Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I would give them the stink eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

amityville anus posted:

The ol' amityville anus, as they say.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

amityville anus posted:

The Forrest Whitaker.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

Wolfenstein: The New Order is a loving gorgeous game but they give almost all of the male heroes big wet eyes that are just a little bit too big and expressive for their own good. Having BJ Blazkowicz be a hunky he-man lantern-jawed Nazi killer who always looks on the verge of bursting into tears in every other cutscene comes off as a bit silly.

Anime BJ Blazkowicz is my favorite Blazkowicz

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What was dragging down FFXIV for me was that in order to get to do any of the new Heavansward content, you first have to play through all the Main Story Quest missions. Now if you had been playing for a while, this was no problem-you'd have already done the first MSQs to get to the initial end game, and subsequent story quests were done as the patches came out. But for a new player like myself, playing all of those quests back-to-back meant that the game was dumping a tsunami of plot on you, and it got to be exhausting by the end. It's like if you were watching Game of Thrones for the first time but due to some glitch in the DVR all you got to see were each season's finale.

My advice to any other new players: don't do what I did and pace yourself :shepface:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Trying to play Shogun 2 right now and it's REALLY maddening how 'autoresolve' might as well be labeled 'autolose'. Your army might be defending a fortress with a 4 star general and across the board higher quality troops and equipment and it'll still come out as a pyrrhic victory, if not a complete loss.

Goddamnit game, I don't want to play every single fight especially when fortress defenses are so goddamn easy and THE SAME THING EVERY TIME.

Even worse is naval combat which is a total slog. But if you autoresolve and your fleet isn't completely 100% healthy get ready to lose those ships to loving trading vessels. And it's not like you can ignore navy either since like 75% of your income will come from trade.

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Jul 17, 2015

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

SirPhoebos posted:

My advice to any other new players: don't do what I did and pace yourself :shepface:

Generally good advice for any MMO if the person playing actually wants to enjoy it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Persona 4 Golden is pretty fun but man there's a bunch of things I dislike.

Fusion is annoying, there's no list of what makes what. So if you need say, a Valkyrie and don't have any way to make it offhand, good luck.

It sucks that only the MC can change his persona, because leveling is really slow and trying to get 3 levels for all the spells a persona can learn is tedious as heck.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Anatharon posted:

Fusion is annoying, there's no list of what makes what. So if you need say, a Valkyrie and don't have any way to make it offhand, good luck.

It sucks that only the MC can change his persona, because leveling is really slow and trying to get 3 levels for all the spells a persona can learn is tedious as heck.

I'm pretty sure double and triple Fusion aren't based on what goes into the fusion, but the levels and Arcana of the things being fused. There are charts you can look up that go into detail on that, but basically the Arcana is determined by the Arcana of the component Personas, and the specific Persona they create is determined by their levels

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Anatharon posted:

There are charts on gamefaqs that give you an idea of what arcana mixes will give you what you want. It doesn't account for level, but its easy enough to vacuum up enough low tier personas to make most things.

Don't try to get a persona to learn everything through combat xp, you'll get most abilities from the initial fusion and bonuses. Its better to just mix them with another persona and get the abilities that way. Or spend a bunch on cards.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Anatharon posted:

You say that, but imagine micromanaging the growth of eight times the personas.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
God damnit, are installers on CDs that actually install the game ON THE DISK too much to ask?

I'm Australian, so I still buy PC games at retail sometimes due to lovely internet and usage limits. I picked up Pillars of Eternity earlier this month, though, and despite it having a disk, despite the game clearly being on the disk, instead had an installer that was nothing more than a trigger for Steam to download the game. All 20-something GB of it.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Cleretic posted:

God damnit, are installers on CDs that actually install the game ON THE DISK too much to ask?

I'm Australian, so I still buy PC games at retail sometimes due to lovely internet and usage limits. I picked up Pillars of Eternity earlier this month, though, and despite it having a disk, despite the game clearly being on the disk, instead had an installer that was nothing more than a trigger for Steam to download the game. All 20-something GB of it.

There's a lot of physical releases that are just the Steam key and a lot of, I can only assume, garbage data on the DVDs.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Thoughtless posted:

There's a lot of physical releases that are just the Steam key and a lot of, I can only assume, garbage data on the DVDs.

Which is supremely loving annoying even if you have decent internet with no limits. The whole reason I bought the physical disc is so I could just have the fuckin' thing, install it, and be done with it, rather than download the game for another day.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

If you unscramble the data on the disc, all you'll find is a 4K image of Trollface.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Thoughtless posted:

I checked Pillars of Eternity's disk, it does actually have the game on there. Which honestly only makes it more annoying, because they got so close. It's all there, but because of a minor fuckup by one guy somewhere along the line that effort was pointless. And they can't just patch it out, because it's the one bug that's in a place they can never get to.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

My backer physical disk is just the game and nothing else so it's pretty weird that the non-backer one is tied to steam. Have you tried popping the disk in and out again? Sometimes that will make it install properly from disk, it worked for me with Wolfenstein TNO.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
I bought Final Fantasy VII on the Playstation the day it was released, and while it was an exceptional game and all, I didn't really like the direction the series took wrt the character design. It deviated from the minimalist approach of its predecessors, and I believe it marked the beginning of the decline of the franchise. Though it was an alright game, i guess, its liberal revamping was obviously an added insult to the injury Square inflicted upon its most vital and integral staff, and even (especially) Nintendo. The worst part is this reckless abandon became a precedent for even greater deviations from the system-based improvements that made the series truly great, imho.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Anatharon posted:

Fusion's by arcana. Didn't you get a manual? It has a fusion chart for at least regular fusion. Valkyrie's a low-level Strength Persona so you just find what makes 'em.

Temperance and Magician's one combination. Apsaras + Orobas should make it, unless my math's wrong.

You're on the internet so you can gameFAQs it if you don't have a physical manual.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cleretic posted:

I checked Pillars of Eternity's disk, it does actually have the game on there. Which honestly only makes it more annoying, because they got so close. It's all there, but because of a minor fuckup by one guy somewhere along the line that effort was pointless. And they can't just patch it out, because it's the one bug that's in a place they can never get to.

I'm pretty sure there's some way to force Steam to install from disc, but I don't know the ins and outs of it.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

John Murdoch posted:

I'm pretty sure there's some way to force Steam to install from disc, but I don't know the ins and outs of it.

The Steam client is good and all, but having it open detracts from the immersive gaming experience my computer both craves, demands, and is entitled to.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cleretic posted:

What happens if you're not online when you try to install it? Does it kick over to "install from disk" at that point or just give you an error?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Randalor posted:

What happens if you're not online when you try to install it? Does it kick over to "install from disk" at that point or just give you an error?
Yeah, if it's installing through Steam it's fiddly as poo poo even if you have a physical disc in there and you're online.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Izumi Konata posted:

I bought Final Fantasy VII on the Playstation the day it was released, and while it was an exceptional game and all, I didn't really like the direction the series took wrt the character design. It deviated from the minimalist approach of its predecessors, and I believe it marked the beginning of the decline of the franchise. Though it was an alright game, i guess, its liberal revamping was obviously an added insult to the injury Square inflicted upon its most vital and integral staff, and even (especially) Nintendo. The worst part is this reckless abandon became a precedent for even greater deviations from the system-based improvements that made the series truly great, imho.

the early games had minimalist character designs because they were tiny sprites. have you ever seen the amano sketches of any of the pre-7 characters

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Anatharon posted:

If you know what arcana a persona is, you can get it by fusing next ones in that arcana's line. Alternately you can fuse three persona from the same arcana to get the next one in that line.

If you're not far enough in the game that it's easy for you to do this, then you're not at a point where having really good personas is important. Just fuse as you go when you feel like it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Alouicious posted:

the early games had minimalist character designs because they were tiny sprites. have you ever seen the amano sketches of any of the pre-7 characters

I get what you're saying, but isn't that kind of a moot point when A) most players don't know the Amano art exists, and B) the characters in game are what the player actually sees for 80 hours?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Lizard Wizard posted:

I get what you're saying, but isn't that kind of a moot point when A) most players don't know the Amano art exists, and B) the characters in game are what the player actually sees for 80 hours?

SNES-era RPGs were hardly 80-hour experiences.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

No, because they were in every instruction manual and show up as that character's model in later games which include old characters.

They've always wanted busy character designs and expected you to imagine the sprites to appear as the busy designs included in the manuals they expected you to read.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

man i wish they'd go back to the tasteful, minimalist character designs of final fantasy vi, the best final fantasy because it came out when i was 12

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Alouicious posted:

:thejoke: you dopey bastard.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

:thejoke: you dopey bastard.

yeah well it drew out lizard wizard to make an rear end of himself so i call it a win

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In Tales of Monkey Island there's a bit where you go underwater and you can let Guybrush sit there for as long as you want and he won't die. I mean, come on.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

They were more minimalist personality-wise at least. For most characters you didn't all that much beyond "he's the princes of a desert kingdom" or "he's a knight whose people were poisoned".

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Alouicious posted:

man i wish they'd go back to the tasteful, minimalist character designs of final fantasy vi, the best final fantasy because it came out when i was 12

Ahem.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

My Lovely Horse posted:

In Tales of Monkey Island there's a bit where you go underwater and you can let Guybrush sit there for as long as you want and he won't die. I mean, come on.

He does actually die after ten minutes! IIRC it's the only part in the entire series where he can die.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

poptart_fairy posted:

He does actually die after ten minutes! IIRC it's the only part in the entire series where he can die.

Clearly you are forgetting about where he falls off a cliff on Monkey Island.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Izumi Konata posted:

Lol, source your quotes

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Morpheus posted:

Clearly you are forgetting about where he falls off a cliff on Monkey Island.

Rubber tree. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

The Moon Monster posted:

They were more minimalist personality-wise at least. For most characters you didn't all that much beyond "he's the princes of a desert kingdom" or "he's a knight whose people were poisoned".

The part where Cyan is holed up in the cave writing letters to the dead soldier's girlfriend is insanely good, possibly the high water mark of all video game writing prior to the anime guy from Metal Gear loving his mom