Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Yeah, 00-04 and 05+ are the hosed years for simple rear suspension. Redid the entire rear end in my Baja (same setup as yours) and without lots of time and access to a press I would be slitting my wrists.

Paying someone is a much better option in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I got bajawrx all the rear bushings for his car, which has the same suspension, through whiteline. Think they make every bushing, runs a little over $300 in parts. The downside is that they aren't split bushings like the TIC parts for the older cars so they have to get pressed in as well.

You could possibly pull all the arms, get the bushings out yourself, and then bring them somewhere with a press. Or get one of the cheap harbor freight presses and tool kits. They are all pretty small and don't take a huge amount of force to get out. Front of the trailing arm will be the biggest pain in the rear end because it's one big piece that includes the upright.

One option would be the adjustable LCA and toe link kit. I think it's something like $400 but would save a lot of labor. Still leaves the upper arm and front trailing bushing though.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

jamal posted:

You could possibly pull all the arms, get the bushings out yourself, and then bring them somewhere with a press. Or get one of the cheap harbor freight presses and tool kits. They are all pretty small and don't take a huge amount of force to get out. Front of the trailing arm will be the biggest pain in the rear end because it's one big piece that includes the upright.

One option would be the adjustable LCA and toe link kit. I think it's something like $400 but would save a lot of labor. Still leaves the upper arm and front trailing bushing though.

This was my initial plan before I realized just how many drat bushings there are. Even with that whiteline combo kit there are still a bunch of bushings that would need pressing, so I think I'll just have the shop do it. With 190k on the clock even OEM replacements should be way better than what's there now.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Atleast in Brisbane, shops get prety annoyed if you bring them arms you've already pulled off yourself. As far a as a lot of them are concerned, if you aren't going to pay them to do the whole thing, you can gtfo

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Hey so I'm the proud owner of a 2006 Forester X with 83k on the clock. It came into my possession about 4 months ago for a very decent price since, well, it's coming up on all the major maintenance milestones and the interior isn't phenomenal.

I took it in for regular service at a Subaru dealership today, and their primary concern is now, of course, the head gaskets. They said they're leaking oil now. What should I be looking at with regards to repair cost on these? I was quoted $2800. That's parts + labor. I saw the note in the OP about specifying the MLS gaskets, is this likely to be something the dealership will charge more for? I have a Seal & Gasket warranty from the (third party) dealer I purchased it from, so I'm not too worried about the cost but I do want the job done right.

I drive very little, maybe 4 miles per weekday total to/from work (I ride my bike when it's nice enough). I've put about 500 miles on it since buying it, which includes one long unplanned trip that I opted to drive my car for instead of my girlfriend's Mazda 3. Is this something I could kick down the line a bit in light of that assuming I check the oil on the regular or will it cause a sudden failure one day?

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 26, 2015

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Anyone got spare bits for 1999 Foresters laying around? I need passenger side headlight and foglight assemblies, got into a fight with a new Outback yesterday and lost...

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What tires do you dudes in the hot parts of the world run? I have no idea about tires and I don't really want semi slicks cause I have to drive in heavy rain/daily drive so semis would be a waste/kill me. That's what the internet says I need, just like it says I need $200 a corner minimum rotors.

I just want a good street tire that will grip well when I go for a mang and be fine when I have to drive in fhe wet.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 26, 2015

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

So i have a question for jamal or bull. I am working on a ej255 turbo and doing a timing belt. every time i set timing and pull the tensioner pin roll it over get the crank back to tdc, check the marks and the drivers side cams are a like a a half tooth to a tooth retarded, if i hold the crank and turn the intake cam both of them set to the marks and every thing looks set. So i dug into this and it occurs when i pull the tensioner pin and rotate the tensioner it eats some slack and the cam doesn't move. I have set it like 3 times now all with the same results, and i haven't had this occur before on a suby t belt replacement.

A) is the tensioner bad from the box?
B) Is it the wrong part possibly? i would assume all ej255 turbos have the same tensioner
C) The unlikely scenario, is this going to be ok? It seems like its just the tensioner messing with timing, maybe avcs adjusts this?
D) If its not do i have to ignore the belt marks and just set the drivers intake cam and exhaust a tooth advanced and try to get it to pull back into time, after tension applied?

So long story short we buttoned it up a tooth off, got it running and it misfires under load. the code is intermitent po302 (cyl 2 misfire). I am having the owner swap coils then injectors. My question is this would timing affect all cylinders under load or is it possible to get to get only the cyl 2 misfire?

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

Shere posted:

Hey so I'm the proud owner of a 2006 Forester XT with 83k on the clock. It came into my possession about 4 months ago for a very decent price since, well, it's coming up on all the major maintenance milestones and the interior isn't phenomenal.

I took it in for regular service at a Subaru dealership today, and their primary concern is now, of course, the head gaskets. They said they're leaking oil now. What should I be looking at with regards to repair cost on these? I was quoted $2800. That's parts + labor. I saw the note in the OP about specifying the MLS gaskets, is this likely to be something the dealership will charge more for? I have a Seal & Gasket warranty from the (third party) dealer I purchased it from, so I'm not too worried about the cost but I do want the job done right.

I drive very little, maybe 4 miles per weekday total to/from work (I ride my bike when it's nice enough). I've put about 500 miles on it since buying it, which includes one long unplanned trip that I opted to drive my car for instead of my girlfriend's Mazda 3. Is this something I could kick down the line a bit in light of that assuming I check the oil on the regular or will it cause a sudden failure one day?

The headgasket advice in the OP applies to the N/A EJ25, not the turbo engines like the one in your car. IIRC the only gaskets for the turbo motors are MLS, so no worries there but it seems odd they'd be leaking at 83k miles. From everything I've heard the turbo cars don't really have headgasket issues the way the N/A cars do. Are you sure they meant headgaskets and not valve cover gaskets? I know those get cooked on the turbo cars by the heat from the exhaust manifold, but if it's those then $2800 seems very high to me.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Err, sorry, mine isn't the XT, just the X. I wanted the XT and my brain typed that extra letter as some sort of wishful Freudian slip.

So yeah, no turbo. They definitely specified the head gaskets. Sorry about that.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 26, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A dealer probably won't give your those gaskets even if you ask. I would suggest finding a good independent Subaru mechanic. It'll cost you less and they'll probably do a better job.

Can you tell I don't like Subaru dealership service departments?

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

What tires do you dudes in the hot parts of the world run? I have no idea about tires and I don't really want semi slicks cause I have to drive in heavy rain/daily drive so semis would be a waste/kill me. That's what the internet says I need, just like it says I need $200 a corner minimum rotors.

I just want a good street tire that will grip well when I go for a mang and be fine when I have to drive in fhe wet.

I use sets of hankook rs3/v2 and bridgestone re11a all year; the re11's can be really sketchy in the wet when you want them to be, but otherwise they're fine. Both communicate very well and double as my goto autox/hpde tires, until I finally switch to r comps this summer.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I need them to be good in heavy rain, my city is known for its daily afternoon summer storms so I'm really looking for good not semi slicks. I've heard kuhmo ku39s are supposed to be good but i really have no idea.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

I just went from Dunlop ZIIs on my Miata to BFG Sportcomp 2s and I like them pretty well. Not as much grip clearly but the sport comps are really impressive in the wet. I made the change from the fast tires to the sport comps because of price, and I'm not running my Miata in autocross right now. (Plus I only got 7.5k miles out of the ZII)

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

re003s are a really nice mix of price/fun. I had 002 on my wrx and they did a pretty good job. The 003s are better again and are doing really well on the aw11.

I need them to be good in heavy rain, my city is known for its daily afternoon summer storms so I'm really looking for good not semi slicks. I've heard kuhmo ku39s are supposed to be good but i really have no idea.

Pretty good in the rain. They also held the back end in in the aw11 when I took it off road today....

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I really don't like the clutch feel in my 06 Saabaru, especially after driving in the Miata all summer. I'm about to start driving a lot more stop and go traffic and would like to do what I can to improve it. What are my options? I'm looking at a stainless steel line replacement right now but don't know how noticeable that will be or if there's anything else I should tackle.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Have you ever bled it? All the hydraulic-clutch Subarus I've owned have had brutal amounts of air trapped in the system from the morons who swapped the clutches.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Nope, it's on the original clutch.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Finally got the timing belt done and just in time too. When the tensioner came out it basically just fell apart. The only thing holding the bearings inside it was the belt tension itself. Gonna go buy a lottery ticket now.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My brother wants to mount a hitch for bikes on his 2013 crosstrek. The one he wants requires enlarging a hole in the frame to make it fit. Due to that requirement I am voting no. Is that being overly cautious in an area that gets snow and salts it roads?

The holes are right near the exhaust in an area likely to see lots of road spray.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Huge red flag. Rust will destroy it in short order, even proper painting and rust proofing would still make be nervous.

What about getting the factory hitch and a bike attachment for that?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
From what I hear the factory one is much more money. Like 700 vs 150.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

From what I hear the factory one is much more money. Like 700 vs 150.

Spend the extra $550 now rather than $2k at the body shop in 5 years to repair the frame.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My thoughts were roof storage. Either way, I am glad to hear drilling the frame is a bad idea and not me being overly cautious.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Roof rack or an old school strap-on rack for the hatch.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This it the hitch I have on my Crosstrek and I'm a big fan: http://torkliftcentral.com/trailer-hitch-and-towing/ecohitch/subaru/xv-crosstrek/2013-2014-subaru-xv-crosstrek-ecohitch-invisi

I think they had to drill an existing hole larger to do part of the install but IDGAF.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

So long story short we buttoned it up a tooth off, got it running and it misfires under load. the code is intermitent po302 (cyl 2 misfire). I am having the owner swap coils then injectors. My question is this would timing affect all cylinders under load or is it possible to get to get only the cyl 2 misfire?

So i know you all have been chomping at the bit and firing off suggestions at what it could be.........................cyl 2 spark plug had cracked and the ceramic was seperating. Put a new one in car drives fine, no p0021/etc cam over advanced.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
So I found out I actually work with the guy who owns AZPinstalls in kenilworth, NJ. After a chat ended up having them do a killer b pickup and tray, dw65c, defi oil temp and pressure in an SMY cluster. Couldnt be happier with these guys, if you live in the area definitely check them out. They do top notch work, super easy to deal with and they have a BRZ track car which is probably the loudest thing Ive ever heard!

E: They also did a fantastic alignment

TheFargate fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 29, 2015

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
WRXQuest 2015 continues...
I just got a line on a 2013 WRX Premium (non-hatch, which makes me very sad, but I am having no luck finding those) for ~23K. I'm looking for a mechanic in the area to take it to, but it looks good from service history and a cursory inspection/testdrive.
The thing only had 34,000 miles on it because the guy basically just drove to the airport and back. No engine part replacement, either. [snip dumb poo poo about headgaskets because I suck at reading]
What stuff should tell the mechanic to look out for, and am I getting ripped off?

e: I forgot to mention it has a roof rack with bike+board attachments included, so that might explain a small price hike.

SilentW fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 30, 2015

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

SilentW posted:

I just got a line on a 2013 WRX Premium (non-hatch, which makes me very sad, but I am having no luck finding those) for ~23K. I'm looking for a mechanic in the area to take it to, but it looks good from service history and a cursory inspection/testdrive.
The thing only had 34,000 miles on it because the guy basically just drove to the airport and back. No engine part replacement, either... so it either doesn't have the headgasket problem, or just hasn't hit it yet, right?
What stuff should tell the mechanic to look out for, and am I getting ripped off?

e: I forgot to mention it has a roof rack with bike+board attachments included, so that might explain a small price hike.

Reread the OP about head gaskets.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Slow is Fast posted:

Reread the OP about head gaskets.

:doh: Thank you.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
I just swapped out the rear diff bushings and pitch stop mount on my 05 LGT with new poly bits and holeeee crap it's the best thing I've done to this car. I used to miss a couple shifts every drat day and all of a sudden the action is smooth and predictable. The 2.5k stutter is also drastically reduced now. If the old bushings didn't have 125k miles on them it probably wouldn't have been this noticeable but it's seriously made me love this car again.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

SilentW posted:

The thing only had 34,000 miles on it because the guy basically just drove to the airport and back. No engine part replacement, either. [snip dumb poo poo about headgaskets because I suck at reading]

Have him check the compression. Also, check the bolts around the turbo/downpipe area. If you see any marks, you'll know it had a modified downpipe added, and therefore it was stage 2, so it was probably driven hard, despite what the PO says

If everything's OK, then it'll be a solid purchase.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
2000 Subaru Outback Base - the AC only vents air from the front vents. Everything else works great including the temp control, AC / Air recycle control, and the speed of the air but it only blows air from the front vents. Even if I change the knob to the foot vents / window vents - air only comes from the front. What's the issue here?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Broken cable? Is the selector super easy to rotate? Could be mice nesting in the vents like I had but the smell gave it away.

Mercury Ballistic fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 30, 2015

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Pop the face off the dash, and perhaps also pull the radio, and take a look at what's going on with the linkage to that selector. A lot of those parts are plastic; I wouldn't be surprised if something snapped or if the linkage just fell out of place.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Yours should be electric for the hvac doors, might have burnt out the servo that moves it, or the circuitry in the controller might be fried. Try moving the knob and take a flashlight to look at the servo to see if it's moving. Should be able to see it if you look from the driver's foot well and contort yourself to look up from the floor pan into the center consol. Should be accessible from there (God help you if it isn't, it's a huge pain to remove the whole blend box)

Try replacing the hvac controls with a junkyard unit, should be cheap enough and it could solve your issue.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So my room mate totaled his lovely v6 mustang and is looking at Subarus. I don't know poo poo about foresters. Is there any reason not to look at this?
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5149879279.html

He would rather a 5 speed but the auto isn't a deal breaker for him.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Can't hurt to take a look at it in person. Ask to see the maintenance records, too. One thing really stands out:

That odd wheel. Okay, so the original wheel was damaged and replaced. How was it damaged? Was anything else damaged at the same time? Was it being driven on the spare? If so, how long? That could gently caress up the diffs.

As always, the best piece of advice is to have an actual mechanic look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would definitely check to make sure all four tires are the same kind, size, and tread wear level.

All four tires must be pretty drat close to the same outside diameter. If they're not, the AWD system will get upset and eventually lead to a center differential failure.