Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what was bad about throwing blades through monsters, getting a good shotgun, and spooky lighting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Real hurthling! posted:

what was bad about throwing blades through monsters, getting a good shotgun, and spooky lighting?

And jumping puzzles, in a FPS

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

theultimo posted:

And jumping puzzles, in a FPS

compared to HL1, the jumping in HL2 doesn't even register. its like cross from one scaffold to another type stuff unless i'm forgetting anything.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

precision posted:

make ammo universal

boom

problem solvers

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"the future war on terror" is such an awkward sentence fragment

is it "the war on terror in the future"? or is it "the future of war on current terror"? or is it "the future war on future terror"?

gently caress this poo poo

arcsig
May 29, 2015

precision posted:

"the future war on terror" is such an awkward sentence fragment

is it "the war on terror in the future"? or is it "the future of war on current terror"? or is it "the future war on future terror"?

gently caress this poo poo
So what you're saying is that tagline is about as well thought out as the rest of the game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've actually never played it, but from what I hear I dodged a bullet there

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

program666 posted:

I don't think I've ever seen you saying bad things about a videogame before, videogames.

Halo is the only video game I have played where I have not found anything about it to like.

I have enjoyed at least some small thing of every other game I've played. It is strange

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Mass Effect has universal ammo too.

precision posted:

It's got some neat ideas but overall it's really disappointing and deserves the reputation it has.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

precision posted:

Back at release the mouselook sensitivity was incredibly low for the PC version. The reason? They forgot to change it for the PC version so it was still stuck on the Xbox setting.

They patched it later, ofcourse, but the game was filled with that kind of sloppy design decisions and oversights. It's thoroughly mediocre.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

arcsig posted:

Limiting your ammo for the best weapons in the game is an element of balance, not a flaw in game design.

Ummm no. Preventing the player from having more fun is bad game design.

If you want to balance, you can balance the level. Reducing ammo is loving lazy.

Honestly, with the exception of survival and things like MGS where you rely on found weapons. Games should give you infinite ammo, or at least a way to convert or resupply for the weapons you prefer.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Mass Effect has universal ammo too.

Mass Effect less has 'universal ammo' and more just makes it so your pickups refill all your weapons.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Nasgate posted:

Ummm no. Preventing the player from having more fun is bad game design.

If you want to balance, you can balance the level. Reducing ammo is loving lazy.

Honestly, with the exception of survival and things like MGS where you rely on found weapons. Games should give you infinite ammo, or at least a way to convert or resupply for the weapons you prefer.
That sounds like a really awful idea. It would give you no reason to use any weapon except whatever one is the best.

I used to play on a lot of coop servers on Doom source ports and I'd occasionally join ones with infinite ammo enabled. And these servers always became boring as soon as we got to a level with a BFG in it. It just became everyone spamming BFG over and over and instantly clearing out rooms.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

arcsig posted:

If your method for convincing people to accept the weapon limit is to say the game is going to have poo poo balance anyways, I don't know how well that's going to work.

Oh I really don't care about the weapon limit because I'm not a baby so

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Realistically the game is going to suck regardless of the weapon limit; the weapon limit may end up being the least of your problems.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

arcsig posted:

That sounds like a really awful idea. It would give you no reason to use any weapon except whatever one is the best.

weapons balance should be about making a good role for each weapon in the game so you don't just use one, not making ammo scarce

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Real hurthling! posted:

weapons balance should be about making a good role for each weapon in the game so you don't just use one, not making ammo scarce
Of course, and the amount of available ammo for a weapon is part of what factors into its role. Going back to the BFG example, it's supposed to be a situational weapon for dealing with hordes of strong monsters, so it uses a lot of cells with each shot to prevent players from abusing it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Real hurthling! posted:

one would think that gamecube innards would be very cheap to include in future nintendo products since they've been in production for a zillion years
You might think so, but then you have to remember that chips get exponentially more expensive to make when they're older and no longer mass produced.

Also Gamecube and Wii should really be emulatable in software on anything even slightly more powerful than the Wii U.

icantfindaname posted:

the half-life games were important because of the mod communities that sprang up around them, not so much because of the games themselves, although they're both very good
Yep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLDlDG1q0_o

-Outside Eidos Software, in the near future-

"THIS IS FOR THIEF FOUUUUUUUUUUUR"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55DlnebIGFI

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

VideoGames posted:

Halo is the only video game I have played where I have not found anything about it to like.

I have enjoyed at least some small thing of every other game I've played. It is strange

It had local coop, online splitscreen and shared vehicles. poo poo was especially fun in Halo 3. If I didn't have friends I guess I would have thought it was lovely though

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Yeah, the thing about Halo is that it was the best multiplayer experience on a console. Servers were fairly large, you could customize a lot about the matches, and it had four-way splitscreen; those features stuck around long after Call of Duty made multiplayer about grinding for perks and so on. THere's a reason Halo was so successful.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I might end up being One of Those People who buys a game without owning the console because I really want Xenoblade X but I have no plans on getting a wiiu any time soon

times like this makes me miss my really bad ex-roommate who had all the videogames/consoles in the world

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

arcsig posted:

Of course, and the amount of available ammo for a weapon is part of what factors into its role. Going back to the BFG example, it's supposed to be a situational weapon for dealing with hordes of strong monsters, so it uses a lot of cells with each shot to prevent players from abusing it.

Or how about just balancing the weapons. Turns out big fuckoff lazers are slow, here's some small enemies. Or enemies that flank you when you're trying to reload a big rear end gun solo. Like i said, ammo scarcity is lazy rear end design and pretending it's elsewise is pretty silly.

Only thing dumber than ammo scarcity as game design is monster closets.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nasgate posted:

Or how about just balancing the weapons. Turns out big fuckoff lazers are slow, here's some small enemies. Or enemies that flank you when you're trying to reload a big rear end gun solo. Like i said, ammo scarcity is lazy rear end design and pretending it's elsewise is pretty silly.

There are numerous ways to balance a game, item scarcity is only a problem if you're got debilitating gamer OCD and can't use finite resources in case you need them more further down the line. Otherwise, having rare 'gently caress you, now you die' weapons with limited charges can be a fun part of singleplayer and multiplayer shooters

Also there's only so far you can balance weapons anyway, the whole point of the rocket launcher in Halo is it's a 1-hit kill, how the hell would you balance it to be a staple bread and butter weapon? Make the rocket move at walking pace? Just remove it from the game all together for the sake of Superior Balance?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I would remove the rocket launcher from halo. Because it's the most boring rear end weapon in the game, and it takes up so much of the HUD.

But in all seriousness, the slow load time and low clip size already balance it. Try using it against a large group, you will get shredded before you can kill more than a few dudes. That or you hide, peak out and one shot, repeat.

The thing is, you can do the latter even with the starting pistol, so yes if someone wants an easy way out, at least let it be quicker.

If you want a player to not use a tool you gave them, you're going to need to give them a reason, and something as lazy and artificial as ammo scarcity is awful. "Here's this cool thing, only now we're taking it back after five minutes because it's too good"

Edit: And if you're going to do ammo scarcity, have it make sense. like how in TNO you can't use the moon rifles on earth, because all the ammo is on the moon. But also in TNO you can't use your pistol until halfway through the first stage. Out of all the ammo types an airman will have, it's pistol ammo, why the gently caress do you not have pistol ammo?

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 26, 2015

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nasgate posted:

I would remove the rocket launcher from halo. Because it's the most boring rear end weapon in the game, and it takes up so much of the HUD.

But in all seriousness, the slow load time and low clip size already balance it. Try using it against a large group, you will get shredded before you can kill more than a few dudes. That or you hide, peak out and one shot, repeat.

The thing is, you can do the latter even with the starting pistol, so yes if someone wants an easy way out, at least let it be quicker.

If you want a player to not use a tool you gave them, you're going to need to give them a reason, and something as lazy and artificial as ammo scarcity is awful. "Here's this cool thing, only now we're taking it back after five minutes because it's too good"

Edit: And if you're going to do ammo scarcity, have it make sense. like how in TNO you can't use the moon rifles on earth, because all the ammo is on the moon. But also in TNO you can't use your pistol until halfway through the first stage. Out of all the ammo types an airman will have, it's pistol ammo, why the gently caress do you not have pistol ammo?

Even with balance limitations Halo's power weapons are all still too strong to be standard weapons, if you could use the rocket launcher or grav hammer with the same frequency as the assault rifle or battle rifle it'd degenerate the entire match. You'd have to nerf them into the ground or more likely just remove them all together in order to live up to your idea of balance

Honestly it just sounds like you're confusing your own personal tastes with objective game design, alot of people like having scarce power weapons in shooters; it rewards strong map awareness and makes it fun to cut lose with something you don't normally have access to. Getting the Grav Hammer in Halo 3 and murdering all my friends who don't have grav hammers was one of my favourite multiplayer experiences, Reach leant more in the direction you're talking about and I found the multiplayer was infinitely more boring for it

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

If you want a vision of the future war on terror, imagine tips being frosted and guns held sideways - forever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Honestly it just sounds like you're confusing your own personal tastes with objective game design,

This happens a lot. Like a whole lot.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Since the topic of Deus Ex came up I figure it's worth mentioning to promote the upcoming DX: Mankind Divided SquareEnix got Warren Spector and the lead programmer and writer from the original Deus Ex to play the game for an hour and talk about its development and design decisions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTVBSxnwiCo

Nothing too amazingly in-depth but if you're as gay for Deus Ex as I am it's cool just to see them shoot the poo poo about the game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
cant believe u were all mystified why a console fps based around using a controller would limit weapons to 2. here is a cool hint: u can use one button to switch between them, while sorting thru 20 weapons is not possible.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
Ever heard of a weapon wheel?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Problem Sleuth posted:

in 1999, no

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Problem Sleuth posted:

yeah that works great in multiplayer fps on a controller def a good idea wow

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
u could hit a button to bring up ur sidearm, or perhaps instead a giant wheel covering yur screen and taking control of one of ur control sticks while u are being shot at is a better idea hmmm??

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

bloodychill posted:

It had local coop, online splitscreen and shared vehicles. poo poo was especially fun in Halo 3. If I didn't have friends I guess I would have thought it was lovely though

Never played halo 3 because 1 was so boring. Tried to multiplayer it but it was just so boring and dull. I had been playing doom and quake for ages in LANs at that time so it offered nothing for me

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'm trying to find some other games with that sort of CYOA thing going on, like Alpha Protocol or Way of the Samurai. Any suggestions?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

witcher 2

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Nasgate posted:

A big loving gun that cleans out everything being balanced by consuming loads of scarce ammo sounds way more fun than a weaker, maybe slower weapon with infinite ammo to be quite frank.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Some games also put the weapon switch on dpad, but I guess console gamers are too stupid to know what the d-pad is anyway

We've fallen that far

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

corn in the bible posted:

I'm trying to find some other games with that sort of CYOA thing going on, like Alpha Protocol or Way of the Samurai. Any suggestions?

Persona 4 Golden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Speaking of P4G is there any way to turn the battle chatter off because jesus loving christ :negative:

I love the music and I want to listen to it but Teddie is the goddamn worst

• Locked thread