Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Congratulations, GOP...you've finally got your Ralph Nader.

That being said, I'm surprised Trump didn't pay someone to pull a Machete while he was visiting Laredo to pump him up another 20 points with an assassination attempt by a 'dirty, violent Mexican.'

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That being said, I'm surprised Trump didn't pay someone to pull a Machete while he was visiting Laredo to pump him up another 20 points with an assassination attempt by a 'dirty, violent Mexican.'

I'm from that area. I'm surprised it didn't happen anyway.

Or better yet, he probably did pay someone but they just took the money and went back across the border.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Looks like Larry is finally covering Sandra Bland, so this should be a good one at least. That whole situation is like 100 different kinds of hosed up.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

raditts posted:

Looks like Larry is finally covering Sandra Bland, so this should be a good one at least. That whole situation is like 100 different kinds of hosed up.

I haven't seen tonight's episode, but based on the slow burn of facts leaking I almost think its a conscience decision to wait a few days to get the most bang for their buck rather than revisiting every night.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

kayakyakr posted:

I'm from that area. I'm surprised it didn't happen anyway.

Or better yet, he probably did pay someone but they just took the money and went back across the border.

"See, this is proof they're lazy and untrustworthy...when you pay one of them to wound you they don't follow through. If I'd paid a *white guy* I'd be in a hospital right now with a gouge outta my arm. Whaddya mean what I did was against the law, it's MY BODY I was paying him to shoot - I should be able to have whatever I want done to me. Huh? Of course I'm still pro-life, why'd you ask that?"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

So here's a thing I ran across. I don't suppose this had anything to do with Wyatt leaving the show. I can't imagine they were/are on awfully terrible terms though, since he's been back a couple of times.
http://www.vulture.com/2015/07/jon-stewart-told-wyatt-cenac-to-fck-off.html?mid=fb-share-vulture

swickles posted:

I haven't seen tonight's episode, but based on the slow burn of facts leaking I almost think its a conscience decision to wait a few days to get the most bang for their buck rather than revisiting every night.

Oddly, he only covered the traffic stop bit.

And then two of the three people on the panel parroted the whole "if you're polite to the police then nothing bad will happen!" horseshit while the third was just kinda :stare: at them. :ughh:

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
I read another interview with Wyatt where he basically appointed himself ambassador of all minority-kind in the writing staff, which seems pretty goddamn arrogant and not particularly conducive to making comedy. Plus, Stewart's impression of Herman Caine didn't even sound like him. It was just some generic gruff voice making jokes about how Herman didn't like to read--and it couldn't be more obvious that he really doesn't, since he ran for president without having the faintest clue what the hell was going on in Libya or what Uzbekistan is.

Seems like Wyatt wanted to police The Daily Show and kept pushing buttons until Stewart told him to "gently caress off."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

In all fairness, Ooze-becky-becky-stan-stan is a mystery to us all. But we gotta catch em all.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 24, 2015

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Did you guys know that one guy on the panel used to be a police officer?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

kittenmittons posted:

Did you guys know that one guy on the panel used to be a police officer?

That's funny, he didn't mention it at all!

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I read another interview with Wyatt where he basically appointed himself ambassador of all minority-kind in the writing staff, which seems pretty goddamn arrogant and not particularly conducive to making comedy. Plus, Stewart's impression of Herman Caine didn't even sound like him. It was just some generic gruff voice making jokes about how Herman didn't like to read--and it couldn't be more obvious that he really doesn't, since he ran for president without having the faintest clue what the hell was going on in Libya or what Uzbekistan is.

Seems like Wyatt wanted to police The Daily Show and kept pushing buttons until Stewart told him to "gently caress off."

Maybe. But if he's the ONLY black person on the staff, he's gotta feel like his perspective is the one with the most weight when it comes to these issues.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Also, you know, try not to lose your poo poo in front of your employees.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, if the words "gently caress off" are said in anger in a workplace whoever is involved probably shouldn't work together.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Sounds like roommates getting on each others' nerves, the writers' rooms of these kinds of shows tend to be like second and even first homes during show weeks.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

It does bring up an interesting situation where the last time Cenac was on the Daily Show (2014), Jon was out sick and Jason and Samantha were the hosts.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/video-playlists/s2k6wi/the-daily-show-20006-highlights/fbche4

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Sputty thinks I'm awesome and I deserve a kitten avatar!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

raditts posted:

That's funny, he didn't mention it at all!

Larry mentioned it at the beginning and the dude also said a few times he used to be a cop.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Larry mentioned it at the beginning and the dude also said a few times he used to be a cop.

:thejoke:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

It does bring up an interesting situation where the last time Cenac was on the Daily Show (2014), Jon was out sick and Jason and Samantha were the hosts.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/video-playlists/s2k6wi/the-daily-show-20006-highlights/fbche4
I really hope Jon really was sick that night because I don't need more awkward-in-hindsight moments.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I dunno, maybe I'm going out on a limb here but perhaps a staff full of white guys shouldn't be telling the one black guy what he should or shouldn't twig as kind of racist. That sort of smacks of whitesplaining, probably because it's the literal definition of it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

GreenNight posted:

:geno: Really, man...

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Cabbit posted:

I dunno, maybe I'm going out on a limb here but perhaps a staff full of white guys shouldn't be telling the one black guy what he should or shouldn't twig as kind of racist. That sort of smacks of whitesplaining, probably because it's the literal definition of it.

I agree with you but Wyatt also seems just hipstery enough that I could see where he might be difficult to work with in general.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I wanted to double check some dates. Travon Free joined the TDS writers in November 2012. That was also Jessica Williams' freshman year as a correspondent; she joined January.

I didn't listen to the podcast yet, but it's very likely Wyatt is fairly representing what happened. I still hope he and Jon can patch things up. :(

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Cabbit posted:

"I think that's racist."
"I respectfully disagree."
:kingsley: "Whitesplaining!" :kingsley:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Soylentbits posted:

I agree with you but Wyatt also seems just hipstery enough that I could see where he might be difficult to work with in general.

I mean I think he's probably at least exaggerating the story for dramatic effect, but you're taking it full reddit here.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

ultramiraculous posted:

I mean I think he's probably at least exaggerating the story for dramatic effect, but you're taking it full reddit here.

I have no idea what taking it full reddit means.

I've got Wyatt Cenac was having a tough time at the Daily Show and that awkward work relationship stuff happened and may or may not have been exacerbated by him being the only black correspondent on staff. His viewpoint seems reasonable to me.

I mean he still seems to get along with the Daily Show cast. I think he's just a really weird guy and that personalities clashed. I don't think Cabbit was wrong in that it raises warning flags when an all white cast clashes with the sole minority castmember about a racial joke. I don't think anybody came off particularly bad though. Amy Poehler has been pissed at castmates about feminist jokes before and nobody thinks twice about it.

Edit: Ohhhh. I may not have understood what whitesplaining was.

Soylentbits fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 25, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Can someone just post the bit Cenac apparently found racist?

The whole conversation seems like a minefield without that context. Dude seems like an insufferable hipster releasing a limited edition comedy album on vinyl and being a beardo in Mr Rogers clothes namedropping Brooklyn like it means fuckall. But he was also the only black guy in a room full of white people more likely than not children of privilege so...

The more important takeaway here is that TDS has office dogs that act as conflict resolution when people are fighting which is just :kimchi: as all gently caress.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

IRQ posted:

Can someone just post the bit Cenac apparently found racist?
Slate has the clip here

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/07/24/wyatt_cenac_on_jon_stewart_on_wtf_he_told_me_to_f_k_off_when_i_criticized.html

it's from the June 9 2011 episode.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/ifx6ld/c--k-blocked-roundup---tim-pawlenty---herman-cain

He addresses the controversy on June 28.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/7qzuu1/oh--for-fox-sake---stewart-eviscerates-stewart

Now that I've watched it, I don't see the problem with political comedians imitating the dude's dialect and mocking his political statements, but then the Outrage Olympics are just getting revved up here so game on.

edit: This bit just came up on the Month of Zen stream as I finished this post. Eerie.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/u5thvd/conversation-about-race

pwn fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 25, 2015

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I had forgotten how ridiculous John Stewart's goatee was.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

"I think that's racist."
"I respectfully disagree."
:kingsley: "Whitesplaining!" :kingsley:

I mean he's free to disagree, but I'd be really interested in why you think the white dude has a better or even equal insight into what is offensive to black dudes than the black dude.

Also 'I respectfully disagree' probably would have gone over better than telling Wyatt to go gently caress himself, repeatedly and at a high volume.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

pwn posted:

Slate has the clip here

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/07/24/wyatt_cenac_on_jon_stewart_on_wtf_he_told_me_to_f_k_off_when_i_criticized.html

it's from the June 9 2011 episode.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/ifx6ld/c--k-blocked-roundup---tim-pawlenty---herman-cain

He addresses the controversy on June 28.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/7qzuu1/oh--for-fox-sake---stewart-eviscerates-stewart

Now that I've watched it, I don't see the problem with political comedians imitating the dude's dialect and mocking his political statements, but then the Outrage Olympics are just getting revved up here so game on.

It just sounds like a blowhard southern idiot voice to me.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Cabbit posted:

I mean he's free to disagree, but I'd be really interested in why you think the white dude has a better or even equal insight into what is offensive to black dudes than the black dude.

Well, everybody is entitled to their opinion. Cenac may have found it personally offensive, and he may have felt the need to speak on behalf of all black people, but the fact remains that Stewart is, as host the show, the final decision-maker as to whether a joke is too offensive or the wrong kind of offensive to put on the air. (Stewart has also been in comedy a lot longer than Cenac and is therefore in a better position to know where the line is, and how not to cross it)

This story reminds me of the jackass who wrote about going to a Daily Show taping on Salon. The warmup comedian apparently told some ethnic jokes, so the self-appointed Captain of the Speech Police in the audience asked Stewart, “Why does your warm-up comedian use ethnic humor?”

Salon posted:

Stewart’s face creased with annoyance. He said, shortly, loudly, glaring at me, “BECAUSE. IT’S. loving. FUNNY.” The audience erupted into wild applause.

http://www.salon.com/2014/04/09/jon_stewart_cursed_me_out_i_dared_question_a_daily_show_warm_up_comics_racist_jokes/

I don't believe for a second that Stewart has a racist bone in his body. He's just trying to make people laugh. Its not an easy job and, yes, he kinda courted an audience of whiny pussies, but it doesn't make the job any easier if he has to run every joke past a committee of blacks/women/asians/whites/etc to make sure no one takes the slightest bit of offense. The fact is, someone is always going to be offended. The question, then, is where to draw the line. Stewart drew it one place. Cenac another. Stewart, as host, gets final say and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt over Cenac, despite Cenac's skin color giving him superlative offense spotting abilities.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

IRQ posted:

It just sounds like a blowhard southern idiot voice to me.

Yeah, this is where it's at for me. It even specifically reminded me of the relatively recent Little Caesars commercial with the pizza lawyer.

He basically made his voice slightly gruffier and injected a southern dialect into it. I'd be surprised if John hasn't used the exact voice before for mocking someone else.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The whole WTF interview with Cenac is worth listening. It was interesting to hear him talk about his family background and some of his personal problems. But in regards to what everyone was talking about, I was hoping Stewart might not come off as bad in context as what people were writing about it. But it still comes off as pretty bad. Cenac does weigh that one incident against the fact that Stewart hired him at a time he really needed a job and The Daily Show practically saved his life; but that specific anecdote...

To clarify, Wyatt wasn't there when the initial impression was pitched. But he challenged Stewart when the show was crafting the Fox News rebuttal. Cenac thought they should just let it go and let it be forgotten in a few weeks, but everyone else was still going full steam ahead on the rebuttal. Just listen to the interview. Stew did admit to Wyatt he shouldn't have blown up on him and later on suggested him as one possible replacement to Comedy Central, but the story doesn't really have a nice ending. Not sure if we'll ever hear Stewart's side of the story.

Edit: Cenac does go into detail with his own emotional demons that might have affected his interpretation of that incident and general experience on the show. He doesn't overly fault Stewart. He's on the fence with returning for Jon's last show.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 26, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I kinda LOL'ed at the salon article talking about the warm up dude.

Having been to a LOT of comedy tapings, warm-up dudes are always terrible. Even if they're good comedians, they're usually doing soggy material or just riffing with the crowd. It also rarely matches up with the jokes told on-stage.

I took a friend to see @midnight thinking it'd be a great time since they had on members of the Archer cast. The warm up guy made several jokes about Jews - really light inoffensive wank you'd get even on TDS. You know, "jews run the media", that sorta stuff.

And my friend was PISSED. Not even jewish, just super super into Political Correctness.

And I'm someone who regularly uses "Check your privilege" with some friends.

---

I think its clear that Stewart blew up at Cenac for one of any number of reasons, and they never really healed the rift.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

So his problem was with the rebuttal? You mean the thing where Fox News would have literally called Stewart a klan member neo-hitler for not agreeing with "awww shucky ducky" and the pokemon theme song as valid presidential policy?

Yes, racism was the motive for mocking Cain. Just like mocking Palin was 100% sexism.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

IRQ posted:

So his problem was with the rebuttal? You mean the thing where Fox News would have literally called Stewart a klan member neo-hitler for not agreeing with "awww shucky ducky" and the pokemon theme song as valid presidential policy?

Yes, racism was the motive for mocking Cain. Just like mocking Palin was 100% sexism.
The argument began with the rebuttal. It started with Cenac arguing that the rebuttal was pretty much the equivalent of "but I have many black friends!", but it drifted back into Cenac saying he wasn't thrilled with the original bit in the first place. Jon asked why he didn't have problems with his other impressions like his Chuck Schumer; Wyatt said it's because Jon doing an accent for a black guy doesn't have the same effect as Jon casually making fun of another Jew.

By the time Stewart told him to gently caress off, Cenac maybe raised his objection for the third time already. Maybe combine that with the criticism he's getting from Fox News caused Stewart to lose it at that moment.

Wyatt and Jon were able to push that incident to the side. It was around the same time Wyatt's contract was up and he seriously thought about leaving (mostly because of other reasons), but people like John Oliver convinced him to stay on for another year. His last year was only as a correspondent and not a writer and Wyatt said that year was a bit awkward. And when he did finally leave, he was ready to move on. That incident alone may not have caused his disillusionment; Wyatt seems to be carrying some other issues, but it did make things worse.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

No, his problem seems to be that while Fox News was calling his Cain voice crazy KKK race-face Ha-Ha, prompting a desire for rebuttal, Cenac mildly agreed with the notion that the Cain voice was kinda troubling (although I doubt to the Fox News extent because nothing is to the Fox News extent). I imagine Stew blew up because he'd been smeared as a racist all over Bullshit Mountain and then suddenly he's getting it from his own writer's room, too. No one takes being called a racist well. Even racists try to call it "heritage" or "religious freedom" or whatever excuse they use. Only Hulk Hogan actually says "I guess I'm racist" and then tosses out some slurs.

I imagine this Cenac story might have caught on enough to precipitate a response from Stew-Beef, as I'm sure Fox News is covering it. Maybe he'll have Cenac on to discuss it, because I doubt Cenac meant it to blow up, either. I imagine the story might begin with something like "Well, it seems over the weekend, I have racism scandals in common with Hulk Hogan..."

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Which will segue nicely into discussing his new career as the world's worst professional wrestler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Please don't quote Irish Joe or respond to his arguments seriously.

• Locked thread