Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Legit felt sad for Bill :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

insider posted:

So I think this episodes puts the obvious Mr. Robot is Tyler Durden theory to the test.

He is obviously interacting with the other characters and even breaking poo poo in this episode. It could still be a Fight Club situation where they are the same person but split personality, but its not as completely obvious as it was in the first couple episodes. I still think they could go either way.

I think it is a split personality disorder that the rest of the crew has come to accept. Mr. Robot wasn't acknowledged at all by the other 2 guys in the van during that whole Steel Mountain mission. I still think Elliot is the one doing the physical actions that we see. The card swipe at Starbucks, the smashing of computers, the lecture he gave to Darlene at the end of the episode, etc. And just like a Durdening, the protagonist is off to the side not interacting with anyone else, so it's always one person actually DOING something.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

DivisionPost posted:

I gotta admit, this was a really good episode. But unless this show can prove by next week that Sam Esmail has a truly satisfying ending in mind and it'll never spin its wheels on the way to that ending then I'm gonna have to drop it

:what: "really good episode but maybe I won't watch it anymore!"

Great episode. Darlene interacting with Mr. Robot certainly makes for interesting theories. Split person maybe, who know, who cares, as long as the ride is satisfying.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Great episode. Darlene interacting with Mr. Robot certainly makes for interesting theories. Split person maybe, who know, who cares, as long as the ride is satisfying.

They literally showed the same thing happening in fight club so there is precdent.

Forked road shot was a little too on the nose but good episode overall.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
It doesn't really matter what they showed in Fight Club and the comparisons are getting pretty trite. Is the story taking place in the same universe as Fight Club? Or are the same people writing it? No. So let them tell their own loving story with the devices that they choose and judge it when it's over or stop watching it.

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Wait, I'm lost, can someone explain the past due letters she found?

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

GZA Genius posted:

Good call. I also completely missed what was going on here. Anyone catch it?

I assumed it was her dad was in super debt too but I wasn't paying attention enough when the scene first started.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Past due medical bills. Dozens of them. He's probably dying of something and either can't afford to pay them, or doesn't want to.

The first bill she looked at was from the radiology department of a local hospital.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!

GZA Genius posted:

Her dad has cancer. The hospital bills listed radiology treatments, payable to E Corp Insurance.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

electricmonk500
May 6, 2007
Wow, I've been watching TV all wrong. Before I would just watch each episode and then watch the next one if I found myself enjoying the show and if the show became stupid at some point then I'd stop. Little did I know that you actually have to decide within the first season whether you will watch the whole goddamn show, and after every episode threaten that you might stop watching to show off your latent precognitive TV show plot-sense to a bunch of people who foolishly just like the show and take it an episode at a time.

But yeah, another great episode. I suppose we are lead to believe that the dark army got everything they wanted when Angela loaded their disk at Allsafe? Just not sure if I read that right. Has there been anything to suggest what exactly the dark army wants with allsafe other than the obvious potential that hacking such a company would have?

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Thanks, I was afraid I missed some major plot point or something

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Tiggum posted:

No, she went back to Allsafe because of her daemons. The point was that we're all driven by these subconscious decisions.

Just throwing this out there because the show didn't make this clear enough, but she was carrying a literal daemon program on that disk. :v:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
drat that episode hit all the right spots.

I mean, I feel like this show's mechanical method of building tension in scenes is super obvious and a bit irritating, but none of it feels halfassed in the least and I like how every one of the scenes in the episode felt interesting and effective.

And ":downs: Sure...I eat lunch..." killed me.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

BrianWilly posted:

drat that episode hit all the right spots.

I mean, I feel like this show's mechanical method of building tension in scenes is super obvious and a bit irritating, but none of it feels halfassed in the least and I like how every one of the scenes in the episode felt interesting and effective.

And ":downs: Sure...I eat lunch..." killed me.
Yeah this is pretty much what I was going to say as well. I like how all-in they are with Elliot's weirdness. He gets this big, important James Bond moment to maybe pretend that he's smooth under pressure or that he can keep himself in check when he needs to and instead he just can't stop being awkward.

Also I think "Oh...you know...Obamacare" might be my favorite line from the show so far. It's just such a perfectly dumb fake answer to give.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

It doesn't really matter what they showed in Fight Club and the comparisons are getting pretty trite.
I think it's pretty natural that people are comparing this to Fight Club given the obvious similarities/themes. I do agree though that the weekly speculation on whether or not Robot is real is pretty pointless. It's not like some episode is just going to have a big A-ha! moment where the show drops a major hint about what the deal with him is. The show very obviously is making you question whether he's real or not, but it also obviously has an actual answer in mind, even if that answer ends up being that we'll never know. Even if some episode has a major hint that leans one way, it doesn't actually mean anything because the show can still just decide that the opposite is true because it's ultimately up to the writer. Elliot straight up says that he's not sure if Robot is even real in the first episode because that's the whole premise of the character/show. The inconsistencies and questionable situations are all by design and there's no point trying to "solve" what is very obviously not an actual puzzle.

VDay fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 23, 2015

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Making Fight Club, but without a sense of humor or irony, was a terrible idea.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
There were 4 cups of coffee at the table though :colbert:

Also if it were Elliot blowing up in front of Darlene then basically doing a 180, ummm, that's hosed up and her of all people didn't actually react to that.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Wellick's been my favorite television show antagonist this year. I would say his character is far-fetched but my brother worked for a hedge fund and his superiors were straight up lizard people in the same vein.

Interesting aside (for me, at least): E(vil)-Corp's billing department is in the same area I grew up in and County Line Rd. is actually far out in the boonies. The zip code puts it right in the middle of Topeka instead. There's no Stoneycroft but it's weird seeing something semi-familiar in a show when you're from a smallish city.

wukkar posted:

Legit felt sad for Bill :(.

I know. :( That poor dude seemed so unsure and frightened by Elliot.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Sober posted:

There were 4 cups of coffee at the table though :colbert:

Also if it were Elliot blowing up in front of Darlene then basically doing a 180, ummm, that's hosed up and her of all people didn't actually react to that.
Elliot could have imagined Monsieur Robot buying and drinking the coffee.

In fact, we could just unleash the full 'sperg and say that Elliot could have imagined anything that Mr. Robot did or said to Darlene.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So this episode was loving amazing. Did anyone catch just how many parallels to Breaking Bad were presented? It's like every scene was some climax from a Breaking Bad episode. You've got Elliot being targeted by a criminal element, sneaking into the enemy's facility to plant something, straight up telling a person they're worthless, someone calling up someone else to tell them a lie so major that it distracts them from their day-to-day, a bad rear end "I framed you, deal with it" moment, drug-life character turns clean then gets into deep poo poo almost immediately, protag pretending to be friendly with the enemy then having a nervous breakdown mid-mission... gently caress I'm still typing this and I haven't even gotten to the "person breaks bad due to cancer bills" part! Someone says something blatantly offensive during dinner, a major plan gets blown to poo poo.... gently caress okay, I'm done. Seriously, this is the Breaking Bad episode and I loved it. It pretty much makes up for the "3x longer than it needed to be" dream sequence and then some.

Speaking of that dream sequence, I think the only reason nobody here is analyzing it is because it's one of those classic "if you try to interpret this, only 10% of you will be correct because most of it is either misleading, pointless, or will only end up mattering in future episodes anyway" types of scenes that, let's face it, we're sick of. All the foreshadowing from Arrested Development and most of it from Breaking Bad was only really enjoyable when you got it presented to you in a Buzzfeed listicle; trying to figure it out live is a pain.

As for Mr. Durden, there's one big fat reason why I want to say he's a real person. In that interview video, Slater seems to really enjoy the work he's doing and a lot of fans are watching the show because of him, apparently. It wouldn't make much sense to get rid of such a popular character (gently caress, the show's named after him so he's obviously in for the long haul) while also holding out for the Durden reveal until a point past season 1. So really, the only way Slater can stick around is if Elliot acknowledges the Durden and then treats it as an acceptable thing but then we have to watch him do his stupid poo poo in the future and still feel OK about Elliot as a main character? Nah, that works as well as having the Durdening stay a secret for longer than a season: it doesn't at all.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 23, 2015

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!
The dinner party was probably the most bizarre part of the episode. I know that the theme of the episode was finding people's vulnerabilities, but what is Wellick planning to achieve with the wife of the future CTO?

My guess is he will string her into an affair (or perhaps a prize for his wife), then use it to put pressure on the other guy to bailout of accepting E-corp's CTO offer.

In a gross kind of way, I found him challenging her on the toilet to be kind of sexy. Especially when she responded in kind and gave him a beaver shot. She knows what's up, and was perhaps hoping to have lured wellick away with her toilet remark?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

DivisionPost posted:

I gotta admit, this was a really good episode. But unless this show can prove by next week that Sam Esmail has a truly satisfying ending in mind and it'll never spin its wheels on the way to that ending then I'm gonna have to drop it

I have to ask, what on Earth could the show possibly do in the space of six episodes that would convince you that it'd stick the landing in five seasons' time? And not gently caress up at any point in between?

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!
I"m kind of hoping that we'll see the fall out of distablising e-corp. Many shows have one of two outcomes:

1) The hero stops the bad guys at the last minute, and its crisis averted (aka 24)
2) The world is already broken so the universe of the show is in a post apocalyptic state already (dark angel)

This could be a good opportunity for cause and effect or "every action has consequences" to play out. Everything sounds great to Elliot and his cabal when they're in the throws of destroying e-corp, but what happens when it actually happens. If E-Corp is as big as its supposed to be, then it won't be all rosy when they get hosed.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

adrenaline_junket posted:

The dinner party was probably the most bizarre part of the episode. I know that the theme of the episode was finding people's vulnerabilities, but what is Wellick planning to achieve with the wife of the future CTO?

My guess is he will string her into an affair (or perhaps a prize for his wife), then use it to put pressure on the other guy to bailout of accepting E-corp's CTO offer.

In a gross kind of way, I found him challenging her on the toilet to be kind of sexy. Especially when she responded in kind and gave him a beaver shot. She knows what's up, and was perhaps hoping to have lured wellick away with her toilet remark?

I got the sense that the wife was the real power behind the couple. After all, she was the one who arranged the position for her husband and she knew exactly what kind of person Wellick was the minute he barged in on her in the toilet.

I think she's going to end up being Wellick's partner in crime and sell her husband for a position at ECorp.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

lmao

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son
This episode was great but what the gently caress is up with the toilet domination scene?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Stereo posted:

This episode was great but what the gently caress is up with the toilet domination scene?
Eliot's Evil Twin lives in a bizarro MRA world where dominating someone is the best way to attracting them.

Wikipedia has the names of all the ten episodes this season. 8 or 9 is White Rose, so I guess they won't deal with the Chinese soon.

In any case, this episode bored me. Bromides about social engineering and whatnot; also, I realised I don't care about any characters apart from Eliot's Evil Twin. Have fun watching!

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

VDay posted:

Yeah this is pretty much what I was going to say as well. I like how all-in they are with Elliot's weirdness. He gets this big, important James Bond moment to maybe pretend that he's smooth under pressure or that he can keep himself in check when he needs to and instead he just can't stop being awkward.

If anything, his weirdness gives him a pass where a lot of spy movies would have the protagonist get caught. He's just weird, so him acting funny isn't really cause for suspicion. When he ran into Wellick in Stone Mountain, there was a long pause and he didn't really have a good story as to why he was there. But, he's Elliot so it just got dismissed.

And the menu when the guys in the van were hacking into Stone Mountain was hilarious, they had a menu for Social Engineering tools.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What songs were used in this episode? This is really good and well shot too and I kind of worry the really bad name will stop it being popular and get it cancelled :v:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I didn't understand the dinner party power move of insulting the wife and then watching her tinkle, but that probably just means I'm not alpha enough to ever get anywhere in life.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Frackie Robinson posted:

I didn't understand the dinner party power move of insulting the wife and then watching her tinkle, but that probably just means I'm not alpha enough to ever get anywhere in life.

It's like Chapter 2 of any 80's business self-help book.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jose posted:

What songs were used in this episode? This is really good and well shot too and I kind of worry the really bad name will stop it being popular and get it cancelled :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlTT2mPA5BA

At the end there.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

DaveKap posted:

Speaking of that dream sequence, I think the only reason nobody here is analyzing it is because it's one of those classic "if you try to interpret this, only 10% of you will be correct because most of it is either misleading, pointless, or will only end up mattering in future episodes anyway" types of scenes that, let's face it, we're sick of. All the foreshadowing from Arrested Development and most of it from Breaking Bad was only really enjoyable when you got it presented to you in a Buzzfeed listicle; trying to figure it out live is a pain.

Kind of what I was getting at. I think in general people are less willing to put as much effort into watching shows as they would've done at one time, to actually devote huge amounts of time to puzzling out every single detail. Maybe it's a hangover from the disappointment of something like Lost that actively encouraged that kind of obsessive analysis, but ultimately couldn't provide enough meat to justify it. it's harder now not to be cynical whenever another show ventures into the same territory, especially where things like dream sequences are concerned.

Anyway, the latest preposterous theory I've been pondering is that The Dark Army is actually all bullshit and is just a front for whatever Wellick is up to, because how else would he happen to be in that exact place the moment Elliot showed up, and also "The Dark Army" sounds like a dumb fake name someone made up for a joke. Maybe the whole thing was set-up so he could test/manipulate Mr Robot's crew for some reason, although I can't think of one because I haven't really thought this through.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The big thing I noticed in this episode was the way Darlene spoke completely differently to Elliott than to Mr Robot. She was definitely treating them as separate people. And yet the two guys consistently behave like Mr Robot isn't there. It doesn't make sense if he does exist or if he doesn't, unless you assume that way more of what's happening is just Eliot's imagination, but that would be pretty dumb.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 24, 2015

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
"The show is good and I like it, but there's this nagging doubt in the back of my mind, that at some indeterminate and hypothetical point in the future, the quality might slip a little. Maybe the ending won't be as good as I hoped, or a twist will retroactively ruin my enjoyment of episodes I've already enjoyed. Maybe it will be too similar to a movie that I liked. I don't know if I could handle any of those things, so it's probably for the best that I just stop watching now.

This is how normal people watch television, right?"

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Pulp Can Move posted:

"The show is good and I like it, but there's this nagging doubt in the back of my mind, that at some indeterminate and hypothetical point in the future, the quality might slip a little. Maybe the ending won't be as good as I hoped, or a twist will retroactively ruin my enjoyment of episodes I've already enjoyed. Maybe it will be too similar to a movie that I liked. I don't know if I could handle any of those things, so it's probably for the best that I just stop watching now.

This is how normal people watch television, right?"

Why watch a TV show like a normal person when you can be an obnoxious goon who never enjoys anything and ruins everything for everyone else in the process and never enjoying anything?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
What language is the American Psycho couple speaking? I'm normally pretty good at identifying foreign languages, but this one's driving me nuts.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

DivisionPost posted:

What is the character limit to thread titles? Can we make an exception in this case?

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!
The only thing that bummed me out in this episode was the lack of real life meta references. I went to hit up Sam Sipeo on google and there was no entry for him.

How I Met Your Mother used to go to the trouble of registering domains and launching microsites to support the URLs that were dropped by characters in the show. I was hoping for the same thing in this episode... At least a wikipedia entry :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

adrenaline_junket posted:

The only thing that bummed me out in this episode was the lack of real life meta references. I went to hit up Sam Sipeo on google and there was no entry for him.

How I Met Your Mother used to go to the trouble of registering domains and launching microsites to support the URLs that were dropped by characters in the show. I was hoping for the same thing in this episode... At least a wikipedia entry :(

the irc chat was on freenode, does that count?

• Locked thread