Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

NarkyBark posted:

Thrones would be an awesome series to watch someone go through and review, but I would just assume everyone's seen it by now

I haven't watched a single episode of Game of Thrones, mostly because I read the first three books and decided it wasn't for me.

God, Listen is so atmospheric, I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

jng2058 posted:

I'd like to take this moment to recommend Babylon 5.

It's true that there is a lot to love, and a whole lot more to hate, about Babylon 5. It does kind of fit Occ's description of what he wants perfectly. Farscape has probably the opposite ratio, and it's done with more competence.

I'll say that Farscape does get goofy a lot, which Occ, you'll love, but it does goofy mostly on purpose, like Who. Babylon 5 was terribly serious about itself (it kind of had to be, it was up against then-juggernaut Star Trek), and its goofiness is mostly by accident.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Fringe would be fun too.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

computer parts posted:

Fringe would be fun too.

This.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

NarkyBark posted:

Thrones would be an awesome series to watch someone go through and review, but I would just assume everyone's seen it by now

I saw the first episode and loathed it, and that was the only episode I watched. So no, not everyone.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If you're looking for sci-fi, watch Earth: Final Conflict.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

computer parts posted:

Fringe would be fun too.

Walter Bishop is one of the greatest characters in the past decade across all media.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

computer parts posted:

Fringe would be fun too.

He asked for a not great show

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

ashpanash posted:

It's true that there is a lot to love, and a whole lot more to hate, about Babylon 5. It does kind of fit Occ's description of what he wants perfectly. Farscape has probably the opposite ratio, and it's done with more competence.

I'll say that Farscape does get goofy a lot, which Occ, you'll love, but it does goofy mostly on purpose, like Who. Babylon 5 was terribly serious about itself (it kind of had to be, it was up against then-juggernaut Star Trek), and its goofiness is mostly by accident.

A rough analogy in the context of this thread would be: B5 has more in common with Moffat in that it's planning ahead and has a habit of focusing on plot over character; it's also got a lower budget and a larger main cast than Moffat has had to deal with. Farscape is more like RTD in that it tends to aim big and emotional and it does a lot of wacky poo poo which sometimes pays off.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
If we're doing show watching suggestions, then instead of which sci-fi I want you to watch, there are loads of who-related but thematically and people linked branches. It helps that British TV series tend to be short seasons(ich), few episodes, with not too many people involved. I know that at the same time you get the everybody has been in everything scenario (imdb cast who have appeared in both doctor who and casualty or something) but there are definate strands you can mine out.

Pretty sure we got some shout outs from Malcom Tucker (Peter Capaldi, Oatptdwhaa*) from In the Loop earlier in the thread. This means that The Thick of It is a much watch. Traversing the talent branches neatly brings us into Veep (Americanized Thick of It via In the loop but still with the wonderful Iannucci in charge) just in case you are fed up of British people.

Worth noting that a few of Veep's episodes are directed by one Chris Morris, (who has worked a lot with Iannucci on all sorts of stuff) is a nice way back to another show Toxx bought up at one point. Morris co-created a show called Nathan Barley with Charlie Brooker, who went on to create Black Mirror. Other related shows: Screen/NewsWipe, Brass eye, The Day Today, anything Alan Partridge and the brilliant film Four Lions.

There's more related to the above, but it would just turn into a list. All the above shows are linked thematically to each other, they are all somehow about the relationships between the media and power, the media and the people on the screen, the media and celebrities or the media and us. Mainly the media is television. Because they are TV shows. Although more than one started as a radio show.

There are a few other branches worth exploring. Life on Mars** (starring John Simm) even has a time traveling element and was co-created by Fear Her/Flesh-2-part writer Matthew Graham (also it's really good). Writing episodes for Life on Mars was also Chris Chibnall***, who was put in charge of Torchwood and must be one of the most prolific who writers outside of the show-runners (note, just checke, prolific!=quality).

Chibnall went on to create Broardchurch (starring Tennant, Rory, loads) which has a brilliant first season, second a bit meh, but everybody still wants to know where the third will go.

Oops I forgot Ashes to Ashes the sequel series to Life on Mars. Not quite as good but still fantastic and wraps stuff up. Same creators.

I'm sure there are loads more examples for this strand of link off, but these are the obvious ones. Character driven stories with loads of interaction. Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes on first glance come across more modernwho in that they have long character arcs but with individual plots each episode. Broardchurch, especially s1, is effectively the same, but with who's the main suspect this week. Anyway, both worth watching.

One last imaginary tree limb.

Mark Gatiss. Not going the Sherlock (co-created with Moff) route, instead jumping down the League of Gentlemen rabbit hole (3 series, one film). The league of Gentlemen is a brilliant small cast, many characters, sort of sketch show, but not really, dark comedy. Maybe it goes a bit far up it's own rear end by the end. Worth mentioning are the shows his LoG colleagues ended up creating once he got to involved in Sherlock/Who.

Pychoville and Inside No 9 are fantastic Dark Comedy pieces.

Pychoville is a tragedy dark comedy led over ridiculous circumstances to get everybody together in an almost farcical manner. Mixing the character development, a theme of mental illness, but still the supernatural together brilliantly.

No9 are sets of self contained dark comedy episodes done in very different styles, almost similar to Black Mirror in keeping to a theme of sorts, but a very different premise. Whilst Black Mirror looks at how technology affects the human condition, No9 looks at how humans react to weird poo poo going down.

No9 an Pychoville also like to experiment with the style a lot. Pychoville has an episode which appears to have been done in one take, like a stage play**** (guest-starring Mark Gatiss). Inside No9 does an entire silent episode. Well sort of.

And That's all I've got time for.

*Only Actor to Play the Doctor Who has Academy Award.

** There was an American remake that nobody ever talks about.

*** I've forgotten what I was going to say about Chinballs

****Inspired by Alfred Hitchcock's Rope

Notes:
1) Could have probably stuck in a reference to Jesse Armstrong and Sam Baines in the first bit, leading to Peep Show. Which fits fairly well.

2) far too much writing already.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

classic science fiction beloved by millions everywhere?

occ plz review dexter's lab

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Enourmo posted:

classic science fiction beloved by millions everywhere?

occ plz review dexter's lab

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21l5i7_dexter-s-rude-removal-1998-uncensored-version_shortfilms

:nws:

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
https://youtu.be/MEWJTC6SquI

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Zaggitz posted:

All 11 seasons of Supernatural. :getin:

This, unironically

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Silhouette posted:

This, unironically

Yeah, all five seasons of Supernatural were pretty great, and what an ending!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I would second a suggestion for Supernatural, given that it is 10 seasons of an hour long show with 22 episodes for all seasons but 3, with 16 :getin:

It also has some very emotional moments that fall apart is pure bullshit because of behind-the-scenes explanations on why some characters were killed.

It'd be worth it alone for toxx to eventually slowly realize that TOXX STOP READIN Sam has the Dick of Death

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Regy Rusty posted:

He really really hates Hannibal

huh. Now that you mention it, I think I do remember him dropping into the Hannibal thread, making GBS threads out a wildly incoherent hate torrent, and getting shooed out of the thread by a mod. Or it may have been a different show's thread. Or multiple show threads?
oh wait lol it was Gravity Falls. siiiiiiiiiiigh.

also Toxx should absolutely not watch Supernatural. Only scattered episodes in the first three seasons and most of 4 and 5 are good. I quit at the end of 5 because I've heard it goes downhill, aside from a few good comedy episodes. also, Supernatural does not really deserve a Toxx rant. hmmm. What does? omg TOXX DO DEXTER. lmao.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Spatula City posted:

Now that you mention it, I think I do remember him dropping into _________________, making GBS threads out a wildly incoherent hate torrent, and getting shooed out of the thread by a mod. Or it may have been a different show's thread. Or multiple show threads?

gonna have to be more specific there bud

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Babylon 5 is a proper show to lovehate watch
Terrible-to-good costumes, dated FX, idiotic JMS storylines, good JMS episodes, motherfucking Londo, Neil Gaiman for an episode...

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Supernatural is the only logical place to go after Doctor Who.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Now, let me tell you about a little thing called the Omegaverse... :v:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

All of the Brian Fuller shows (I haven't seen Hannibal so I can't speak for that) fit the bill. They all sort of stumble to their feet and just as they're finding their place, decide to go completely off the rails, and then they get canceled.

Don't you dare speak of Pushing Daisies like that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SirSamVimes posted:

Supernatural is the only logical place to go after Doctor Who.

Superwholock?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Sherlock could be fun as it's rather morsel sized rather than the war and peace length shows y'all are recommending.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Hannibal is basically its own Tumblr slashfic. But in a good way.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Stormgale posted:

Sherlock could be fun as it's rather morsel sized rather than the war and peace length shows y'all are recommending.

Good point. It is tiny.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
otoh I've sort of had my fill of toxx lovingly slobbering over moffat's schlong and maybe he should get a new dong to doodle

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Occ none of these suggestions are better than Glee so just stick with Glee

OR Sherlock because I'd love to see your reaction to it totally going off the loving rails in the latest season.

Also while I skimmed over that huge post trying to get you to watch every British show under the freaking sun, you should watch The League of Gentlemen. It's one of the best dark comedy shows ever and it will provide some context to Gatiss hate because he is clearly, clearly capable of so much more than we get from him.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Toxxupation posted:

i'm p certain i know what it is but i'm willin to take suggestions

i'd like a show that is not great or amazing but also isn't super bad, esp boringly bad

BSF, Babylon 5, and Fringe are all great suggestions IMO. But I'd like to throw Dollhouse in there. It's a quick two seasons.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Farscape, because even if you don't review it I think you would like it a lot. Better-written RTD Who.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Burkion posted:

All of the Godzilla movies

This, or alternatively every Ultra series to celebrate Ultraman's 50th anniversary next year. Let's get some Kaiju up in this thread.

I mean a selfless alien who defends earth from destruction on a regular basis? Practically the same show.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Life on Mars is clearly the correct answer. There's not too much of it and it is both fantastic and terrible, depending.

e: also the main character is partly named after Rose

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

HopperUK posted:

Life on Mars is clearly the correct answer. There's not too much of it and it is both fantastic and terrible, depending.

Conveniently, every review can be replaced with clips of Philip Glennister insulting people

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

We could also have you watch the American House of Cards show. All on Netflix.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

HopperUK posted:

Also the main character is played by RTD's Master but good. And Jackie is in it as a prozzie. It's fantastic.
It's a shame it kind needs Ashes to Ashes to complete the setting, but that's at least a decent second bite at the Life on Mars apple (even if it suffers a bit from sequelitis).

Still voting Farscape tho.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
go for farscape.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Grouchio posted:

We could also have you watch the British House of Cards show. All on Netflix.

ftfy

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Of course you could say that. I couldn't possibly comment :smug:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Find archival footage of the news, try to review it as a Who-style genre-hopping serial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
How about Eastenders? Shouldn’t take long for him to blow through it.

• Locked thread