Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I hate how Affleck is now the avatar of anti-"reddit atheism" because he's as big a racist shitlord as the racists he calls out. And I knew that well before he was caught strongarming PBS into whitewashing his slave-owning ancestors.

Anyways, anyone else ever experience this?

"I should be a web comic artist!"
"Actually that's a stupid idea."

"I should be an Internet critic on YouTube!"

"I should be a blogger and write about culture and politics!"

"I should be a history podcaster!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Echo Chamber posted:

"I should be a web comic artist!"

A friend of a friend said this, unironically, and then quit his job to dedicate himself to writing and illustrating the shittiest penny arcade copy the internet has seen.

Eventually, through the power of unemployment and zero donation income, he was unable to pay for his share of the co-rented apartment and had to move back home with his mom. Dude is closer to 30 than 20.

Welp that's my story

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Well all my "personal brand" ideas never got passed the "realizing it's stupid and I can't do it" phase.

As much as I like history, I've always been a lazy researcher and a terrible book reader.

But yeah I'm nearly 30 and my mind still wanders into stupid "how can I be internet famous" even though I know it's stupid.

Someone else make my "incredibly biased but honest American History podcast" idea please.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Rerail:

I think The History of Byzantium (iTunes link) podcast should get a look by anyone who enjoyed The History of Rome.

I started listening to it a month ago and it really is fantastic. It's less conversational than Mike Duncan's podcasts but still just as informative, entertaining, and involving.

The first 10 episodes ape The History of Rome format quite a bit but it starts to do its own thing to include specifics on how the Byzantine Roman state worked and the landscape of the Empire (specifically, how it all differed from what we might usually think of how the classical Roman state operated). It really picks up with Justinian and then abandons the HoR format all together.

An especially nice innovation is a series of retrospective episodes at the end of each century just to look how the Empire has changed over the last hundred years of the narrative along with answers to listener questions. I think most history buffs are familiar with how the ancient Roman republic/empire operated but much less so with the later medieval Roman state. The retrospective episodes help with this (and honestly, the walking tours and common man episodes of HoR were among my favorites).

So check it out. It's definitely become a worth successor.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

midnightclimax posted:

Are there any good podcasts on finance and the economy out there? Like one not necessarily about US specifics all the time, since I'm in Europe.

I'm a fan of BBC's More or Less. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qshd

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

It's a good podcast, but more about stats than finance (although the two intersect often).

One out of left field for the economy might be the CATO Institute podcasts. It is what it is - single-minded, hawkish with a market-fetish - but you can pick and choose the episodes you want to listen to and ignore those that are just manufactured libertarian outrage ("Episode 356: Why this minor planning decision in an out of the way town signifies the end of law, our country, our way of life, clearly being a sign of the End Days, my god people are you crazy. (45min)")

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

That Colbert impression of Carlin was deadnuts and had me crying laughing so hard.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Thanks for the suggestions, Econtalk and Cato Podcasts sound like what I was looking for.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
APM's Marketplace is a decent podcast for daily financial news, if you can stand Kai Ryssdal's voice

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ChetReckless posted:

Stephen Colbert does a pretty good Dan Carlin impression. (Start it at about 3:25 or so)

this is great

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I didn't know it was possible to like Stephen Colbert more.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I am so tuned into the "ageeeeeen" now

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
God, that impression was great.

I'm confused, though, when is Stephen supposed to host Late Show?

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

September

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The impression is ruined because I thought that Carlin pronounces Genghis Khan with a "J" sound instead of a hard "G." Also no boxing analogy.

Stephen Colbert is a national treasure though.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

AlbieQuirky posted:

Last Podcast on the Left does a lot of UFO and similar. I can't quite tell how much of the taking weird poo poo at face value is for comic effect and how much is real.

This is one of my favorite podcasts. It seems like it's all for comic effect, but sometimes I worry about Henry Zebrowski.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Thwomp posted:

Rerail:

I think The History of Byzantium (iTunes link) podcast should get a look by anyone who enjoyed The History of Rome.

-snip-

So check it out. It's definitely become a worth successor.

Agreed, there's a lot to like about THOB, especially once he starts figuring out his own style and eases up on riding the THOR train. His work on the cataclysmic poo poo that hit Rome from the plague of Justinian to the rise of Islam was very compelling listening, though I will always maintain that turning Heraclius's final campaign into one mega podcast did not fit his presentation style at all.

I've been listening to The Lesser Bonapartes quite a bit lately. It's a super conversational show where two history nerds pick a subject and chat about it for an hour. They can get a little schticky, but I think they're usually entertaining and reasonably informative given the presentation style.

TheLoquid fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 12, 2015

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

TheLoquid posted:

I've been listening to The Lesser Bonapartes quite a bit lately. It's a super conversational show where two history nerds pick a subject and chat about it for an hour. They can get a little schticky, but I think they're usually entertaining and reasonably informative given the presentation style.
Unlike the Napoleon Bonaparte Podcast these guys don't jump on Napoleon's dick every chance they get and their banter isn't insufferable.Thanks for the recommendation!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

TheLoquid posted:

This is great based on the first episode, and just in time to replace the Dollop in my lineup :allears:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, you guys were being way too kind with your comments on the Washington episode of the presidential podcast; I've never considered a podcast to be practicably unlistenable before now but whelp. It's like someone else has a tv on too loud while I'm trying to listen to it except this time putting my head phones in just makes it worse.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Rodyle posted:

This is great based on the first episode, and just in time to replace the Dollop in my lineup :allears:

If you like calling long dead historical figures douchebags, this is your podcast

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

TheLoquid posted:

If you like calling long dead historical figures douchebags, this is your podcast

Well, who doesn't?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok, you guys were being way too kind with your comments on the Washington episode of the presidential podcast; I've never considered a podcast to be practicably unlistenable before now but whelp. It's like someone else has a tv on too loud while I'm trying to listen to it except this time putting my head phones in just makes it worse.

In addition to all the dumb sounds and music, Mike Duncan's narration is different than it usually is for his podcasts. Which is weird because thanks to all the comments I was prepared for the noise but found Mike's narration odd. It's not bad, but something about it just sounds less polished than usual. Less like a conversation with a professor on the topic of their specialty and more like listening to your friend telling you about what you missed in class yesterday.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Yeah the Washington episode was really strange, a lot of the music was really awful and misplaced and mike Duncan sounded bored with his delivery, a lot of the audio cues were really bad. I liked the Nixon episode because it delved quite a bit into the psyche of the man and gave us an interesting way of looking at him, the audio stuff was actually engaging in that one. The Washington episode is a trainwreck compared to the one before it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Gyges posted:

In addition to all the dumb sounds and music, Mike Duncan's narration is different than it usually is for his podcasts. Which is weird because thanks to all the comments I was prepared for the noise but found Mike's narration odd. It's not bad, but something about it just sounds less polished than usual. Less like a conversation with a professor on the topic of their specialty and more like listening to your friend telling you about what you missed in class yesterday.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I wonder if rather than having his guests write their own stuff, Brown's doing some kind of interview Q&A sort of thing and editing out his questions? Either that or Duncan decided to try out a less formal style for this one? I dunno. :shrug:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I wonder if rather than having his guests write their own stuff, Brown's doing some kind of interview Q&A sort of thing and editing out his questions? Either that or Duncan decided to try out a less formal style for this one? I dunno. :shrug:

Not that I gave it much of a listen but I was really ready to believe that the editor, in addition to filling up the podcast with lovely sounds, had actually edited out pauses in Mike's sentences to increase the tempo so it could follow the dramatic techno music. I'd swear his inflection would change way too much in between sentences, like stuff was being spliced together. Is there a transcript of the podcast because really I'd just read it instead.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
It actually sounds like it's a lot more heavily edited than a usual Mike Duncan show. Like he's put together a normal show and then the 10 Presidents guy has spliced it up different and added all the sound effects and dramatisations.

Mike is a lot more conversational as well, like he's speaking to someone off-screen that we can't hear (as opposed to Revolutions where he's just delivering a lecture and occasionally addresses you directly).

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Jack B Nimble posted:

Not that I gave it much of a listen but I was really ready to believe that the editor, in addition to filling up the podcast with lovely sounds, had actually edited out pauses in Mike's sentences to increase the tempo so it could follow the dramatic techno music. I'd swear his inflection would change way too much in between sentences, like stuff was being spliced together. Is there a transcript of the podcast because really I'd just read it instead.

If you have twitter, tweet the 10US Presidents dude.

Should probably let him know how bad the editing was too

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
CBC's advertising/marketing podcast Under the Influence has just re-published their two part series Selling The Moon. If you're a fan of space stuff, this might be a perspective on the Space Race you haven't heard a lot about.

The podcast is pretty good in general, so if you like that go ahead and listen to some others. (They don't keep much of the backlog on their feed, unfortunately, but there are some.)

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I've asked earlier about podcasts on economic and financial issues, and people suggested the cato daily podcast and EconTalk, among others. I've found three more that seem interesting:

Public Lectures and Events: podcasts and videos from the London School of Economics
http://www.lse.ac.uk/newsAndMedia/videoAndAudio/channels/publicLecturesAndEvents/Home.aspx

Peterson Institute Events Audio Podcast
http://www.piie.com/

Economic Update Radio Show
http://www.democracyatwork.info/category/economic-update-radio-show/

So far I've only listened to Economic Update, it's good because it offers a more leftist view to balance out the liberal and libertarian bent of the other shows. Can't vouch for the rest, but the topics and speakers sound good.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

TheLoquid posted:

This is great only part way through the second episode and its already in my top podcasts.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
I suspect this has been recommended in this thread before but I haven't seen it for a while, but those of you who like podcasts that are the format of two non-historian guys talking about historical figures in a somewhat irreverent way might also enjoy Rex Factor. Basically, starting with Alfred the Great (r. 871-99), they went through all the monarchs of England (and Scotland, starting with James I/VI) and tried to determine which ones had ~the Rex Factor~. They've since gone back and have started Scottish monarchs. I'm still working my way through the English rulers and don't listen to it as regularly as I do a lot of podcasts, but it's fun to spend a day listening to every now and again.

jerk1000
Dec 3, 2014

TheLoquid posted:

I'm liking this a lot. It kind of reminds me of The Dollop, but with hosts who have a good working knowledge of world history (even though they're not as funny).

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

In Our Time "Frederick the Great" was fairly heated. The Prussian king was apparently gay and this rumor really upsets one of the guests, to the point where the podcast gets an addendum of extra argument compared to the radio version.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Because so many people here like Dan Carlin, you may appreciate this conversation/discussion re: american foreign policy, interventionism and the war on terror with Sam Harris

https://soundcloud.com/samharrisorg/shouldering-the-burden-of-history-with-dan-carlin

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Watermelon City posted:

In Our Time "Frederick the Great" was fairly heated. The Prussian king was apparently gay and this rumor really upsets one of the guests, to the point where the podcast gets an addendum of extra argument compared to the radio version.

I thought they were pretty good natured about it! Both sides were very clear about it not being possible to say for sure and the dude who suggested restraint just didn't get a chance to really say his piece on air.

(frederick was gay tho lol cmon)

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I once saw fred the gr8 suck a fat one.

True story

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Because so many people here like Dan Carlin, you may appreciate this conversation/discussion re: american foreign policy, interventionism and the war on terror with Sam Harris

https://soundcloud.com/samharrisorg/shouldering-the-burden-of-history-with-dan-carlin

The problem here isn't dan carlin, the problem is that Sam Harris is a completely stupid racist piece of poo poo who tries to constantly sugarcoat his fake-intellectualist arguments. He's a charlatan who takes advantage of other people ignorance to make statements that if it was ever said about any other group (e.g. jews, African Americans,etc.) He wouldn't have a career anymore. I am really disappointed that Dan Carlin keeps entertaining this creep.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I thought it was a good conversation that touched on some interesting points, and while I don't really find that description of Sam Harris to be accurate beyond the standard un-nuanced hyperbole you get every time his name is brought up, this probably isn't the thread for an in-depth discussion on Harris' political viewpoints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

The problem here isn't dan carlin, the problem is that Sam Harris is a completely stupid racist piece of poo poo who tries to constantly sugarcoat his fake-intellectualist arguments.

Sam Harris isn't stupid or racist. He simply believes that Abrahamic religion is a gigantic net negative for humanity.