Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
What's the best liquid to put out fires? I've been using slime and it seems somewhat effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I was just wondering whether that guy was still in the game. I think of all the times i've actually set out to look for him i've found him twice.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

amuayse posted:

What's the best liquid to put out fires? I've been using slime and it seems somewhat effective.

salt water, it's free and limitless

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

re:coq

quote:

sounds like the kind of Dwarf Fortress type of game I'd want to play. If I end up not liking it in the end there is a refund policy after all.

quote:

ADOM is, in my opionion, the missing-link between CoQ and DF.

I kind of enjoy the steam forums for roguelikes

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

victrix posted:

A perfect roguelike kills players because they hosed up. And that can be hosed up tactically or strategically.

I'm going to resist the urge to be a smartass and say "yeah but playing 15 minutes of any major roguelike should dispel the notion that they're perfect immediately."

The problem with this statement is made clearer when you restate it, which is to say: in a perfect roguelike, if the player makes the correct decisions, they should never die.

It's really two different problems, though. If you embrace that statement, then making a perfect roguelike is mind-bogglingly difficult. Making a game in which the player could, in theory, map out the whole tree of possible moves up to the limit of their current knowledge supposes that developers can make all of those decisions salient and interesting. I've heard a lot of people decry this as being outright impossible, which I think is stupid and defeatist, but I don't actively begrudge developers who don't want to shoot for it, or think it's the only way to design a good game.

More realistically, you can also reject the statement. I'm much more annoyed that designers take randomness as a given without thinking about why it's there than I am by designers who do the same with permadeath, but it does have a function. When randomness is just a gloss over a decision tree that was already trivial, it's bad design. When randomness allows a player to win (and I mean the game in its entirety, not just one encounter) 50% or 90% or even 99.9% of the time by making "correct" decisions, but causes them to lose or slams them with huge setbacks the rest of the time, that's bad design not desirable in itself, at least. However, randomness can also free the player from the need to consider the next ten turns, which is very important because that kind of foresight is a very specific skill and what skills a game should test is an aesthetic choice, not an objectively correct or incorrect one.

Take the two together, and you get into (part of) what I was saying earlier about good and bad design in niche genres being almost inseparable: how do you get the desirable "fuzziness" of random outcomes without sometimes breaking the covenant with the player that you won't kill them for no good reason? Most likely you're going to have to compromise, and accept that letting them win only most of the time for making correct decisions is better than trying to design a game for an audience or tastes that you don't care about.

Admitting this will also not stop me from blasting the poo poo out of Crawl devs for saying things like "the very best players of our game winning 50% of the time is too high." :v:

(Similarly, credit where credit's due -- much as I dislike Nethack for other reasons, the best players have win rates of over 80% and win streaks of 20+ games in a row.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 21, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The problem with this statement is made clearer when you restate it, which is to say: in a perfect roguelike, if the player makes the correct decisions, they should never die.

It's really two different problems, though. If you embrace that statement, then making a perfect roguelike is mind-bogglingly difficult. Making a game in which the player could, in theory, map out the whole tree of possible moves up to the limit of their current knowledge supposes that developers can make all of those decisions salient and interesting. I've heard a lot of people decry this as being outright impossible, which I think is stupid and defeatist, but I don't actively begrudge developers who don't want to shoot for it, or think it's the only way to design a good game.

I totally agree, in the nerd rogue manifesto I wrote late last night and deleted, I actually ended with a half finished thought on a mental exercise about world building backwards from the endgame to the beginning to ensure it's always beatable (a maze, drawn from the exit, but absurdly more complicated/impossible).

I don't think there is a perfect roguelike, I think the sentiment I was trying to express is more that one of the things that keeps drawing me back to roguelikes again and again and again while AAA titles rot on my digital shelf is a direct result of the gameplay concepts and just plain gameplay that arises from trying to craft a good or great roguelike - and a lot of that stems from the consequences of permadeath.

It's really easy to say 'well, a perfect platformer is just a well designed mario game' or whatever, but roguelikes are distinctly different because of their typical fail state. The only other major game type out there that I can think to compare is, believe it or not, japanese shooters (a mostly dead, niche genre). Trying to one credit clear a good shooter is/was the almost the exact same thrill as completing a roguelike.

Difference though - those games are balls hard and tend to have very few or no random elements (they also usually have a difficulty curve that isn't inverse, like a lot of roguelikes and rpgs). Think about trying to beat a randomly generated shooter - it's madness, but that's what a lot of roguelikes are. They typically shackle the randomness in various ways (ranging from completely static to partially procedural), some working better than others.

Shooters have an element of execution that roguelikes don't, so even exceptional players won't beat them 100% of the time due to feeble fleshy reactions, so you trade of the execution demands of a shooter for the randomness of a roguelike and there we go, yes I am comparing ascending in Nethack to 1ccing Dodonpachi.

==

It's really, really easy to gently caress up a game with permadeath, and really hard to make a good, challenging, fun, fair, rewarding one. I think the pursuit of anything near that ideal is a good one though, and it creates really good games (perhaps really good games with really niche appeal, but hey, I'm in that niche so its a good one :colbert:)

quote:

Take the two together, and you get into (part of) what I was saying earlier about good and bad design in niche genres being almost inseparable: how do you get the desirable "fuzziness" of random outcomes without sometimes breaking the covenant with the player that you won't kill them for no good reason? Most likely you're going to have to compromise, and accept that letting them win only most of the time for making correct decisions is better than trying to design a game for an audience or tastes that you don't care about.

Admitting this will also not stop me from blasting the poo poo out of Crawl devs for saying things like "the very best players of our game winning 50% of the time is too high." :v:

(Similarly, credit where credit's due -- much as I dislike Nethack for other reasons, the best players have win rates of over 80% and win streaks of 20+ games in a row.)

It's a tough problem for sure, and different roguelikes handle it in different ways.

I'm honestly not sure that there is any such covenant amongst roguelikes as a whole though, or among roguelike devs. Roguelikes have a lot of people who make them (and enjoy them) for wildly disparate reasons. They tend to share common roots, and it's easy to project what you or I like about those roots onto the motivations of some creator or (slow rear end where the gently caress is my interesting melee crawl) creators.

I do think that yes, a very well designed roguelike should be winnable near as makes no difference 100% of the time.

I say that fully acknowledging that I play a lot of roguelikes as a journey, not a destination, because if you can't accept eating dirt a few thousand times, and more particularly, enjoy the process that got you there, you're probably not gonna be enjoying roguelike games anyway.

But for sure the times that it feels like a game killed you capriciously are some of the worst deaths, often even worse than the 'oops, slipped on a key and instadied'. At least you can blame yourself, correctly, for the latter, as much as it sucked. But when a game doesn't give you the tools you need to fight back, or puts you in situations you can't win or escape*, or suddenly spikes the danger or resource consumption, it's usually a pretty sour experience.

And sometimes it's hard to tell if it was actually a no-win situation, or you didn't see the way out, or you got yourself into that situation with poor decisions much earlier in the game. That's the good part of learning a roguelike (usually), but sometimes it's tough to see if it was just the game loving you because the dice fell poorly or you lack the experience to say that with any certainty.

(*side note about escape specifically: there's a reason mobility and escape options are prized so heavily in many roguelikes, I view them as a sort of safety valve against randomness - it'd be a separate post to argue whether that's good or not, I don't much like it, even though it's a long honored tradition in most typical dungeon crawly type roguelikes)

And that was, again, too many words. I need to stay away from this thread late at night or after caffeine I think.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

victrix posted:

nerd rogue manifesto

this is actually a thing a live adult human being wrote in complete seriousness. think about that

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

this is actually a thing a live adult human being wrote in complete seriousness. think about that

I'm only glad it was two pages instead of 90 :ohdear:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
crawl melee is so good please don't change it

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

crawl melee is so good please don't change it

I will cut you

(by bumping into you repeatedly)

edit: Does anyone know if there's a way to find the most popular/successful roguelikes on steam?

victrix fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 21, 2015

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
So in Qud my last few characters have started with an extra mutation, "mental healing," which has no description and doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

One thing I'll note is that even though Crawl's policy of "no needed spoilers to win" is correct, the actual implementation of "yeah you should memorize what's in certain vaults or you're just gonna die" means you definitely need some.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

You're in the Rogue thread, what were you expecting, a diagram?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

victrix posted:

edit: Does anyone know if there's a way to find the most popular/successful roguelikes on steam?

It should be taken with a grain of salt but a site like this is probably your best bet.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Clever Spambot posted:

It should be taken with a grain of salt but a site like this is probably your best bet.

Thanks, this is a solid place to start. The roguelike tag casts a wide net, I'll have to sift through this a bit.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Beamed posted:

One thing I'll note is that even though Crawl's policy of "no needed spoilers to win" is correct, the actual implementation of "yeah you should memorize what's in certain vaults or you're just gonna die" means you definitely need some.

It's a design goal, not necessarily a perfect implementation. I've honestly never felt the need to look up or memorize a vault, short of Zot:5 which is always the same, but I don't win every time either.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It's a design goal, not necessarily a perfect implementation. I've honestly never felt the need to look up or memorize a vault, short of Zot:5 which is always the same, but I don't win every time either.

I think they did a pretty good job, when I beat crawl the first time it was a few weeks after I started, and I don't recall looking up much more than 'hey, what's a good newbie race/class setup' and maybe something on how skill xp worked back then?

Crawl has a lot more crap in it these days, but not, I think, a lot more complexity, which is pretty good design really. Definitely a lot of stuff you can play poorly or have a really loving hard time with though.

Every time I come back to check it out they've added another few gods/magic widgets/spells/enemies/vaults/etc. Though they do sometimes slice stuff out, pretty sure it's a lot more added than removed.

Maelephant
Aug 12, 2006

"Yer know, a herd of maelephants might be jus' wot we needs."

Lprsti99 posted:

So in Qud my last few characters have started with an extra mutation, "mental healing," which has no description and doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Do you have "Unfinished content" enabled in your options? Cause, yeah, there's some weird stuff in there.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Maelephant posted:

Do you have "Unfinished content" enabled in your options? Cause, yeah, there's some weird stuff in there.

Ah, I do recall enabling that at some point, that'll do it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Maelephant posted:

Who's gonna play qud and not turn that on, whatever it it???

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

victrix posted:

I think they did a pretty good job, when I beat crawl the first time it was a few weeks after I started, and I don't recall looking up much more than 'hey, what's a good newbie race/class setup' and maybe something on how skill xp worked back then?

Crawl has a lot more crap in it these days, but not, I think, a lot more complexity, which is pretty good design really. Definitely a lot of stuff you can play poorly or have a really loving hard time with though.

Every time I come back to check it out they've added another few gods/magic widgets/spells/enemies/vaults/etc. Though they do sometimes slice stuff out, pretty sure it's a lot more added than removed.

The main issue with Crawl is that it's really just kind of dull. I find by about midgame you know you're gonna win or you're not and from there on it sorta becomes a slog. Probably doesn't help that is has an ultra generic setting and a whole pile of pretty uninteresting classes too. Though last time I played it (forever ago) I had lots of fun with Transmuters and the weirder classes.

Maelephant
Aug 12, 2006

"Yer know, a herd of maelephants might be jus' wot we needs."

Who's gonna play qud and not turn that on, whatever it it???

I can certainly understand the impulse, though in this case "unfinished" generally refers to deprecated or otherwise entirely nonfunctional content. About the only thing in there that "works" is metamorphosis, but that ability is crazy broken in its own ways.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

victrix posted:

I just wish that not everything that was slightly quirky was targeted for deletion.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Did they remove toenail golems? Because that would be worse than every other complaint I've ever lodged.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Did they remove toenail golems? Because that would be worse than every other complaint I've ever lodged.

Still in.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dis astranagant posted:

I kinda get the feeling that this is more part 1 of A Canticle for Leibowitz, where people are starting to rebuild but still pretty isolated.

It really reminds me of The Gunslinger - a small town on the edge of a desert. A tall gleaming tower off in the distance. I have never been able to get into any roguelike but the evocativeness of the setting in Qud really clicked for me and now I'm having a blast.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

CoQ chat:
Do cells passively discharge when in an item (say a Electrobow?)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cerepol posted:

CoQ chat:
Do cells passively discharge when in an item (say a Electrobow?)

So far as I know, the only passive effects for cells is passive recharging for solar cells, and I'm pretty sure they don't have to be equipped for that to happen. Carry a recoiler around and never use it and the cell in it will stay fully charged indefinitely. Fire that electrobow and the cell will slooooowly drain. Energy guns are crazy efficient.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Energy guns are crazy efficient.

Except for overcharged laser pistols (6 shots on solar) and phase cannons (drain 3/4 of a chem cell in one shot, isn't even all that good).

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I've crafted a regular laser pistol and got a decent amount of shots from it using a solar cell.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Just completed my first ascension of Cogmind :toot:

Can't say it's a reliable strategy, but my run was mostly finding a four-pack of Experimental Cesium Ion thrusters, then slotting in enough utility / power to offset the power drain and heat buildup while providing a modicum of protection. I had a Heavy Disruptor Cannon that I pulled out whenever I wanted to go one-on-one, but any item with a high penetration / critical would probably do just as well.

Most of my run was going around overloaded (but still at 200% move), then immediately activating all my thrusters to shoot to 500% - 1000% speed and jetting through enemies as soon as possible. Finally got lucky on -1 by opening the doors first try, then puttered around the shell before I realized I should probably put my hypervelocity railgun to good use and blew it open

I do wish higher rating weapons had more unique abilities though. We do get very high disruption / critical weapons, but most of the other ones were pretty hard to parse, even if they sounded :black101: as hell.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C
Congratulations! You're now among the handful (~6?) who've managed to do this. Several are getting close to 100% win rates with faster builds. The main alternative route--blowing everything up--is more difficult, but should be a little easier in Alpha 2, and the dynamics of that will continue to change as more branches are added.

RoboCicero posted:

I do wish higher rating weapons had more unique abilities though. We do get very high disruption / critical weapons, but most of the other ones were pretty hard to parse, even if they sounded :black101: as hell.
Most of the truly amazing late-game weapons are currently unavailable because you'll only find them in late branches which haven't been added yet. Some crazy stuff waiting on the sidelines, but I don't want to spoil the surprises... Naturally I save the best for last :D

That and if you do more runs you're sure to find new and interesting things that are available. I know people who've been playing since release and they still haven't come across "certain parts." Have you seen what a Centrium Greatsword does to a robot? :killdozer:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

amuayse posted:

I've crafted a regular laser pistol and got a decent amount of shots from it using a solar cell.

Overcharged ones have more penetration and do d10+2 damage instead of just d10. The best pistols except for a unique one you won't see and maybe chain pistols you can't keep fed.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Is there any way to get the Praetorian's starter gear like the desert rifle in Qud, or is it a case of it'd be useless by the time you ran into it anyways?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Million Ghosts posted:

Is there any way to get the Praetorian's starter gear like the desert rifle in Qud, or is it a case of it'd be useless by the time you ran into it anyways?

Desert rifles are available pretty early and I'll call them the first decent gun. Tam often carries them and they're frequent chest fodder. You can also tinker them fairly easily if that's your thing. The rest of his starting kit is just steel equipment that isn't even all that good, just better than you're guaranteed to see around Joppa. His cloak is the only thing that might be unique, unless you roll some particularly rare injectors or something.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 22, 2015

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Oh, really? Guess I've just been unlucky with my chests and merchant lists so far. The gun is the only part I'm really concerned about, that penetration value early on is real nice.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You can always use a musket in a pinch. Slightly less penetration and accuracy, but decent enough early on, especially with the skill that adds knockback to pointblank shots. I've been known to murder Tam with his own muskets if he has something I really want and don't feel like waiting for.

If you go poke around in the jungles you'll get shot at by quite a few desert rifles :v:

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 22, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Million Ghosts posted:

The main issue with Crawl is that it's really just kind of dull. I find by about midgame you know you're gonna win or you're not and from there on it sorta becomes a slog. Probably doesn't help that is has an ultra generic setting and a whole pile of pretty uninteresting classes too. Though last time I played it (forever ago) I had lots of fun with Transmuters and the weirder classes.

i quit playing a while ago because it takes so much time and there's so many areas that somehow manage to be dull as gently caress. that and the fact that there's multiple gods and whatever that still exist that are really poor mishmashes of dumb poo poo (all okawaru does is give you two things that make you hit better and gift you 90% useless poo poo. ????????????)

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I want to accuse Qud of false advertisement since there is no chrome caves, only tarnished chrome sewers in Golgatha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i quit playing a while ago because it takes so much time and there's so many areas that somehow manage to be dull as gently caress. that and the fact that there's multiple gods and whatever that still exist that are really poor mishmashes of dumb poo poo (all okawaru does is give you two things that make you hit better and gift you 90% useless poo poo. ????????????)

Pretty much, for every cool thing Crawl does (octopodes are my poo poo) it manages to miss the point on many more.