Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Lord Lilf posted:

Well she's not my gf but there is mutual interest but I think I'm gonna tell her that maybe we shouldn't pursue this any further.

Hmmmm, looks like Hot Dog Day #91 gave you advice and you took it. I'm pretty sure that means he's your lawyer, now. You have created joinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Oh cool. I've always wanted to be your lawyer. My first act as your lawyer is to regretfully inform you that I must end my representation of you immediately. To my knowledge there are no pending deadlines in your case. I am waiving any outstanding earned fees and your retainer balance is $0.00. I encourage you to contact another attorney immediately.

I however refuse to return your client file.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lord Lilf posted:

Well she's not my gf but there is mutual interest but I think I'm gonna tell her that maybe we shouldn't pursue this any further.

Eh, at least see if she actually does cut the guy off.

Also, student loans are discharged on death.

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Eh, at least see if she actually does cut the guy off.

Also, student loans are discharged on death.

Turns out she got a restraining order against him so game on I guess?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Don't take relationship advice from an internet stranger who knows next to nothing about whatever situation you're in.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

the littlest prince posted:

Don't take relationship advice from an internet stranger who knows next to nothing about whatever situation you're in.

Agreed. Do, however, take legal and/or medical advice.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

the littlest prince posted:

She willingly brought him to a place where a man sucker punched him with the knowledge that he had done so in the past to at least one other person. From those facts alone, I can foresee the entire future of his life. We learned that in law school.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

LAW 101: Sucker Punching the Future

Learn how to combine the cold hand of the law with the cold fist of some girl's uncle and the mysterious whims of time-yet-unknown.

Class materials: Ice pack, Tarot deck

For a more advanced course see LAW 201: Legislation Across Dimensional Borders

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I think OP should take boxing lessons, and kick that guy's rear end.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

She willingly brought him to a place where a man sucker punched him with the knowledge that he had done so in the past to at least one other person. From those facts alone, I can foresee the entire future of his life. We learned that in law school.

Sucker punch my friend once, shame on you...

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Lord Lilf posted:

Turns out she got a restraining order against him so game on I guess?

Sure, why not. Please keep posting about it.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I think OP should take boxing lessons, and kick that guy's rear end.

No, just a little sucker punching practice. Studying martial arts in order to pummel a drunk is kinda pathetic. Besides, OP might hurt his new GF when she inevitably attacks him.

Self defense would be smarter. The first principal of self defense being avoidance of situations calling for the other principals of self defense. But that contradicts the "game on" plan. No self defense classes for OP.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
So if the uncle is judgement proof, could he have a case against the (ex) girlfriend for negligently exposing him to a serial violent offender? If he's going to break up with her anyway he has nothing to lose, and may as well try to get something out of the situation.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Austen Tassletine posted:

So if the uncle is judgement proof, could he have a case against the (ex) girlfriend for negligently exposing him to a serial violent offender? If he's going to break up with her anyway he has nothing to lose, and may as well try to get something out of the situation.

No.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

And even if he did, if the uncle is judgment proof and she's having friends hang out with her uncle, she's probably judgment proof as well.

(Also probably 16.)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I read a nuisance case today in which a condo owner sued for a constructive easement against his neighbor's condo in order to abate the nuisance-y noise.

The moral of the story is you always have a case, you just need a lawyer crazy enough to try it.

Epilogue: that suit resulted in sanctions, attorney's fees, and a countersuit for slander of title.

Second moral is to be willing to get laughed out of court.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I for real know of a District Court case filed over a facebook post.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

blarzgh posted:

Bojanglesworth posted:

back with more stupid questions for you smart folk!

I have been divorced just over two years now and am in the process of moving in with my girlfriend. My ex wife is of course pissed off about that and says, "My son will not be living there. See you in court!"

Is this something I even remotely have to worry about, or is she just talking mindless ex wife bullshit?

extra info: In Virginia. Son is five years old. Girlfriend also has a young son and is not a felon or anything that would make her look bad.

I had a friend whose ex filed a motion to modify custody because he posted their child's picture on his facebook.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

blarzgh posted:

There ws a guy who got a big settlement against his former employer, and then lost it because his kid posted about it on Facebook, violating the nondisclosure clause of the settlement.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

sullat posted:

There ws a guy who got a big settlement against his former employer, and then lost it because his kid posted about it on Facebook, violating the nondisclosure clause of the settlement.

Sue the kid? :ohdear:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

sullat posted:

Thats not true.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

euphronius posted:

Thats not true.

You sure?
http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/02/us/facebook-post-costs-father/
I know, technically it was the father telling the daughter about the settlement that violated the confidentiality, not the following Facebook post since the daughter wasn't a party to the agreement.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ulmont posted:

You sure?
http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/02/us/facebook-post-costs-father/
I know, technically it was the father telling the daughter about the settlement that violated the confidentiality, not the following Facebook post since the daughter wasn't a party to the agreement.

wow lol

every confidentiality clause u reviewed had a family exception.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

euphronius posted:

wow lol

every confidentiality clause u reviewed had a family exception.

Actual opinion is here:
http://www.3dca.flcourts.org/opinions/3d13-1952.rh.pdf

...but yeah, I would have expected some sort of family exception. Of course, in exchange for the family exception I would have expected that the daughter's post be attributed to the father, so he was hosed either way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ulmont posted:

Actual opinion is here:
http://www.3dca.flcourts.org/opinions/3d13-1952.rh.pdf

...but yeah, I would have expected some sort of family exception. Of course, in exchange for the family exception I would have expected that the daughter's post be attributed to the father, so he was hosed either way.

Snay hosed up . He should have lied and presented the story that his wife told the daughter.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Like I was not prepared for someone to be that loving stupid so my point is still correct.

Did you guys notice the lawyers still got paid. gently caress yeah.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
wanna read that settlement agreement

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

euphronius posted:

Like I was not prepared for someone to be that loving stupid so my point is still correct.

Did you guys notice the lawyers still got paid. gently caress yeah.

Justice served then.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
No no. Defendant posted on Facebook, "In my opinion, Plaintiff shouldn't be on the board of our HOA or whatever." And Plaintiff sued for defamation.

For real.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Need a lawyer for a Thing. Filled out state bar referral form + threw e-mails at the top few google results for "lawyer (area of issue) (city)". Is there any more useful searching to be done or do I just hope somebody gets back to me on a Friday?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Javid posted:

Need a lawyer for a Thing. Filled out state bar referral form + threw e-mails at the top few google results for "lawyer (area of issue) (city)". Is there any more useful searching to be done or do I just hope somebody gets back to me on a Friday?

Define "thing"
Some things you can hire basically anyone, others you need a good lawyer.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Traffic.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I wouldn't email people, I would call them, especially if you are working on any sort of deadline.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
is there a lawyer that can deal with traffic for me? northern virginia sucks.

Stabby_McBitchslap
Apr 7, 2008
So lets say I'm hypothetically getting sued for about $2000 of credit card debt. Would it even be worth hiring a lawyer seeing as how it's a small amount and I'm going to lose the case regardless? Is there any realistic chance that having an attorney will save me any money, or would it just add to the bills that I apparently can't pay?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well you can't hire an attorney without paying them so it appears to be moot.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

euphronius posted:

Well you can't hire an attorney without paying them so it appears to be moot.

Do they take credit cards?

Stabby_McBitchslap
Apr 7, 2008
It's cool, I can pay them in goats and/or cats.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You should probably head over to the debt collection thread, but if that debt is actually yours and its the creditor suing you (ie, the card company and not the 8th person to buy that debt) I can't imagine a lawyer is actually going to save you any money overall.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

fordan posted:

Do they take credit cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Stabby_McBitchslap posted:

So lets say I'm hypothetically getting sued for about $2000 of credit card debt. Would it even be worth hiring a lawyer seeing as how it's a small amount and I'm going to lose the case regardless? Is there any realistic chance that having an attorney will save me any money, or would it just add to the bills that I apparently can't pay?

You might stick your head in the Ask me about dealing with/suing/being sued by debt collectors! thread.

Stabby_McBitchslap posted:

It's cool, I can pay them in goats and/or cats.

Sorry, I hold the goat to cash concession in this thread.