Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

icantfindaname posted:

unfortunately i'm starting to think nobody will ever make a video game not in that style that costs less than $100 million to make ever again

Witcher 3 cost like ~35million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Like the wonderswan has two d-pads on the left side of the system so that you can play vertical games, it's weird looking as heck

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Quest For Glory II posted:

Like the wonderswan has two d-pads on the left side of the system so that you can play vertical games, it's weird looking as heck

Sadly the FF 1 and 2 remakes are all based on the Wonderswan version

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

Witcher 3 cost like ~35million.

yeah but they're a polish company still partly in a production mode focused on the eastern euro market. the main US/EU game market can't seem to make anything between billion dollar cinematic thing or kickstarted indie game anymore and i don't see that changing anytime soon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

yeah but they're a polish company still partly in a production mode focused on the eastern euro market. the main US/EU game market can't seem to make anything between billion dollar cinematic thing or kickstarted indie game anymore and i don't see that changing anytime soon

Like 75% of those figures that get out are marketing costs, it doesn't cost hundreds of millions of dollars to make cinematic cutscenes, it costs that much to make sure it shows up on busses in every major metro area.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
If Nathan Drake is not on a subway cup, how can we understand the character?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Is there a SGDQ thread yet

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

icantfindaname posted:

I could comb through my Steam games list to find a whole bunch of examples on how you are being hyperbolic and are wrong, but I have a stomach ache this afternoon so instead I'll encourage you to look through your own games list because like one glance at games made in the last 3 or 4 years will tell you you're being hyperbolic and are wrong

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Lurdiak posted:

If you can get a game boy advance player for your gamecube I recommend it. Hell yeah for playing game boy, game boy advance and game boy color games on your TV with no emulation issues. Hell yeah for those like 8 GBA games that had specific functions for the game boy advance player like using the rumble in the controller to let you find secrets.

Players are everywhere, but the god drat discs are so expensive

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

TheScott2K posted:

Players are everywhere, but the god drat discs are so expensive

When Gamestop was liquidating their Gamecube poo poo the discs were going for like 4 dollars. Tons remained unbought so they were probably destroyed.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
http://store.steampowered.com/app/383750/

Sooo uhhh, blacksploitation lovely platformer developed by a bunch of white dudes. Released in 2015.
And not a single review mentions how its whole aesthetic is deplorable and awful. Just that the platforming is bad.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Nasgate posted:

Sooo uhhh, blacksploitation lovely platformer developed by a bunch of white dudes. Released in 2015.
And not a single review mentions how its whole aesthetic is deplorable and awful. Just that the platforming is bad.

Go buy it and review it then.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Welp, got to teddie, and yup, still amazing. wtf is this video games dungeon

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Nasgate posted:

So you're disappointed that Polygon hasn't done a review for it yet?

If you wanna talk about some loving misappropriation, whats with Kevin James and Adam Sandler putting on nerdface and ruining our culture? It's getting harder and harder to be a gamer these days.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nasgate posted:

I think the platforming sucking matters more than a blaxploitation aesthetic that is clearly meant to be ridiculous and, well, blaxploitation-y.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the short version is that no one gives a poo poo about the game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nasgate posted:

Not for nothing, cause I haven't played the game or anything, but how do you know they're white dudes

I mean sometimes its obvious just by how its designed and written but

Manslaughter posted:

Is there a SGDQ thread yet
Shovel Knight shovelless run hype

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

The Colonel posted:

I think the platforming sucking matters more than a blaxploitation aesthetic that is clearly meant to be ridiculous and, well, blaxploitation-y.

uhhh

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
well yes that minstrel may have been in blackface, but whats really important is that he was slightly sharp

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Blartsploitation

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nasgate posted:

:yikes:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If you think a game is morally/ethically bad and it's already some unknown indie then your best course of action to just not talk about it. I mean it's already some obscure title nobody gives a poo poo about. Making noise and yelling "LOOK HOW BAD THIS IS" can only give it more exposure, especially if it gets picked up by the 10,000 strong "ironic reviews" brigade.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I just think the blaxploitation in that game is in that area where it's so intentionally ridiculous and bad that I wouldn't really expect anybody to take it seriously. What matters more in this case is that the game isn't notable for anything besides it and is clearly banking on it as a result, so it's not worth giving a drat about.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

The Colonel posted:

I just think the blaxploitation in that game is in that area where it's so ridiculous and bad that I wouldn't really expect anybody to take it seriously. What matters more in this case is that the game isn't notable for anything besides it and is clearly banking on it as a result, so it's not worth giving a drat about.

to keep with the analogy someone using a sharpie to do blackface would also be ridiculous and bad, but it would also still be blackface.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

Not for nothing, cause I haven't played the game or anything, but how do you know they're white dudes

I mean sometimes its obvious just by how its designed and written but

Shovel Knight shovelless run hype

Looked up the dev team out of horrified curiosity.

Also for once I agree with a stux post.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Do Spaniards even count as "white dudes"

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

If you think a game is morally/ethically bad and it's already some unknown indie then your best course of action to just not talk about it. I mean it's already some obscure title nobody gives a poo poo about. Making noise and yelling "LOOK HOW BAD THIS IS" can only give it more exposure, especially if it gets picked up by the 10,000 strong "ironic reviews" brigade.

"Instead of pointing out something terrible so that maybe our community stops accepting that it's ok. Just let it go."

:wtc:

It got released onto the Wii, a console known for family and kids games.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Stux posted:

to keep with the analogy someone using a sharpie to do blackface would also be ridiculous and bad, but it would also still be blackface.

don't stop the metaphor there! so if someone does blackface w/ a sharpie, which is worse: their racism or their stupidity?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Broseph Brostar posted:

what.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

itt ninteenth-century racial theorizing

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

StashAugustine posted:

itt ninteenth-century racial theorizing

What about those scots and that whole Briton war eh?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Nobody cares if a homeless man draws himself blackface with a permenant marker

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Broseph Brostar posted:

Nobody cares if a homeless man draws himself blackface with a permenant marker

that's bc the homeless are invisible, though. nobody cares if a homeless man gives half the change he bums to the ACLU either

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I thought the world had decided a very long time ago that blacksploitation was good and enjoyable even despite its namesake, but then again most of my exposure to the genre comes from people making parody out of it so

Needless to say, the indie game is still probably bad regardless

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Black people trigger me.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Broseph Brostar posted:

New thread title

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

That reminds me of 19th century Americans claiming that Catholic Irish are subhuman but Protestant Irish are white and therefore okay.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I don't get what's so bad about that game

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I always read blacksploitation as blacksopolitan only to find out that there is a cosmopolitan called the blacksopolitan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CJacobs posted:

I thought the world had decided a very long time ago that blacksploitation was good and enjoyable even despite its namesake, but then again most of my exposure to the genre comes from people making parody out of it so

Ironic racism is not very much better than regular racism. And the only blacksploitation parodies that aren't poo poo are made by people who are actually black.

• Locked thread