Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Snak posted:

Not soon, I hope. Maybe there should be a whole seperate "Witcher 3 SPOILERS" thread? I know that myself and several other people here are still on their first playthrough...

Like the Mass Effect 3 spoilers thread? I like that idea. Witcher 3 is certainly long enough that people will likely being doing their first playthrough for some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Snak posted:

Speaking of viper school... is there any viper school armor? or is it just the two swords?

Just the two low level swords. Which is a shame because just at the time you start liking them, you lose them.

I really wish I had put the bleeding glyph on my swords earlier. I purposely avoided it for a while because I wanted to do it "right", but I was holding on to a ton of greater glyphs by the end.

Burning, Bleeding, Sign Intensity. :getin:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah I'd be behind someone making a TW3 spoilers thread.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A spoilers thread would be nice I guess but idk that there's enough chat to necessitate two threads.

Also half the spoilers don't give any clue as to what they spoil so you don't know what it's going to be until you've clicked which kind of defeats the point.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
There's no point in two threads. Let's just try to be better about detailing what you're spoiling when you tag something.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Spoiler: Geralt fucks people.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Spoiler tagging stuff is annoying enough without having to carefully categorize your spoiler. I put "ending" or not but that's about it, and usually I just spoiler the whole post if something is questionable. I think that inconsistent is probably the best you're gonna get if that's the policy. I don't feel strongly either way about a spoiler thread but I doubt this one is going to change from the status quo.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

I can't believe that it would work out that well for world despite what the ending slides inform you. Ciri herself would be miserable on top of that. Plus it's kind of the most nonsensical ending from a writing perspective. The nobles and merchant guilds are mad at Emhyr...but they accept his half-Nordling daughter who has never even been to Nilgaard proper and is advised by a Nordling sorceress most famous for having at least two kings assassinated? Also Geralt and Yennefer are perfectly happy abandoning Ciri to Philippa and Emhyr and Voorhees?

I just can't see it.

ending talk:

Way I see it it all ties up with trusting Ciri to make her own decisions and that she can handle what's coming without Geralt holding her hand. All the "right" decisions towards the good ending emphasize this.

I didn't get any hidden agenda from Emhyr's offer and I don't envision Voorhees having any issues with serving under a super powerful empress, since he seems to be all about Nilfgard. I don't think nobles can do poo poo against a woman who has time&space travel abilities either.

Also I don't really think Ciri would be "miserable", it's obvious she'll miss adventuring with Geralt, but I'd say she knows too it's the choice she has to make. I dislike using "For greater good" but I felt she also realized her abilities could and should be used for to benefit as many as possible.

But like I said your points are valid too, it all comes down to perspective.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Ending chat: If you trust Ciri to make her own decisions she has no interest in meeting Emhyr so that ending never happens. Being an Empress is a miserable job that is completely counter to everything Ciri is shown to have wanted, and she'd probably hate the kinds of things she'd have to do (or more realistically, order others to do), to be effective.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Azazell0 posted:

ending talk:

Way I see it it all ties up with trusting Ciri to make her own decisions and that she can handle what's coming without Geralt holding her hand. All the "right" decisions towards the good ending emphasize this.

I didn't get any hidden agenda from Emhyr's offer and I don't envision Voorhees having any issues with serving under a super powerful empress, since he seems to be all about Nilfgard. I don't think nobles can do poo poo against a woman who has time&space travel abilities either.

Also I don't really think Ciri would be "miserable", it's obvious she'll miss adventuring with Geralt, but I'd say she knows too it's the choice she has to make. I dislike using "For greater good" but I felt she also realized her abilities could and should be used for to benefit as many as possible.

But like I said your points are valid too, it all comes down to perspective.

more ending chat

I felt like Ciri becoming a witcher or Empress were both equally good outcomes, her dying obviously bad. Ciri seems genuinely happy witchering and I think that's the better option for her personally, but Empress is better for the game world. It's pretty cool that despite her being the Kwisatz Haderach, you can have a good ending without necessarily saving the world as Empress. It was posted but this sums up a lot of my feelings on the writing and plot overall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkIKbTiuJ9A The actual main plot is really generic and wasn't that compelling for me. Find Ciri and protect her from the Wild Hunt. The plot serves to move you from scene/vignette/dialog sequence to the next, which works fantastically in the open-world setting.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
This was a much closer, more personal plot than the previous game, or most games in general have. You really have to care about the characters to give a gently caress because the emphasis on the stakes is more on whether or not Geralt saves his daughter than "Save the world from an ancient evil".

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The best ending is obviously the one where Ciri dies beating? fighting? the white frost and Geralt commits suicide by monster. This is the Witcher universe. No one gets a happy ending :colbert:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The best ending is obviously the one where Ciri dies beating? fighting? the white frost and Geralt commits suicide by monster. This is the Witcher universe. No one gets a happy ending :colbert:

Yen was the leader of the white frost all along, laughs.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

The Sharmat posted:

Ending chat: If you trust Ciri to make her own decisions she has no interest in meeting Emhyr so that ending never happens. Being an Empress is a miserable job that is completely counter to everything Ciri is shown to have wanted, and she'd probably hate the kinds of things she'd have to do (or more realistically, order others to do), to be effective.

Not really true. If you start that convo by mentioning going to the Emperor instead of heading straight to Velen she will eventually ask for your opinion. If you tell her it's her decision she still asks for your input regardless. In my playthrough Ciri went to see her father entirely by her own free will. Honestly have no clue what you're talking about here. She wants to go straight to Velen because she has no goddamned clue her father has been moving heaven and Earth to find her unless you tell her.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

necrobobsledder posted:

If I remember my Scandinavian languages right, doesn't Morkvarg basically mean dark wolf / shadow wolf? Maybe it's supposed to be Myrk in Norwegian? If that's about right, they're doing pretty ok at making up somewhat sensible names.

Kinda? Mörkvarg is Swedish for "darkwolf", but the voice actors pronounce it as mor kvarg ("mother cottage cheese").

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Not really true. If you start that convo by mentioning going to the Emperor instead of heading straight to Velen she will eventually ask for your opinion. If you tell her it's her decision she still asks for your input regardless. In my playthrough Ciri went to see her father entirely by her own free will. Honestly have no clue what you're talking about here. She wants to go straight to Velen because she has no goddamned clue her father has been moving heaven and Earth to find her unless you tell her.

Meeting Ehmyr w/Ciri

I'm so glad I didn't take the coin, but I immediately watched the video on YouTube afterwards and what a loving dick he is. I guarantee he told the dude to count it out slowly too.

And just Geralt cupping his hands and just looking like a giant tool.....

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

So she actually doesn't make a decision, Geralt makes it for her.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
As for why Nilfgaard would accept Ciri: Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nilfgaard is only partially meritocratic, it's still all bloodlines and clans and crap, and Ciri's got the trump card on all of them. She literally has magic blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8-eiBqri0U

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Doesn't stop them from killing Emhyr.

Plus the Elder Blood thing is not widely known at all,even among the upper crust. The Nilfgaardian members of the Lodge had never even heard of it, Francesca Findabair had to fill them in.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

The Sharmat posted:

Plus the Elder Blood thing is not widely known at all,even among the upper crust. The Nilfgaardian members of the Lodge had never even heard of it, Francesca Findabair had to fill them in.

Emhyr didn't have the elder blood though?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If I remember the way it works correctly, to get Ciri Emhyr would have had to be a carrier. He just shows no special abilities because one of the critical genes is sex linked.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

The Sharmat posted:

Even then...

They kill Emhyr because he got them involved in multiple failed wars against the north and it was costing them a fortune in lost trade and was collapsing the economy. I find it plausible that in a system like Nilfgaard's it wouldn't be uncommon for an unpopular (but rightful) figure to step down in favor of a more popular (and still rightful) successor. The only reason he didn't die after the first two failed wars is because in Nilfgaard they value order and stability. Murdering an emperor is a really big deal.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 21, 2015

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The Sharmat posted:

If I remember the way it works correctly, to get Ciri Emhyr would have had to be a carrier. He just shows no special abilities because one of the critical genes is sex linked.

I could have sworn it was something that was only carried by the matriarchal line, but the powers themselves skip a generation, so Ciri's mother had it, but couldn't use any of the abilities. Then again, it's been a long time since I read the books.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
More ending chat: Why would Ciri be remotely popular? She's the half Nordling product of a line known for usurpation and incest advised by an extremely unpopular northern Sorceress known for plotting against monarchs. The only thing going for her is Voorhees' family. And they're gonna want Voorhees to rule, not Ciri. Ciri is just a means to get the throne.

Crappy Jack posted:

I could have sworn it was something that was only carried by the matriarchal line, but the powers themselves skip a generation, so Ciri's mother had it, but couldn't use any of the abilities. Then again, it's been a long time since I read the books.

It can "skip a generation" because multiple genes are required to get the full manifestation of abilities, and one of those is sex linked.

Ciri's mother, Pavetta, did have some special powers, though her own mother Calanthe did not. Ciri's the only one to have everything the Elven breeding program originally wanted, though.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

The Sharmat posted:

More ending chat: Why would Ciri be remotely popular? She's the half Nordling product of a line known for usurpation and incest advised by an extremely unpopular northern Sorceress known for plotting against monarchs. The only thing going for her is Voorhees' family. And they're gonna want Voorhees to rule, not Ciri. Ciri is just a means to get the throne.

More popular than Emhyr isn't hard to do. It's far more important that she's got the right titles.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Crappy Jack posted:

Pavetta definitely uses some powers in A Question of Price.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think we can all agree at least that Ending Chat: The worst thing about the non-witcher endings is that they aren't sequel bait.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Sharmat posted:

I think we can all agree at least that Ending Chat: The worst thing about the non-witcher endings is that they aren't sequel bait.

Our story continues as Letho and Eskel travels east over the mountains, to explore nations unknown.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
There's nothing East of those mountains for like a thousand miles but that ant lion boss from Final Fantasy 4.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

pik_d posted:

Our story continues as Letho and Eskel travels east over the mountains, to explore nations unknown.

I would 100% play as Letho. Re-build the Viper school for real!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I would 100% play as Letho. Re-build the Viper school for real!

And you'd get to use those two short swords, that would be cool

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It would be a lonely game. All of Letho's friends are dead. :smith:

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

The Sharmat posted:

So she actually doesn't make a decision, Geralt makes it for her.

She certainly doesn't make a decision NOT to, which is what you were saying.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Letho owns and makes me wanna buy W2. Too bad I am a console peasant who for a computer has an iMac instead of a PC.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Sharmat posted:

No it's cool, Eskel said he was gonna head east as well. They can get into drunken Witcher trouble together.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

He can make new ones! :buddy:

E: Which will inevitably result in them dying in horrible ways.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 21, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

She certainly doesn't make a decision NOT to, which is what you were saying.

I'm saying she shows no interest in meeting Emhyr unless Geralt tells her she should.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

Kinda? Mörkvarg is Swedish for "darkwolf", but the voice actors pronounce it as mor kvarg ("mother cottage cheese").
BRB changing my Steamname.

Seconding/Tripling the vote for a sequel playing as Letho rebuilding the Serpent School

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm really not sure why they would do a sequel with an existing character that isn't Ciri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
The sequel will be nothing but flashbacks to previous times Geralt, Lambert, and Eskel got drunk together. It will be a better game than The Witcher 3.