Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ck2 players have finally discovered eu4 and think people give a poo poo about their rulers' stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mottbag
Nov 11, 2009
What is the max amount of aggressive expansion you can take before you get coalitions of doom against you?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

mottbag posted:

What is the max amount of aggressive expansion you can take before you get coalitions of doom against you?

30 is the minimum. They still might not join/form at that point though depending in your strength, alliance network and their overall opinion of you.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I may or may not have forgotten to set the mean time to happen for my population growth event back to its proper value after initially setting it to 1 month to make sure it worked.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The interregnum finally ended, and THIS is what I got?

A loving cancer Habsburg?!?

Also it's a good thing diplomats are immortal, almost 34 years and not even halfway.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I may or may not have forgotten to set the mean time to happen for my population growth event back to its proper value after initially setting it to 1 month to make sure it worked.

Yikes. :stare:
It may or may not be pretty awesome though. How much tax income does France get from that?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

In Megacity Blue, Judge Effroi is the law!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Poil posted:

Yikes. :stare:
It may or may not be pretty awesome though. How much tax income does France get from that?
Only 252 a month, but that's because everywhere but Paris has 100% autonomy. My diminishing returns system really isn't meant for a country with 25k development in 1541, plus I think maybe having war exhaustion cause autonomy increases may have hosed them over a bit after getting their minimum autonomy set to 90%. Ming of course has a 1.9 million man (and growing) army, and a net income of 4k a month.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Ck2 players have finally discovered eu4 and think people give a poo poo about their rulers' stats.

I give a poo poo about my rulers stats in EUIV. Nothing like getting stuck with a 1/0/1 ruler who reigns for 50 years.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's really dull that vassals, marshes and PU'd nations just refuse to forge any claims. What's the point in being allowed to go to war on behalf of them if they just sit there all passive? They don't need to spam claims for the sake of my conquest but at least a few would be nice. Reclaiming lost territory is really useful, but they just sit with their diplomats and do nothing.

Oh, and why does admin level 10 unlock the theocracy government when you can't change into it, everyone who follows it already starts with it and it doesn't do anything at all?

Poil fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 23, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I feel like they should be a lot more likely to forge claims with military leaders or if there's same culture group land with their neighbours, maybe have the overlords' rivals influence that too.

If Moldavia is super happy with me as their overlord, and I have the OE set as rival they should totally make claims on those same culture group provinces.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

I feel like they should be a lot more likely to forge claims with military leaders or if there's same culture group land with their neighbours, maybe have the overlords' rivals influence that too.

If Moldavia is super happy with me as their overlord, and I have the OE set as rival they should totally make claims on those same culture group provinces.
Isn't this already the case? I PU'd Bohemia as Austria, and when I went to war against Poland to liberate some imperial territory I realized they had claimed every single Polish province on their border.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Isn't this already the case? I PU'd Bohemia as Austria, and when I went to war against Poland to liberate some imperial territory I realized they had claimed every single Polish province on their border.
It seems to be completely random (not even based on the AI leader type the country has) is the problem, I think. I have experienced this as well. As the Ottomans I vassalized Makuria and wanted to feed them Kaffa. Makuria is a Sunni country; Kaffa is in the same culture group but Orthodox. In a 100 years Makuria did not fabricate one claim on them - I had to conquer through a massive (though easy to beat) Adjuraan to get my own personal border with Kaffa so I could fabricat ethe claim, start the war, and then transfer all of the occupied territory over.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Thats because you had poland as a rival. Your subjects will pretty much only fabricate claims on your rivals.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I would like the ability to make a vassal forge a claim, maybe through the vassal interactions menu?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Sorced posted:

Thats because you had poland as a rival. Your subjects will pretty much only fabricate claims on your rivals.
You don't know me. :colbert:

Okay, if it really is completely random then that is kinda dumb. Should at least be rivals, people who rival you, plus anyone hostile, and just any neighbor if they have a militarist ruler.

Prop Wash posted:

I would like the ability to make a vassal forge a claim, maybe through the vassal interactions menu?
If that was possible it would at least be justified giving you a bit of AE for them fabricating claims, which I guess might be the reason for not letting vassals go nuts fabricating poo poo on all their neighbors? Alternatively you should be able to fabricate a claim on behalf of a subject, limited to what they would able to fabricate on of course.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

That'd be good, make it give a small liberation penalty too that gets doubled if you select a nation (selecting specific provinces might be too much) that's not a rival. The AE should probably transfer to you if they get caught as well.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

This is probably the hardest achievement I've gone for so far, and I'm not even sure I'll end up grabbing it. I can annex Brazil in the next war. French La Plata and French Colombia are both at 100% liberty desire and I'm supporting them both, but France is in a spiral of eternal hell wars (which it wins) and so they don't ever get the chance to declare for independence. I'm thinking of just declaring conquests and then taking as much land as I can by 1821. They always land their troops in Colombia, which is where most of my forts are, so I'll probably take that last.

My real problem is South Georgia there. The UK owns it, and the only CB I have is imperialism. There is a very low probability of me being able to get my fleet near London intact, let alone take it. I definitely need a CB as I need to use ticking warscore in order to get the 10%+ warscore needed to take the island. I'm kind of at a loss as to how to get one though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

No CB war, win battles to get to 10%.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Any chance GB are allied with France or Portugal? You could occupy South Georgia and ask for it in the peace from one of them when you conquest on colonies. I was always attacking colonies without trying to get them to be independent first. Just wait for the warscore to tick up and win battles and it was usually good for a good chunk of their land.

You could also declare imperialism on one of Great Britain's colonies in North America if they have any which might be easier to access.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

GB is rivaled with France and Portugal, who are allied to each other. GB also seems to have not gotten into the New World colonial game. I'll probably try and attack the French colonies without waiting for their independence during France's next big war against the HRE.

The no CB war isn't a bad idea, but I'm afraid they won't bother to land troops and I won't be able to win enough warscore off of naval battles. But it did make me realize I still have two idea groups left to pick, and I could probably use the religious war CB to win the war off a few naval battles using that.

Thanks for the help.

e: Oh, religious CB is neighboring nations. I think I'll try grabbing a non-SA province, selling that, and then grabbing South Georgia.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 23, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You could try selling them a province and then conquering it back too.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

420 Gank Mid posted:

Well look who just got herself appointed Dogaressa for Life

This must be the best luck I've ever had with the Ambrosian Republic event firing

My first Milan game (in a patch where you start as a monarchy) my first Republican ruler was a 20-year-old 6-5-6.

That was a very, very short-lived republic.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
How much opinion does the Return Province option give you? All the values are empty. (Returning (provincename) to (nationname) will increase their opinion of you by (opinionamount.))

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ok, it's 1520, I'm the Aztec, own all of Mexico and have all reforms. What do I do? Buy up to 5 admin and get exploration? And in which direction should I expand? The Europeans are probably in the south but I'd have to chain at least 5 tropical provinces which is even slower.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Berry is a shithole apparently

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

You could try selling them a province and then conquering it back too.

This did it. Brazil had been an English colony, so i sold them a province in the middle of my territory. Turns out I didn't need to take that safeguard as there were no battles in that war. I just let the warscore tick up and grabbed back my province and South Georgia.

I got the achievement. I am one of the 0.39% to be A Sun God according to Steam. Thanks for the advice.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So, here is a weird question:

If I am the HRE, can I make myself an elector somehow? The reason is, I am Pommerania, I am pretty large, and I am currently HRE. I am Catholic, and countries are joining leagues currently, and I think the war will be divisive and not give me anything worthwhile. I have no IA because every minor is protestant. I want to change to protestant, and I figure if I go through that hassle, I should reform into Prussia. I still want to be HRE though..... I understand that if I reform to Prussia I get the boot from HRE unless I am an elector. I also understand that converting will instantly cause me to lose the Emperor title, but I am pretty sure that if the league war comes out in Protestant favor I could get it back and actually start doing some reforms and whatnot. My other idea is that becoming Protestant will allow me to colonize without those treaty of tordesillas negatives.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If I am the HRE, can I make myself an elector somehow?

Nope. The Emperor can't give it to himself, so they only way to gain one as the Emperor is to inherit a country that does have a vote (see: Austria and Bohemia).

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I absolutely think that allowing vassals to manufacture claims is a terrible idea for game balance; however, I am open to the idea of the player being able to generate claims for vassals with their diplomats, at maybe 65% of the speed you can manufacture claims for yourself.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

420 Gank Mid posted:

Well look who just got herself appointed Dogaressa for Life

This must be the best luck I've ever had with the Ambrosian Republic event firing

I hate how the ruler of the ambrosian republic is no longer called Captain-General

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Nope. The Emperor can't give it to himself, so they only way to gain one as the Emperor is to inherit a country that does have a vote (see: Austria and Bohemia).

Is it a strict "inherit" like from a personal union, or can I annex them? I would *LOVE* to annex my arch nemesis Brandenburg, even though I would imagine the AE would be huge. Or can I force vassalize then Diplo-annex them and absorb it that way?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Whorelord posted:

I hate how the ruler of the ambrosian republic is no longer called Captain-General

Yeah, worst nerf of any patch in recent history.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

What? What did they change it to? Bastards!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Man, whoever mentioned Typus Orbis Terrarum a bunch of pages ago, thank you. At first I thought you were referring to the weird alt-hist 'missing continents' mod, but I finally remembered to go check it out today, and holy poo poo does it ever look sweet.

<e: removed a screenshot that's actually from his other project>

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is it a strict "inherit" like from a personal union, or can I annex them? I would *LOVE* to annex my arch nemesis Brandenburg, even though I would imagine the AE would be huge. Or can I force vassalize then Diplo-annex them and absorb it that way?

I'm reasonably sure it must be a PU; from there both an inherit and an integration will work to transfer the title I think.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 24, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

TTBF posted:

This is probably the hardest achievement I've gone for so far, and I'm not even sure I'll end up grabbing it. I can annex Brazil in the next war. French La Plata and French Colombia are both at 100% liberty desire and I'm supporting them both, but France is in a spiral of eternal hell wars (which it wins) and so they don't ever get the chance to declare for independence. I'm thinking of just declaring conquests and then taking as much land as I can by 1821. They always land their troops in Colombia, which is where most of my forts are, so I'll probably take that last.

My real problem is South Georgia there. The UK owns it, and the only CB I have is imperialism. There is a very low probability of me being able to get my fleet near London intact, let alone take it. I definitely need a CB as I need to use ticking warscore in order to get the 10%+ warscore needed to take the island. I'm kind of at a loss as to how to get one though.

I've been wanting to try that one as well, any advice on starting positions and how far along you want to be by the time Euros make it around?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm trying Sun God and oh my goddddddddddddddddddd it's boring. It's 1560, I've conquered the Andes and formed the Incan Empire, and Europeans haven't started colonizing South America yet. I've gotten lots of smallpox somehow, though.

I have three of the five religious reforms (including the one that gives you a colonist,) two colonists from exploration, and the colonist from expansion. I thought Portugal would have showed up by now.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Normally I have a pretty low regard for spergy map change mods (modmakers on the whole tend to have extremely weird priorities) but holy poo poo, they actually got the continents on the right latitude? :eyepop:

also that they didn't just throw out all the wasteland like most map mods do

If a mod can change it I really don't understand why Paradox doesn't do it themselves, it's completely bewildering and actually does have a pretty serious impact on the game.

e: after staring at the EU4 map for 600 hours, suddenly looking at the real thing is very weird :psyduck:

Koramei fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 24, 2015

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Koramei posted:

Normally I have a pretty low regard for spergy map change mods (modmakers on the whole tend to have extremely weird priorities) but holy poo poo, they actually got the continents on the right latitude? :eyepop:

also that they didn't just throw out all the wasteland like most map mods do

If a mod can change it I really don't understand why Paradox doesn't do it themselves, it's completely bewildering and actually does have a pretty serious impact on the game.

Whatever ridiculous projection they use probably just doesn't preserve latitude. It doesn't look great but I'm not sure why it would impact gameplay at all

And that map looks nice but it seems they also added a billion provinces for some reason

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

So I got the Peace of Westphalia- I was aiming for that because the wiki seemed to indicate that it was a way the emperor wouldn't get an authority penalty for princes in the HRE that weren't the right religion...but it looks like that penalty still appears when I hover over the authority box in the game. Did I misunderstand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Colonization ranges are totally out of whack in the base game. It's the reason you get colonies in really crazy places by countries that really shouldn't be there. If the simulation were deeper it would affect a whole bunch more than that too.

Also there literally aren't any new provinces aside from some sea zones to fill out holes for the new projection. Terrain is totally different but otherwise that's all completely untouched.

I said it before but normally I really hate these kinds of mods, but this one is actually insanely well done. I'm not sure how I feel about all the islands being to actual scale, that makes what's already a hellish experience even worse- and I want to actually play with it before I decide properly. But I'm really impressed from just looking around the map.

• Locked thread