Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Last time I updated my drivers was last week going from 331.x and 15 fps in witcher to what ever is out now and 60+ fps 1080p 8x AA 8x anisotropic everything on high. I honestly thought I was gonna have to upgrade my 680 sli for a bit there. It's only got 2 gigs of ram!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

repiv posted:

353.51 appears to be a leaked internal beta not meant for general consumption, it even has "NDA" in the filename. I wouldn't touch it unless you have a really good reason.
Okay I will take that advice. Word around the campfire is that the 353.38s are the best and they're downloading at 1MB/sec rather than the dismal 30k/sec the leaked release was.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

fuckpot posted:

Also for some reason GTA V has started running at 25fps down from 90ish
That's normal after the latest GTA V patch. It's not your system.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
There was something in the news section on Steam that I read about. It was fine though and changed mid-game. Pretty much unplayable at 25fps so I hope they fix it soon.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

fuckpot posted:

Is it best to always have the latest beta NVIDIA drivers the same way it was always best to have the latest AMD ones, or should I stick with stable?
To answer your original question, it's fine to use stable drivers on nVidia cards because they're relatively recent, you can't use stable drivers on AMD cards because they're too old. Note that if you use a Kepler-based card (GTX 600/700 series except 750) then you should NOT use recent beta drivers as they do not include the performance fixes for Kepler GPUs (unless they released one that includes them, last I saw 353.06 was the latest Kepler driver). It's not generally recommended to install Geforce Experience (or Raptr on AMD cards).

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
AMD has released stable drivers a few weeks ago.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Alereon posted:

To answer your original question, it's fine to use stable drivers on nVidia cards because they're relatively recent, you can't use stable drivers on AMD cards because they're too old. Note that if you use a Kepler-based card (GTX 600/700 series except 750) then you should NOT use recent beta drivers as they do not include the performance fixes for Kepler GPUs (unless they released one that includes them, last I saw 353.06 was the latest Kepler driver). It's not generally recommended to install Geforce Experience (or Raptr on AMD cards).

Nvidia is delivering sli profiles via gf experience now.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Riso posted:

AMD has released stable drivers a few weeks ago.
It's been a rule to use Beta drivers for years now because of the extreme age of AMD's release drivers. While right now Catalyst 15.7 WHQL is current, the way it would typically work is that the new WHQLs would be older than the previous betas. So if AMD releases a new WHQL driver it typically won't contain the fixes incorporated into the previous beta driver, so if you use WHQL drivers you're essentially stuck with brokenness for an additional two releases.

Don Lapre posted:

Nvidia is delivering sli profiles via gf experience now.
I'm pretty sure SLI profiles are delivered via the driver update and Geforce Experience is only used for out-of-band updates for new games between driver releases. It would make sense that SLI users might want to keep it installed for that reason, but for single-card users it seems like nothing but trouble.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Alereon posted:

Huh, did not know that. Thought Raptr was just an alternative to a regular auto-updater. Guess it’s not important now. :p

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Just curious, what are y'alls 970 idle temps like?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
38C per Afterburner. MSI reference cooler, case open because it's half broke and I'm lazy. :v:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

42c at 0rpm on an MSI 4G

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

30 C on a G1 gaming.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Hm, I think I need to rearrange my case fans. I've been meaning to anyway, but I was spoiled by my 7950 idling at 33 (with fans on at idle). My MSI 100ME is at 50 right now (with fans at 0%).

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 19, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
50* with 0% fans is not particularly unusual if I recall. There is no real advantage for a super low idle temp

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Wait, you can have 0RPM? My GPU's fan is always spinning afaik.
sidenote: I'm a total noob

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Space Racist posted:

46 degrees C on my Asus Strix @ 0 RPM

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I've been experimenting with NVIDIA Inspector and have found that an OC'd 980 Ti can handle a game like Dishonored at 3440x1440 with 4xMSAA and 4xSGSSAA without dropping below 60fps. It looks beautiful and is much nicer image quality than anything I could have achieved just using the in-game settings.

Has anyone come across a decent guide for using NVInspector to max out quality settings for older games where you have a lot of GPU to spare? I haven't played around with DSR yet, would that be a good alternative to just cranking AA way up?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
It's kind of an unfair comparison without ambient case and room temperatures.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Space Racist posted:

33 C Asus Strix cooler. Pretty good imo. (Florida, 23-24ish celsius inside 'cause AC)

edit: Huh, surprised that's the temp it with 0rpm fan speed too unless GPU-Z is lying to me.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 19, 2015

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Parker Lewis posted:

I've been experimenting with NVIDIA Inspector and have found that an OC'd 980 Ti can handle a game like Dishonored at 3440x1440 with 4xMSAA and 4xSGSSAA without dropping below 60fps. It looks beautiful and is much nicer image quality than anything I could have achieved just using the in-game settings.

Has anyone come across a decent guide for using NVInspector to max out quality settings for older games where you have a lot of GPU to spare? I haven't played around with DSR yet, would that be a good alternative to just cranking AA way up?

For what I've heard, DSR is much more blurry than a simple custom monitor resolution. I'd have to check for myself though.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

sout posted:

Wait, you can have 0RPM? My GPU's fan is always spinning afaik.
sidenote: I'm a total noob

Only some of the newer GPU's with custom coolers like ASUS Strix and MSI Gaming. What kind of card do you have?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

For what I've heard, DSR is much more blurry than a simple custom monitor resolution. I'd have to check for myself though.

Can be. Running 4x with no blur isn't bad, but other resolutions or running a damned gaussian blur on your game is suboptimal.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Bleh Maestro posted:

Only some of the newer GPU's with custom coolers like ASUS Strix and MSI Gaming. What kind of card do you have?

A 7870, I think with Powercolor casing or something like that. Pretty sure the card would cook itself without that fan spinning, I also don't have watercooling though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

xthetenth posted:

30 C on a G1 gaming.

Same with the same card. Occasionally dips to 28-29C, but it's really warm today so the ambient's up a bit.

Had a harrowing 20 minutes prior to typing this. Came in and turned on my monitor to find myself locked in 640x480 - no matter what I tried, I was locked into 640x480. Typing "locked in 640x480 resolution" into Google came up with a ton of Linux/Ubuntu pages, but very few Windows-related pages. I finally happened upon one page that said "it's probably your DVI cable" and remembered that a few months back I powered on my monitor and it was like everything was in 'pastel' colors (a reboot fixed that), and a few months before that, my monitor went black and the only thing that fixed it was unplugging and re-plugging the Displayport cable (which at this point is about 3 1/2 years old).

So TL;DR: I changed out the DP cable with the spare I had on hand and for good measure upgraded from my 'ancient' 347.09s to the 352.94 iCafe drivers and everything's peachy again. :v:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 19, 2015

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Mine's currently idling at 50. My room is about 27 though, it's pretty warm. I don't mind high idle temps, the fans spin up when they need to. I have the Gigabyte 970

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Mine idles at around 42-44 but it's a particularly ancient case (Centurion 5) with loads of cables and not great airflow.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

1080p blown up to 300%

Custom monitor res of 3264x1836 blown up 200%

DSR 3x (3325x1871) blown up 200%

3 areas of interest. His arm, the water wheel's cross beams, and the thatch. With DSR, his arm looks just as good, the cross beams looks a tiinnnny bit worse, and the thatch is blurred (using 33% setting) All tests done with no AA at all.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 19, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Same with the same card. Occasionally dips to 28-29C, but it's really warm today so the ambient's up a bit.

Had a harrowing 20 minutes prior to typing this. Came in and turned on my monitor to find myself locked in 640x480 - no matter what I tried, I was locked into 640x480. Typing "locked in 640x480 resolution" into Google came up with a ton of Linux/Ubuntu pages, but very few Windows-related pages. I finally happened upon one page that said "it's probably your DVI cable" and remembered that a few months back I powered on my monitor and it was like everything was in 'pastel' colors (a reboot fixed that), and a few months before that, my monitor went black and the only thing that fixed it was unplugging and re-plugging the Displayport cable (which at this point is about 3 1/2 years old).

So TL;DR: I changed out the DP cable with the spare I had on hand and for good measure upgraded from my 'ancient' 347.09s to the 352.94 iCafe drivers and everything's peachy again. :v:

I ended up on a long call with Logitech support because my mouse was acting crazy, it's wireless and it came with an extension cable for the wireless dongle, turned out that it was that cable after two hours of troubleshooting. :ughh:

Always check cables, it's the last thing you think of and they cause problems surprisingly frequently.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Personal preference but I found that reducing the amount of blur very slightly on DSR to be very helpful. I usually leave it at 29% and seems to be enough to minimize aliasing without smearing everything. I found this by setting my desktop to 4x and adjusting blur until the text looks right.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I ended up on a long call with Logitech support because my mouse was acting crazy, it's wireless and it came with an extension cable for the wireless dongle, turned out that it was that cable after two hours of troubleshooting. :ughh:

Always check cables, it's the last thing you think of and they cause problems surprisingly frequently.

The saddest part about this is that the page I found the 'solution' on was a guy whose HP desktop had been acting up to the point where he'd sent it back to get the *motherboard* changed out to no avail, then he decided on a lark to change the DVI cable and ~voila~.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I haven't had that problem with DVI but have seen many, many failed DisplayPort cables at work - the cheap ones (which for some reason they insist on buying) literally fall apart after a year or so of use.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

dissss posted:

I haven't had that problem with DVI but have seen many, many failed DisplayPort cables at work - the cheap ones (which for some reason they insist on buying) literally fall apart after a year or so of use.

Yeah. I haven't had a whole lot of issue with DVI even cheap DVI, but holy cow I've seen every other flavor cause all sorts of problems and poo poo themselves. Displayport is definitely in that group, along with hdmi, and vga.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

dissss posted:

The DisplayPort cable that came with my Dell monitor recently failed after about a year of use. Haven't touched it since it was installed. It would only display 640x480 and I thought it was a weird driver or graphics card problem. I ended up swapping the graphics card into another computer before trying the cable. Welp.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Space Racist posted:

Well poo poo, my MSI 970 4G is idling at around 58°C, resulting in short bursts of fan activity - it spins up for 2-3 seconds, than stops again for 5-6 seconds. That can't be good for the fans in the long run, right?

Am I better off setting the fans to spin at 25% constantly, which takes the card down to 45°C idle or leave it on auto and have them spin up/down all the time?

I already took some time for some superficial dusting, will check the card thoroughly tomorrow.
55°C+ when idle seems unusual.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 19, 2015

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
If you know what you're doing. I would recommend taking off the cooler and reapplying thermal compound.

Edit: That is after you know it's not a case air flow issue by taking off the side panel and checking temps.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

mcbexx posted:

Well poo poo, my MSI 970 4G is idling at around 58°C, resulting in short bursts of fan activity - it spins up for 2-3 seconds, than stops again for 5-6 seconds. That can't be good for the fans in the long run, right?

Am I better off setting the fans to spin at 25% constantly, which takes the card down to 45°C idle or leave it on auto and have them spin up/down all the time?

I already took some time for some superficial dusting, will check the card thoroughly tomorrow.

Are you running multiple displays, even worse with mixed refresh rates?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
670 and after should have no problem clocking down the GPU when you have mixed resolution/refresh rates.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

mcbexx posted:

Is it actually idle or are you running a bitcoin miner without your knowledge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Multiple displays and an NV card is a great reason to make sure the card clocks down right with GPU-Z or something. If it doesn't, NVIDIA inspector has a tool to fix that that works great.

I did have that issue with my 970. Any idea what the situation is with AMD cards?

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 19, 2015