Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Is it legal to alias the outputs of a compute shader as a different type in another shader?

Like, if I have a compute shader output to a structured buffer that it thinks contains this:
code:
struct BlockV
{
    int4 stuff[8]
};
... and a pixel shader reads the same structured buffer thinking that it contains this:
code:
struct Block
{
    int stuff[32];
};
.... is that supported behavior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I'm playing around with OpenGL for the first time in a while and I'm having some troubles getting anything except the basic vertex positions to work properly. For example, I'm trying to draw a simple textured quad but the quad only gets colored by the top left pixel of the texture so it seems like the UV coordinates are not uploaded properly, or something.

I have a little model class that wraps the VAO and VBO's and in the constructor I have something like this:

C++ code:
  // VERTEX_ATTRIB_INDEX = 0
  // UV_ATTRIB_INDEX = 2

glGenVertexArrays(1, &vertex_array_object_id[0]);
  glBindVertexArray(vertex_array_object_id[0]);

glGenBuffers(1, vertex_buffer_object_id);
  glEnableVertexAttribArray(VERTEX_ATTRIB_INDEX);
  glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, vertex_buffer_object_id[0]);
  glBufferData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, vertex_data.vertices.size() * sizeof(GLfloat), &vertex_data.vertices[0], GL_STATIC_DRAW);
  glVertexAttribPointer(VERTEX_ATTRIB_INDEX, 3, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, 0, nullptr);

if (vertex_data.uvs.size())
  {
    glGenBuffers(1, uv_buffer_object_id);
    glEnableVertexAttribArray(UV_ATTRIB_INDEX);
    glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, uv_buffer_object_id[0]);
    glBufferData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, vertex_data.uvs.size() * sizeof(GLfloat), &vertex_data.uvs[0], GL_STATIC_DRAW);
    glVertexAttribPointer(UV_ATTRIB_INDEX, 2, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, 0, nullptr);
  }

[...]
And the render function is just
C++ code:
void model::render() const
{
  glBindVertexArray(vertex_array_object_id[0]);
  glDrawArrays(primitive_type, 0, vertex_data.vertices.size() / 3);

glBindVertexArray(0);
}
Last time I worked with OpenGL I mostly used immediate mode functions, but as I understand it once you have created the VAO it should be enough to only bind it and then calling glDrawArrays when you want to render the contents, right?

Shaders
C++ code:
// Vertex
#version 130

in vec3 vertex_position;
in vec2 vertex_uv;
out vec2 uv;
uniform mat4 MVP;

void main()
{
  gl_Position = MVP * vec4(vertex_position, 1);
  uv = vertex_uv;
}

// Fragment
#version 130

in vec2 uv;
out vec4 color;
uniform sampler2D texture0;

void main()
{
  color = texture(texture0, uv).rgba;
}
I'm calling the usual glActiveTexture, glBindTexture, activating the shader, binding the attributes etc. before calling the above rendering function but I don't want to paste too much code.

I'm feeling like I'm missing something fundamental here, but googling only gives me results from people forgetting to set the UV coords altogether, or they're working in immediate mode and forgetting to call glEnable, stuff like that.

netcat fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 2, 2015

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I think it may be because you're binding the UVs to location 2 in stead of 1. I'm not sure why you're doing this, since you have no normals, so you could have positions in 0 and UVs in 1. When the shader compiler reads this:

code:
in vec3 vertex_position;
in vec2 vertex_uv;
I'm pretty sure it's expecting vertex_position to be at location 0 and vertex_uv to be at position 1. That said, I'm not sure how it'd handle it when you don't actually have any data uploaded for location 1, so I may be completely wrong.

If your GPU supports shader version 330, try replacing the top of your vertex shader with this:

code:
#version 330

layout(location=0)in vec3 vertex_position;
layout(location=2)in vec2 vertex_uv;
If you do in fact upload normal data, try just adding the line

code:
in vec3 vertex_normal;
between position and uv.

If the other things fail, try putting UV coordinates at location 1 in stead of location 2.

Also, the standard nowadays is to interleave your data into a single array, so you have {position,uv,position,uv,position,uv....position,uv} rather than sending it as separate arrays. This is both faster for the GPU when you draw, and it allows you to do stuff like this:

code:
GLuint vbuffer;
glGenBuffers(1, &vbuffer);
glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, vbuffer);//Bind vertex buffer

glBufferData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, vertices.size() * sizeof(Vertex), &(vertices[0]), GL_STATIC_DRAW);//Upload interleaved data

glEnableVertexAttribArray(0);
glVertexAttribPointer(0, 3, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, sizeof(Vertex), (void*)offsetof(Vertex, position));
//Position is 3 floats, occuring every sizeof(Vertex) and offset to the position data in Vertex

glEnableVertexAttribArray(1);
glVertexAttribPointer(1, 2, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, sizeof(Vertex), (void*)offsetof(Vertex, UV));
//UV is 2 floats, occuring every sizeof(Vertex) and offset to the UV data in Vertex
E: Note, that particular implementation (since it uses offsetof()) requires you to have a Vertex struct that contains a float position[3] and a float UV[2], which is one way to interleave the data.

Joda fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 2, 2015

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Joda posted:

I think it may be because you're binding the UVs to location 2 in stead of 1. I'm not sure why you're doing this, since you have no normals, so you could have positions in 0 and UVs in 1. When the shader compiler reads this:

code:
in vec3 vertex_position;
in vec2 vertex_uv;
I'm pretty sure it's expecting vertex_position to be at location 0 and vertex_uv to be at position 1. That said, I'm not sure how it'd handle it when you don't actually have any data uploaded for location 1, so I may be completely wrong.

If your GPU supports shader version 330, try replacing the top of your vertex shader with this:

code:
#version 330

layout(location=0)in vec3 vertex_position;
layout(location=2)in vec2 vertex_uv;
If you do in fact upload normal data, try just adding the line

code:
in vec3 vertex_normal;
between position and uv.

If the other things fail, try putting UV coordinates at location 1 in stead of location 2.

Also, the standard nowadays is to interleave your data into a single array, so you have {position,uv,position,uv,position,uv....position,uv} rather than sending it as separate arrays. This is both faster for the GPU when you draw, and it allows you to do stuff like this:

code:
GLuint vbuffer;
glGenBuffers(1, &vbuffer);
glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, vbuffer);//Bind vertex buffer

glBufferData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, vertices.size() * sizeof(Vertex), &(vertices[0]), GL_STATIC_DRAW);//Upload interleaved data

glEnableVertexAttribArray(0);
glVertexAttribPointer(0, 3, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, sizeof(Vertex), (void*)offsetof(Vertex, position));
//Position is 3 floats, occuring every sizeof(Vertex) and offset to the position data in Vertex

glEnableVertexAttribArray(1);
glVertexAttribPointer(1, 2, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, sizeof(Vertex), (void*)offsetof(Vertex, UV));
//UV is 2 floats, occuring every sizeof(Vertex) and offset to the UV data in Vertex

Ah, that worked, thanks! I thought that since I used the same value in glBindAttribLocation, the order wouldn't matter. The reason I had 2 for UV was because I wanted to use different locations for color and uvs, which in retrospect doesn't make much sense. I'll have to look into using a single array too then, I guess. :)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
You should use glGetAttribLocation to know what location to bind to.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Edit: Do yourself a favor and skip this whole post
I've been tearing my hair out over my normals, I clearly don't understand what the gently caress I'm doing...

I'm drawing a terrain mesh with the normal data as a separate texture. The reason for this is because I want the normal data to have a higher resolution than the terrain vertices.
Here is the terrain mesh, with normal data:

Don't mind the seam, this is where two terrain meshes (and hence 2 normal maps) meet, I'll get around to fixing that next...
The pixel shader for this is simply:
code:
return float4(normalize(tex2D(NormalMapSampler, texcoords.yx / 64).xyz), 0); // the terrain mesh is 64x64 verts, hence the division
As you can see I'm encoding the normals so that XYZ 0,0,1 becomes RGB 0.5, 0.5, 1.0. This is to allow for negative values, as I understand it this is fairly standard practice?
The normals are encoded in C# like this:
code:
Vector3 normal = Vector3.Normalize(Vector3.Cross(Q, P));
normal = normal * new Vector3(0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f) + new Vector3(0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f);
normalData[i] = new Color(new Vector4(normal, 0));
When I sample the above picture with the eyedropper tool in photoshop, however, the flat areas (where the normals are 0,0,1: debugging the normal generation code in C# confirms that the normals are calculated correctly) gives me 104, 104, 208. Which is like an XYZ of like... 0.4, 0.4, 0.8?

This obviously gives me slightly incorrect results. Modifying the shader to add some sort of directional light, from straight above, and decoded normals:
code:
float4 normal = float4(normalize(tex2D(NormalMapSampler, texcoords.yx / 64).xyz), 0) * float4(2,2,2,0) - float4(1,1,1,0);
return dot(float3(0,0,-1), normal);

the flat areas are somewhat off-white. Putting in a light direction of something like 0.25, 0.25, -1 gives me pretty close to pure white for the flat areas, which makes sense given how slightly off-color the normal map texture is. The surface format of the texture is 32-bit RGBA (Color). Does anyone have any idea why this precision is lost?
I'm actually trying to implement some more advanced features into my graphics engine but it's really hard to debug stuff like SSAO when my foundation isn't rock-solid, and even basic stuff like my normals are wrong..

Edit:
Lmao ofcourse 5 minutes after posting this I realize I'm normalizing the encoded normals. I've been trying to debug this for like a week, folks :shrek:

Mata fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 23, 2015

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

OneEightHundred posted:

Is it legal to alias the outputs of a compute shader as a different type in another shader?

Like, if I have a compute shader output to a structured buffer that it thinks contains this:
code:
struct BlockV
{
    int4 stuff[8]
};
... and a pixel shader reads the same structured buffer thinking that it contains this:
code:
struct Block
{
    int stuff[32];
};
.... is that supported behavior?

You almost certainly answered your question by now, but the answer is "100% yes".

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I'm trying to follow this tutorial, which has this example code but in F# using these bindings to GLFW/OpenGL. My code is here. It's very simple, just drawing a flat triangle on the z = 0 plane.

With the orthographic view, I can see the triangle. When I switch to the perspective view, I can't. I've tried a million different parameters for the vectors in lookAt, and for createPerspectiveFoV.

The key part of the code is:
code:
let mutable mvp =
    let projection = MathUtils.Matrix.CreatePerspectiveFieldOfView (
                         float32 System.Math.PI/4.f,
                         float32 4 / float32 3,
                         0.1f,
                         100.f)
    //let projection = MathUtils.Matrix.CreateOrthographicOffCenter(-10.f, 10.f, -10.f, 10.f, 0.f, 100.f)
    //let projection = MathUtils.Matrix.Identity

let view = MathUtils.Matrix.LookAt (new MathUtils.Vector3 (0.f, 0.f, 10.f),
                                        new MathUtils.Vector3 (0.f, 0.f, 0.f),
                                        new MathUtils.Vector3 (0.f, 1.f, 0.f))

let model = MathUtils.Matrix.Identity
    // FIXME: lookAt seemingly not working with a perspective view.
    // With an orthographic view you can see the triangle.
    projection * view * model
That should work right? You're looking at the origin, where the triangle is. You're flat on to the triangle so there's no question about it's depth. You're 10 units away and the draw distance is between 0.1 and 100. The window is 800x600 so 4:3 aspect is fine. The first parameter is fovy in radians, and pi/4 should be fine right?

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 11, 2015

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004
I don't know f# but out of curiosity why do you do "float32 4 / float32 3" instead of just 4.0f / 3.0f?

Can you post the value of the perspective matrix? Maybe try flipping the winding of the triangle. Also try reversing the order of your matrix multiplications.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Sex Bumbo posted:

I don't know f# but out of curiosity why do you do "float32 4 / float32 3" instead of just 4.0f / 3.0f?

Can you post the value of the perspective matrix? Maybe try flipping the winding of the triangle. Also try reversing the order of your matrix multiplications.

No idea, just a brain fart which I've changed now.

This is really weird, swapping to 'model * view * projection' made it work perfectly, it looks identical to the one in the tutorial. And I've checked, matrix multiplication isn't implemented backwards. Any idea why this might be?

e: I mean it's not the end of the world since I suspect that this tutorial is going to introduce me to glMatrixMode soon enough anyway but it's still puzzling.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 12, 2015

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
E: Happy you got it fixed. Nothing to see here.

Joda fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 12, 2015

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004

gonadic io posted:

No idea, just a brain fart which I've changed now.

This is really weird, swapping to 'model * view * projection' made it work perfectly, it looks identical to the one in the tutorial. And I've checked, matrix multiplication isn't implemented backwards. Any idea why this might be?

e: I mean it's not the end of the world since I suspect that this tutorial is going to introduce me to glMatrixMode soon enough anyway but it's still puzzling.

The multiplication is going to depend on the implementation of the matrix functions you're using and also your vertex shader. I thought that might be the issue because your orthogonal projection is just a scale in this case and would work either way. The perspective projection wouldn't though.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
Does anyone here have any experience with compiling and installing the G3D Innovation Engine on Linux?

I tried just using the python script that comes with the latest version, but it basically just stops after unzipping ffmpeg and gives me an sh error about a missing parenthesis or an expected bracket. I think it's generating faulty make files or something but I don't know enough about either to fix it. My usual MO with poo poo like this is hammer it into submission with cmake, but there's a shittonne of dependencies for everything, which is a lot of work to sort out, and I suck at linking stuff in the right order (basically I shoot randomly until something sticks.)

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
How does photon mapping typically deal with off-manifold areas in the final gather phase? Like, if you're sampling a point that's at the edge of a surface, half of the sample area is going to be off the surface where photons can't actually hit, which would make the result artificially dark. Do you have to compute it as the area as that's actually hittable (i.e. by clipping the sample area against the manifold), or is there some other strategy?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

OneEightHundred posted:

How does photon mapping typically deal with off-manifold areas in the final gather phase? Like, if you're sampling a point that's at the edge of a surface, half of the sample area is going to be off the surface where photons can't actually hit, which would make the result artificially dark. Do you have to compute it as the area as that's actually hittable (i.e. by clipping the sample area against the manifold), or is there some other strategy?

Boundary bias is an issue, yes. There are two main categories of approaches for reducing it that I am aware of.
* Rescale your density estimation volume to discard regions outside of the domain, as you suggest.
* Reproject regions outside of the domain to regions inside the domain.

Either requires some way to estimate the intersection of the photon domain and the gather region which is of course a problem. A generic but fairly costly solution is to use the convex hull of the set of nearest photons for the density estimate, instead of some simpler bounding volume.

E: Wann Jensen's SIGGRAPH 2002 course on photon mapping covers it, briefly. It's a good read, if a bit out of date now I suppose. It's all vertex merging nowadays thanks to the VCM paper, even though that's exactly the same thing.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 28, 2015

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
For my B.Sc. project I need to do multiple samplings of 4 separate buffers per fragment. To achieve somewhat decent frame times, I want to avoid sampling too many separate textures and cache-misses if possible. Say I want to pack 128 bits of arbitrary information into an GL_RGBA32F format, are there any guides on how to "cheat" GLSL in a way that will allow me to pack and unpack the information? An example of what I want to do:

Fragment input:
code:
[Calculate stuff]
vec4 tempOut = vec4();
tempOut += ((quarter-precision vec4 cast) normal1);
tempOut += ((quarter-precision vec4 cast) normal2) << 32;
tempOut += ((quarter precision vec4 cast) position) << 64;
tempOut += ((quarter precision vec4 cast) postion2) << 96;

fragOut = tempOut;
Texel output:
code:
in vec4 input;

void main() {
	vec4 normal1 = (quarter-precision vec4 cast) ((input << 96) >> 96);
	vec4 normal2 = (quarter-precision vec4 cast) ((input << 64) >> 96);
	etc.
}
Is it even possible to do this sort of bit-wise cast in GLSL, where it takes the bits in a sequence and re-interprets them as something else? (i.e. if I have a 32-bit unsigned int that was 2147483648 and I wanted to re-interpret it as a ivec4 it'd take the bits of 0111...111 which would make (128,256,256,256)).

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Joda posted:

For my B.Sc. project I need to do multiple samplings of 4 separate buffers per fragment. To achieve somewhat decent frame times, I want to avoid sampling too many separate textures and cache-misses if possible. Say I want to pack 128 bits of arbitrary information into an GL_RGBA32F format, are there any guides on how to "cheat" GLSL in a way that will allow me to pack and unpack the information? An example of what I want to do:

Fragment input:
code:
[Calculate stuff]
vec4 tempOut = vec4();
tempOut += ((quarter-precision vec4 cast) normal1);
tempOut += ((quarter-precision vec4 cast) normal2) << 32;
tempOut += ((quarter precision vec4 cast) position) << 64;
tempOut += ((quarter precision vec4 cast) postion2) << 96;

fragOut = tempOut;
Texel output:
code:
in vec4 input;

void main() {
	vec4 normal1 = (quarter-precision vec4 cast) ((input << 96) >> 96);
	vec4 normal2 = (quarter-precision vec4 cast) ((input << 64) >> 96);
	etc.
}
Is it even possible to do this sort of bit-wise cast in GLSL, where it takes the bits in a sequence and re-interprets them as something else? (i.e. if I have a 32-bit unsigned int that was 2147483648 and I wanted to re-interpret it as a ivec4 it'd take the bits of 0111...111 which would make (128,256,256,256)).

1) Why not use GL_RGBA32UI instead? You should be able to do your casting natively there -- pack the normals/positions into four 32-bit words however you see fit.

2) If you're converting your vectors/positions to signed normals (i.e. a uniform mapping to bits covering the range [0, 1]) you won't need these, but it might be worth looking at the floatBitsToUint/UintBitsToFloat GLSL functions.

3) Be sure what you're doing is actually helping. Texture caches on modern GPUs are really just memory maps, so having 4 separate RGBA8 textures being loaded sequentially will not necessarily be any less efficient than 1 RGBA32 read. With the 128-bit format you're packing your 'structure' adjacently in memory, but remember that each thread/pixel in the GPU isn't being executed sequentially -- it's running in parallel as part of a SIMD group (a 32-thread Warp/64-thread Wavefront depending on if you're talking NV or AMD).

Conceptually, the code might be:
code:
for each pixel in pixels:
  s1 = Load(Tex1, pixel)
  Process(s1)
  s2 = Load(Tex2, pixel)
  Process(s2)
  s3 = Load(Tex3, pixel)
  Process(s3)
  Load (Tex4, pixel)
  Process(s4)
But in reality what is happening is

code:
s1[pixels]
  s1[pixel] = Load(Tex1, pixel)
Process(s1)
s2[pixels]
  s2[pixel] = Load(Tex2, pixel)
Process(s2)
s3[pixels]
  s3[pixel] = Load(Tex3, pixel)
Process(s3)
s4[pixels]
  s4[pixel] = Load(Tex4, pixel)
Process(s4)
Also, the pixels are placed in their SIMD groups based on locality, and the textures are laid out such that spatially-local accesses are cache efficient. Thus if you want to reduce cache misses what you want to do is make sure that as many texels that are being sampled by the local group in for that instruction fit into a cache line as possible. This means you want to do two things: make sure that the texture coordinate accesses are local, and reduce the size of that memory access as much as possible.

Now sampling multiple textures MIGHT be a problem for you. First, the texture unit itself has a limit on how much throughput it can handle in terms of requests; however, if you're just doing four taps you shouldn't be hitting this -- it's usually more of an issue for things like soft shadowing shaders that are doing 13+ taps per pixel. You might also have a problem if your texture reads are dependent (that is, the coordinate for one read is derived from the result of another); in that case you have to serialize your reads, and depending on what other work your shader is doing you may not be able to effectively hide the latency of the texture access with arithmetic instructions. From what it looks like though this isn't what you are doing.

It may all be a wash anyways if all of your math ops require all the values to be read before they can do any work. The memory behavior will still be slightly different but you're still pulling the same total bandwidth so there will be a lot more variability based on the hardware's specific cacheing strategy. Still, if there are ANY operations you're doing that only need subset of the results, the compiler should be able to reorder the shader so that they are operating while the rest of the data is loading, leading to better total throughput by overlapping latencies.

Finally, all of this is not to say this isn't a clever idea. There's definitely value in it for something like G-Buffer packing in deferred shaders. For example, a Normal doesn't really need all four channels in an RGBA texture -- you could choose to pack it as 3xFloat16 values, or even two (deriving the third from the fact that the normal is, well, normalized). If you can use bit packing to compress below what you'd be using in separate textures then the gains might start to appear. Just keep in mind that the packing/unpacking instructions aren't free either, so if you're at all instruction-bound then it may hurt more than it helps.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
Thanks for all that! Definitely a lot to consider. Specifically, what I'm doing is global illumination with a 2-layer g-buffer, and to my understanding I'm going to be doing at least 9 samples from each buffer for each method (which will become 36 samples for radiosity and 36 for AO per fragment if I use 4 separate buffers. As opposed to 9+9) If I have the time I'll probably implement traditional separate-textures deferred rendering for comparison, since it'll make a nice addition to the report.

As for normal packing, the paper I'm following already recommends giving the radiosity algorithm two 16-bit normals in a single 32-bit word.

E: Is there anywhere I can read up on GLSL's internal formats? My understanding is that a vec4 is 4 32-bit floats, so I need to know how to convert that 32-bit float into its equivalent 8-bit float before converting it.

Joda fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 7, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
If you use an isampler instead of a sampler in your shader, you'll get an ivec4 back from the texture function when you go to sample, so everything is integers.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
What's the latest craze in shadow mapping? I screwed myself royally trying to mix EVSM and SpeedTree back in the day, and I've kind of kept a distance since.

Some people say floating point precision's to blame;
But I know (na na na na na)
It's all Nyquist's fault

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
With the usual caveat that I don't work with this weird raster stuff and my approach to shadows is "shoot more rays":

Moment Shadow Mapping is the latest VSM/ESM, lets-filter-our-problems-away approach. It seems neat, I haven't actually implemented it. Here's some comparisons which show that, eh, it's about as good as the rest of them. I imagine trees will still suck.

If you rightly feel that dynamic geometry is for chumps and really just want a better light map then you may want to pack all your shadow map data in an SVO, merge all your common subvoxels and end up with the Compact Precomputed Voxelized Shadows scheme. Pros: you can have 256Kx256K resolution shadow maps that are cheap to filter. Cons: no moving your stuff, expensive precomputations (if not as expensive as in that paper).

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 7, 2015

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004
Definitely don't think of texture memory as giant contiguous sequential arrays of bytes that would normally thrash a cpu cache if you accessed all at once. I don't know of a great analogy though -- maybe like a bunch of students that need a bunch of books stored in a library that they all access by talking to a librarian and they then bring back as many books as they can.

Also if you're using a modern glsl version you can go hog wild with integer operations.

Sex Bumbo fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 7, 2015

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Looks like my lust for D3D12 is going to force me into Windows 10. Got to figure out what the slow parts are right away or else I won't be able to figure out what horrible flaws the next crop of papers are trying to hide

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
If I have a 2D array texture with two layers in OpenGL, am I wrong in assuming that I would access the contents of the first layer like so?:

code:
#version 330

in vec2 UV;

uniform sampler2DArray texture_uniform;
uniform int layer;

out vec4 fragColor;

void main() {
    fragColor = texture(texture_uniform, vec3(UV,0));
}
I haven't drawn to the texture yet but I cleared the framebuffer (which has three different two-layer array textures attached to it) with glClearColor(1,0,0,1) so I would expect a red screen. I already verified that the UV coodinates and the full-screen quad work as they should.

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004
Did you bind it correctly?

CommunityEdition posted:

Looks like my lust for D3D12 is going to force me into Windows 10. Got to figure out what the slow parts are right away or else I won't be able to figure out what horrible flaws the next crop of papers are trying to hide

I'm in full hype mode, DX12 is going to solve all our problems. World peace, climate change, the heat death of the universe, it's going to be great.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sex Bumbo posted:

Did you bind it correctly?

I bound it like I would any other texture.

C++ code:
void RenderEngine::renderTextureLevel(GLuint texture, unsigned short int layer) {
    tex_shader.use();

glBindVertexArray(quad.getVAO());

glm::mat4 pvm = glm::ortho(-width/2.0f,width/2.0f,-height/2.0f,height/2.0f,0.1f,3.0f)*
                    glm::lookAt(glm::fvec3(0,0,-1),glm::fvec3(0,0,1),glm::fvec3(0,1,0))*
                    glm::scale(glm::vec3(width,height,1));

glUniformMatrix4fv(tex_shader.get_U_Location(Shader::U_M_PVM),1,GL_FALSE,glm::value_ptr(pvm));

glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE0);
    glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY, texture);
    glUniform1i(tex_shader.get_U_Location(Shader::U_I_TEXTURE),0);

glUniform1i(tex_shader.get_U_Location(Shader::U_I_LAYER),layer);

glDrawElements(GL_TRIANGLES,quad.getNoIndices(),GL_UNSIGNED_INT,(void*) 0);
}
Also, in case my problem is with how I'm attaching/writing to the textures, here is an example of how I create a texture:

C++ code:
glGenFramebuffers(1,&generationFBO);

glBindFramebuffer(GL_DRAW_FRAMEBUFFER,generationFBO);

glGenTextures(1, &normals);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY,normals);

glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR);
glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);

glTexImage3D(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY,0,GL_RG16F,width,height,2,0,GL_RG,GL_FLOAT,0);[s][/s]
And where I attach them to the draw framebuffer:

C++ code:
shader.use();
glBindFramebuffer(GL_DRAW_FRAMEBUFFER,generationFBO);

glFramebufferTexture(GL_DRAW_FRAMEBUFFER,GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT,depth,0);
glFramebufferTexture(GL_DRAW_FRAMEBUFFER,GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0,normals,0);
glFramebufferTexture(GL_DRAW_FRAMEBUFFER,GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT1,diffColors,0);
glFramebufferTexture(GL_DRAW_FRAMEBUFFER,GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT2,specColors,0);

GLuint buffers[3] = {GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0,GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT1,GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT2};

glDrawBuffers(3,buffers);

glClearColor(1,0,0,1);

glClear(GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT | GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT);
E: I should note that the texture I'm currently trying to output is the diffuse color which is RGBA8. I'm not sure what would happen if I try to output the normals, but I assume the RGBA8 internal format should work.

Joda fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 26, 2015

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Sex Bumbo posted:

I'm in full hype mode, DX12 is going to solve all our problems. World peace, climate change, the heat death of the universe, it's going to be great.

I might try out DX12, especially because the dev tools look pretty neato.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

Joda posted:

I bound it like I would any other texture.
snip

I figured it out. I'd somehow missed that the boiler plate code I took my parameters from had mipmap in the minification filter. Changed all paramters to int and min filter to linear and at least it can draw the top layer now.

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004
I'm having an issue with dx12 where the following code copied from samples fails saying the adapter isn't compatible:

code:
	HRESULT hr = D3D12CreateDevice(
		nullptr,						// Specify nullptr to use the default adapter.
		D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_0,			// Minimum feature level this app can support.
		IID_PPV_ARGS(&m_d3dDevice)		// Returns the Direct3D device created.
		);
I'm running a mobile Fermi gpu which is dx 11 compatible and, according to all docs, should work with dx12 feature level 11. I have the latest driver from NVidia, do you suppose they're just lagging on their mobile drivers? Querying the default adapter desc gives expected results.

The specific error is: "hr = 0x887a0004 : The specified device interface or feature level is not supported on this system. "

The device description is: "Description = 0x0397eedc L"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M " revision 161

Sex Bumbo fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 3, 2015

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Hey guys, I'm a 3D noob and want to take a model I made with Agisoft Photoscan (structure from motion) and make a short animation of flying over it. What's the best/cheapest/whatever program to do this quickly?

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004
Blender?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Is there a cheatsheet for determining what version of opengl some source is using?

For example, glBegin()/glEnd() means it's time to walk away because that's 1995 vintage code.

What's a good grep term for opengl 3.3 / opengl 4.x code?

I'm thinking of just searching the source for "#using", it'll show up in either inlined shader source or standalone shader files - but that only gives a lower bound - if the shaders have been in the code a while and unchanged they'll continue to be compatible.

I've been looking through various OGL programs and unless they prominently declare the version they target, I have to examine their render loop to figure out what features they're using.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Nope -- and sometimes it's ambiguous. New versions of OpenGL are made by simply taking extensions from previous versions and folding them into the core, so you can't say whether it's "OpenGL 4.2 with all these extensions" or "OpenGL 4.4".

Out of curiosity, why do you want to know?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don't they remove the ARB suffix when that happens?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
They used to do that, and then they realized that nobody liked the double-dispatch and would continue using the ARB extensions because they always have more driver support, etc., so now they just say "this extension is part of OpenGL 4.4" and such.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Suspicious Dish posted:

Nope -- and sometimes it's ambiguous. New versions of OpenGL are made by simply taking extensions from previous versions and folding them into the core, so you can't say whether it's "OpenGL 4.2 with all these extensions" or "OpenGL 4.4".

Out of curiosity, why do you want to know?

I've been going through open source opengl games/engines looking for modern ones so I can play around with shaders on a 'real' project. One of the biggies is rendering to a framebuffer then doing a final shader before going to screen - things like sine-wave ripple displacement effects across the screen.

I don't think you can do a displacement without first rendering a flat engine to a framebuffer, right?

Trying to hack that into an immediate mode setup like glquake sucks.

Edit: On that count, I can't figure out why on the same machine some engines have different shader limits:
code:
#version 330 core

Compile failed for fragment shader (res/test.frag): 0:2(10): error: GLSL 3.30 is not supported. Supported versions are: 1.10, 1.20, 1.30, 1.00 ES, and 3.00 ES
whereas that same shader works fine in another engine. I guess they're not setting up their context properly? I ported it (my shader program) from 330 core to 3.00 ES and it worked.

Harik fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 9, 2015

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I want to render a concave, textured polygon in OpenGL but I'm having a hard time finding good resources/algorithms on how to do the tessellation + uv mapping of the resulting tris. I know there are some GLUT functions that does this but I don't think that would work if I wanted to port this to mobile for example.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So I have this problem in which I am making a Civ grid like board game in Unity, but have a problem in that if I have two tiles with different terrain textures next to each other it leaves a really ugly seam; so clearly I want some sort of texture splatting.

Does anyone know how using shaders GLSH/HLSL I can sample a given objects texture and then do some sort of directional blending? I wouldn't want the whole tile blender for instance, just the edges.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
Notice, I don't know how you're handling actually drawing the grid, but this is based on the assumption that you know in the shaders what the coordinates of the current tile is.

I'm not too familiar with Unity. With pure OpenGL you can upload an array of texture samplers representing the grid (just keep in mind that there's a hard limit on how many uniforms you can upload, and it depends on hardware platform) and then based on distance to grid separators do interpolation between closest neighboring tile(s) and current tile.

A faster alternative to uploading uniforms every frame (espeially if the map layout is static) is generating a single integer texture that holds the texture ID for every tile, then upload all grid tile texture samplers in an array and using the index extracted from the ID texture. Texture generation and sampling would look something like this:

C++ code:
    glGenTextures(1, &grid);
    glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D,grid);

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,GL_NEAREST);
    glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,GL_NEAREST);
    glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S,GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
    glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T,GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);

glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D,0,GL_R8UI,grid_width,grid_height,0,GL_RED,GL_UNSIGNED_INT,grid_data);
	//8-bit unsigned leaves room for 256 different kinds of tiles.
GLSL fragment shader:

code:
#version 330

uniform sampler2D grid_textures[256];
uniform sampler2DRect texture_id;

in ivec2 grid_coord;

//A bunch of other stuff goes here (e.g. local tile UVs, which you need to find distance to edge and other, obvious, reasons)

void main() {
	int centre_id = texture(texture_id,grid_coord).r;
	sampler2D centreTexture = grid_textures[centre_id];

sampler2D neighbourTextures[8];

int x = 0;
	for(int i = -1; i <= 1; i++) {
			for(int j = -1; j <= 1; j++) {
				if(i == 0 && j == 0)
					continue;
				int neighbour_id = texture(texture_id, grid_coord + ivec2(i,j)).r;
				neighbourTextures[x] = grid_textures[neighbour_id];
				x++;
			}
	}

//Do look-ups, find distance to neighbours, interpolate as needed etc. etc. etc.
}
Note: you probably don't want to upload 256 texture samplers all at once. That said I've never tried it, but it just seems like a really bad idea.

You also need to make sure that grid_textures are all uploaded in the same order every time (obviously). Also, the above assumes square tiles. Refurbishing it for hexagons or whatever shouldn't be too hard.

I hope that was at least somewhat helpful.

E: I am assuming here that you are drawing the entire grid in a single draw call. Also, there's a million different ways to solve these kinds of problems, this is just how I'd probably do it.

E3: If you're asking how to do the actual interpolation between neighbours, it's just a question of finding the function that looks the best. You probably want something inversely exponential based on distance from dividing line. (i.e. so it goes very fast from .5 neighbour .5 self at edge to 1 self 0 neighbour approaching the center.)

Joda fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The grid is just a large number of 3D hexagonal objects. So it isn't necessarily flat.

quote:

(espeially if the map layout is static)

Yes, I don't plan on changing the map once it's generated. Another key thing though is that it is procedural and thus semi random.

quote:

I'm not too familiar with Unity. With pure OpenGL you can upload an array of texture samplers representing the grid (just keep in mind that there's a hard limit on how many uniforms you can upload, and it depends on hardware platform) and then based on distance to grid separators do interpolation between closest neighboring tile(s) and current tile.

So lets see if I can vaguely understand the code before I'm off to learn Shaders from the shader wizards:
code:
glGenTextures(1, &grid);
    glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D,normals);

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,GL_NEAREST);
    glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,GL_NEAREST);
    glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY,GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S,GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
    glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY,GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T,GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);

glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D,0,GL_R8UI,grid_width,grid_height,0,GL_RED,GL_INT,grid_data);
    //8-bit unsigned leaves room for 256 different kinds of tiles.
All of this is just to create an "integer texture" which is something like a fancy hash table? And this does refer to the board? But the board could be thousands of tiles and I only ever care about the adjacent six. And they aren't always going to be unique, e.g having three plains tiles next to three grassland tiles and a Mountain tile. Seven tiles being both adjacent and unique being a worst case scenario edge case.

code:
uniform sampler2D grid_textures[256];
uniform sampler2DRect texture_id;

in ivec2 grid_coord;
The first uniform passed is our sampler array right? While the texture_id is the id of the current texture in the center tile? grid_coord being it's coordinate?

code:
int centre_id = texture(texture_id,grid_coord).r;
	sampler2D centreTexture = grid_textures[centre_id];
Assuming every texture is unique, I pass the current coordinate and the current texture and I get the id back of the current tile, which gets me it's texture? I'm a little confused.

code:
sampler2D neighbourTextures[4];
Array of our neighbours, I probably want this to be [6].

code:
	int x = 0;
	for(int i = -1; i <= 1; i++) {
			for(int j = -1; j <= 1; j++) {
				int neighbour_id = texture(texture_id, grid_coord + ivec2(i,j)).r;
				neighbourTextures[x] = grid_textures[neighbour_id];
				x++;
			}
	}
For each neighbour sample it's texture right?

code:
	//Do look-ups, find distance to neighbours, interpolate as needed etc. etc. etc.
Alright so I think I broadly understand that there is a means of sampling adjacent textures, and I do understand there are ways to lerp/blend textures.

So to take a guess at blending only for UV's corresponding to a given direction;

If I know which direction the adjacent tile is, and I know roughly where my UV's are because they are in a grid (from 0 to 1 right from the bottom left corner of the mesh?); so if uvs[u-value] is > Something and < SomethingElse blend with the adjacent texture?

This sounds like it may be a roughly triangle shape patch of the mesh be blended which may still present some artifacts though?