Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

A very good point, Groda.

And yeah, I really want a HOTAS. When I've used joysticks, gamepads or m+kb I've always been annoyed at the lack of solid throttle control. And if I'm buying a HOTAS I'm gonna have to put some money into it too, anything else would feel wrong. 500 bucks (which is the Norwegian price of a Warthog + a set of Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals) is a lot of money, but if I would get the x52 Pro, I'd still want pedals instead of twist-rudder, and then we're already in "A Lot of Money"-territory (which is a poor metric for a good budget, but anyway).

I guess the questions boils down to going all in or outright skipping the table. I've survived with a keyboard, a good mouse and an xbox pad, and that's what I'll keep doing if I don't get a HOTAS. But I do genuinely believe that I'll get a lot of joy out of a Warthog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

If you can swing it, get the Warthog. If you enjoy flying and get a cheaper HOTAS, you will begin lusting for the Warthog sooner or later.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Faffel posted:

If you can swing it, get the Warthog. If you enjoy flying and get a cheaper HOTAS, you will begin lusting for the Warthog sooner or later.

This is true.

I have a perfectly serviceable x52. I don't lust after a warthog though. When I upgrade, I'm going with the CH stick/throttle/pedals. I expect my wife will be filing for divorce the same day.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Haallllll effeeeeeecccttttttt seeeeennnnsoooorrrrrsssss

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I don't sim every day. Sometimes my sim gear will sit a month without me touching it. Despite this, I don't regret getting a Warthog for a second. Hell, if you love prop planes like I do, you may even want to go for a CH Pro Quadrant to finish off the mix.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Alright you ruddy scamps, you've convinced me. I think this is going to be very fun.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
Warning, tacpack is now available for P3d (academic only, since professional would step on professional+'s toes).

Absolutely no fun to be had shooting at each other, ever.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just something I spotted over the weekend, but Mad Catz could be in the poo poo if they don't shift Rock Band 4 controllers.

"Preorders for the game began in mid-June (not in time, Mad Catz said, to help it avoid the credit agreement problem). The game and a new guitar will retail for $129.99; the game and a full band kit (guitar, drums and microphone) is $249.99."
http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/4/8894107/mad-catz-tells-investors-it-needs-rock-band-4-to-be-a-hit

What retards would buy a controller at....oh.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Hav posted:

"Preorders for the game began in mid-June (not in time, Mad Catz said, to help it avoid the credit agreement problem). The game and a new guitar will retail for $129.99; the game and a full band kit (guitar, drums and microphone) is $249.99."
http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/4/8894107/mad-catz-tells-investors-it-needs-rock-band-4-to-be-a-hit

When I see this all I'm actually seeing is required hardware for a future Macross 7 sim.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

My life is now complete. Does anyone have a nice and practical Warthog setup for FSX?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Do you have FSUIPC? Did you also buy the CH Quadrant? If so I have a great setup. I can p much fly a VOR approach and fly down the localizer in twin without reaching for my mouse or keyboard.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 7, 2015

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Didn't go for the Quad this time, Warthog seemed like a good start, but I can probably get a hold of FSUIPC. To be honest, it's been so long since I've played pure sims that I really just need a refresher in the most important things to have on the HOTAS.

Also, my trusted store won't have the rudders in stock until next month, so that sucks, but not enough to detract from the wonderful experience.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The current weekly Humble Bundle has Take on Helicopters for $1 if you're into that.
https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

The current weekly Humble Bundle has Take on Helicopters for $1 if you're into that.
https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

in regards to this bundle also having arma 2.. it has a lovely flight model but it's still fun to tool around in present day and slightly older helicopters that aren't in Arma 3's future war setting

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

ethanol posted:

in regards to this bundle also having arma 2.. it has a lovely flight model but it's still fun to tool around in present day and slightly older helicopters that aren't in Arma 3's future war setting

Everything from Arma 2 is available in Arma 3 in some form or another.

Hovermoose
Jul 27, 2010

Anyone wanting to try an interesting approach should give ETNC, Tromsų Aiport, a try. The northern approach to runway 19 goes above quite of lot of mountainous terrain and that coupled with the rather unique location of the airport itself it makes for a fun flight.

Also, for a nine year old game it sure can look nice with a few tweaks in place:

e:

Groda posted:

Any recommendations (FSX or X-Plane) for a Cessna 182S model? I'll be flying one this fall, and I don't want to waste any time in the actual aircraft.

It's a bit pricey, but the A2A Skylane is more or less the gold standard for that plane.

Hovermoose fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 13, 2015

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Any recommendations (FSX or X-Plane) for a Cessna 182S model? I'll be flying one this fall, and I don't want to waste any time in the actual aircraft.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Groda posted:

A2A 182, no contest, I don't know if it's an 'S' or not, but noone else's 'S' is going to be as close to an 'S' as A2A's is, even if it's not

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah, so if I wanted to get my pilot's license with the absolute bare minimum flight hours, which sim would I be looking at for this? I presume I'd also be looking at some sort of Cesna 170 or 180. I figure the sim + pay plane is probably still less than one hour of real flight time, and if I already had 200 sim hours in a Cesna flying around the Texas area + vatsim, that should reduce my real world rental and instruction hours to possibly the real world minimum. Right? Like, at least skip a whole bunch of hours familiarizing myself with where the instruments are, how each button does what in the glass cockpit, etc, at least.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Hadlock posted:

Yeah, so if I wanted to get my pilot's license with the absolute bare minimum flight hours, which sim would I be looking at for this? I presume I'd also be looking at some sort of Cesna 170 or 180. I figure the sim + pay plane is probably still less than one hour of real flight time, and if I already had 200 sim hours in a Cesna flying around the Texas area + vatsim, that should reduce my real world rental and instruction hours to possibly the real world minimum. Right? Like, at least skip a whole bunch of hours familiarizing myself with where the instruments are, how each button does what in the glass cockpit, etc, at least.

Yes, you can accelerate your private pilot license a huge amount with sim experience. Especially IFR stuff, but to a lesser extent VFR stuff too. Most people with a lot of sim experience are able to get their license in the legal minimum amount of hours.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Something I would recommend, especially if you're in the first 10-20 hours of your PPL when everything is new and unfamiliar, is to make sure that your syllabus or instructor(s) always outline exactly what your next lesson will cover. Do your lesson, go home, replay it on the sim, write down any questions that occur, then look at what you're up for next lesson and run through that in advance. I used to go as far as closing my eyes, pretending I was in the cockpit, physically going through the motions (as sim cockpits, even good ones, will often have tiny discrepancies compared to the real thing).

One big thing to be aware of, though, is that sims can lure you into the habit of constantly staring at your gauges, and that's going to drive your instructor nuts while you're learning under VFR rules. I know an instructor who gets so many students who started from video games that he eventually made a bunch of rubber cutouts and covered most of the gauges on the student's side for the first few lessons, only uncovering stuff when needed, because people kept gluing their eyes to the dashboard and neglecting their situational awareness.

Unrelated, but what sim/airframe would you guys recommend if I wanted a really technical stick and rudder challenge? I was thinking of DCS's P51, just because the damned thing is basically purpose-built to murder you.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Omi no Kami posted:

Unrelated, but what sim/airframe would you guys recommend if I wanted a really technical stick and rudder challenge? I was thinking of DCS's P51, just because the damned thing is basically purpose-built to murder you.
Rise of Flight and anything with a rotary engine?
Have they got that Fokker E.IV yet, which had a rotary strapped onto another rotary?

three03
Mar 8, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I got my license back in 2005 at around 43 hours (40 was the minimum). Solo at around 11 hours. I would say I had a good 10 years of Flight Simulator (going back to version 3) under my belt when I started training. The familiarity with aircraft systems helped quite a bit. Knowing locations and use of each gauge, general GA traffic pattern procedures, knowing about how pitch and thrust interact during approach, even basic radio communications (Thanks FS2000!).

Like Omi said, playing didn't really prepare me for VFR, but your first few flights you want to look around at all the cool stuff anyway. The feedback you get from holding the controls took some getting used to (instructor constantly told me to stop trying to choke out the yoke), but it is easier to learn those things when you don't have to figure out what the altimeter does and why it's important. :)

Remember with any passengers to calculate weight and balance. My only close call was in a 172 with two larger passengers in the rear that got within a few knots of an approach stall. My exact quote was, "That's not right." and then full power. A no flap approach later, and asking them to lean forward and all was well.

Good luck on your license!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Don't buy DCS P51. The free game comes with the unarmed version that is otherwise all modeled. There is no reason to get the paid version if you are interested in just flying. I have 40+ hours in the free one.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the best sim for educational use these days? P3D? X-Plane?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Is anybody still doing newbie nights? Thanks to a sudden abundance of free time I've decided to invest some of that in learning more about flying "properly" and in a way that ensures less fun for myself. I want to jump into vatsim once I know a bit more about what I'm doing.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009

Omi no Kami posted:

Like Vahakyla said, DCS World comes with a free TF-51, which is exactly the same as the P-51 but without the weapons. If you enjoy that and you're looking for an even more challenging aircraft, try the DCS Bf.109K.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Omi no Kami posted:

Where does this reputation come from? In pretty much all the sims I've played it in, the P-51 has been one of the easier planes to handle from a flying standpoint as long as you know about prop torque etc on take off. I don't really remember reading anything that made it more challenging to fly than other contemporaries.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Omi no Kami posted:

I know an instructor who gets so many students who started from video games that he eventually made a bunch of rubber cutouts and covered most of the gauges on the student's side for the first few lessons, only uncovering stuff when needed, because people kept gluing their eyes to the dashboard and neglecting their situational awareness.

Sectional charts, when unfolded, do an excellent job of obscuring the entirety of the panel, and forcing you to actually fly the airplane.

:v:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Shanakin posted:

Where does this reputation come from? In pretty much all the sims I've played it in, the P-51 has been one of the easier planes to handle from a flying standpoint as long as you know about prop torque etc on take off. I don't really remember reading anything that made it more challenging to fly than other contemporaries.

USA planes in general are always very friendly to take off, fly and land though I think actually starting up the 109 and 190 may be easier to learn.

Omi no Kami posted:

If we're talking actual flying and not startup procedures of virtual cockpit button pushing, I would recommend flying a 109 for raw stick and rudder practice in DCS. It has a perfect balance between maneuverability and stability that you can play with, push over the line and recover from. The jet equivalent to this would be the Su-27 which is incredibly fun.

But really the best way to fly is against other people actively trying to put their guns on you which is practically nonexistent in DCS most of the time. For this, I recommend Rise of Flight or even IL:2 BoS if you want to really feel your plane flying and cut through stalls/slips with other planes nearby to give you a better reference of exactly what lines you're drawing and their true limits.

Rise of Flight loving rules because biplanes seem incredibly sketchy at first when learning to take off and land, then once you get a feel for it they seem rather easy... but once you actually find yourself in a dogfight against experienced players you will see just how loving crazy these things are at maneuvering and it becomes almost entirely about how you fly instead of what weapons you have mounted or arguably even who has the advantage in the beginning of an engagement.

Battle of Stalingrad is expensive but imo is the best game for pure dogfighting with an excellent flight model. It's made by the same people that did Rise of Flight and uses the same engine so I would really recommend trying that first because a lot of people were unhappy with the new Il-2 pricing and I'm not sure but RoF has a selection of free planes worth checking out.

If you don't care about the flight model as much but want to practice most of the same concepts and maneuvers in a game less prone to stalls then War Thunder is the way to go. It has the absolute highest level of player activity across any flight sim despite being a bit more casual it is at least focused on being fun. It also has the widest variety in planes to fly and there's even tanks now so when you get bored there's other things to dork around in. This is the one I find myself playing the most because I actually like playing with countless other people without having to schedule it on my calendar. RoF and BoS are considerably active but even they still suffer from occasional dead times outside of peak hours.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
After thousands and thousands of hours from BMS, DCS, RoF, BoS, FSX, MSCFS, etc, I can wholeheartedly say that War Thunder is a good game for fans of aviation and also free to play with no Pay2win.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
FSX Steam Edition is 5 bucks on GetGames right now.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Shanakin posted:

handle from a flying standpoint as long as you know about prop torque etc on take off.

This. The first couple of times you feel the effects of over-torque, it's a bit of a mystery, as it's not like you just slam over. I think everyone does this first, as we're expecting to 'throttle up' when taking off.

War Thunder 109 flying cured me of that.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

I don't actually play that many flight sims anymore, but I did write an MFD Webapp for my tablet. I use it for playing Star Citizen (ha ha ha, lol like its every going to be finished) because I'm terrible at remembering key bindings. However its written in such a way that it would work for any flight sim. Skoll recommended I repost it here so other goons can help me test it.

If there is enough interest I'll make a custom version tailored for flight sims.

screenshot here: http://i.imgur.com/XtyTotI.png

Anyone interested in testing it? You'll have to edit an .ini file to configure the MFD to map to the keybinds of the game of your choice, but it will work for any game.

If there is enough interest I'll post the link and instructions.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Eldragon posted:

playing Star Citizen

:confused:

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

I'm referring to their unfinished alpha dogfighting module. Buggy and unbalanced, but it scratched my space sim itch.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I suggested this in the IRC earlier, but who's up for a VATSIM group flight? I was thinking something like Denver to Salt Lake or Las Vegas, just to get some of the rustier and newer guys here up to speed.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Pick a date and I might show up as long as its not the next 2 weekends I'm super busy.

Unless people are up for coffee and airplanes at 8 am.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

EvilJoven posted:

Pick a date and I might show up as long as its not the next 2 weekends I'm super busy.

Unless people are up for coffee and airplanes at 8 am.

I'm sometimes up at 8am EDT on Sundays to watch F1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immelman
Oct 6, 2014

Forums Terrorist posted:

I suggested this in the IRC earlier, but who's up for a VATSIM group flight? I was thinking something like Denver to Salt Lake or Las Vegas, just to get some of the rustier and newer guys here up to speed.

I would be very interested in this!