Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/354200/

I don't think I've ever seen a bigger discrepancy between the store image and the actual content from screenshots/trailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FrickenMoron posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a bigger discrepancy between the store image and the actual content from screenshots/trailers.

That's because the store image is stolen from a person's pixeljoint submission and they made the lovely part themselves lol

edit: They didn't even try to hide it either, this is like one of the most popular submissions on the site.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

FrickenMoron posted:

The store image is a known pixel art piece. :psyduck:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I wonder when retro- gaming will hit the ps1 era and I can play indie games that look like mega man legends

Actually if mml3 came out and it looked like a ps1 game I don't think I'd care

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

I wonder when retro- gaming will hit the ps1 era and I can play indie games that look like mega man legends
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-nUay5-Vkc

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Grapplejack posted:

Actually if mml3 came out and it looked like a ps1 game I don't think I'd care

MML's low-poly/high-detail look is one that I'm seeing start to pop up in indie dev stuff, but going off of the Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter the retro PS1 era is going to be all about "updating" boring collectathon platformers with bland modern graphics.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Any recommendations for a Puzzlequest esque game? I haven't played most, but what's considered the most polished?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

frank.club posted:

Interstellaria looks like a ton of fun any first impressions?
I got in on the Kickstarter and have been following the development up to this point, so I'm excited to see the game finally get released.

It's hard not to get the FTL comparisons out of the way. I've only played the first couple of hours or so, but it's definitely fun. After playing FTL to death, it's nice to have another space management sim that's more open-ended and a bit more robust in features. Crew management works mostly like FTL - you put your alien creature of choice at a work station and they get better at that specific job. Don't have someone manning the scanning station? Well, then your in-combat radar won't be as great. Space combat takes some getting used to as you need to manually maneuver your ship around to avoid enemy projectiles and to fire your own guns. It reminds me of Sid Meier's Pirates and the ship combat in that regard. You can send your crew down to planets on away missions to gather resources or to do quests, and this mostly works okay. Characters move very simply via waypoint and any combat they encounter is quick and brief. Hope your team has better weapons and killing power than the thing you're facing. It's all mostly on autopilot unless you need to use a medkit here and there.

Player ships boast some customization by being able to snap everything down to a grid-like layout of whatever ship you're currently flying. Also, you get the chance to manage a fleet of ships, not just one.

There are some things I hope can be fixed later on. It's quite easy to lose track of your crew members if they both occupy the same space in a ship. The prologue to me felt a little weird to be given a robot combat buddy that doesn't seem to be able to work a crew station. Maybe my experience is different than everyone elses, but weird to have to micromanage between 3 ship stations with only 2 crew to start. Also, I wasn't quite sure where the tutorial ended. Perhaps my own thought that I'd be able to create my own character at some point after the basics were brushed away - but it gets right into the meat of the game after your first couple of space encounters.

I've been peeking into the Steam thread to see what people have thought so far, but I thought a new thread might suffice to channel specific talk about the game. Curious to see if/how other people are enjoying it or to find stuff I may have missed. I'm a sucker for space exploration games and Interstellaria is scratching that itch until the next one comes around.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Xeras posted:

Any recommendations for a Puzzlequest esque game? I haven't played most, but what's considered the most polished?

For now this is my go to 'match things and kill things' game: Ironcast

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Quest For Glory II posted:

I played A Bird Story and in retrospect and I ask why

Yeah I know that feeling. Given how much I enjoyed To the Moon, A Bird Story was a colossal disappointment, and given that its developer started offering refunds to folk for it before Steam Refunds even became a thing, I guess I'm definitely not the only one who felt that way.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ironcast was one of the biggest disappointments for me, there is zero strategy involved and you need lucky drops in regards to weapons / perks.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
It's really not that loving hard to find a decent video of Interstellaria that more accurately portrays what the new game experience is like for someone who's reasonably intelligent, has some degree of interest in the genre, and isn't a whiny dickhead.

I was going to say that the posting of that other video was downright malicious, but on the other hand it's so terrible that the only people who would watch it through and draw their conclusions from it have got to be pretty goddamn stupid anyway, so I guess nothing of value was lost.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Interstellaria could have used a lot more polish. Typos everywhere.

e: Jesus, even the achievements have typos.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 18, 2015

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

saucerman posted:

You put Quake and Doom on the list? It's a trap?

Doom doesn't have a jump button - several source ports do but that's different.
Quake does, that was me mis-remembering, aargh. Time to fix my curation.

Hopefully my commitment to correcting any mistakes I have made in the aim of accuracy will gain me a few more curation followers, I've been stuck at 9 for almost a day now.

ookiimarukochan fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 18, 2015

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shima Honnou posted:

Cool, I saw it and it seemed interesting so good to hear that it's good.

I'll come up with a more detailed review when I get some time in.

Meep
Oct 7, 2000

Cathair posted:

It's really not that loving hard to find a decent video of Interstellaria that more accurately portrays what the new game experience is like for someone who's reasonably intelligent, has some degree of interest in the genre, and isn't a whiny dickhead.

I was going to say that the posting of that other video was downright malicious, but on the other hand it's so terrible that the only people who would watch it through and draw their conclusions from it have got to be pretty goddamn stupid anyway, so I guess nothing of value was lost.
Hahaha I love how mad people who kickstart games get when people point out that the game they threw money at sucks. I'm sorry I'm not intelligent enough to understand the glory which is Interstellaria :(

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't kickstart it and I like it. Steam thread is cutthroat whoa

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
It's okay. It actually reminds me a lot of Captain Comic, which is nice :shobon:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

FrickenMoron posted:

Ironcast was one of the biggest disappointments for me, there is zero strategy involved and you need lucky drops in regards to weapons / perks.

I heavily disagree, but otherwise I too am desperate for Matching + Combat that doesn't suck, which is apparently few and far between

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Cathair posted:

I learned absolutely nothing useful in that video compared to the review, I think you're just butthurt. He had issues giving orders, tutorials didnt weren't clear in instructions, and the user interface is a complete mess. I'm interested in the game and want to like it, but they definitely messed up the basics.

Meep
Oct 7, 2000

frank.club posted:

I didn't kickstart it and I like it. Steam thread is cutthroat whoa
It might actually be an ok game. I mean for me personally if FTL 2 was announced it would easily top my most anticipated game list. But calling this game better then FTL when it's so blatantly unpolished and full of bad design decisions makes anyone championing it instantly lose all credibility as far as I'm concerned. Who knows, maybe it will get a bunch of patches and I'll pick it up on sale and enjoy it in the future, but from what I've seen there's no way it's worth :10bux: right now.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I love that like two days ago we had a big discussion about being burned by Goon Kickstarter games because the people who back them shout down any criticism and now we have a bunch of people showing up to shout down criticism of a Goon Kickstarter game.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Meep posted:

It might actually be an ok game. I mean for me personally if FTL 2 was announced it would easily top my most anticipated game list. But calling this game better then FTL when it's so blatantly unpolished and full of bad design decisions makes anyone championing it instantly lose all credibility as far as I'm concerned. Who knows, maybe it will get a bunch of patches and I'll pick it up on sale and enjoy it in the future, but from what I've seen there's no way it's worth :10bux: right now.

I really like FTL but the RNG was painful. So that's a big reason why I'm enjoying interstellia

Sleeveless posted:

I love that like two days ago we had a big discussion about being burned by Goon Kickstarter games because the people who back them shout down any criticism and now we have a bunch of people showing up to shout down criticism of a Goon Kickstarter game.

I'm enjoying this video game.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

frank.club posted:

I'm enjoying this video game.

Enjoying bideo games in the Steam thread? Get the gently caress out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sleeveless posted:

1. It has absolutely nothing to do with it being a goon kickstarter

2. All kickstarters are poo poo no matter who starts them

Meep
Oct 7, 2000

frank.club posted:

I really like FTL but the RNG was painful. So that's a big reason why I'm enjoying interstellia
One of the great things about FTL is that the RNG is almost completely mitigable once you're good enough. I could beat it on normal 90%+ of the time with most ships eventually. Enhanced edition hard mode was a different story, I could never really beat it consistently.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Meep posted:

Hahaha I love how mad people who kickstart games get when people point out that the game they threw money at sucks. I'm sorry I'm not intelligent enough to understand the glory which is Interstellaria :(

I didn't kickstart it and I haven't bought it post-release either. I've seen videos of it a couple of times during its development, but only covering the initial tutorial part of the game. It looks a little messy but I'm interested, and I want to hear what people who did throw money at it have to say about how much content and/or terrible problems it has further in. Instead I find someone posting a garbage review and such measured, rational impressions as "everything about it looks like complete poo poo". This isn't so much anger as mild disgust and exasperation at your terrible posting, and how personally invested could I be in something that I'm not even willing to drop tenbux on without waiting and checking it out first? Keep on making wildly incorrect assumptions though, it's really working out for you!

Meep
Oct 7, 2000
Lol

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
I know we all moved on from making jokes on the obsessive compulsive FPS militia, but apparently the Guild of Dungeoneering devs got email-bombed and threatend all night long by by the fans of the completely benign and informative only curator group.
Usually I just try to ignore the PC mustard race bullshit , but come on sperglords , you making the rest of us look bad.

edited :
here is some context
https://twitter.com/gambrinous/status/622186459953500160

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Turtlicious posted:

To be more clear, it's like a more advanced FTL, with tighter crew controls,

lol what? just in terms of finding hull-breaches FTL is miles ahead in readability.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 18, 2015

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

The video Meep posted is fine, nice meltdown btw

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

CJacobs posted:

2. All kickstarters are poo poo no matter who starts them

poo poo, shouldn't have pitched in on Shenmue 3.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Cathair posted:

I didn't kickstart it and I haven't bought it post-release either. I've seen videos of it a couple of times during its development, but only covering the initial tutorial part of the game. It looks a little messy but I'm interested, and I want to hear what people who did throw money at it have to say about how much content and/or terrible problems it has further in. Instead I find someone posting a garbage review and such measured, rational impressions as "everything about it looks like complete poo poo". This isn't so much anger as mild disgust and exasperation at your terrible posting, and how personally invested could I be in something that I'm not even willing to drop tenbux on without waiting and checking it out first? Keep on making wildly incorrect assumptions though, it's really working out for you!

say what you want; you are super angry about video games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shima Honnou posted:

poo poo, shouldn't have pitched in on Shenmue 3.
Shenmue is crap, so you're right, you shouldn't have.

edit: It's endearing crap, sure, but it's not millions of dollars' worth of endearing.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

CJacobs posted:

Shenmue is crap, so you're right, you shouldn't have.

I've never played the old ones (Because they never got put on a real system such as PC)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fair enough. And let's hope that if it does come to PC, it comes to us at a sensible 90 fps+.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I believe in Yu.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Xeras posted:

Play You Must Build a Boat.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Crabtree posted:

At least that's something, although I don't know how hard it is to port 6 8-bit games. What, are they waiting to release it on the date of Mighty No. 9 or something?

Yes? Was that actually in doubt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Why buy one new Mega Man game when you can have six

• Locked thread