Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

The Lord Bude posted:

Well Windows updates will download and install automatically, with no way of turning them off if you have the home edition. I just hope they still keep the concept of optional updates as a seperate category, and keep graphics drivers in the optional section.

optional updates are the principal reasons botnets and friends rule

user are generally stupid, and usually those that think they know more are even more dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Titan X to ... ???
Nah, this is a different build. I'm temporarily living across the country and after all the trouble I had with the Titan X build I really didn't want to try and ship it. What I did do is bring a bunch of old parts lying around and bought a G3258 to throw it all into a Frankenputer. It's graphics card was a 660ti that was on the fritz, so I found a Sapphire 280X Toxic on ebay for $180 to replace it.

Performs nicely but holy crap, I'm running d3Overrider and Rivatuner get it properly capped at 60fps with triple buffering. Every AMD program looks ancient as all hell, and there's web ads in the control center, and I can't manage to get FUEL to run with Vsync on. All solvable or not a huge deal, but it's a shock going to this from Nvidia. Feels like I'm in 2008 again.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 23, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Malcolm XML posted:

They could make just the drivers optional updates, you know.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

They could make just the drivers optional updates, you know.

Video drivers are massive lumps of code that run completely un-sandboxed. There haven't been many reports of video drivers being used as an attack vector but the potential is there.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

SwissCM posted:

Video drivers are massive lumps of code that run completely un-sandboxed. There haven't been many reports of video drivers being used as an attack vector but the potential is there.

So are all drivers (at least on Windows). Rip general purpose computing I guess.

Or wait just have a driver blacklist in case poo poo.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

So are all drivers (at least on Windows). Rip general purpose computing I guess.

The difference is the integration of OpenGL/D3D into web browsers and the myriad of security problems that opens up.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Newbie question, sorry.

I'm trying to buy a GTX 960 but the variety of models is overwhelming. Even from one manufacturer, Gigabyte, there's 11 different versions...

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/list.aspx?s=43&p=52,53@53@53,54&v=1,8@1@2,270#1

I can see the difference in number of fans, but beyond that I'm lost. Sites like NCIX have cards that look identical but vary wildly in price.
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Hatter106 posted:

Newbie question, sorry.

I'm trying to buy a GTX 960 but the variety of models is overwhelming. Even from one manufacturer, Gigabyte, there's 11 different versions...

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/list.aspx?s=43&p=52,53@53@53,54&v=1,8@1@2,270#1

I can see the difference in number of fans, but beyond that I'm lost. Sites like NCIX have cards that look identical but vary wildly in price.
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Buy an EVGA if service is most important, buy an MSI Twin frozr otherwise.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Is the Gigabyte 980 ti still considered a good buy?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Don Lapre posted:

Buy an EVGA if service is most important, buy an MSI Twin frozr otherwise.

This. But the R9 280X is a faster card for the money so get that instead.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

This. But the R9 280X is a faster card for the money so get that instead.

Counterpoint, 960s get MGSV now, one of the few games I'd be willing to pay money for. Metal Gear Online is sure to be hilarious this time around.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Yeah the 960 is (finally!!) worth it if you count MGS5 as a $40 purchase at minimum. If you're not interested at all though, the 280x is what you want.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Cheap Shot posted:

Is the Gigabyte 980 ti still considered a good buy?

The 980ti is still considered a good buy overall if thats the performance youre looking for. If you mean the brand itself, sure its fine and well reviewed but its likely the MSI version runs quieter although I havent actually seen that review yet. The real difference in 980tis is reference cooler or not

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Or someone could buy my used 7950 for cheap which is almost as good as a 280X. :shobon:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Malcolm XML posted:

user are generally stupid, and usually those that think they know more are even more dumb

I actually agree with you completely, I just think that non security/urgent bug fix stuff (of the sort that currently gets filed in optional updates rather than important updates) and drivers for hardware should be in a separate category that doesn't install automatically.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Drivers can run user mode on windows since vista.
Also windows 10 pro will be a thing. You can block updates it just costs $80 extra (if you don't already run pro).

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Wrong thread

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ordered a 980 ti g1 today, so excited to finally get 60fps at 2560x1600
the 970 was a great improvement from my last card, but really wasnt cutting it at my resolution

I was on the fence whether I "needed" an upgrade, but the MGS5 deal sealed it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

NihilismNow posted:

Drivers can run user mode on windows since vista.
Also windows 10 pro will be a thing. You can block updates it just costs $80 extra (if you don't already run pro).

I bought pro so that I could have windows Media Center again; because literally nobody else on the face of the earth has managed to create a program for recording and watching live TV that's worth a drat and I gave up getting anything else to just work properly. I'm pretty bitter that I'm going to lose it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

NihilismNow posted:

Windows 10 Pro already is a thing, and I tried that, and it doesn't work.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Windows 10 Pro already is a thing, and I tried that, and it doesn't work.
Display Driver Uninstaller can block GPU driver updates I think, no idea how/if it works since I'm still on 7.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

The Lord Bude posted:

I bought pro so that I could have windows Media Center again; because literally nobody else on the face of the earth has managed to create a program for recording and watching live TV that's worth a drat and I gave up getting anything else to just work properly. I'm pretty bitter that I'm going to lose it.

If you have win 7 pro it converts to win 10 pro.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

veedubfreak posted:

Media Center is discontinued in Windows 10 (Pro)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Only Windows 10 Enterprise can opt-out of updates.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

I was talking about losing Media Center, since it's been discontinued in windows 10

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Ah, I thought pro had it. Mah bad.

I fully intend to buy a new hard drive to install 10 on in the event that it sucks rear end so I can quickly go back to 8.1.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's a good price to sell my used 970 strix? I bought it on Jan 27th and the warranty is active and transferable. I still have the original box and all documentation.

When I look up prices for completed listing on ebay I see lots of new ones being bought at 399 for some reason. There are some used ending around 300 and a few more below 300. All the ones below 300 were ended early by the seller and relisted. Just suspicious stuff that you see when a seller is shill bidding but actually ends up winning their own listing.

Ill probably try craiglist first for quick cash, but then SA-mart and maybe ebay if no bites.
Im thinking $275 for cl since I wont have to ship.
$290 shipped for other marketplaces?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 24, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I tried to move mine for 270 and didn't get much interest (Chicago), but it really comes down to luck on CL.

Speaking of which, I should probably check if it's still active...

EDIT: vvvv MSi 970 Gaming 4G, the Twin Frozr one.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 24, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

well that model is suitably colorful and looks expensive so I wonder why it didnt sell. Im selling in los angeles, so I hope it may do better. "runs LoL with maxed settings" should be sufficient to sell it :D

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 24, 2015

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Mazz posted:

EDIT: vvvv MSi 970 Gaming 4G, the Twin Frozr one.

I just got this card a few weeks ago, so amazing.

Upgraded from a 560ti 448 SLI setup, and this one is not only way faster and feature-rich with 4x the VRAM, it's also dead silent.

Got it to 1500 core with a minor (+25) voltage bump. Holy smokes.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Fauxtool posted:

what's a good price to sell my used 970 strix? I bought it on Jan 27th and the warranty is active and transferable. I still have the original box and all documentation.

When I look up prices for completed listing on ebay I see lots of new ones being bought at 399 for some reason. There are some used ending around 300 and a few more below 300. All the ones below 300 were ended early by the seller and relisted. Just suspicious stuff that you see when a seller is shill bidding but actually ends up winning their own listing.

Ill probably try craiglist first for quick cash, but then SA-mart and maybe ebay if no bites.
Im thinking $275 for cl since I wont have to ship.
$290 shipped for other marketplaces?

I'm thinking somewhere in the $240-$270 range, that is 20%-30% off retail which seems fair for a used card.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

thetechnoloser posted:

I just got this card a few weeks ago, so amazing.

Upgraded from a 560ti 448 SLI setup, and this one is not only way faster and feature-rich with 4x the VRAM, it's also dead silent.

Got it to 1500 core with a minor (+25) voltage bump. Holy smokes.

It's fantastic, I'm just an idiot and been modding Skyrim recently so I hit the VRAM limit pretty hard. In the end I'll prob just keep it since it runs great and I'll get tired of Skyrim soon enough.

Absolutely getting the MSi 980ti if I do make the leap though. Wish they had step-up, would've already pulled the trigger even with a 980 middle man.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm thinking somewhere in the $240-$270 range, that is 20%-30% off retail which seems fair for a used card.

I think the offer I got for mine was 240ish and it seemed low since I paid about 330 in Feb, I'll have to repost and check again as that MSG pack makes the 980ti come down enough to feel okay with it all.

I know I should probably just wait for Pascal but where's the fun in that.

EDIT: after checking, is MSI even in on the MSG package? If not, then that saves me some effort.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 24, 2015

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

A buddy of mine bought one off reddit for $270 shipped the other day. ASUS absolutely refuses to provide warranty unless you have a proof of purchase, so the redditor sent him the invoice too. Much to my friend's dismay, he discovered that the guy bought it off newegg for only $275.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

lDDQD posted:

A buddy of mine bought one off reddit for $270 shipped the other day. ASUS absolutely refuses to provide warranty unless you have a proof of purchase, so the redditor sent him the invoice too. Much to my friend's dismay, he discovered that the guy bought it off newegg for only $275.

While annoying, even if I bought one for $100 somehow I'm not going to sell it for $75

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

lDDQD posted:

That means the guy bought an open-box 970. It begs the question of why he's trying to off-load it.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Sweet, Newegg just emailed me an invoice for a free copy of MGS5. If anyone else was an edge case like me, try chat support, they'll probably help you.

e: N/m

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 24, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LiquidRain posted:

Only Windows 10 Enterprise can opt-out of updates.

Not entirely correct. Pro and Education versions can also delay non-critical updates by using "Current Branch for Business" mode. Critical updates still come in automatically as usual but feature updates and non-critical patches will be delayed by around four months and can be further deferred for another eight months before losing support. Basically businesses get a year after an update is released to come up with a solution to any misbehavior in their apps that an update may have uncovered.

The Enterprise-exclusive "Long Term Servicing Branch" gets no feature updates ever (instead they'll be releasing intermittent "snapshot" releases that can be optionally upgraded to if you want a feature update) and allows indefinite deferment of security patches.

Basically anyone not on Home edition can take the smart "sit back and watch for a bit" approach with feature updates to weed out the occasional one that actually breaks something, but your average Joe or small company where the "IT Guy" is the one who could program the clock on the microwave can't stupidly sit around ignoring updates forever while their machines get botted until someone stumbles on Cryptolocker and they finally get someone who knows what they're doing to look at it.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight
I have a new MSI 970 100ME on the way to replace my old MSI 760 TF.

How beneficial would it be to leave the 760 in my rig as a Physx card? From what I've read it can help in Physx heavy games. Power isn't a concern, am running an EVGA G2 750 Supernova PSU.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

How many watts are required for a single 980ti?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Aragosta posted:

I have a new MSI 970 100ME on the way to replace my old MSI 760 TF.

How beneficial would it be to leave the 760 in my rig as a Physx card? From what I've read it can help in Physx heavy games. Power isn't a concern, am running an EVGA G2 750 Supernova PSU.

Not much at all.

And the price of the cards I ordered went down 10 each, gogo 20$ gift card from Amazon.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 24, 2015