0.8 ducats from adding those marginal ships. Eventually the maintenance of the ships added is more than the extra ducats you make, but long before that you hit a point where either (a) the time-to-payoff of the boats rises so high as to be pointless[1] or (b) protecting trade in another node offers better bang for the buck.

Obviously, differences in trade efficiency or other modifiers will change these numbers slightly, but the general point remains.

[1] - Each barque is 20 ducats, so each 5 barque fleet costs 100 ducats (assuming no inflation, docks, whatever). Your first 5 barques make you 1.3 ducats per month, so they take 77 months (6.5 years) to replace the 100 ducats you spent. Your next 5 barques only make an extra 1 ducat/month, so it takes 100 months (8.33) years to pay them off. And that's ignoring maintenance - I can't find maintenance numbers, but the correct formula is [fleet cost]/([monthly trade income]-[fleet maintenance]). The same math applies to buildings - a 100 ducat temple that brings in 0.2 ducats/month doesn't break even for almost 42 years (500 months).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Offensive Defensive Quantity and Quality are all great right now, I'd say they're roughly equal in strength just depends on your situation. Aristocratic is good in the current live patch because it has +1 Diplomat and leader slot, quality of life stuff that was lost with unique buildings in CS. But the beta patch gives you a diplomat at King rank and a leader at Emperor so imo it will go back to being a bit of a niche pick after the patch.

Personally I usually take Defensive or Quantity first, but that's part playstyle

Edit: the way I think of it is Defensive and Quantity give you more staying power and longevity in lengthy, spread out, or high attrition wars. Offensive and Quality give you more straight up battle power but if you don't have the manpower (and/or money for mercs) you won't last long. I like the latter two once I'm a decent size.

Morale is really not talked about as much as Space Marine Sweden 125% discipline troops but I think most of the losses I take are because I stacked on other modifiers and sort of lost track of morale, so I've started really valuing Defensive lately. Plus in addition to its amazing +1 army trad idea it also has an idea that makes forts cheaper, which if you think about it is really another army tradition buff since more forts = more tradition. The land attrition bonus is especially nice now that forts regularly require a ridiculous amount of troops - I haven't run the math but I have to think that it's saving me a lot of troops.

• Locked thread