Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Attitude Indicator posted:

Glossary > Tutorial > DLC, or something like that. it'll tell you where to get stuff.

Does this apply for console as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

None of what Yen does is "on a whim", that's the kind of wild mischaracterization I'm talking about. All of it is in the service of finding her daughter, who is being hunted by space elves. Is it that she doesn't consult the player that makes you think she's behaving without a plan?

She couldn't possibly have "had a plan" to use black magic before she knew that Skjall was dead. She decided to do that, on the spot, because she alone determined it was the only and best course of action. This is exactly what the Lodge did and they were eventually wrong.

Although I do know she was planning to teleport me over the lake, because I could see the portal floating in the sky on my way up to see her. It was already in the sky. (not serious, but it was already up in the sky)

edit: And considering the history of "The Last Wish", we already know that she isn't always right and sometimes her plans go horribly wrong.

edit:

10 Beers posted:

Does this apply for console as well?
On the PS4 version, DLC options can only be reached from the main menu (so you have to pause menu->quit to main menu), under Downloadable Content->Options.

Snak fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 23, 2015

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Snak posted:

She couldn't possibly have "had a plan" to use black magic before she knew that Skjall was dead. She decided to do that, on the spot, because she alone determined it was the only and best course of action.

Except in this case it was literally the only and best course of action. I mean, it's reckless and fucks up an entire community, but without consulting Skjall, who she knows was the last person to see Ciri alive, which is a thing that Yen knows, they would have no leads. Their only remaining witness is dead, and she knows how to get information from a dead person, it's not like she randomly picked a corpse to resurrect.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 23, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I don't understand why you keep bringing up the portal thing like it's a big deal. Yeah, Geralt doesn't like portals. He also doesn't like doublets and when people won't let him tell the story about the zeugl. He walks through a half dozen malfunctioning portals because loving Radovid asked him to, it's clearly less of an issue for Geralt than it is for you/your Geralt.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 23, 2015

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Snak posted:

On the PS4 version, DLC options can only be reached from the main menu (so you have to pause menu->quit to main menu), under Downloadable Content->Options.
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately, I'm on XBone. Does anyone who's on that know how to go about getting the DLC content, or does it download automatically? Is there a certain version number that I should be at if I have all of the DLC?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Well, to be fair for the necromancy bit: dude was the last guy to see Ciri alive based on the trail, they had zero leads beyond him. Geralt has (probably) finished following up the tracks in Velen and Novigrad to a brick wall. He was their last chance to find info, and he got werekacked.

So Yenn had to make a call. Dude was in relatively good condition, but that wouldn't last. In her mind Ciri is more important than a nice druid grove...and she's 100% right. Grove is dead, sucks, but if Ciri isn't found before the Hunt gets her the entire world dies. Ditto the reasoning for the necromancy--it's probably not really the person they're torturously interrogating, but even if it was the information was just that critical. Skjall survived the Hunt's attack, so he at least knew the direction she was fleeing in. That he saw Uma returning was an amazing stroke of luck.

Without Skjall, there was no way to connect Uma to Ciri, and the game would be 100 hours shorter.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Also earlier in the game Geralt makes a call to either help a cult of witches who kidnap and eat children and take human ears as payment, or else to help a creepy tree spirit that immediately murders an entire town, and all of that just to find the location of one old woman at the behest of a drunken wifebeater. Who is standing about 30 feet away the whole time

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

I don't understand why you keep bringing up the portal thing like it's a big deal. Yeah, Geralt doesn't like portals. He also doesn't like doublets and when people won't let him tell the story about the zeugl. He walks through a half dozen malfunctioning portals because loving Radovid asked him to, it's clearly less of an issue for Geralt than it is for you/your Geralt.

Because there is a difference between doing something out of necessity, and having something done to you explicitly to cause discomfort?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

TheStampede posted:

Because there is a difference between doing something out of necessity, and having something done to you explicitly to cause discomfort?

In response to Geralt behaving like a serious jerk, and yes, causing her discomfort. It's the magical equivalent of slamming a door.

"Necessity" here is also being used pretty loosely.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

"Necessity" here is also being used pretty loosely.

I mean, I guess he could have sat down in front of the first dungeon portal he encountered and gone, "Nuh, uh" but I get the impression that would have really ground things to a halt...

Oh, and hey, and if someone says something you don't like, just inflict physical discomfort on them. Justified!

Redheads are cuter anyways

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Mr T hated planes but the rest of the A Team would trick him into flying somehow. I feel Geralt is on about the same level.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

TheStampede posted:

I mean, I guess he could have sat down in front of the first dungeon portal he encountered and gone, "Nuh, uh" but I get the impression that would have really ground things to a halt...

But you are using two different standards, it's a necessity for the player to use portals in order to complete quests, but the vast majority of those quests aren't necessary for Geralt's story. If you really felt that strongly about Geralt using portals, you could totally refuse to use them and miss out on content.

But I actually think that would be inconsistent with Geralt's character. He doesn't *like* portals but he's willing to use them when there's no better option. Yen throwing Geralt through a portal (after he treats extremely insensitively) is not a bfd, it's not treated as a bfd by the game. That's entirely extra-textual.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

how anyone did not respond to that scene with laughter is beyond me

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Finally finished this last night after 2 months of playing. This was easily the best RPG I've played since the days of Baldur's Gate 2 and Deus Ex. Got the Ciri is Empress, Cerys is Queen, Geralt & Yen living the quiet life ending, which I think is probably the best possible world state. Nilfgaard's brutal, but so was everyone else, and everything now mostly united under relatively benevolent rulers seems like the best chance for this lovely, lovely world to have sustained peace. Triss is swell and all, but she's younger, still has ambitions. Geralt and Yen are just old and world-weary at this point, and seem meant to retire together.

In any case, I'm strongly of the belief that the next Witcher game should be a Ciri character action game co-developed w/ Platinum.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

I don't think it's unreasonable to apply two standards. In one, I chose to do something. In another, someone chose to do something to me. Also, that thing was explicitly done to make unhappy.

So, no its not a, "bfd". But it's still a lovely thing to do to someone.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

TheStampede posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to apply two standards. In one, I chose to do something. In another, someone chose to do something to me. Also, that thing was explicitly done to make unhappy.

So, no its not a, "bfd". But it's still a lovely thing to do to someone.

I'm pretty sure to get thrown in the lake via portal you have to not drop the fact that you hosed her friend when she asks you to drop it. That's also a lovely thing to do to someone.

I didn't get dumped in a lake though, so I'm not 100% sure (or a bad wizard boyfriend).

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Magni posted:

Wait until you meet the Champion of Champions. My reaction to that can be summed up as follows: "loving Skellige. :allears:"

Hahahah I forgot about him. My fight was bugged out and the random NPC were actually fighting not just standing there trash talking like I see in most videos of that fight. I got clipped more by random flying axes than the troll himself.

Pigbottom posted:

Speaking about crazy sorceresses. This is, for me one of the funniest dialog ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en2yYRWT_bY

:spergin: But if it's one way how can she hear him?

The Sharmat posted:

Technically, it was a guest bed. So if anything, it was Vesemir's. He gets his revenge by passive aggressively getting up at the crack of dawn and working loudly on the collapsing walls right outside of Yennefer's window.

If anything, I think this increased Yennefer's respect for him.

The best is when Lambert purposely puts the Dimetrium bombs in the room underneath her so the megascope won't work. :allears:

Shoehead posted:

Mr T hated planes but the rest of the A Team would trick him into flying somehow. I feel Geralt is on about the same level.

They used to always drug him. It was like a running gag on the show how they were going to knock him out to get him on the plane every A-Team episode.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

JetsGuy posted:

They used to always drug him. It was like a running gag on the show how they were going to knock him out to get him on the plane every A-Team episode.

hannibal was such a bad person

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

I don't recall exactly, but doesn't she bring it up as some passive-aggressive barb, then try to dismiss it, and your options are to drop it, or tell her to speak her mind?

Serious though, I just like cute redheads more, and don't think Yen's a monster or anything. Just talk'n

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

Except in this case it was literally the only and best course of action. I mean, it's reckless and fucks up an entire community, but without consulting Skjall, who she knows was the last person to see Ciri alive, which is a thing that Yen knows, they would have no leads. Their only remaining witness is dead, and she knows how to get information from a dead person, it's not like she randomly picked a corpse to resurrect.

I really liked that moment. Just the impact of Geralt reacting like "holy poo poo....you really doing this?" really brought out the impact of reanimating a corpse to interrogate about the whereabouts of our universe jumping monster-fighting ninja daughter.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I really liked that moment. Just the impact of Geralt reacting like "holy poo poo....you really doing this?" really brought out the impact of reanimating a corpse to interrogate about the whereabouts of our universe jumping monster-fighting ninja daughter.

I am not pleased that you didn't get the chance to clear Skjall's name. Dude deserved better.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
It's one way in that only Keira can initiate a conversation, but once she does they can have two way discussion until she "hangs up".

sertalman
Apr 4, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

I am not pleased that you didn't get the chance to clear Skjall's name. Dude deserved better.

"Geralt! This is no time to cheer up a corpse!" remains one the funniest lines I've seen in a videogame.

So, sorry to interrupt waifu chat, but is there any place where you can get monster feathers easily? I'd like to upgrade my wolf armor. I already tried the harpy feeding ground, but only got a couple drops.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Why are the Wild Hunt associated with cold and frost?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

I also think it's interesting how players experience their own actions as different than the same action taken by NPCs. I was watching a guy doing a Let's Play and he stopped to read the notice next to some scrub who got executed by the Nilfgaardians, "...for desertion." The player sighed and said, "Man, that's so harsh... I mean, I get it, it's a war... but, man."

He says this as he cuts his way though a group of hostile NPCs labeled "Deserter". NPCs he could have easily avoided, but they are worth XP and sometimes they drop chicken sandwiches.

Your DLC quest with the witcher is a really good example of this.

You can kill the Cat school witcher for slaughtering the village. But you do that poo poo all the time when you are playing the game - and if there was some quest where some peasants jumped you and stabbed you in the back you'd have killed them all too. I had to let him go once I thought about that.

Also, yes, Yen is a selfish person. That's been true of the character forever. But she does legitimately love Geralt and Ciri. She works better as a primary love interest in the books, I think. In the game you're like "I'm an invincible death machine that has tons of women falling all over me everywhere, why would I take your poo poo?" In the books Geralt is much more vulnerable. Sure he can take on like 3 normal dudes no problem,. but if he's gonna go fight a monster he has to seriously prepare, use potions, meditate, etc. He's not a superhero. Still kind of a sex machine though.

Also people are burning mages because of the ones like Philippa, not Yennifer.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

You sort of can near the end.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

I want to hear the zeugl story. Don't even know what a zeugl looks like, for all the times they get brought up.
I like to assume that that zeugl's the same that ate Princess Cendrilla.

Dominoes posted:

Why are the Wild Hunt associated with cold and frost?

Because their dimension-hopping powers imply they travel through, for lack of a better term, the space between spaces which is loving cold and they bring that cold along with them. Kinda like leaving the door open on a cold day.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

pik_d posted:

I'm pretty sure to get thrown in the lake via portal you have to not drop the fact that you hosed her friend when she asks you to drop it. That's also a lovely thing to do to someone.

I didn't get dumped in a lake though, so I'm not 100% sure (or a bad wizard boyfriend).

What actually happens in you have 3 options "I'm not going to grovel" "I'm sorry" and "I already told you, I lost my memory". If you say you aren't going to grovel, she chucks you in the lake. And for the record, I don't think it's a big deal, and it was funny, but it also is just another example of abusing sorceress powers because she can.

I'm just saying, this game has given me zero reasons to like Yen. Which doesn't mean she's a bad character, it just feels at odds with how we're supposed to feel about her. I think it's actually really well written in terms of making use feel how a lot of people must feel about magic users in general, because it's easy to dislike what we fear and don't understand, especially if the person who wields that power doesn't want to share or explain anything to us.

Sorceresses in general are always lying and manipulating. It's part of the not-so-subtle "Witchers are from Mars, Sorceresses are from Venus" theme that runs through The Witcher franchise.

Crappy Jack posted:

I mean, I get that it is from Yennifer's perspective, but you are literally arguing that it's the right thing to gently caress over an entire community because you think it will help you find your daughter faster. To argue that this is objectively good is :psyduck:

I mean, Geralt spent weeks so far following Ciri's trail and didn't feel the need to resort to the type of force and destruction that Yennifer has. Geralt actually has a modicum of diplomacy in his actions, probably because, as a Witcher, he needs to be able to work in these lands indefinitely. So the writers conveniently created not one, but two situations (so far) where "the only choice" was for Yennifer to be selfish, destructive, and disrespectful.

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!
Xbone goons - is anyone else unable to save their game?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I want to hear the zeugl story. Don't even know what a zeugl looks like, for all the times they get brought up.
I like to assume that that zeugl's the same that ate Princess Cendrilla.

Because their dimension-hopping powers imply they travel through, for lack of a better term, the space between spaces which is loving cold and they bring that cold along with them. Kinda like leaving the door open on a cold day.
Thanks; makes sense.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Spite posted:

Your DLC quest with the witcher is a really good example of this.

You can kill the Cat school witcher for slaughtering the village. But you do that poo poo all the time when you are playing the game - and if there was some quest where some peasants jumped you and stabbed you in the back you'd have killed them all too. I had to let him go once I thought about that.

He killed innocents and that's why I killed him. The village jumped him after he threatened the whole town that he'd be "worse than the Leshen". They panicked, which is understandable given it's an already angry guy with two swords and from the Cat School to boot. I don't blame the town for trying to jump him because it was the only chance they had against him. Yeah, they tried to cheat him, but literally threatening the town with death is a ridiculous reaction to that.

Regardless of how you feel about the circumstances of him being jumped though, there's no reason to slaughter the whole town. He's also done it before. gently caress him.

But hey, the fact that we disagree really highlights how amazing the writing in this game is.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

He killed innocents and that's why I killed him. The village jumped him after he threatened the whole town that he'd be "worse than the Leshen". They panicked, which is understandable given it's an already angry guy with two swords and from the Cat School to boot. I don't blame the town for trying to jump him because it was the only chance they had against him. Yeah, they tried to cheat him, but literally threatening the town with death is a ridiculous reaction to that.

Regardless of how you feel about the circumstances of him being jumped though, there's no reason to slaughter the whole town. He's also done it before. gently caress him.

But hey, the fact that we disagree really highlights how amazing the writing in this game is.
Not only Had it happened before, his attitude was basically "yeah I hosed up again, whatever. It happens". Like he stabbed people who were running away in the back. it's not like they all were trying to fight him. He executed them.

I guess those rumors about the crazy Cat school are true.

Dominoes posted:

Thanks; makes sense.
Also because the Wild Hunt is somewhat of an analogue to the Frost Giants of Norse mythology. What with Ragh nar Roog being analogous to Ragnarok.
edit2: I looked it up, and the ship made of fingernails (and toenails) of the dead is literally from Norse mythology as well. That;s pretty awesome.

edit: And yes, the fact that we are all disagreeing about whether the different actions of various characters are justified is testament to how well this game is written. The choices aren't just posed as morally ambiguous to "trick" us, they actually are somewhat ambiguous and the game isn't really keeping score on "how evil" we are or whatever.

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 23, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So I went back to playing with the new patch after a week break and...crashes are back. In the previous patch I deleted a lot of saves and disabled cloud synch and all crashing whatsoever stopped.

Now it's back to locking my PC every 10 minutes. I'm seriously losing patiance here, at this point I'd rather play a broken game than deal with CDPR loving up the game every time they upload something.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Snak posted:

I mean, I get that it is from Yennifer's perspective, but you are literally arguing that it's the right thing to gently caress over an entire community because you think it will help you find your daughter faster. To argue that this is objectively good is :psyduck:

I mean, Geralt spent weeks so far following Ciri's trail and didn't feel the need to resort to the type of force and destruction that Yennifer has. Geralt actually has a modicum of diplomacy in his actions, probably because, as a Witcher, he needs to be able to work in these lands indefinitely. So the writers conveniently created not one, but two situations (so far) where "the only choice" was for Yennifer to be selfish, destructive, and disrespectful.

It's not objectively good. I mean, Yen basically destroys a community and tears a soul screaming out of the void into a rotting corpse and tortures it into revealing the location of a girl he had a crush on before he died in agony, but it's the only recourse left in the story. There's no such thing as objectively good in the Witcher universe, but from Yen's perspective, Skjall is already dead but there's still a chance to save Ciri, and from that perspective, she's totally correct. Again, Geralt himself is making choices just as terrible left and right for the exact same reasons as Yen, only he tries to wrap it up in a Code that doesn't actually exist and pretending to be neutral in a world where neutrality just gets people killed, whereas Yen has the audacity to be upfront about the fact that she's doing terrible things for decent reasons.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Snak posted:

Not only Had it happened before, his attitude was basically "yeah I hosed up again, whatever. It happens". Like he stabbed people who were running away in the back. it's not like they all were trying to fight him. He executed them.

I guess those rumors about the crazy Cat school are true

It's really amazing to me how many redditors reacted like WHAT A BUNCH MONSTERS THAT TOWN WAS THEY TRIED TO CHEAT THE POOR PUT UPON WITCHER KILL THEM ALL! Then again, Reddit.

And yeah, that smile he gives when Geralt says, "this isn't the first time..." is just undistilled evil. Also if you let him even the odds with a swallow he throws a bomb in your face instead, which I couldn't blame him for. He got me that time so I instead said no. As Geralt said, "uneven odds is what you prefer". :xd:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Snak posted:

What actually happens in you have 3 options "I'm not going to grovel" "I'm sorry" and "I already told you, I lost my memory". If you say you aren't going to grovel, she chucks you in the lake.

She also lakes you if you try to bring up the amnesia again.

From what I know of the books, these kinds of arguments happened often enough so that people assume she'd have accidentally killed Geralt long ago if it weren't for the whole being-a-witcher thing.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Oxxidation posted:

She also lakes you if you try to bring up the amnesia again.

From what I know of the books, these kinds of arguments happened often enough so that people assume she'd have accidentally killed Geralt long ago if it weren't for the whole being-a-witcher thing.

Their first meeting she tries to throw him through a wall, and its only because of a Sign that he blunts that.

So....yeah.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

sertalman posted:

So, sorry to interrupt waifu chat, but is there any place where you can get monster feathers easily? I'd like to upgrade my wolf armor. I already tried the harpy feeding ground, but only got a couple drops.

Kill harpies --> collect harpy feathers ---> dismantle into monster feathers

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Yennefer is basically making choices a player character in a dark fantasy rpg would make. Namely, gently caress everybody who isn't a party NPC. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I liked Keira the best, she was fun. Can someone tell me in spoilers when/where I can have Yen portal me into the lake? I didn't do that the first runthrough.