Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Pertplus posted:

Yeah I guess it's dumb of me to expect that this computer I just bought should work as advertised. Even dumber to expect that if it doesn't work as advertised I should be able to return it within 2 months of buying it.

But yeah, I won't go in with that "attitude", and I will be as nice as possible. Regardless of how much I feel that I should be able to return a product that doesn't work as advertised, I know that ultimately it's up to them to decide how they want to handle it.

I don't understand why people think that $2k is remotely expensive enough to pay for the kind of quality control that is needed to even approach 100% working hardware. You're not the first person I've seen assert this, and it is completely baffling to me.

Also, if your work really does require a computer so critically that you literally can't be a day without one, then you absolutely need to have a backup plan in case yours breaks down. There is no computer in the world that is reliable enough to trust it under those conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Well people generally expect better if they pay more, and Apple has built up a reputation of good QC. But yeah poo poo happens, and it sucks if you got an unlucky draw.

Pertplus posted:

Yeah I guess it's dumb of me to expect that this computer I just bought should work as advertised.
See that's totally reasonable. And they have a 1 year warranty just to fix stuff like that!

quote:

Even dumber to expect that if it doesn't work as advertised I should be able to return it within 2 months of buying it.
That would also be reasonable, if there was anything indicating that you could return it after however long you've had it...I'm assuming over a month since you said within 2 months, when the return policy is 14 days or whatever. And again they have that warranty thing to get it working as advertised beyond that point if you want to keep it. But you probably already know about that:

Pertplus posted:

Yeah, I'm sure they'll fix it and it'll be fine. I'm just a little stressed out about unrelated issues so this only added to my stack of things to be annoyed about.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Pertplus posted:

Yeah I guess it's dumb of me to expect that this computer I just bought should work as advertised. Even dumber to expect that if it doesn't work as advertised I should be able to return it within 2 months of buying it.

But yeah, I won't go in with that "attitude", and I will be as nice as possible. Regardless of how much I feel that I should be able to return a product that doesn't work as advertised, I know that ultimately it's up to them to decide how they want to handle it.

Since when does any electronics sale ever come with the ability to return something after two months?

I would also consider the fact that apple has physical locations where you can get it repaired, with an absolute maximum of 7 days to complete the repair. Many other computer manufacturers would require you to ship the machine outside the U.S.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 21, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
By the way it's your logic board at the minimum

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

DoA or broken parts happen all across the hardware industry. I've been building computers since I was 12, I'm 26 now. Mac fan for the big portion of the last decade (as like the rest of the world am i rite lulz)

EVERY manufacturer ships broken parts. It just HAPPENS. Even the heavy-weights. You buy an ASUS top of the line mobo? poo poo might be broken. You buy a fancy case with fancy fans? The fan controller might be broken. That HDD may break in 2 weeks and oh honey that video card - will glitch the gently caress out on you until it gets so fucky that it stops your machine from booting.

These things happen. To Apple, to everyone. When you produce parts in quantity, you can't stress test every individual one.

Actually, the only company I've NEVER gotten a bad part from is Intel. Not once has a CPU from them been defective in any way. I guess they QA theirs pretty hardcore.

Apple's sold me some broken poo poo but whatever you just take it back and they're pretty good about making it right.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Kingnothing posted:

Since when does any electronics sale ever come with the ability to return something after two months?

I would also consider the fact that apple has physical locations where you can get it repaired, with an absolute maximum of 7 days to complete the repair. Many other computer manufacturers would require you to ship the machine outside the U.S.

Are you joking? Returns are almost always possible until at least 90 days from purchase any time I've ever bought a piece of consumer electronics.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pivo posted:

Actually, the only company I've NEVER gotten a bad part from is Intel. Not once has a CPU from them been defective in any way. I guess they QA theirs pretty hardcore.
Even Intel isn't immune: look up the Pentium III Coppermine 1.13 fiasco, or the more-recent Cougar Point SATA bug.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pertplus posted:

No, maybe don't go in with an attitude because retail support employees get enough poo poo already without you piling more on.

Manufacturing defects happen and it really sucks that you were unlucky enough to get saddled with one. But the guys fixing/replacing the computer aren't responsible for that.

Apple will ultimately make it right. It might be a colossal pain in the rear end, and if you're really really unlucky it might take multiple visits (that's super doubtful given the computer you have and the fact that it really sounds like something just came loose and unplugged some poo poo as opposed to some faulty component that will be recalled in 3 years).

The return-vs-repair policy sucks for you right now but at worst it's really not out of the ordinary.

Edit: wow a lot of posts happened since I lost signal on the subway and got press-ganged into helping out on an all-morning procedure in lab.

To throw my hat into the "at least it's not someone else" ring, Lenovo treats their non-Think line of computers like second class citizens at best.

It took my girlfriend like 3 months to get a known keyboard defect fixed on her Yoga 2 Pro- and only because she finally got fed up, ordered a used topcase and the requisite tools online and did the swap herself. There was no centralized support network or help from their end. Just "take it to your school's/local tech support and have them fix it."

And school tech support was all like "sure we can totally fix tha- oh wait, no we can't. Not without a new topcase, which'll cost ya a pretty penny before labor." She saved like $300 by DIY'ing it, but that still should not have been the best case scenario.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 21, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

SourKraut posted:

Even Intel isn't immune: look up the Pentium III Coppermine 1.13 fiasco, or the more-recent Cougar Point SATA bug.

I was using AMD at that time 8-)

But I'm sure you're right. They also had some microcode bug... You may have heard about it... lol

But that wasn't a manufacturing problem, was an engineering mistake.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 21, 2015

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Anyone know of any way to force the 12" MacBook to display its native resolution without third party apps?

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
Something I've been wondering now that I'm saving up for my first Mac, what is the idea behind building a super high res display and then upscaling everything? Does it only upscale UI stuff so you can view photos etc in their full resolution?

I mean I've seen retina displays in action and they look amazing next to a MacBook air but I still wonder how it works.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Are you joking? Returns are almost always possible until at least 90 days from purchase any time I've ever bought a piece of consumer electronics.
What stores? It seems like 14-30 days is pretty normal (if crappy), like even if a store has a longer policy in general they might stick electronics under a shorter period as an exception.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I Am Crake posted:

Does it only upscale UI stuff so you can view photos etc in their full resolution?

More or less, AFAIK.

That said, the desktop wallpaper seems to change size along with the UI when you switch between different scaling modes and I have no idea what that's about.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

App13 posted:

Anyone know of any way to force the 12" MacBook to display its native resolution without third party apps?

Im not sure about native but this macrumors thread http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/scale-1680x1050-on-rmb-without-an-app.1873910/ tells you how to get higher default resolutions (the slider in display prefs goes up to 1680x1050 for me now). I know you don't want to go third party but the the app linked to in the first post (RDM) will get you native and a ton of other resolution options. I've been using it since I got the MacBook with no issues.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wish Pertplus was allowed to return his laptop so he would stop bitching about it.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

fr3lm0 posted:

Im not sure about native but this macrumors thread http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/scale-1680x1050-on-rmb-without-an-app.1873910/ tells you how to get higher default resolutions (the slider in display prefs goes up to 1680x1050 for me now). I know you don't want to go third party but the the app linked to in the first post (RDM) will get you native and a ton of other resolution options. I've been using it since I got the MacBook with no issues.

That's actually a pretty good tip, thanks!

I'm alright with using third party on my own machines, but I've had a few customers ask to see the native resolution at work. This gets me closer

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

App13 posted:

That's actually a pretty good tip, thanks!

I'm alright with using third party on my own machines, but I've had a few customers ask to see the native resolution at work. This gets me closer

poo poo's gonna be ultra tiny, and there might be a performance hit on the new MacBook if you go beyond the built-in resolution support. The way scaling works on the retina MacBooks is, the image is rendered in an arbitrary resolution proportionally larger than your currently-selected one, and then it is downscaled to the actual resolution ("Looks like XXXX x YYYY"). For the MacBook, this is some funky resolution like 2301 x 1400 or something like that. I'd try it out yourself first, if by "customers" you mean "people I'm trying to sell the new MacBook" to.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

I Am Crake posted:

Something I've been wondering now that I'm saving up for my first Mac, what is the idea behind building a super high res display and then upscaling everything? Does it only upscale UI stuff so you can view photos etc in their full resolution?

I mean I've seen retina displays in action and they look amazing next to a MacBook air but I still wonder how it works.
Do you mean how everything runs in the 2x/HiDPI mode? Technically for the stuff that's built for it it's another native set of UI elements in higher resolution, but if you just mean in terms of size it's simply a usability thing. At native resolution with the low res elements everything would be tiny, like text would be hard to read and click targets shrink and are harder to hit.

When you picked a scaled resolution it renders at 2x then scales down to screen, like super sampling in games (if you know what that is), vs scaling up from lower resolution. But for photos or other stuff defined by devs, they can stilll output at the native resolution. If you want more detail on how it all works I'm sure there's something on Anandtech.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

enojy posted:

if by "customers" you mean "people I'm trying to sell the new MacBook" to.

Pretty much. I've had a few people ask to see it at native res for shits and giggles, and was pretty curious myself.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for a stand to place my macbook air 13" at. The location for the stand would be ideally next to the couch on the floor, so having it be decently sturdy so my cats don't knock it over is key.

I'm looking at this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JEVHYO6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=YH2DWCTT9O0S&coliid=I2KI1TEZGTOQ3R&psc=1

I'm hung up on price, and not sure if it would be sturdy enough. Anyone here use the Arcbooks? Anything similar?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I have a behringer fca202 firewire audio interface that works fine in 10.10 with apple core audio drivers but doesn't seem to be recognized at all in 10.11 beta. Is it possible to just copy the 10.10 kext to 10.11? I'm not sure what hoops I'll have to jump through with kext signing and what not.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Guys, thanks for all your advice. I pulled the trigger on a refurb 2015 13.3" Macbook Pro with 16G mem, 256 G storage, with AppleCare. I think we'll be very happy together.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm looking for a stand to place my macbook air 13" at. The location for the stand would be ideally next to the couch on the floor, so having it be decently sturdy so my cats don't knock it over is key.

I'm looking at this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JEVHYO6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=YH2DWCTT9O0S&coliid=I2KI1TEZGTOQ3R&psc=1

I'm hung up on price, and not sure if it would be sturdy enough. Anyone here use the Arcbooks? Anything similar?

This is probably a little different than what you were looking for, but I've been using http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C7STJ0. It's exactly the right size to place a 13" macbook on top of. It's made of steel so it's pretty sturdy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pertplus posted:

This is probably a little different than what you were looking for, but I've been using http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C7STJ0. It's exactly the right size to place a 13" macbook on top of. It's made of steel so it's pretty sturdy.

That's really good, but I already can place my Mac on the counter under my end table which is about that size. I donno, for whatever reason I was thinking something that could prop it upwards vs flat would be more condensed. Or I'm just crazy.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Duckman2008 posted:

I've got one of those, and with the right insert it holds a notebook pretty securely. My 15" (2010) can wiggle a few degrees, but it won't fall out or anything (and it it didn't, it'd be pretty annoying to take the notebook out anyway). Mine's aluminum or something, so it's a pretty stable base, but it seems the wood one weighs half as much (.5lb vs 1.2lb).

I got it because it takes up far less desk space in clamshell mode, and it certainly works brilliantly at that. Are you just using it to hold the notebook, or are you going to be plugging things into it. Because if it's the latter, I'd be more concerned about the cats loving with all the cables more than flat-out toppling it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I really, really hope that the Macbook keyboard doesn't get moved into the rest of the line...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

That's really good, but I already can place my Mac on the counter under my end table which is about that size. I donno, for whatever reason I was thinking something that could prop it upwards vs flat would be more condensed. Or I'm just crazy.

Slide it upright between the crosspiece rows?

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 23, 2015

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Shaocaholica posted:

I have a behringer fca202 firewire audio interface that works fine in 10.10 with apple core audio drivers but doesn't seem to be recognized at all in 10.11 beta. Is it possible to just copy the 10.10 kext to 10.11? I'm not sure what hoops I'll have to jump through with kext signing and what not.

Oh nm. It works now in 10.11. I think it was a bad FW cable.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zenostein posted:

I've got one of those, and with the right insert it holds a notebook pretty securely. My 15" (2010) can wiggle a few degrees, but it won't fall out or anything (and it it didn't, it'd be pretty annoying to take the notebook out anyway). Mine's aluminum or something, so it's a pretty stable base, but it seems the wood one weighs half as much (.5lb vs 1.2lb).

I got it because it takes up far less desk space in clamshell mode, and it certainly works brilliantly at that. Are you just using it to hold the notebook, or are you going to be plugging things into it. Because if it's the latter, I'd be more concerned about the cats loving with all the cables more than flat-out toppling it.

Mostly just to hold it. I don't use an external monitor or anything. Currently the cats don't chew my cables, back when they were young we had that issue, but used some yuck spray to kill that habit.

flosofl posted:

Slide it upright between the crosspiece rows?

No lie, didn't think that at all. I'll put that one in consideration, $15 vs $60 would be pretty nice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

http://9to5mac.com/2015/07/23/apples-2015-back-to-school-deal-free-beats-solo2-headphones-with-mac-purchase/

quote:

Apple is today launching its Back to School promotion for 2015. This year, it will give away a free pair of Beats Solo2 headphones with the purchase of an eligible Mac. Customers must either purchase an iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, or Mac Pro with education pricing to qualify, including build-to-order configurations. The Mac mini does not participate in the deal.

Alternatively, customers can upgrade for an additional $100 to a pair of wireless Beats Solo2 headphones, rather than the usual $299 price.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Heh, the edu discount and then selling the Beats new-in-box could be a significant price savings....

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's not a terrible idea.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
it's a pretty gross move by Apple considering how high the margin on those lovely headphones is.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

You could say the same about any pair of headphones marketed towards gamers as well. But why would you though? If rational economic actors want terrible headphones let them speak with their wallets. Sidenote: AA please also speak with your wallet.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Ha, no I am just saying some of the previous incentives were better and had more value, but cost Apple more.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

AlternateAccount posted:

Ha, no I am just saying some of the previous incentives were better and had more value, but cost Apple more.
Like what? I'm honestly asking here. I thought it was always printers and iPods and poo poo.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

The $100 iTunes gift card cost them $70.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Huh, for some reason I was thinking they had done higher value gift cards in the past. Would still take the GC over some garbage headphones, but the costs probably line up for Apple right about the same. I stand corrected.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Last year (or maybe the year before? time flies) it was 100 bucks, but it wasn't just iTunes, you could use it in-store too. At least I used mine in-store, to buy adapters and crap and then used the remainder against another Mac.

So the margins vary. The Beats sell for like $199 though, if you could even sell them for $100 that's still more than you would get for selling a gift card for cash.

They're crap cans, but it's not a terrible deal ... we capitalize on all the idiots who think they have value ... I don't feel bad about it, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I gather the refurbs on Apple's site are good as new, Apple seems good about that sort of thing.

I'm bouncing between two models of 13" Macbook Pros

2014 Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Dual-core Intel i5 with Retina Display

Originally released July 2014
13.3-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2560x1600 resolution at 227 pixels per inch
8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
512GB Flash Storage
720p FaceTime HD Camera
Intel Iris Graphics

for 1,609.00

and

2015 Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.7GHz Dual-core Intel i5 with Retina Display

Originally released March 2015
13.3-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2560-by-1600 resolution at 227 pixels per inch

8GB of 1866MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
720p FaceTime HD Camera
Intel Iris Graphics 6100

for $1,519.00

The big HDD is really appealing on the 2014 model, so the small bump in price isn't that big of a deal.

Does the performance difference on the SDD, RAM and overall lower power consumption make the 2015 model a better choice at this point? I'm not one to chase yearly upgrades, so the more futureproof the better. I assume despite lacking a listing for the onboard GPU in the 2014 model, its the same GPU in the 2015 model?

Is force-touch one of those things, like TouchID on the iPhone, that doesn't seem worth it on paper but once you have it you can't live without it?

Not going to be doing anything too hardcore on it, hence why RAM isn't too large a concern. Working, surfing, streaming movies, light (larf) Mac gaming (Hearthstoooone). A "Day to day" travel'n laptop. Mostly looking at it cause I tried working off my iPad mini and couldn't do it, I need a real laptop.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 23, 2015