Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also badass:

Stabbed with a sacred knife then kicked off a platform several kilometers in the sky and then trapped on a planet about to be blown up with an antimatter bomb.

And he still gets away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Milotic posted:

I'm not seeing many badass panels on this page. So here's a bunch from Civil War #1. I can remove the first few if needed, but I think they're important for context.

Growing up as a brit, this scene was the first time I'd been exposed to Captain America in a comic, so for me it's an exceptionally memorable scene. I think it's a perfect outline of him. If anyone has some recommendations, I'd love to hear them. I guess I should read Brubaker's run at some point.

One of the subtler badass points is that Maria Hill assumes Cap can take down some of the toughest and longest lived heroes. Spidey has been around since the early years and he's one of the most experienced combatants out there.

Upon reflection, it's interesting that Maria Hill has so misjudged both Captain, and the relationship of S.H.I.E.L.D. with the Avengers. She's still newish to the role, having been massively promoted, and having actually bombed the crap out of the Avengers only a few months ago in the Savage Land. She feels threatened by Cap and she escalates the situation needlessly. For me, this is the point where What If? stories should diverge at. Without Cap, there would have been no figurehead to rally round.

I can't take that scene seriously at all, because I've read Chris "MightyGodKing" Bird's version.

http://mightygodking.com/i-dont-need-your-civil-war/

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Milotic posted:

I'm not seeing many badass panels on this page. So here's a bunch from Civil War #1. I can remove the first few if needed, but I think they're important for context.

Growing up as a brit, this scene was the first time I'd been exposed to Captain America in a comic, so for me it's an exceptionally memorable scene. I think it's a perfect outline of him. If anyone has some recommendations, I'd love to hear them. I guess I should read Brubaker's run at some point.

Ah, the neophyte. You still think the Civil War comic is worth half a poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SynthOrange posted:

Also badass:

Stabbed with a sacred knife then kicked off a platform several kilometers in the sky and then trapped on a planet about to be blown up with an antimatter bomb.

And he still gets away.

That's pretty god damned true. Him and Reed are the people I'm most curious about what happens to them by the end of Secret Wars, since almost everyone else I give a drat about already has an announced solo title or is part of a team book. (I'm also curious about Loki).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mind the walrus posted:

Ah, the neophyte. You still think the Civil War comic is worth half a poo poo.

While I respect the imagery, what the hell benefit would Superman get from holding Captain America's Shield? Batman I'd get, Flash maybe because his powers are basically weird physics and so are the shield's, but the only reason for Superman to use the shield is if it can do something he can't, so what does the shield bring to his table?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Captain America's Shield, like all true patriots, gives no fucks about magic.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Supes M.Bison charges into things with the shield, causing a Vibranium-shockwave that blahblahblah

Plus it matches his color scheme.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It'd match WW's even better. :v:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

Captain America's Shield, like all true patriots, gives no fucks about magic.

That actually makes sense, thank you.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
T'Challa and Namor's relationship is the best thing to happen to them both in decades. Just throwing that out there. I absolutely love where it's gone since AVX.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Skwirl posted:

While I respect the imagery, what the hell benefit would Superman get from holding Captain America's Shield? Batman I'd get, Flash maybe because his powers are basically weird physics and so are the shield's, but the only reason for Superman to use the shield is if it can do something he can't, so what does the shield bring to his table?

The magic, as said before, and the general shock absorption/dissipation. Superman might be able to withstand or even stop blows from Mjolnir but add the shield and suddenly he's a lot faster on the counter. Given that the JLA/Avengers are storming literally every villain they've ever fought on a ship made out of Galactus' corpse then any edge is necessary. Plus iconography and a symbol of teamwork given that Supes and Cap were uncharacteristically dickish to each other blah blah blah.

Nilbop posted:

T'Challa and Namor's relationship is the best thing to happen to them both in decades. Just throwing that out there. I absolutely love where it's gone since AVX.

Same. Hickman finally figured out a way to make Black Panther marketable in a way that wasn't "uncomfortable race-swap Batman." The whole "King of the Dead" angle really gives him his own niche that fits between Dr. Strange and Stark.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 17, 2015

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I know it sounds amoral, but what struck me is Namor was also "right" when it came to his nihilism in regards to the incursions initially. That is right, given his values and background, and they communicated that very successfully.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
B.Panther and Namor being anti-buddies sounds fun. What comic should I read that has both of them?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shakenbaker posted:

The best part of Civil War was Taskmaster and Ant-Man getting to interact. The second best is where Namor straight up attempts to murder Tony Stark:

New Avengers: Illuminati Special #1

I think the next page has Namor going into the water after him and pulling off his face mask. If Strange hadn't stepped in to separate them, Stark would probably have wound up dead.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

B.Panther and Namor being anti-buddies sounds fun. What comic should I read that has both of them?

Hickman's New Avengers

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

prefect posted:

I think the next page has Namor going into the water after him and pulling off his face mask. If Strange hadn't stepped in to separate them, Stark would probably have wound up dead.

And then alive again next issue.

redbackground posted:

Hickman's New Avengers
Thanks. I'll get on it.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Gavok posted:

If the Ruin the Moment thread was still active, I would have changed that to "WITNESS ME!" a while back.

If you want to start a new one, or resurrect the old one I don't think anyone would argue.

I only contributed 2 or 3 last time around but if you do, I'll try for one a week, quality not guaranteed.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

mind the walrus posted:

storming literally every villain they've ever fought on a ship made out of Galactus' corpse

Wait, what? :stonk:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Kurt Busiek and George Perez don't do poo poo by halves.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
From Jake Wyatt's tumblr.
This is a good design.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You probably meant to post that in the costume thread.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

JLA/Avengers is the poo poo just for that premise alone. Also Cap beating the poo poo out of Prometheus was kick rear end.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

You probably meant to post that in the costume thread.

She's got a bad rear end. She doesn't only have to hover over chimneys or whatever that is.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Jiro posted:

JLA/Avengers is the poo poo just for that premise alone. Also Cap beating the poo poo out of Prometheus was kick rear end.

Is Prometheus ... somebody? I've never heard of him before or since JLA/Avengers, but I don't read DC a lot.

But yeah, JLA/Avengers was what got me into comics in the first-place. It's really old school, and has got a ton of better-off-dead characters that Busiek has a soft-spot for like Jack of Hearts and Triathlon, but only as cameos. Most of it is really, really good fun.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Nilbop posted:

Is Prometheus ... somebody? I've never heard of him before or since JLA/Avengers, but I don't read DC a lot.

But yeah, JLA/Avengers was what got me into comics in the first-place. It's really old school, and has got a ton of better-off-dead characters that Busiek has a soft-spot for like Jack of Hearts and Triathlon, but only as cameos. Most of it is really, really good fun.

He's evil Batman, only instead of spending years learning kung-fu he just loads his opponent's combat abilities onto a CD and jams it into his helmet.

In their first encounter, he beat up Batman. In their second encounter Batman sabotaged his helmet to give him the combat skills of Stephen Hawking. After that it was kind of hard to take him seriously as a threat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He also has a stupid costume.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Morrison made Prometheus for his run on JLA. Prometheus is one character in a long succession of writers going "I've got a great idea: Batman, but evil!"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
He was distinguished by having a personality though ("rear end in a top hat nerd at his core").

You can also read him in a metafictional sense: he's the badass new character who totally owns everyone, but the next time he shows up he's utterly defanged, because you actually have to work at being badass.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Wasn't he briefly mentioned all of once in one of the Arkham games? Like he didn't even get to show up, he was just a character bio you got for solving a Riddler thing

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Prometheus is probably in my top 3 favourite terrible characters.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

He was distinguished by having a personality though ("rear end in a top hat nerd at his core").

You can also read him in a metafictional sense: he's the badass new character who totally owns everyone, but the next time he shows up he's utterly defanged, because you actually have to work at being badass.

This is Grant Morrison we're talking about here so this was probably completely the intent.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jiro posted:

"Try fighting the Wehrmacht, pal. It teaches you focus!"

Prometheus is actually beaten in his first appearance when Catwoman hits him in the nuts with her whip.

Also:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 19, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Wasn't he briefly mentioned all of once in one of the Arkham games? Like he didn't even get to show up, he was just a character bio you got for solving a Riddler thing

Yeah he was a bio in Asylum. Asylum namedropped a shitload of characters in the bio section because they figured "hey why not" and I guess they didn't think they'd get a sequel.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Prometheus is "Batman can beat anyone with prep time" told as a joke. He's brought onto the JLA base as part of a press event. The punchline is him not being able to predict that Catwoman would use the event for her own reasons, and gets whipped in the dick. I'm sure there's people out there who took him at face value, and saw him as a super bad rear end that shouldn't have been emasculated by Catwoman.

EDIT: His second appearence he's made a joke again. And in JLA/Avengers he's used to show how good Cap is. Similarly Cap/Prometheus and the first Batman/Prometheus fight were both off panel.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 19, 2015

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

Morrison made Prometheus for his run on JLA. Prometheus is one character in a long succession of writers going "I've got a great idea: Batman, but evil!"

In that case, it was particularly a mirror of the JLA Batgod, the Batman who always has a plan to defeat everyone, given enough time

*cue Lurdiak whining about powerlevels, i guess*

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

'Given enough time' is always interpreted by writers as 'he's already invented some kind of techno-doodad that he keeps on him at all times that magically beats everyone." I do think Batman is the kind of guy who would make plans to take out the Justice League, though. "Prep time" is a tired joke at this point but he's a paranoid weirdo. I feel like the members of the Justice League who really know him wouldn't be surprised or even offended that Batman had worked out how to disable them if they ever got mind-controlled or whatever.

Like I bet Batman has three or four contingency plans to take himself out, should the need arise. Probably broadcasting on a continuous loop on an ultrasonic frequency that only Superman can hear. Just in case.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

Prometheus is "Batman can beat anyone with prep time" told as a joke. He's brought onto the JLA base as part of a press event. The punchline is him not being able to predict that Catwoman would use the event for her own reasons, and gets whipped in the dick. I'm sure there's people out there who took him at face value, and saw him as a super bad rear end that shouldn't have been emasculated by Catwoman.

EDIT: His second appearence he's made a joke again. And in JLA/Avengers he's used to show how good Cap is. Similarly Cap/Prometheus and the first Batman/Prometheus fight were both off panel.

The of course in Cry For Justice he's played straight, and is able to stymie the entire League (including J'onn and Zatana) from reading his mind or stopping him from blowing up Star City.

Then we're supposed to think that Green Arrow killing him was somehow bad.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Travis343 posted:

'Given enough time' is always interpreted by writers as 'he's already invented some kind of techno-doodad that he keeps on him at all times that magically beats everyone." I do think Batman is the kind of guy who would make plans to take out the Justice League, though. "Prep time" is a tired joke at this point but he's a paranoid weirdo. I feel like the members of the Justice League who really know him wouldn't be surprised or even offended that Batman had worked out how to disable them if they ever got mind-controlled or whatever.

Like I bet Batman has three or four contingency plans to take himself out, should the need arise. Probably broadcasting on a continuous loop on an ultrasonic frequency that only Superman can hear. Just in case.

In the Tower of Babel storyline the justice league gets taken out by normal goons because they compromised the batcave and stole batman's backup plans on how to take out mind controlled/rogue justice league members. He gets kicked out of the clubhouse for a while because of that.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Goffer posted:

In the Tower of Babel storyline the justice league gets taken out by normal goons because they compromised the batcave and stole batman's backup plans on how to take out mind controlled/rogue justice league members. He gets kicked out of the clubhouse for a while because of that.

Which I always found a little funny because he's the one who paid to build said 'clubhouse' in the firstplace :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Goffer posted:

It's their own fault for not coming up with their own counter-plans.