Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

smg77 posted:

At what point do the real powers within the GOP start panicking? I assumed they would have done something to kill his candidacy before the first debate but it seems like he has too much momentum at this point for them to keep him out of it. Are they just hoping that he flames out on his own?

They're already panicking. They've been courting his money, and now it's come.

*Trump denies conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smg77 posted:

At what point do the real powers within the GOP start panicking?

I believe it was around November 2008 and continued shrilly since.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Aside from crippling the federal government, it's been a lot of fun watching John Boehner turn in the worst speakership I can recall, while having to hold his tongue against the nimrods and bomb tossers who are doing it to him, lest he offend a crotchety blubbering mass of racism, sexism, proud ignorance and cowardice. God forbid anyone act like those qualities are a bad thing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To me it's been a lot of fun watching Boehner act like his name sounds like a racist term for a Mexican and not 'boner' like the spelling suggests to German-speaking students.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I've always thought when I turn 35, I'd change my name, get dressed up like Larry the Cable Guy and run for president as a crazy racist "telling it like it is" in an effort to completely marginalise the republican party when I inexplicably get popular as Hell, but I figured it'd never work.

It probably wouldn't have, but only because I didn't come in with a Trump-sized ample war chest.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

There's no need to mock his weight!!

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Does reporting to Twitter even do anything? I thought even the act of hinting at something so horrible gets people banned.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

They're already panicking. They've been courting his money, and now it's come.

*Trump denies conversation.

What's interesting in this article is that it also points out how Citizen's United makes it almost impossible for the RNC to actually control a candidate. Even when Trump's own money runs out - if it does - a SuperPAC will just swoop in to carry him to the finish line. Realistically there is nothing Priebus can do to reign Trump in except explicitly refuse to allow him to be a candidate for the primary, which would basically implode the party if not handled delicately.

Can the RNC even realistically do anything to stop their frankenstein's monster at this point except to hope that he flames out? He's called their biggest voting block they're courting a bunch of rapists and has even maintained chickenhawk support despite swiftboating McCain. What other pillars of 2016 for the GOP is he going to be able to burn to the ground before, or even IF, people get tired of him? I can't wait

And then you think, I can't think of a single reason why he wouldn't do this every four years

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
The GOP has been gunning for a big split for the past 7 years. I wonder if Trump is what finally makes it happen.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

The GOP has been gunning for a big split for the past 7 years. I wonder if Trump is what finally makes it happen.

:pray: because :suspense:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Imagine historians having to report on this in a hundred years

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Flaggy posted:

Does reporting to Twitter even do anything? I thought even the act of hinting at something so horrible gets people banned.

Twitter has been getting a bit better about harassment, but in the context of "Ha, X would rape Y," I don't think they'd take it too seriously.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

We don't know who struck first, us or him, but we do know it was us who poisoned the skies. At the time we believed trumps robo-body was dependant on solar power...

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Thought this was amusing

quote:

@LindaHogan

@FoxNews We need @realDonaldTrump . Stop licking your wounds &look 4ward becuz we need action #VOTE4TRUMP

That's Hulk Hogan's ex-wife, btw. She took him to the cleaners when they divorced. Can't imagine why she'd be pro-Trump....

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Trump is also pretty chummy with Vince McMahon, so I'd imagine the Hogans got to rub elbows with him a ton.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

smg77 posted:

At what point do the real powers within the GOP start panicking? I assumed they would have done something to kill his candidacy before the first debate but it seems like he has too much momentum at this point for them to keep him out of it. Are they just hoping that he flames out on his own?

Two of the king-makers have already directly intervened and failed. They're already panicking.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Xenophobic populist splits minority party into moderates and ideologues, causing a political realignment that happens every 25 years or so?
They're kinda used to it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

HootTheOwl posted:

Xenophobic populist splits minority party into moderates and ideologues, causing a political realignment that happens every 25 years or so?
They're kinda used to it.
Yeah but this one had a reality tv show.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I thought you all might like this. (From the American Conservative)

We believe in one Market,
Objective and Free,
maker of assets and security,
of all that is prosperous and possible.
We believe in the one true force, the Invisible Hand,
the Logic of the Market,
eternally co-existing with the Market,
regent of riches, assurance of efficiency,
trumpeter of technology, power behind politics.
Through him all transactions are made.
For us and for our prosperity
he gives value to all money
and enables all commerce;
by the power of the American Dream
he becomes incarnate in the hearts of all free men.
For our sake he guarantees the equitability of all commerce,
he re-assures all the laborers,
emboldens all the entrepreneurs,
and casts aside all the idle.
He ensures all debts will ultimately be repaid.
He is revealed in glory in America but his kingdom has no end nor boundary.
We believe in the American Dream, the hope and giver of the life abundant,
who proceeds from the Market and who with the Invisible Hand is worshiped and glorified.
He has spoken through Adam Smith and his economists.
We believe in one holy and universal Spirit of Growth.
We acknowledge the cost and risk of our choices.
We look for the extension of credit,
and the affluent life that is certain to come. Amen.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I'd love to see a line by line take down of this where there is a link to the GOP basically breaking each of these beliefs since at least Reagan.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

ToastyPotato posted:

I'd love to see a line by line take down of this where there is a link to the GOP basically breaking each of these beliefs since at least Reagan.
Pretty sure that's meant tongue in cheek.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ToastyPotato posted:

Bush basically went against every single line during his two terms of office, which is pretty funny for someone who's belief in Free Market ideology was about as close to perfect as it could get.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Pretty sure that's meant tongue in cheek.

Yeah, the American Conservative is the fascist-leaning magazine that has always opposed the free market because companies' amoral greed will drive them to all sorts of unwholesome practices like selling condoms, employing gay people, and not being loudly and publicly Christian.

I assumed it was a takedown of the big business wing of the Republican party who aren't sufficiently conservative enough in areas where a woman's or a homosexual's or athiest's money spends just as well as a WASP's.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

American Conservative is a paleocon rag that employs Rod Dreher to muse on how maybe Putin has some good ideas and that maybe Orthodox Christian theocracy wasn't so bad after all

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

ToastyPotato posted:

Its meant to mock Capitalism uber alles that predominates amongst the GOP.

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah, the American Conservative is the fascist-leaning magazine that has always opposed the free market because companies' amoral greed will drive them to all sorts of unwholesome practices like selling condoms, employing gay people, and not being loudly and publicly Christian.

I assumed it was a takedown of the big business wing of the Republican party who aren't sufficiently conservative enough in areas where a woman's or a homosexual's or athiest's money spends just as well as a WASP's.

Basically yes. Althouh Dreher actually isn't that fond of capitalism as a whole. The AC when it comes to economics falls into three groups, distributists like Dreher, Keynesians like Buchanon, and libertarians.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 23, 2015

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Apparently the black man who had been protesting against the removal of the confederate flag was on the way home from a rally, saw a car full of 'angry looking black men', and was so startled he swerved off the road and rolled his car, killing himself.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Good Citizen posted:

Apparently the black man who had been protesting against the removal of the confederate flag was on the way home from a rally, saw a car full of 'angry looking black men', and was so startled he swerved off the road and rolled his car, killing himself.

Can you link a source? He survived long enough to explain why he crashed, and actually said that?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Can you link a source? He survived long enough to explain why he crashed, and actually said that?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/07/21/us/mississippi-to-investigate-death-of-a-black-man-who-raised-confederate-flag.html?referrer=

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

"....and thus began the reign of the Glorious Trump dynasty. Long life to our glorious King Trump the VII. The one true Trump. Death to the Usurper, the false Trump who squats in the Seattle radzone and plots war upon the rightful heir."

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Sounds like a car-chase scene. I hope there'll be a follow-up article at some point with more objective details.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

"....and thus began the reign of the Glorious Trump dynasty. Long life to our glorious King Trump the VII. The one true Trump. Death to the Usurper, the false Trump who squats in the Seattle radzone and plots war upon the rightful heir hair."

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Someone's got the violins out for a copper who was killed at a traffic stop, anyone have those stats handy about construction workers being more likely to die on the job or whatever?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

It looks like Fox might be starting to move back to the Iran nuclear deal again with this article:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07/22/republicans-call-on-obama-to-reveal-side-deals-in-iran-nuke-agreement/

quote:

Secretary of State John Kerry and other top administration officials will face tough questions on the Iran deal at a Senate hearing Thursday, as lawmakers raise new concerns about alleged secret "side deals" struck with Tehran over its nuclear program.

"That we are only now discovering that parts of this dangerous agreement are being kept secret begs the question of what other elements may also be secret and entirely free from public scrutiny," Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., said in a statement.

Kerry briefed lawmakers on Capitol Hill on Wednesday, but skeptics of the deal appeared to emerge from the meeting with even more questions. Some lawmakers, like Cotton, vowed to fight to "kill this deal."

But their latest concern is over the supposed side agreements. Cotton and Rep. Mike Pompeo, R-Kan., first brought attention to them Tuesday, saying they learned from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) that there were two "side deals" between Iran and the IAEA.

According to the lawmakers, one agreement covers inspection of the Parchin military complex, and the other concerns potential military aspects of Iran's nuclear program. On the former, they said, Iran would be able to strike a separate arrangement with the IAEA concerning inspections at Parchin.

House Speaker John Boehner and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell joined Cotton and Pompeo in sending a letter to President Obama on Wednesday requesting that the agreements be made available to Congress so that they can be reviewed.

"We request you transmit these two side agreements to Congress immediately so we may perform our duty to assess the many important questions related to the JCPOA [Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action]," the letter says.

Kerry testifies alongside Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz and Treasury Secretary Jack Lew before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Thursday.

National Security Adviser Susan Rice, while defending the overall nuclear agreement, appeared to acknowledge the existence of the side deals on Wednesday. She said the matter of the Iran nuclear program's "possible military dimensions" (PMD) has long been an issue between Iran and the IAEA. She said they "negotiated and concluded an agreement to deal with this issue of PMD, which was one of the major sticking points in our dealings."

She added: "These documents are not public, but nonetheless, we have been briefed on those documents, we know their contents, we're satisfied with them and we will share the contents of those briefings in full in a classified session with the Congress. So there's nothing in that regard that we know that they won't know."

Pompeo also asked Kerry about the secret deals in a briefing Wednesday and said afterwards that Kerry "confirmed that there were in fact side deals and himself had not seen the agreement."

"I was incredibly surprised to learn there were components of the deal that Congress was not going to be privy to," Pompeo said, adding that he had expected that American negotiators would have demanded to see the side deals being cut.

The letter to Obama expressed concern that Congress was being kept in the dark.

"Most troubling, Iran and the IAEA reached agreement to resolve issues related to research at Parchin, but Congress will not have the ability to review this agreement, nor will we know the results of the IAEA's assessment until December 15," the letter says.

It goes on to request access to the side deals so that Congress can effectively review the deal as a whole:

"Failure to produce these two side agreements leaves Congress blind on critical information regarding Iran's potential path to being a nuclear power and will have detrimental consequences for the ability of members to assess the JCPOA," the letter says.

Based on my limited understanding of this, it seems like the IAEA(International Atomic Energy Agency) made additional deals with Iran in regards to Iran's nuclear program. The republicans in congress are jumping all over this, calling these deals "side deals" and in general being dishonest about what is going on. It seems like the right is banking on people just getting upset about Iran being dealt with at all and are automatically going against the whole thing. Hell, they are claiming that Kerry was involved in these deals when he is reported to have said he hadn't seen the agreements himself. Keep in mind with all this that the IAEA is an organization based in Austria, which is, strangely, outside of the united states.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Is that really a battle they want to fight after Cotton and his ilk went around the process with their letter to Iran saying "DON'T TRUST THE PRESIDENT"?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Not In Iran's Back Yard doesn't have the same ring to it.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

Based on my limited understanding of this, it seems like the IAEA(International Atomic Energy Agency) made additional deals with Iran in regards to Iran's nuclear program. The republicans in congress are jumping all over this, calling these deals "side deals" and in general being dishonest about what is going on. It seems like the right is banking on people just getting upset about Iran being dealt with at all and are automatically going against the whole thing. Hell, they are claiming that Kerry was involved in these deals when he is reported to have said he hadn't seen the agreements himself. Keep in mind with all this that the IAEA is an organization based in Austria, which is, strangely, outside of the united states.

The IAEA has been obsessed with getting into the military facility at Parchin for years now, to the point that it was hurting their credibility. As the side deals relate to Parchin and the potential military applications of Iran's nuclear program, which go hand in hand, I would imagine these side deals will be the IAEA ensuring its opportunity to visit and inspect the facility. I don't see the IAEA cutting a deal to say "we promise we won't go to this place that we've been obsessed with inspecting." I would be shocked if that was the case.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Regarding Trump's comment about McCain:

Obviously it's a lovely comment, and he deserves all the flak he gets.

But Chris Rock said the exact same thing as a joke in his last HBO special "Kill The Messenger" (which is really funny, if you all haven't seen it.) I don't remember there being any uproar then. Now, I get that Chris Rock is a comedian and not running for office, but he still said it. So where was all the outrage then?

I'm going to be blunt: I really have no point here, nor do I have any issue with Chris Rock at all. I'm just curious how his joke went under the radar but Trump's comment didn't somehow.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

You said it; because Trump is running for President. Also, Chris Rock gets a free pass in a lot of instances because he criticizes black "culture."

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
People not taking Chris Rock seriously is literally the point of his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He's probably given a pass because of it being part of a comedy routine - because his comedy often relies on hyperbole and sarcasm he can get plausible deniability of meaning it.