Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

raditts posted:

Holy crap, I didn't know anyone else actually remembered Eerie, Indiana or that it was preserved in a way that people can still see it.

Eerie, indiana was my post-school afternoon delight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Babe Magnet posted:

I didn't see a thread for it, is anyone here watching The Brink? It's good, in my opinion

Zeke and Jammer are the best

Shakira! Shakira!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Same, I quite enjoyed the show when it originally aired.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

I didn't see a thread for it, is anyone here watching The Brink? It's good, in my opinion

In my opinion, it's bad. Doesn't particularly work as either a political satire or a zany comedy.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Sir Kodiak posted:

In my opinion, it's bad. Doesn't particularly work as either a political satire or a zany comedy.

This is the correct opinion.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That is a good and valid opinion, but still, I am enjoying the show.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I enjoy Brink, but owe that to not taking it too seriously, so I can see how someone wouldn't like it. It doesn't really hold up to scrutiny, but I laugh anyways.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I take it about as seriously as I do Ballers, it just produces less laughs (none as compared to one or two per episode), without having charm or charisma to coast on.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 20, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

The gradual decline of Joe Dante's career, from insane highs like Gremlins and The 'Burbs to "eh, it's alright" stuff like Small Soldiers to, most recently, the extremely bad Burying the Ex, is really sad.

I thought his Looney Toons movie was pretty decent. It's kind of unfair that Space Jam gets so much unwarranted praise due to 90s nostalgia and irony while Back In Action was much better both as a movie and in being true to the characters and their humor.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Wait for the oughts nostalgia to kick in.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Sleeveless posted:

Looney Toons

It's Tunes

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Kurtofan posted:

Wait for the oughts nostalgia to kick in.

Facebook goes bankrupt when kids start ironically posting on Myspace.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sir Kodiak posted:

I take it about as seriously as I do Ballers, it just produces less laughs (none as compared to one or two per episode), without having charm or charisma to coast on.

good take

can i get anyone else take??

Parachute
May 18, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

Hey, so, I like weird small-town stuff like twin peaks or MIRACLES or whatever, and also the x-files, and I was hoping you could suggest some lesser known stuff I could check out. Is Eureka any good?

King of the Hill is the best small-town show ever.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Welp.

http://tvline.com/2015/07/20/xena-reboot-nbc-warrior-princess-lucy-lawless-new-series/

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
I guess the positive is that there's basically no way it could be worse than the original?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Are you implying that xena, the warrior princess is bad.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Remember when Xena met Jesus and also made the Trojan Horse and founded the Ming Dynasty and hosed the god Ares.

e: when I was a kid I thought it was a really entertaining show with interesting stories. Compare it to Hercules and it was a much better show.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mu Zeta posted:

Remember when Xena met Jesus and also made the Trojan Horse and founded the Ming Dynasty and hosed the god Ares.

Hercules met Jesus too

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Thanks!

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Did you guys know that Hercules also had another spinoff besides Xena

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kurtofan posted:

Hercules met Jesus too

Kevin Sorbo was well prepared to play the Atheist Professor.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Wheat Loaf posted:

Kevin Sorbo was well prepared to play the Atheist Professor.

that's what I was referring to but I wouldn't be surprised if he actually met Jesus on the show.

less laughter posted:

50 episodes in one year? :prepop:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

The new Xena better have Joxer the Mighty, otherwise it'll be pure garbage.

I mean, it'll likely be terrible either way but still.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

less laughter posted:

Ryan Gosling? Haha.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Something something NBC new lows something tire fire something peacock

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lycus posted:

Ryan Gosling? Haha.

He pops up in some weird places in 90s syndicated television. He had his own Goosebumps episode!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While I'm enjoying this season of True Detective it is pretty crazy that its over half way and there hasn't really been any forward motion on the story.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this? posted:

While I'm enjoying this season of True Detective it is pretty crazy that its over half way and there hasn't really been any forward motion on the story.

I have to agree, as something I watch I'm liking the episodes themselves more than season 1, but I'm also thinking "how the hell is all this gonna tie together with so few episodes left?"

After last night's, my new favorite crazy theory is Vince Vaughn is gonna end up adopting Colin Farrel's kid somehow

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

It's doubly weird because it's playing more straight as a cop procedural than the first season was (which just teased occult poo poo but for obvious reasons didn't actually commit to it) so sprinkling clues everywhere and trying to make the audience try to piece it together or write 3000 word essays on it as the weeks go by ... doesn't seem to work. It's still gonna be a cop show through and through so eventually it'll all get explained to us quite clearly in the coming weeks.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Does it pick up? I watched the first three episodes but I fell behind because it felt like self-parody by somebody who didn't understand why the first season was so good.

Also I have no idea how I should be feeling about the fact that furries are now mainstream enough that a prestigious HBO crime show is using a guy having a bunch of fursuit heads as a dogwhistle the way that network crime shows use BDSM, crossdressing, and bisexuality.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Sleeveless posted:

Does it pick up? I watched the first three episodes but I fell behind because it felt like self-parody by somebody who didn't understand why the first season was so good.

Also I have no idea how I should be feeling about the fact that furries are now mainstream enough that a prestigious HBO crime show is using a guy having a bunch of fursuit heads as a dogwhistle the way that network crime shows use BDSM, crossdressing, and bisexuality.

There is more action, otherwise your question is answered by the post you quoted.

Furry heads are cartoonish, weird satanic sex cults use realisitic/actual animal-head masks. You know, like the first season.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Kurtofan posted:

Are you implying that xena, the warrior princess is bad.

No reboot can ever be as good or fun, so it's doomed from the start, making the whole thing a exercise in futility.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

precision posted:

After last night's, my new favorite crazy theory is Vince Vaughn is gonna end up adopting Colin Farrel's kid somehow

No. He'll adopt totally not gay cop's kid.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Sleeveless posted:

I thought his Looney Toons movie was pretty decent. It's kind of unfair that Space Jam gets so much unwarranted praise due to 90s nostalgia and irony while Back In Action was much better both as a movie and in being true to the characters and their humor.

Fun fact is that Dante was such a last minute addition to that movie that he showed up after principal production had actually started.

I think he's talked before that he finds it difficult to get work. He's not really on anyone's list to direct anything, which is why he ends up with poo poo like Burying The Ex.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

oh jay posted:

No. He'll adopt totally not gay cop's kid.
I haven't seen season 2, but if the season's big mystery is "whose child will another character adopt" the plotting might need a little work.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

I haven't seen season 2, but if the season's big mystery is "whose child will another character adopt" the plotting might need a little work.

People are just joking. The actual murder mystery is a little overly complicated because it has to do with land deals and prostitution and blackmail and creepy looking Rick Springfield.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Hey, so, I like weird small-town stuff like twin peaks or MIRACLES or whatever, and also the x-files, and I was hoping you could suggest some lesser known stuff I could check out. Is Eureka any good?

Eureka is terrible. Check out Wonderfalls, the first season of Sleepy Hollow, and Fringe though its not really in a small town (though every city they go to looks like Vancouver). I've heard good things about Millenium.

EDIT: Brink elevates itself by episode 4 when every line is just cracking. Tim Robbins is an all-star.

Ballers has always been good, but its not really flashy with it. Its reliably quality so far, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it lands on its feet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I saw a clip from Mr Robot where the guy said "gently caress Society". Was that bleeped on broadcast or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

zoux posted:

I saw a clip from Mr Robot where the guy said "gently caress Society". Was that bleeped on broadcast or what?

Not bleeped, just silence. There are a bunch of spots where you can tell they swore.

• Locked thread