Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

GOTY

Seriously, I watched Scott Manley play for a bit, it looks pretty cool. I'm gonna take a look at it when I get home tonight. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Does SAM still work with getting trading cards w/o installing? I don't seem to be getting any with some of the games I try.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

im gay posted:

Does SAM still work with getting trading cards w/o installing? I don't seem to be getting any with some of the games I try.

Takes two+ hours before cards start dropping since the refunds.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

im gay posted:

There's a 2 hour wait on dropping cards, so you can't idle and then refund the game.

e: tch

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

theultimo posted:

This is what the stupid part is:

Baluders gate top review:

"30 fps lock."

Instead of an actual honest review, it's 30fps.

the funny thing is baldur's gate isn't even locked at 30 FPS

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
loving Steam wants me to give it my tax ID or whatever the gently caress before it'll let me sell anything else.

The gently caress, Steam. I am not gonna file taxes on income from $0.08 game cards.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

WarLocke posted:

loving Steam wants me to give it my tax ID or whatever the gently caress before it'll let me sell anything else.

The gently caress, Steam. I am not gonna file taxes on income from $0.08 game cards.

You don't have to file taxes unless you make a LOT of money, like $10,000+, from selling cards/marketplace items/whatever. They just want to have it on record in case you do hit that point I guess?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
^^^: It just seems really wonky. The threshold is just a number of items sold. Makes more sense (IMO) to make it, like, $1,000 from transactions = gotta reg your poo poo. I just ant to make another $12 from cards without having to give them personal info. :argh:

Mutation posted:

A game with a 30 framerate lock is a pretty big sin for a lot of people these days, and will be even moreso as 144hz and variable framerate monitors become more commonplace in the household, and it should be something people should know immediately on a store page.

I hope you don't watch movies because if you do I have bad news

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Has anyone actually bought a game because it was recommended by a curator
i take freak futas recommendations very seriously

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

theultimo posted:

New sequel announced, prob not 60 fps.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FreakZoneGames/status/622088512909783041

AVGN adventure 2, a game that surely needed a sequel

Actually, the first one was capped at 60 FPS. :science:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Coldrice posted:

I hope you guys don't mind self promotion. My little game just got launched on Steam this morning

http://store.steampowered.com/app/280360/

It's a space game where you manage/control a crew and a fleet. SO it's a bit RTS/Strategy. A lot of goons helped me with it so I'm really excited to be able to have it go live!

this looks cool. kind of like ftl plus landing on planets to score loot

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

You're about half through the game, but in Last Light the very final store will show up when you've completed your mission and returned home. You'll know it because you can trade in anything for anything for free. After that the final battle begins and you can dump what you have left. You can start using them more and more excessively when you find what you're looking for though.

If you don't care about plot at all, the free shop is at D6, but after you've recovered the Dark One you can more or less go nuts, though you don't need to.

Good to know, thanks!

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

WarLocke posted:

I hope you don't watch movies because if you do I have bad news

Movies have pretty good motion blur and antialiasing

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

theultimo posted:

New sequel announced, prob not 60 fps.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FreakZoneGames/status/622088512909783041

AVGN adventure 2, a game that surely needed a sequel

Maybe it'll actually be good this time.

...nah it'll be lazy, low-effort garbage like the first one and the Manos game by the same guy. He programmed one game engine and now he just makes a living slapping licensed properties into it while he sits on his rear end raking in money from people with low expectations.

e: Holy poo poo I was right, this is their latest and it looks identical: http://freakzonegames.com/

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Card Hunter has a great concept, but wow do I wish I could just buy the game and not have pop-ups about a weekly/monthly club cost to get extra items after every mission, or paying for pizza slices or whatever the hell. Go away, F2P.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Serperoth posted:

Might be late to the party here, but you should add more descriptions. DotA for example has no jump button, but it does have some abilities that feature jumping (most obviously Juggernaut's Omnislash). Keep it authentic.

I think you're overestimating the amount of work I will put into a joke. Unless people are willing to provide me free games to be reviewed for curation, of course! (I am imagining something like "SPONSORED REVIEW: No Jump button")

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Hey, does anyone know how the game codes that come with the purchase of graphics cards work? I have a code and a site to go to, but I want to know if it'll will just give me a direct download for an installer or if it will give me the option of a Steam code. I'd test it myself, but I'm afraid of redeeming it when I know my computer won't run it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Seventh Arrow posted:

Good to know, thanks!

Yep! If you're playing Redux too you're at about the point where you'll start seeing the dlc weapons integrated into the main game.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

LawfulWaffle posted:

Hey, does anyone know how the game codes that come with the purchase of graphics cards work? I have a code and a site to go to, but I want to know if it'll will just give me a direct download for an installer or if it will give me the option of a Steam code. I'd test it myself, but I'm afraid of redeeming it when I know my computer won't run it.

Depends on the game. Batman redeems to steam but I think it doesn't give you a code, it redeems like the humble bundle games redeem now.

Witcher 3 is a gog code and I think most of those codes expired/expire shortly.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Does Jagged Alliance 2 still hold up? Saw it on sale on GMG.

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 17, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

PerilPastry posted:

Does Jagged Alliance 2 still hold up? Saw it on sale on GMG for less than 5 bucks.

It does it you download one of the many 1.13 fan patches.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Tippis posted:

It does it you download one of the many 1.13 fan patches.

All right, will do. Thanks :)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

PerilPastry posted:

All right, will do. Thanks :)

Also, as always, check the relevant thread for all your link and :spergin: needs.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

gently caress, guys. I come in here to see if Way of the Samurai 4 is any good but you have been bitching about 30fps for the last 5 pages.

Is Way of the Samurai 4 any good?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

littleorv posted:

More importantly is it locked to 30fps?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

littleorv posted:

gently caress, guys. I come in here to see if Way of the Samurai 4 is any good but you have been bitching about 30fps for the last 5 pages.

Yeah, there was a guy a couple of pages back that was in the beta for the game and said it was very stable outside of some minor graphic issues, and $15 is a pretty good, cheap price no matter how you look at it.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Infinitum posted:

More importantly is it locked to 30fps?

Haha gently caress you

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, there was a guy a couple of pages back that was in the beta for the game and said it was very stable outside of some minor graphic issues, and $15 is a pretty good, cheap price no matter how you look at it.

Thank you

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

King Vidiot posted:

Maybe it'll actually be good this time.

...nah it'll be lazy, low-effort garbage like the first one and the Manos game by the same guy. He programmed one game engine and now he just makes a living slapping licensed properties into it while he sits on his rear end raking in money from people with low expectations.

e: Holy poo poo I was right, this is their latest and it looks identical: http://freakzonegames.com/

If Capcom gave a poo poo about Megaman it'd be funny to see them call out all of these games as being straight sprite rip-offs of their old IP.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

littleorv posted:

It's good. Unless the port turns out to be garbage, which is always at least a 30% chance with console-to-pc ports.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

littleorv posted:

The Way of the Samurai games are super good even though I've never really beaten any of them fully.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Agnostalgia posted:

It's good. Unless the port turns out to be garbage, which is always at least a 30% chance with console-to-pc ports.

The port is great from what i have heard, just missing the dark souls-equese invasions. The 30 fps lock thing going around is true, but who the gently caress cares, its a PS3 port.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

theultimo posted:

The port is great from what i have heard, just missing the dark souls-equese invasions. The 30 fps lock thing going around is true, but who the gently caress cares, its a PS3 port.

Not really Dark Souls style invasions, as they weren't player controlled, just NPC copies of other players' avatars wandering around the world. Its a pretty minor feature, though it sometimes let you get an insane sword way more easily than building it yourself.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

Does he think no one will notice that everything in this game is traced from something else, or is that supposed to be the selling point?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Wendell posted:

Does he think no one will notice that everything in this game is traced from something else, or is that supposed to be the selling point?

ORIGINAL PRODUCT DO NOT STEAL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzLqwYvWCJE

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

cat doter posted:

The annoying thing is it's an idea that, in theory, is really smart. I've accidentally bought 3D games that are restricted to 30fps, it's annoying and I'd like to be able to avoid it. But the implementation of the idea isn't smart, it's aimless. Why would you use a platform like that to basically name and shame 2D games, who gives a poo poo that nuclear throne doesn't run at 60fps? Is there really someone clamoring for information about 2d indie game's framerates? I mean, aside from slowdowns or framerate drops.

A few people have brought up nuclear throne being on the list so I'll just say that the frame rate actually is a huge flaw in that game. It's a super fast paced action game so the 30 FPS not only hurts the visual quality and feel of the game but also makes it more difficult to react when the gameplay is mostly reflexes. Not saying the group isn't really dumb but independent of whatever it says, nuclear throne's frame rate is a legitimate complaint about it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

cat doter posted:

It drops to 15fps in battles, it's a weird holdover from the playstation version since the console couldn't handle those 3D models at a higher framerate and that's just the way the game is programmed. It's unfortunate that it can't be fixed but whatever, it's not really an issue. It's an old game, you've gotta expect quirks.

I don't know about FF8, but for FF7 there is actually a mod to fix this (because of a timing bug that makes the slot machine skills near-impossible to use in the port).

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

I don't know about FF8, but for FF7 there is actually a mod to fix this (because of a timing bug that makes the slot machine skills near-impossible to use in the port).

All that mod does is restore how the game functions on the PS1 properly, the UI updates correctly at 60hz while the 3D models still update at 15fps. It was probably easier to just make the whole game run at 15fps during battles for the PC port but luckily that mod fixes that.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

A few people have brought up nuclear throne being on the list so I'll just say that the frame rate actually is a huge flaw in that game. It's a super fast paced action game so the 30 FPS not only hurts the visual quality and feel of the game but also makes it more difficult to react when the gameplay is mostly reflexes. Not saying the group isn't really dumb but independent of whatever it says, nuclear throne's frame rate is a legitimate complaint about it.

Really? That's a bummer. It's still early access though so it might get fixed. Thing is though, it's entirely possible to have the game to take control updates at 60hz while the game itself runs at 30. It'd fix the control issues even if visually it's still at 30. That's another reason that group is stupid.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Interstellaria looks like a ton of fun any first impressions?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Randy Pitchford is continuing his alien colonial marines PR tour

quote:

Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford has spoken about the myriad claims surrounding the development and release of Aliens: Colonial Marines

"I lost somewhere between $10 million and $15 million that I invested in that game. I still don’t regret it – I wouldn’t trade that experience for anything. But no, the plan was to entertain people with this awesome Aliens experience."

"When I engage some folks on it… some people were infected by these videos. There was one that went around calling out these ‘massive changes’ and it’s like, okay. Here’s a video of a player going down the umbilical cord from a demo we did in 2012 and you look up and a soldier smashes through the glass then he falls and gets up and keeps going. Now, in the demo in 2012, when he smashes through the glass there’s loads of glass shattering and when he lands on the floor there’s blood on the ground, and when he comes up he looks at his hand and there’s blood on it.

"In the final game, there’s no blood on the ground and no glass shattering… and that’s a scandal. Like, the tiniest thing! People are fine with us completely changing the art direction of Borderlands, but this?

The content that those people produce, they profit from views. I get it, and it’s part of our world but dude… I mean, I still see videos from people suggesting 9/11 is staged and they’re very convincing but… I mean I’m just grateful that people care enough about our stuff that it’s a worthy enterprise for them to spend that kind of time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

cat doter posted:

Really? That's a bummer. It's still early access though so it might get fixed. Thing is though, it's entirely possible to have the game to take control updates at 60hz while the game itself runs at 30. It'd fix the control issues even if visually it's still at 30. That's another reason that group is stupid.
its a limit with the game engine theyre using. theyve tried a few times to get it to 60 and cant.

fwiw in my hours with the game ive never even thought about the frame rate

• Locked thread