Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
On the subject of serial killers and close calls, lesser-known killer Robert Lee Yates got very close to being caught at least twice but slipped away - once he refused to give a DNA sample on grounds of being a "family man," and once they were trying to look for a guy in a white Corvette, but the officer who pulled Yates over wrote down "white Camaro."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Basebf555 posted:

A famous profiler, Robert Ressler interviewed Kemper a few times. They were alone in a room together and Ressler pressed the button to summon the guard to end the interview but nobody came. When Ressler became visibly anxious Kemper said something like "You know I could break your neck and put your head on this table before anybody had a chance to get in here". Apparently that was Kemper's idea of a hilarious joke, the guard came a minute later and Kemper told Ressler he was just messing with him.

Ressler put that experience in one of his books and its been referenced a bunch of times in different t.v. shows(Criminal Minds)

Sure doesn't help that Kemper was loving enormous. Like... dude was a giant and a smart one at that.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Lmao now its my turn. Yeah I didn't read up until then. Sorry. Still, scary loving dude.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Astrofig posted:

So people have been making noise lately that Sandra Bland, that lady in Texas who died in custody, may actually have been dead in her mugshot:

http://www.hiphophangover.com/sandra-bland-was-already-dead-during-this-mugshot/

Personally, yeah I think it looks weird but it's a mug shot, they all look weird.

Well I guess they did a good enough job to fool me, because I think it looks like any other mug shot. She's got kind of a listless expression on her face but she's been through a traumatic experience; I've seen that look on plenty of faces in mug shots.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Frostwerks posted:

Like... dude was a giant and a smart one at that.
The scariest thing I learned about him when I read up on him after this thread is that Edmund Kemper is still alive. He's been denied parole twice but will be up again in 2017.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Astrofig posted:

So people have been making noise lately that Sandra Bland, that lady in Texas who died in custody, may actually have been dead in her mugshot:

http://www.hiphophangover.com/sandra-bland-was-already-dead-during-this-mugshot/

Personally, yeah I think it looks weird but it's a mug shot, they all look weird.

Man, here's two pictures of a women smiling and here's her mugshot where she's not smiling. Why does she look different?

I mean I don't see any clear evidence personally, and if she was already dead there would have to be a hell of a coverup involving many different people. I'm gonna go with Occam's Razor here and just say she hung herself.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
RIP Nick Nolte

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

ranbo das posted:

Man, here's two pictures of a women smiling and here's her mugshot where she's not smiling. Why does she look different?

I mean I don't see any clear evidence personally, and if she was already dead there would have to be a hell of a coverup involving many different people. I'm gonna go with Occam's Razor here and just say she hung herself.
Occam's razor isn't about going with the answer provided for you.

In that picture, though, she looks like she's been crying and is on the floor or being held against a wall. I don't think she's dead, there.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Serious Cephalopod posted:

In that picture, though, she looks like she's been crying and is on the floor or being held against a wall. I don't think she's dead, there.

Do they take mugshots like that, though? Or do they restrain them and get them at proper height? I honestly don't know.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

ranbo das posted:

They say she hung herself from a partition shorter than she was. I don't know the exact mechanics of hanging but I think that's a problem.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Kaizoku posted:

Do they take mugshots like that, though? Or do they restrain them and get them at proper height? I honestly don't know.

They don't restrain people, usually. In my county, at least, they stand in their own, they're photographed before intake, and they see a doctor before then for any injuries, especially head wounds.

That's what's supposed to happen, anyway.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Freudian posted:

They say she hung herself from a partition shorter than she was. I don't know the exact mechanics of hanging but I think that's a problem.
Suicide by hanging isn't like a movie where someone ties a rope to something high and jumps off a chair or bucket (though that does happen), they're generally found in a not-quite-sitting position against a wall or door or something. Especially in a jail cell or something where you'd have limited opportunities to plan how to die. I don't think there's ever really been any reason to think her death wasn't suicide, though that certainly shouldn't absolve the police of responsibility given what happened before and after she died.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Alereon posted:

Suicide by hanging isn't like a movie where someone ties a rope to something high and jumps off a chair or bucket (though that does happen), they're generally found in a not-quite-sitting position against a wall or door or something. Especially in a jail cell or something where you'd have limited opportunities to plan how to die. I don't think there's ever really been any reason to think her death wasn't suicide, though that certainly shouldn't absolve the police of responsibility given what happened before and after she died.

She was arrested after changing lanes, placed on a 5000 dollar bond, she last spoke with her friend that said this was all nuts and the tape they released of her arrest appears to be edited. They find her dead with a plastic bag as a noose. This is pretty drat unnerving.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Freudian posted:

Normally the way people hang themselves is just tie the rope to anything and just place their body weight on their neck. once they pass out they will not free themselves via spasming and die

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

ranbo das posted:

With a garbage bag, on a 5 foot wall when she's over 6 foot, and a garbage can is not allowed in the cells to begin with. Also they first claimed she used a bed sheet, which are also not allowed in cells.

Putting aside the whole illegal arrest thing, you cannot hang an adult person with a garbage bag, not even those big industrial ones. If it's intact it's too bulky and short to form a noose and if you tear it into longer pieces the strength (which is not enough to support a body in the first place) is further reduced.

Plus in the photo they released that was reputedly taken moments after discovering her body the trash can, which again should not be in the cell under any circumstances, has a standard clear bag in it. Why would they put a fresh bag in the can before taking the shot? There's no other bag visible, and the clear ones they obviously use would not be strong enough for a hanging under any circumstances. I've used these bags, even if you managed to fashion a noose and had something to tie it to that wasn't a foot shorter than you it would stretch quite a bit and then break.

There's a reason they don't allow this poo poo in the cells, and if she was going to kill herself with a garbage bag regular asphyxiation would be the more reasonable choice.

But she'd been talking about how she was going to sue the poo poo out of them as soon as she got out, had a very clear case of assault and police brutality, and was a civil rights activist. Whether they killed her deliberately or through grievous negligence they had every reason to try to cover it up as a suicide.

pienipple has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Jul 23, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Why do you think it serves the interests of truth or justice to deny that a depressed woman with a history of suicide attempts killed herself in police custody? Her suicide doesn't make what the police did to put her into custody okay, or relieve them of legal responsibility for her safety and supervision while in custody.Taking a leap past reality and into :tinfoil: to believe that they also murdered her for mysterious reasons just makes people disbelieve the true parts of the story. I don't want to start a D&D derail here over this case, but one of the major points in this thread over and over has been the need to view situations as they are, not just make up fanciful scenarios even if they are more interesting. The truth is already hosed up and offensive enough.

Edit: I hope you people are aware you're just re-enacting the Kendrick Johnson case, discussed previously in this thread, where a bunch of scumbags preyed upon the family to convince them that their son was murdered. This is bad and wrong.

Alereon has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Jul 23, 2015

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The only fanciful scenario is the one where cops brutalized a black woman, performed an illegal arrest, and are not held responsible when she died in their custody. Even if she did manage to hang herself with a trash bag, they are culpable because she was in their custody and they have regulations in place to prevent prisoner suicides like this, like not having loose items like at trash can with a bag in cells.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

pienipple posted:

The only fanciful scenario is the one where cops brutalized a black woman, performed an illegal arrest, and are not held responsible when she died in their custody. Even if she did manage to hang herself with a trash bag, they are culpable because she was in their custody and they have regulations in place to prevent prisoner suicides like this, like not having loose items like at trash can with a bag in cells.

I agree with all of this and also don't really know why it's being discussed itt.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I agree with all of this and also don't really know why it's being discussed itt.

Because it's the beginning of the unnerving story of how the police got away with yet another murder. This isn't some moldy article dug up from the backyard, this is fresh meat.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Screaming Idiot posted:

Because it's the beginning of the unnerving story of how the police got away with yet another murder. This isn't some moldy article dug up from the backyard, this is fresh meat.

We been getting at least one of those a week for the last year though, poo poo is hosed up and scary.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

This thread has, up until now, been about cases/tragedies/accidents etc that have already happened and as much information gleaned as is possible with the passing of time. This is a case in which nobody knows anything other than 'this poo poo is awful and should stop happening every week'.

I'm not suggesting it shouldn't be discussed, just that it seems strange that it's happening in this particular thread. :)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

pienipple posted:

But she'd been talking about how she was going to sue the poo poo out of them as soon as she got out, had a very clear case of assault and police brutality, and was a civil rights activist. Whether they killed her deliberately or through grievous negligence they had every reason to try to cover it up as a suicide.

All of this makes me wonder if the suicide was simply an attempt at one that went too well. She broke the law, got busted on camera for assaulting a police officer, was pissed about it... and they put her in a cell full of stuff to hurt herself with.

Plus, the police claim she admitted she had previously tried to kill herself, which if true (the source I saw it on seemed untrustworthy) is extra :smith:.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Jul 23, 2015

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Alereon posted:

Why do you think it serves the interests of truth or justice to deny that a depressed woman with a history of suicide attempts killed herself in police custody?

This is illustrative of the whole problem with the case. There's two versions of her intake papers: one printed out and filled out by hand, and the other on the computer, where the answers fromt he printout should have been entered identically. They don't match up. One says she was depressed and actively suicidal, the other doesn't. One says she had epilepsy and was taking medication for it, the other doesn't. Which one is right? At this point, no one knows. That's why it's dumb to even speculate at this point. We don't have an official cause of death, we don't have her medical history, we don't have anything but initial statements, a dash cam vid, and an internet hype machine revved up to max. More details are going to come out, and we'll be able to draw some real conclusions, but this whole "SHE WAS DEAD IN HER MUGSHOT!!!" reminds me of Reddit trying to sniff out the Boston Marathon bomber via cell phone pictures.

MisterBibs posted:

All of this makes me wonder if the suicide was simply an attempt at one that went too well. She broke the law, got busted on camera for assaulting a police officer, was pissed about it... and they put her in a cell full of stuff to hurt herself with.

So far, there's nothing to indicate she actually did assault a police officer. If they had video of her assaulting an officer, they would've released it by now.

How does it look like she's being held down? It doesn't look like she's been crying either, for that matter. It's a "I can't believe this poo poo" look.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

A Pinball Wizard posted:

This is illustrative of the whole problem with the case. There's two versions of her intake papers: one printed out and filled out by hand, and the other on the computer, where the answers fromt he printout should have been entered identically. They don't match up. One says she was depressed and actively suicidal, the other doesn't. One says she had epilepsy and was taking medication for it, the other doesn't. Which one is right? At this point, no one knows.

That's on the police department. They hosed up and they are rightfully being viewed as being suspicious because of it.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
That whole thing is really hosed up, but I don't think it counts as an unnerving story, tbh.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

A Pinball Wizard posted:

This is illustrative of the whole problem with the case. There's two versions of her intake papers: one printed out and filled out by hand, and the other on the computer, where the answers fromt he printout should have been entered identically. They don't match up. One says she was depressed and actively suicidal, the other doesn't. One says she had epilepsy and was taking medication for it, the other doesn't. Which one is right? At this point, no one knows. That's why it's dumb to even speculate at this point. We don't have an official cause of death, we don't have her medical history, we don't have anything but initial statements, a dash cam vid, and an internet hype machine revved up to max. More details are going to come out, and we'll be able to draw some real conclusions, but this whole "SHE WAS DEAD IN HER MUGSHOT!!!" reminds me of Reddit trying to sniff out the Boston Marathon bomber via cell phone pictures.

So far, there's nothing to indicate she actually did assault a police officer. If they had video of her assaulting an officer, they would've released it by now.

How does it look like she's being held down? It doesn't look like she's been crying either, for that matter. It's a "I can't believe this poo poo" look.

Her eyes are very dark and the rest of her face is lighter. It's definitely my subjective opinion (all of this is)- my point with that is she looks off, but not dead.

Her shoulders are scrunched up, she's flush against the background, and the lighting is terrible. She could be being held up against the wall, but she's not being fully supported, or there would be more scrunch, and officers would likely be visible.

Also, those waiting for evidence from the police department that complied with her unnecessary arrest and allowed her to die are ignoring the realities of how the justice system treats black women.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

RCarr posted:

That's on the police department. They hosed up and they are rightfully being viewed as being suspicious because of it.

When did I say it wasn't their fault? I'm saying we don't know which version is right, who hosed it up, whether it was intentional or not - basically nothing. Even saying it's suspicious is presumptuous at this point.

Also, those waiting for evidence from her medical history, the coroner, the DA's office, and actual real investigative journalists with experience outside of posting on Reddit.

ftfy

A Pinball Wizard has a new favorite as of 21:09 on Jul 23, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

A Pinball Wizard posted:

When did I say it wasn't their fault?

I didn't say you did. Not everything is a personal attack on your opinion. I was just making a point.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

A Pinball Wizard posted:

When did I say it wasn't their fault? I'm saying we don't know which version is right, who hosed it up, whether it was intentional or not - basically nothing. Even saying it's suspicious is presumptuous at this point.

ftfy

We do know who hosed it up. The attracting officer who should not have arrested her for a routine traffic warning, which he admits in the take of the incident.

That's what's unnerving. You can be arrested for nothing and dead in police custody very soon afterwards.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

We do know who hosed it up. The attracting officer who should not have arrested her for a routine traffic warning, which he admits in the take of the incident.

That's what's unnerving. You can be arrested for nothing and dead in police custody very soon afterwards.

He's not the only one who hosed up though, it seems like almost every official who was even tangentially involved hosed up. I know, Hanlon's Razor and all, but if you're to follow Hanlon's Razor it's just as unnerving because it means everyone involved with your arrest and jailing might be entirely incompetent. Whether by incompetence or malice, a person died and despite being in custody we don't know how. Gives me the heebies, at least.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Astrofig posted:

Since the hallways leading to her cell were recorded by surveillance cameras, it should be relatively easy to show footage of her walking to her cell.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.
Going back a page or two to near misses with serial killers reminded me of this anecdote I read on b3ta years ago.

http://b3ta.com/questions/decisions/post879014 posted:

Makes me shiver thinking about it even now

Early 1980s, I had an hour and a half journey to school each day, each way, and by the time I was 16 studies were starting to get a bit neglected as I discovered the bright lights of the West End and started going to three, four gigs a week. A railway strike gave me an opportunity to hatch a plan. You see, school wouldn't expect me to trudge halfway across South London, would they, so I could just tell my form master that I'd take some stuff home with me and sit it out. if I told my parents I was staying with a friend nearer school, they'd never check up. And there was one of my favourite bands playing at Gossips in Soho on an evening smack bang in the middle of the train strike.

So off I went to school the day before the strike. As it turned out I had actually arranged to stay with a schoolfriend who lived in a huge flat in Central London (but whose parents, curiously, were never, ever around) and who was happy to play along with the plan, off we went to the gig in the evening. The following day my mate, who wasn't quite so much into the whole bunking off thing, went into school, so I found myself mooching around Carnaby Street (very seedy at that time) waiting for another friend who worked nearby to knock off so we could go for a beer.

Enter Mr Plod. There's me, a youngish looking 16-year-old (though one, curiously, who never had problems getting served in pubs) hanging round on a street corner in an unsalubrious part of town, probably looking very out of place. This being the old stop & search days, his conversation opener was to ask me what was in my bag. So out come the books, all clearly marked with the name of my school on them - God knows, I must have decided I'd be doing some studying during my little jaunt - and I knew I was in the poo poo.

No point in lying, my school's name's on the books, as is my name, the only alternative to 'fessing up to bunking off is to somehow explain what I'm doing with them which would doubtless result in a trip to the station, so the policeman takes all my details, parents' phone number, school details etc. At best I am looking at an absolute bollocking from my parents and being grounded for a very long time, at worst I could be facing expulsion. I'm in deep poo poo in triplicate.

So I head off towards Charing Cross, where I may find a train or if they're still not running, I can get a bus in the general direction of home, but apprentice pisshead that I am, I decide to stop in a pub in Soho to drown my sorrows a little. I'm sitting there, probably looking pretty loving sorry for myself, and this guy starts talking to me, asking why I'm looking so down, so I recount my story. Next thing I know, we're round the corner at what at the time I think must have been the Wendy's on Shaftesbury Avenue, now McDonald's (a great loss the day Wendy's quit the UK, by the way), and the guy's bought me a burger and said, you know, if you don't fancy going home to face your parents, you can always crash at mine, and I'm kind of, you know, that might not be such a bad idea, and then...

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING?"

There's been twice in my life that I've heard those words shouted at me from within my own head, drowning out any other thoughts; the only other time, more recently, was the night before I stopped drinking which, in all probability, saved my marriage and a shitload of other problems. I really can't explain where it comes from, but it's a voice you can't help but listen to and act upon. And if the second time I heard it was a turning point in my life, I'm pretty convinced the first time was, too.

Alarm bells stated ringing in my head. What the gently caress was I doing here, with this strange man, who, come to think of it, was making me feel uneasy, though with everything else going through my head, I hadn't really picked up on my intuition. I didn't just need to get home, I needed to get the hell out of here right now.

Well, thank gently caress for Routemaster buses is all I can say. The countless times i'd hopped on and off the platform at the back paid off and - poo poo, it is moving a bit quickly, isn't it - I just managed to get a foot on the boards and a hand round the pole and off down the road I went, my erstwhile benefactor's face blending into the crowd as the bus sped off.

It was a face I remembered, though, and perhaps the glasses had something to do with that. I certainly recognised that face when I saw it on the news a couple of years later, and whenever I hear the name, it sends me cold.

Length? Dennis Nilsen got 25 years, later increased to life. He'll never be paroled.

PS - Just checked his Wikipedia entry for when he was arrested and some of the facts really do make me pause and realise just how lucky I was. The Golden Lion, I'm pretty certain, is the pub. He bought one of his victims a hamburger. Originally, I'm from Scotland, as many of his victims were. Thank gently caress I listened to that inner voice (and apologies for lack of funnies)

The idea that you could get so close to being another statistic on Wikipedia is really unnerving to me.

I was at a bus stop about a year ago and some guy started a conversation with me. He was pretty aggressive in his tone even if he wasn't particularly physically threatening, but it was more what he said that unnerved me. A lot of stuff about how humans are inherently bad and there's no reason fighting it, we're all just violent, selfish beasts and so on. He brought this up specifically because I'd mentioned I volunteer full time for a nonprofit, so y'know, that was kinda unnecessary. Anyway he kept going, deliberately picking apart what I was wearing, the book I was reading and so on; I'm a slim 5'5" woman and was starting to feel pretty vulnerable. It was starting to get dark, my bus was now ten minutes late and I decided to tell him to go gently caress himself and went to a nearby store to call for a ride. I'm 99.9% sure he was just a lonely weirdo with absolutely no social skills who didn't realize how seriously creepy he was coming across, but it still sends shivers down my spine and I started carrying pepper spray after that.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Imagined posted:

Since the hallways leading to her cell were recorded by surveillance cameras, it should be relatively easy to show footage of her walking to her cell.

WShoa, okay holy gently caress. Someone elsewhere found THIS photo, and I'm praying to god it's photoshopped and that THIS is not the real thing, because if so, um----well, see for yourself.

yeaaaahhhh she looks significantly less-alive in that one, Jesus christ

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh come on.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Astrofig posted:

yeaaaahhhh she looks significantly less-alive in that one, Jesus christ

Murder by MsPaint. What a terrible way to go...

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Murder by MsPaint. What a terrible way to go...

I've been accused of doing that a few times, but I got off on a technicality.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Anecdotal story, my friend was walking home from the bar one night (which was about a 2 block walk). When she got to her street corner she noticed some guy was following her and kept trying to get her attention. She picked up the pace and the guy kept following her, until she got to her place and got inside and locked the door. You would think the story would end there but she could hear the guy on the other side of the door saying "come on. Let me in. I'm a nice guy and I just want to talk to you". Apparently he said this a few times while banging on the door. Then she shouted that she was calling the cops (which she did) and the guy high-tailed it from there.

Non-anecdotal story I found this story about the Lyon Sisters on CNN (warning: It's a CNN article). It's kind of crazy has 40 year old cold cases can still be solved (or tried to be solved with the guilty party hopefully going to prison) so long after the crime is committed. There are quite a few hosed up details about the suspect and the case. However the case goes, it is pretty obvious that some bad poo poo must have happened to the girls, and it feels pretty tragic that it took so long for something to come out of it.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Occam's Razor just means that you take the simplest explanation given the facts you have. Did she hang herself like the mortician's report says? Well, if the alternative was that the cops ?killed her? (why) then released a mug shot to make it look like she was still alive then staged a hanging then somehow bribed/coerced/befriended a mortician who looked past the obvious cause of death then I'm going to guess so. That doesn't mean I'm excusing the cops at all for what they did. They clearly crossed a line in the arrest, and possibly in their treatment in the station but thats a far cry from some massive coverup.

The whole thing is hosed up but the only thing that these massive conspiracies and clearly photoshopped photos do is take away legitimacy from the actual issue at hand which is that someone died in police custody, probably due to police negligence. It's like the whole Michael Brown thing where he became a martyr and suddenly you have a bunch of people testifying that he had his hands up and was yelling dont shoot as a murderous cop unloaded an AK into him. Then you get a bunch of unreliable witnesses and the guy walks. Both the FBI and the Texas Rangers are running parallel investigations on this so if there is any wrongdoing I'm confident that it will come to light, unless you believe everyone is corrupt up and down which in that case well we're all hosed anyways.

Also yeah, my friend's dad hung himself on a beam that was shorter than he was, so thats possible, the whole garbage bag strength thing aside.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Stolen from the China.jpg thread, a history of the Milwaukee protocol, the only post-exposure, non-vaccine treatment for rabies, which involves a medically induced coma until your brain stops trying to kill you: http://www.wired.com/2012/07/ff_rabies/

But what makes it unnerving (again) is that it might not work at all, and you're still more or less hosed if you're bit by a rabid animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

ranbo das posted:

Occam's Razor just means that you take the simplest explanation given the facts you have. Did she hang herself like the mortician's report says? Well, if the alternative was that the cops ?killed her? (why) then released a mug shot to make it look like she was still alive then staged a hanging then somehow bribed/coerced/befriended a mortician who looked past the obvious cause of death then I'm going to guess so. That doesn't mean I'm excusing the cops at all for what they did. They clearly crossed a line in the arrest, and possibly in their treatment in the station but thats a far cry from some massive coverup.

The whole thing is hosed up but the only thing that these massive conspiracies and clearly photoshopped photos do is take away legitimacy from the actual issue at hand which is that someone died in police custody, probably due to police negligence. It's like the whole Michael Brown thing where he became a martyr and suddenly you have a bunch of people testifying that he had his hands up and was yelling dont shoot as a murderous cop unloaded an AK into him. Then you get a bunch of unreliable witnesses and the guy walks. Both the FBI and the Texas Rangers are running parallel investigations on this so if there is any wrongdoing I'm confident that it will come to light, unless you believe everyone is corrupt up and down which in that case well we're all hosed anyways.

Also yeah, my friend's dad hung himself on a beam that was shorter than he was, so thats possible, the whole garbage bag strength thing aside.

Why is information changing in the data entry process? Why is there a garbage can in the cell? Why is the mugshot against a different background? I’m not saying armchair detectives are going to solve anything, but we have more information available than just a body with a makeshift noose.

Not that I’m saying you’re necessarily wrong, it’s just less scary if the solution is ’Don’t piss those guys off’ instead of ’The hiring process to attain these levels of authority is severely lacking and they screw up at their work as often as you do at your own.’