Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

Isn't he like 90 years old now? Why would anyone even want to see it?

i guess certain puerile internet voyeurs really wanted to know what happens when hulkamania runs wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Deadspin has actually been decent since Craggs moved up although I admit most of the stuff I like there is not actually sports related

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

R.D. Mangles posted:

being sued for refusing to take down a hulk hogan sex tape-- there is no cluster of words in that phrase that is not funny

Yeah, that's a strange hill to die on

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

Deadspin has actually been decent since Craggs moved up although I admit most of the stuff I like there is not actually sports related

Every now and then they come up with something fully sports related and not some gossip piece or a one off video of something. Like this which I was stunned to read on deadspin.

I admit I could be biased since Kelce's on the team I cheer for but that seems like it's worth looking at anyway.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Deadspin's always had good stuff throughout it's existence but Daulerio and Craggs gave it a really nasty, petty, cynical, self-important/congratulating/promoting streak that it hasn't shaken and I'm not sure if it ever will.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Frackie Robinson posted:

If going down via the Hulkster is strange, then everyone in the Heenan family was beyond weird.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Frackie Robinson posted:

Posting that particular thing is pretty scummy, but I can appreciate the impulse to refuse any outside request (in particular from a rich and influential individual) to change or remove content in the media.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Deadspin is mostly garbage, even moreso now that all the Gawker sites are increasingly cross posting content (at best 2/3 of the posts on Deadspin are actually sports related), but they still do some good poo poo. They had a really good summary of the impending NBA lockout recently.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Noctone posted:

Deadspin is mostly garbage, even moreso now that all the Gawker sites are increasingly cross posting content (at best 2/3 of the posts on Deadspin are actually sports related), but they still do some good poo poo. They had a really good summary of the impending NBA lockout recently.
It's funny how Gawker can't seem to figure out why its traffic has decreased by about 60% over the last year, which just about coincides with the company starting the practice of cross-posting things over all of their websites so you really only have to visit one Gawker Media site to see anything that might interest you.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The best part about the Gawker media group is that they'll host videos almost immediately of things like Premiere league goals or something crazy that happened on CNN and not be worried about it getting taken down and they rarely do. As opposed to Youtube that will take stuff down for sports leagues almost immediately.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Crazy Ted posted:

It's funny how Gawker can't seem to figure out why its traffic has decreased by about 60% over the last year, which just about coincides with the company starting the practice of cross-posting things over all of their websites so you really only have to visit one Gawker Media site to see anything that might interest you.

Also probably doesn't help that they've gone overboard with the "here's a hot deal for [merchandise]!!!" posts. There are three of them on the first page of Deadspin right now. I dunno if they get kickbacks for this poo poo but it's becoming obnoxious.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
They have a guy that finds deals (or gets them sent to him) and they get money from the Amazon affiliate links if you buy it. It is advertising but in a less obviously CLICK THIS BANNER AD kind of way.

There is a guy in the Coupons subforum here that does basically the same thing.

midwat
May 6, 2007

I stopped visiting Gawker sites because, despite the occasional really good piece, they're filled with some of the most depressing trash I've ever seen.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mornacale posted:

Posting that particular thing is pretty scummy, but I can appreciate the impulse to refuse any outside request (in particular from a rich and influential individual) to change or remove content in the media.

Right, but how does that apply to Hulk Hogan?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

DOOP posted:

Right, but how does that apply to Hulk Hogan?

Hogan said "Hey take that video down, it's an invasion of my privacy." Gawker said "Not gonna do that, because we think it's newsworthy; it's a video of you loving your friend's wife at a time when you were on the radio all the time talking about how awesome your married life is."

Gawker's definition of "newsworthy" is hosed to hell in this instance, but the stance that the subject of a story doesn't get to dictate the terms of (or existence of) that story is kind of an important one if you want a free press.

e: unless you were saying "how does 'rich and influential' apply to Hulk Hogan" in which case I missed :thejoke:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Noctone posted:

Also probably doesn't help that they've gone overboard with the "here's a hot deal for [merchandise]!!!" posts. There are three of them on the first page of Deadspin right now. I dunno if they get kickbacks for this poo poo but it's becoming obnoxious.
Yeah between that and the stupid cross-promotion for other sites that have nothing to do with Deadspin, it makes the site kind of pointless. I checked it out last night after not going there in some time and I'm not going back.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
A judge told them to take down the video and they wouldn't. Pretty scummy to post it anyway.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Especially in light of the righteous fervor Jezebel whipped themselves into over the leaked celebrity nudes last year. They're both scummy as hell to post but one you defy a court order to keep up? That seems logically inconsistent at best.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Spoeank posted:

Especially in light of the righteous fervor Jezebel whipped themselves into over the leaked celebrity nudes last year. They're both scummy as hell to post but one you defy a court order to keep up? That seems logically inconsistent at best.

I guess you can switch your morality goal posts when clicks are on the line

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

e: unless you were saying "how does 'rich and influential' apply to Hulk Hogan" in which case I missed :thejoke:

this

dude's a joke at this point

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spoeank posted:

It's not as logically inconsistent as it sounds - Gawker's motivation in posting the Hogan tape was that Hogan had himself made the matter of his sex life public; he put the matter out there in the public consciousness, so a tape that arguably proved he was full of poo poo was newsworthy. Since Gawker was publishing a tape they felt to be newsworthy, it was justifiable, they claimed, to resist efforts to take down the video, because something doesn't stop being news just because it embarrasses someone (the embarrassment is, all too often, what makes it news), and the subject of a news story doesn't get to dictate that story's coverage.

None of the celebs whose nudes got leaked, on the other hand, were going on TV and/or radio talking about how great their bodies were (to the best of my knowledge; I haven't exactly fact-checked the list of leaked celebs or anything). They hadn't made their nudity a part of the public consciousness the way Hogan had with his sex life, in other words. If they had all been, for instance, former Playboy Playmates, then that might have been another matter, but that wasn't the case.

In any event, there's really not a very good direct comparison; none of the Gawker sites published any of the celeb nudes, IIRC, so the matter of 'would they have fought in court to keep those posts up' is kind of moot.

Having said all of that, I'll reiterate that Gawker's post of Hogan's sex tape was lovely and stupid, because I don't feel like 'an aging wrestler who publicly stated he'd never sleep with this lady actually slept with this lady' is what I could call 'news.' But if you're gonna post it, you may as well own that poo poo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spoeank posted:

Deadspin was also one of the sites posting the celebrity nudes, or at least the Verlander/Upton one.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It's not as logically inconsistent as it sounds - Gawker's motivation in posting the Hogan tape was that Hogan had himself made the matter of his sex life public; he put the matter out there in the public consciousness, so a tape that arguably proved he was full of poo poo was newsworthy. Since Gawker was publishing a tape they felt to be newsworthy, it was justifiable, they claimed, to resist efforts to take down the video, because something doesn't stop being news just because it embarrasses someone (the embarrassment is, all too often, what makes it news), and the subject of a news story doesn't get to dictate that story's coverage.

None of the celebs whose nudes got leaked, on the other hand, were going on TV and/or radio talking about how great their bodies were (to the best of my knowledge; I haven't exactly fact-checked the list of leaked celebs or anything). They hadn't made their nudity a part of the public consciousness the way Hogan had with his sex life, in other words. If they had all been, for instance, former Playboy Playmates, then that might have been another matter, but that wasn't the case.

In any event, there's really not a very good direct comparison; none of the Gawker sites published any of the celeb nudes, IIRC, so the matter of 'would they have fought in court to keep those posts up' is kind of moot.

Having said all of that, I'll reiterate that Gawker's post of Hogan's sex tape was lovely and stupid, because I don't feel like 'an aging wrestler who publicly stated he'd never sleep with this lady actually slept with this lady' is what I could call 'news.' But if you're gonna post it, you may as well own that poo poo.

Okay, then take what I said about the Hogan sex tape and apply it to all the athlete dong shots all over Deadspin.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spoeank posted:

Okay, then take what I said about the Hogan sex tape and apply it to all the athlete dong shots all over Deadspin.

That one I'll give you. Indefensible as gently caress.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i read that conde nast thing yesterday and i kept thinking how is this news, glad to see they took it down but uh, cat is kinda it off the bag now

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

when the hulkster takes down gawker i'll play this at the funeral https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwE6F7md1LQ

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cool and good. posted:

when the hulkster takes down gawker i'll play this at the funeral https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwE6F7md1LQ

nah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJigJNkwqEo

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mr hogan, please refer to the judge as "your honor" and not "all you hulkamaniacs out there across america"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Henchman of Santa posted:

Deadspin was also one of the sites posting the celebrity nudes, or at least the Verlander/Upton one.

Deadspin also routinely posts athletes' errant dick pics. And maybe as well the Erin Andrews peep hole camera thing?

And of course, Odibe McDowell's water bill.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

howe_sam posted:

And of course, Odibe McDowell's water bill.

I must admit, I really looked forward to each month's new water bill.

The most insane thing about the Conde Nast piece is how they protected the identity of the blackmailer while calling out Tim Geithner's brother.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Deadspin posts leaked nudes, Jezebel posts a self-righteous rant about people posting leaked nudes, both of which link to each other for more clicks.

That being said, Hulk Hogan being the guy who actually fought back is hilarious.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

AsInHowe posted:

Deadspin posts leaked nudes, Jezebel posts a self-righteous rant about people posting leaked nudes, both of which link to each other for more clicks.

That being said, Hulk Hogan being the guy who actually fought back is hilarious.

The no-sell to end them all

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
If Justin Verlander went after Deadspin for posting those pictures, people would've loved him. Another redemption narrative missed by him.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just really want BS podcasts again.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Dying to hear JackO's take on Arod's resurgence.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Frackie Robinson posted:

Dying to hear JackO's take on Arod's resurgence.
Spoiler: It will include the phrase "bouncing my grandkids on my knee".

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Cool and good. posted:

It should just be his theme played over a video of him bodyslamming Andre the Giant in front of 93,000 screaming Hulkamaniacs at Wrestlemania 3 but with Nick Denton's face photoshopped on to Andre.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Niwrad posted:

It should just be his theme played over a video of him bodyslamming Andre the Giant in front of 93,000 screaming Hulkamaniacs at Wrestlemania 3 but with Nick Denton's face photoshopped on to Andre.

Alternatively, this was always the better Hogan theme

No offense to Rick Derringer

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

ayn rand hand job posted:

Alternatively, this was always the better Hogan theme

No offense to Rick Derringer

Real American is more iconic, American Made is awesome americana, Voodoo Child was at it's best with the one liners added to it.

"New World Order. The biggest Icon in professional wrestling. 23 3/4" pythons."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Dutchy posted:

Deadspin's always had good stuff throughout it's existence but Daulerio and Craggs gave it a really nasty, petty, cynical, self-important/congratulating/promoting streak that it hasn't shaken and I'm not sure if it ever will.

Deadspin used to be pretty awesome but it is the Hater Olympics over there now and has been becoming more and more so since Leach left. I'm sure there is still good stuff over there, but every time I go there now, I see like 2 "Hot deals on laptops" posts, one about beer, one about food, 2 screencaps of something, and maybe 1 sports article.