Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah basically. If you have 50,000 superkicks and flippydoos in the opener, nothing else will look that cool.

Nothing else would have anyway, given Bischoff's tendency to fill the main event with old guys who can't/won't do anything in the ring anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah basically. If you have 50,000 superkicks and flippydoos in the opener, nothing else will look that cool. Not that this excuses Bischoff from burying everyone outside the main event.

But NJPW starts most cards with a Young Bucks match so clearly this isn't true.

If you're a big enough main event star, it doesn't really matter what comes before you because people will be stoked to see your match. Austin vs Rock at Mania X7 is considered a classic match, and they followed a TLC match earlier in the card.

Obviously a mediocre main event would have trouble following a show stealing opener, but if that's the case maybe you should book better main events rather than hamstringing a man who just wants to jump off chairs and throw himself through tables

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Swagger Dagger posted:

Isn't that how a lot of basic booking works? If the main event is going to be some hardcore clusterfuck, you don't want people down the card also putting people through tables because it won't be as good the second time.

This has never stopped TNA, even under Eric Bischoff (and many other promotions) in the past

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

I can vividly remember Sabu going through tables in like the first hour of Nitro back in the day.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Burt Buckle posted:

I can vividly remember Sabu going through tables in like the first hour of Nitro back in the day.

As I recall he got fired from WCW pretty quick because they told him he couldn't do that stuff anymore and he balked and did it anyways

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The story goes that he was told he couldn't do it in his matches, so he started doing it post match.

I think they had also just brought in Public Enemy as well and so they wanted to protect the table stuff for matches involving them. I seem to recall it was a contributing factor to sabu being shown the door, but not the only one.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Asking Sabu not to table is like asking Brock Lesnar to not destroy

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I need a decent well-worked 12 minute match with no gimmicks or spectacle as to not outshine my main event. I think I'll call Sabu.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm no Bischoff fan but he was pretty active with some guys you wouldn't expect him to give a poo poo about in TNA and it's not like you can lay the blame for Sabu being on the roster at his feet. That and Sabu is notoriously difficult to work with.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

I'm no Bischoff fan but he was pretty active with some guys you wouldn't expect him to give a poo poo about in TNA and it's not like you can lay the blame for Sabu being on the roster at his feet. That and Sabu is notoriously difficult to work with.

I don't disagree with Sabu being a pain in the rear end, but I agree with the earlier post: At this point, everybody who books Sabu KNOWS what he does. If you don't want him to wrestle like he always does, maybe don't book him?

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I think a couple of people have mentioned this in the Tuesday Nitro chat but I really wish DDP just kept fighting Hogan with a different celebrity at his side on every PPV into perpetuity.

Also I think it was a pretty big slide from Karl Malone to Jay Leno at the next show. Not that Leno didn't try (and his match was actually much much better than the BatB main, and roughly 18 million times better than you would expect "Jay Leno main event wrestling match" to be) but Malone looked amazing considering his level of experience (none). Especially compared to Rodman, who showed up at BatB in Jeff-Hardy-at-Victory-Road condition.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

triplexpac posted:

But NJPW starts most cards with a Young Bucks match so clearly this isn't true.

On the other hand Extreme Rules is always horrible because you have poo poo like a STAIRS MATCH or 43 ladder matches before the main event which is a STAIRS LADDER match

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Marquis de Pyro posted:

On the other hand Extreme Rules is always horrible because you have poo poo like a STAIRS MATCH or 43 ladder matches before the main event which is a STAIRS LADDER match

It wouldn't be a problem if the main eventers on the card are worth a poo poo.

2012 was headlined by Cena vs Lesnar and people were very into that match, even though there was a street fight, a tables match and a falls count anywhere match on the card.

Edit: VVV that too

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 17, 2015

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Extreme Rules is always a good show though

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

oatgan posted:

Extreme Rules is always a good show though

For some reason I said extreme rules when I meant TLC, which is actually the show that is all awful gimmick matches

Extreme Rules actually has normal matches or at least stuff like Last Man Standing/Steel Cage as opposed to Tables, Tables, and Tables

edit: although I had to look it up because I had this confused and the last extreme rules sucked too, it was the one with the loving chain match and the lovely Rollins/Orton cage match

I must have a Daniel Bryan level of concussions that I can't remember this far back

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Extreme Rules works because they know when to dial it down or ramp things up depending on the story. Last year's show had Shield/Evolution in a regular trios match with no stipulations, but we still saw plenty of "extreme" stuff like Rollins' balcony dive and Ambrose running across the announce desks. Meanwhile Bryan/Kane was a silly Attitude Era spotfest with forklifts and flaming tables, but it fit with the B-horror movie angle. There's a nice balance across the card.

TLC and Hell in a Cell are just gimmicks for the sake of gimmicks. Nobody gets a HIAC match booked in October because it fits the story or feud, it just happens because "welp we got HIAC this month, why not."

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the Stairs match justified the existence of Tables and Ladders and Chairs and Stairs

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

oatgan posted:

the Stairs match justified the existence of Tables and Ladders and Chairs and Stairs

Not just any stairs, but 50,000 POUND TITANIUM ALLOY STAIRS FORGED IN THE FIRES OF MOUNT DOOM

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

oatgan posted:

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Well ok, this actually owns

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
There's no way those things weigh even 75 pounds, let alone 275. Otherwise Bray would've loving died when Cena chucked them in his face.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Someone go to a WWE show, jump the rail, and try to pick up the stairs

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Did WCW ever use the stairs as a regular gimmick? I find WWE's recent fascination with them amusing, but I don't recall stair spots being a big thing in the past.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
JBL said during the stairs match that never in his life could he possibly lift the stairs. That line alone justified the PPV

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

DynamiteKidd posted:

JBL said during the stairs match that never in his life could he possibly lift the stairs. That line alone justified the PPV

I'm imagining them needing like 5 people and heavy machinery to set up the ring steps every night.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSv1QDZYawk

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
EDIT: Nevermind, that's old.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

In addition, WCW will almost surely set its all-time attendance record and already broke its all-time gate record with a shocking first day of ticket sales on 5/29 for its Nitro on 7/6 at the Georgia Dome. With no matches announced, WCW sold 14,546 tickets for $541,120 on the first day. The current all-time gate record for a WCW event was $541,000 exactly for the Starrcade Hogan vs. Sting match from the MCI Center in Washington, DC on 12/28, so that record was broken on the first day. As of the end of business on 6/1, those numbers had grown to 17,179 tickets sold for $623,495, and there are certain group sale numbers not figured in that probably would account for about another $25,000. The all-time record for the WCW company for attendance was set for the first Nitro at the Georgia Dome on 1/5 with 23,058 paid and 26,773 in the building. What makes this show even more intriguing was that over the weekend, Hogan volunteered to work a dark match on the show, suggested that his opponent be Bill Goldberg, and since it would be a non-title match and Hogan has no problem over doing clean jobs when it isn't televised, one would think he made it clear he wasn't going to harm Goldberg's winning streak. This is one of the reasons Hogan is where he is in the business. All those tickets have already been sold without anyone having any knowledge of the match. No doubt when the match is officially announced locally in about one week, it should help sales even more, and being that it is the final Nitro before the San Diego PPV show, both Rodman and the other celebrity are expected to shoot a major angle at the show and are expected to be pushed heavily starting in about two weeks as being at the show. WCW was originally planning on a 24,000-seat set-up for the show, but has now changed plans and is looking at a 38,000-seat set-up and could approach a $1 million live gate for the first time in company history and the first time ever in the United States for a company other than the WWF to reach that figure--which the WWF has broken on six occasions. When all is said and done and the event is over, it won't be remembered as WCW Nitro drawing the house or Rodman, doing an angle somewhere during the TV show drawing the house, it'll be Hogan and Goldberg drawing the house, most importantly, to the Turner/Time Warner bigwigs, some of whom will be in the building that night, be amazed at the crowd for a wrestling event, and attribute it to Hogan since he's the biggest name wrestling in the main event.

Of course, in a business where all plans change depending upon what happens at 4 p.m. on Tuesday, if WCW is in a tough ratings war, and given the results of this past week that would seem likely, it would be no surprise to see the Hogan-Goldberg match get major hype on a national basis and wind up on television when all is said and done, even though that is definitely was not the plan when Hogan suggested the match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
We're watching a huge Nitro tonight:

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I had absolutely no memory of the fact that DDP came out and hinted at having recruited Warrior before he showed up. I thought he showed up out of nowhere.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

I had absolutely no memory of the fact that DDP came out and hinted at having recruited Warrior before he showed up. I thought he showed up out of nowhere.

I'm assuming that never went anywhere story-wise? I remember having watched that live and briefly wondering what DDP had to do with anything.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm assuming that never went anywhere story-wise? I remember having watched that live and briefly wondering what DDP had to do with anything.

Warrior is a member of Team WCW for War Games.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
If only they could have cut off that promo after maybe five minutes. Was there a way to do that, and Warrior just had too much pull, or was it that easy just to wreck the entire show (and kill the crowd in the process?)

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I did some reading; it's believed Warrior went into business for himself and stretched a planned 5-minute segment into 17 minutes, and nobody in WCW did anything or reacted in the moment because this was going to be their marquee angle and they didn't want to undermine Warrior's shocking return. Also Hogan and Bischoff spent the whole time struggling not to look at each other because they figured that would clue fans in on the fact that they had no idea what was happening.

EDIT: this may be why Nitro ended so abruptly, by the way. As an aside, that was the first match Goldberg ever won without getting a pinfall (though he also had a No Contest with Disco Inferno for the TV title at one point. Don't ask me.)

DynamiteKidd fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 22, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

Latest on Jim Hellwig is that the current plan is for him to debut in August or September, obviously that still being determined by the ratings on Mondays. All kinds of rumors flying around about how much he's going to make but the most reliable sources have it as 36 to 38 dates for about $1 million. That should do wonders for morale as the betting line is after the third week, he'll be useless. I'm trying to envision him out there for seven minutes doing those nonsensical promos before a live crowd. He's got presence so they want poo poo on him right away, but Piper is out there dying when he's out by himself for any length of time and he's still 50 times the promo-man Hellwig is. They are producing new music for him and his ring entrance is going to be a laser lights show type deal even more elaborate than Glacier's

quote:

Rey Misterio Jr. was at Nitro and supposed to do an angle. They even plugged his return on Monday on the WCW Saturday Night show but with Hogan needing eight segments for himself, there was no time. Actually, if you can believe this, there was heat because someone or ones in the office who read this publication saw the name Rey Misterio in the Tijuana notes and didn't realize it was his uncle and wanted him back in the ring if he was working elsewhere.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 27, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Wow, even more elaborate than Glacier's!!

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

ayn rand hand job posted:

Actually, if you can believe this, there was heat because someone or ones in the office who read this publication saw the name Rey Misterio in the Tijuana notes and didn't realize it was his uncle and wanted him back in the ring if he was working elsewhere.

Absolutely incredible, and yet not shocking at all.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Meltzer is brutal in his stuff on Nitro and WCW for basically the duration of Warrior's run. Not that he goes easy after that but the way he describes Hogan and Warrior dying in every city and how by October their merch can't be given away... it's sad, you know?

I mean Warrior's 17-minute surprise debut segment drew a massive rating. Huge. This trend didn't continue, although granted I'm not sure how one might have booked this angle well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
To me, it's sad in the sense that the company and the opportunities that could have been given to younger wrestlers were sacrificed on the altar of two 80s wrestling icons. But I was never a Hogan or Warrior mark as a kid.