Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

The Pitt's environment design is great, you walk into the blast furnace and it actually feels hot and oppressive. The whole dlc has this good grungy feel that I love. Not a huge fan of the main plot, I think it's even more one-sided than HH but eh.

But my biggest complaint is that I wish it were bigger. More arena fights, more relevant NPCs (the various named raiders own), actual sidequests, more steel ingots. Hell make the whole thing the size of Point Lookout. Let me run around on catwalks and smokestacks for days.

Ah well, I guess they could do a "Return to the Pitt" dlc in fo4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
The FO3 DLCs feel extremely lacking compared to other Bethesda DLCs from their other series, like Dawnguard, Dragonborn and Shivering Isles. I think Point Lookout got it the closest, while The Pitt had great atmosphere, but a complete lack of content sort of hurts.

I still cannot fathom how they thought Mothership Zeta was a good idea. It's boring samey corridors filled with two types of uninteresting enemy (even Anchorage had the guys who went invisible, and the two giant tanks), very little in the way of loot, no real benefit to exploration aside from the alien logs. I guess the only upside would be that the characters you interacted with were okay by FO3 standards.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah, honesty the Pitt nails the aesthetic so much better than anything else in F3 it's a shame that it's as short as it is. I actually liked that the 'evil' choice was the right one, though. It's the closest thing to a self-sustaining industrialized society we see in F3, and it's actually debatable whether or not such a thing is worth a few decades of forced labor (when the alternative is another lovely ruin being picked over by scavengers like the Capital Wasteland).

It also has the best Mad Max-style post-apoc raider gear in both games. Of all the assets NV reused it's a shame they didn't throw those armors in with the generic raider stuff the fiends were wearing.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

The cut down leather armor looks cool as hell, and the unique version you get with ingots is about as good as Combat Armor. Too bad it breaks in a stiff breeze.

Also, I know Ashur keeps saying that the whole slavery thing is temporary, but I don't think the raiders would agree. After all they're living pretty cushy lives thanks to that slave labor, why the hell would they give that up? And at the end of the day, he's just one dude in hosed up power armor vs. a whole bunch of Mad Max extras. And if he armed the slaves to fight the raiders or something, there's a good chance they'd kill him too. I mean, if a guy who enslaved me in a shithole like the Pitt handed me a gun, I know he'd be the first person I'd shoot.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

NotALizardman posted:

Also, I know Ashur keeps saying that the whole slavery thing is temporary, but I don't think the raiders would agree. After all they're living pretty cushy lives thanks to that slave labor, why the hell would they give that up? And at the end of the day, he's just one dude in hosed up power armor vs. a whole bunch of Mad Max extras. And if he armed the slaves to fight the raiders or something, there's a good chance they'd kill him too. I mean, if a guy who enslaved me in a shithole like the Pitt handed me a gun, I know he'd be the first person I'd shoot.

Which does make siding with Ashur in-game pretty appealing, since that reign won't last after the cure is found. It never seemed like the slaves were properly equipped to stage a revolt when the player visits. Also you don't have to kidnap babies.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I never talked to any of the named Pitt raiders because I killed the first one I could, took his stuff and hit behind the first open door I could find (Midea's apartment) then killed them one by one as they followed me in. Rule 1 of Fallout: No questions asked, slavers die. I can't play any other way.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Wolfsheim posted:

It also has the best Mad Max-style post-apoc raider gear in both games. Of all the assets NV reused it's a shame they didn't throw those armors in with the generic raider stuff the fiends were wearing.

Actually I'm pretty sure Reinforced Metal Armor uses the same model as the Gamma Shield Armor from The Pitt.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tokelau All Star posted:

I never talked to any of the named Pitt raiders because I killed the first one I could, took his stuff and hit behind the first open door I could find (Midea's apartment) then killed them one by one as they followed me in. Rule 1 of Fallout: No questions asked, slavers die. I can't play any other way.

Hey, they all die eventually if you side with the slaves anyway. It's part of what makes the choice sit ill at ease: you have to take a child away from its loving parents to a lovely hole where it's seen as a science experiment first and a person second, and then you have to unleash horrible zombies on those parents who at least MEAN well. And that's the good choice! Siding with the Slavers is no better, because no amount of CHA and Speech will convince the man to stop using slave labor for the "greater good".

I just wish the area didn't have such terrible memory leaks. I swear I must have crashed 30 times.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Man, what? Apparently, because I took the smarter route when interrogating Silus, I don't get to tell people that Caesar is sick? That is some BS. Is there some kinda save editor I can use to flip that switch? I wanna get the best ending to Return to Sender.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp

Lurdiak posted:

Man, what? Apparently, because I took the smarter route when interrogating Silus, I don't get to tell people that Caesar is sick? That is some BS. Is there some kinda save editor I can use to flip that switch? I wanna get the best ending to Return to Sender.

Well, there is one more option: gently caress waiting for cancer, take out Caeser yourself. :black101:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I finished OWB and literally did everything possible in that. Though Its kinda annoying if you upgrade the cyberdog gun with its mods, then turn it into fido. You lose the mods and can't buy them again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hmmm. I just went to talk to Mr. House and he made me give him a platinum chip, which I did not have on me, to him, and used it to upgrade his securitrons. Should I be reloading a previous save if I don't plan to side with him in the end?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Hmmm. I just went to talk to Mr. House and he made me give him a platinum chip, which I did not have on me, to him, and used it to upgrade his securitrons. Should I be reloading a previous save if I don't plan to side with him in the end?

It doesn't matter.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

You can stab House in the back at pretty much any point during his questline. You will also be notified when you're about to be locked out the other factions' questlines.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Well, there is one more option: gently caress waiting for cancer, take out Caeser yourself. :black101:

This is the correct answer. :commissar:

Lurdiak posted:

Should I be reloading a previous save if I don't plan to side with him in the end?

You'll be able to run almost to the end of the game before committing to one of the main storylines, and the longer you delay, the more you can set things up to give the best endings.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I always gib the poo poo out of Caeser and then scream MCNUTTY SENDS HIS REGARDS!!!!!!!

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Gyshall posted:

I always gib the poo poo out of Caeser and then scream JOSHUA SENDS HIS REGARDS!!!!!!!

fixed to be more applicable to me.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I started my current play through intending to use guns and explosives. I hit OWB and that's not cutting it (didn't bring enough bombs). Most of the skillsi want use and plenty high so I'm thinking about picking up energy or melee weapons.

I always use energy when I play FO games, but this proton axe and saturite fist in OWB are pretty rad. Are there any really cool energy weapons to pick up in OWB? I'm really torn on this decision. My ammo seems to always be tight, I have thousands of energy ammo stockpiled, but melee doesn't use any ammo. Can anyone make a case for energy or melee? My general play style is moving quickly with fast weapon swap and skills that boost bullet time.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

twistedmentat posted:

I finished OWB and literally did everything possible in that. Though Its kinda annoying if you upgrade the cyberdog gun with its mods, then turn it into fido. You lose the mods and can't buy them again.

There should be a second Cyberdog gun in X-12. You can upgrade that one to FIDO and mod the one you get at the start of OWB, or vice versa.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Or, if you're like me, you can use one to repair the other and not notice till like an hour later :downs:

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

Are there any really cool energy weapons to pick up in OWB?

Elijah's LAER is one of the best energy weapons in the game. Just make sure you have plenty of repair kits.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I think if you wait for the Sink store to reset you can buy the cyberdog mods again.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Garrand posted:

Or, if you're like me, you can use one to repair the other and not notice till like an hour later :downs:

That's what I did as well.

I love the LAER, but it can only fire about 6 shots before its below optimal quality.

Bremen posted:

I think if you wait for the Sink store to reset you can buy the cyberdog mods again.

That's good!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wildtortilla posted:

I always use energy when I play FO games, but this proton axe and saturite fist in OWB are pretty rad.
You can superheat the saturnite fist in the forges. Not quite as fast, has less durability, and requires more skill/ST, but is much more powerful (90.8 dps + bonus flame damage vs. 63).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jesus christ, repairing equipment should not be this expensive. 9000 goddamn caps.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Thats why you go for the Jury Rigging Perk and buy/loot cheap guns to repair the expensive unique guns.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Elijah's LAER is awesome but yeah it degrades quickly. Use it to battle the X-42 Robo-Scorpion the fun way!

If anyone is tired of the main game + dlcs I highly recommend New Vegas Bounties I and II. II adds some pretty sweet new areas to battle through and makes use of existing areas well that didn't play a role in the main game. Crashes a lot on fast travel though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Jury Rigging is literally the most overpowered perk, and will lead you to having more cash than the rest of the two wastelands combined,

The other most overpowered perk is "Them's Good Eating" aka "each body spawns several hundred caps of free loot"

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

gently caress repairing things anyway, so annoying :argh:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

LionYeti posted:

Thats why you go for the Jury Rigging Perk and buy/loot cheap guns to repair the expensive unique guns.

And if that's not enough, the excellent (goon-made?) Signature Armour/Weapons mod lets you repair items with scrap.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

frajaq posted:

gently caress repairing things anyway, so annoying :argh:

I'm too autistic to tolerate un-rapired items.

Sadly the game is broken and unable to stack manually repaired items properly.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Pick up high level weapons off dead legion hit squads, use free weapon repair kits from the sierra madre bunker, swim in caps. You can make like 15000+ from each hit squad.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah if you aren't planning on putting points in repair, blowing all your winnings from the Sierra Madre on a thousand WRKs is a good investment.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Alain Post posted:

Yeah if you aren't planning on putting points in repair, blowing all your winnings from the Sierra Madre on a thousand WRKs is a good investment.

I've never liked that whole getting tons of money from the end of dead money thing. It goes against one of the main themes of the dlc which is, you can't have everything and even if you try you will hurt yourself or the people you care about.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Killing Caesar's always a good test of your character's mettle, apparently his tent entourage contains just enough people to pose a challenge to the average Courier. Not that great of a challenge, but I typically die on a first attempt and have to reload and prepare myself the next time.

So the Courier's about as tough and deadly as eight fully-trained soldiers with Ballistic Fists.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Alain Post posted:

blowing all your winnings from the Sierra Madre
Your winnings should be literally infinite. There's no way of blowing them on something.

The gold bars in the vault are a pittance compared to the miracle of the complementary voucher.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

I started my current play through intending to use guns and explosives. I hit OWB and that's not cutting it (didn't bring enough bombs). Most of the skillsi want use and plenty high so I'm thinking about picking up energy or melee weapons.

I always use energy when I play FO games, but this proton axe and saturite fist in OWB are pretty rad. Are there any really cool energy weapons to pick up in OWB? I'm really torn on this decision. My ammo seems to always be tight, I have thousands of energy ammo stockpiled, but melee doesn't use any ammo. Can anyone make a case for energy or melee? My general play style is moving quickly with fast weapon swap and skills that boost bullet time.

Mad bomber, mfc grenades.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

steinrokkan posted:

Your winnings should be literally infinite. There's no way of blowing them on something.

The gold bars in the vault are a pittance compared to the miracle of the complementary voucher.

it's not the base game, but jsawyer (which I use) does nerf the voucher pretty hard IIRC.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Alain Post posted:

it's not the base game, but jsawyer (which I use) does nerf the voucher pretty hard IIRC.

Yeah you only get 125 chips instead of the 1000 chip voucher...which isn't really that bad considering you can literally craft Sierra madre chips with common components and you can still exchange clothes and cigarettes for chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
1000? I thought it was 200, that's what I get from it unless that's either due to a mod or I messed something up during my latest playthrough of DM.