Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Those are the old turret graphics. Did you not update to 0.12? They're even more insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

oxbrain posted:

You can use console commands to give yourself items.

code:
/c game.player.insert{name="iron-plate",count=100}

I know this is supposed to work for everything and just use the name that is displayed on mouseover. But I can't get it to give me batteries (that you put in your armor) or... really anything you put in your armor.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

DelphiAegis posted:

I know this is supposed to work for everything and just use the name that is displayed on mouseover. But I can't get it to give me batteries (that you put in your armor) or... really anything you put in your armor.

It looks like all the equipable items have '-equipment' on it, probably to prevent name collisions.

code:
battery-equipment
battery-mk2-equipment
energy-shield-mk2-equipment
fusion-reactor-equipment
personal-roboport-equipment
ect

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

What's the deal with the shotgun? I decided to continue the campaign from where I left off back in 0.10 -- the mission where you start with a car full of raw materials and a shitload of ammo and turrets, but there's no resources to harvest. My SMG wasn't cutting the mustard, so I built a shotgun, and it does gently caress all. I mean, it clears trees great, but it doesn't do any visible damage whatsoever to biters.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ToxicFrog posted:

What's the deal with the shotgun? I decided to continue the campaign from where I left off back in 0.10 -- the mission where you start with a car full of raw materials and a shitload of ammo and turrets, but there's no resources to harvest. My SMG wasn't cutting the mustard, so I built a shotgun, and it does gently caress all. I mean, it clears trees great, but it doesn't do any visible damage whatsoever to biters.

Everyone here seems to like the combat shotgun, but by the time I get to it, I have laser turrets with upgrades, and biter waves that just tear you the hell up if you try to handle them on foot. I never waste the science on shotguns.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Shotgun is pretty good ammo-wise for taking down smaller concentrations of spawners. It balances out the machine gun which is great against biter waves but chews through ammo like they're made of candy.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

Shotgun is pretty good ammo-wise for taking down smaller concentrations of spawners. It balances out the machine gun which is great against biter waves but chews through ammo like they're made of candy.

How is it good for taking down spawners when it can't kill the biters that they constantly spawn to defend themselves?

Honestly, I'm most of the way through this (terrible) mission, and I'm getting the impression that all equippable weapons suck rear end:

- Pistol doesn't hit hard enough.
- SMG is ok against small groups of biters, but even a single nest will respawn them as fast as you can kill them, leaving no chance to attack the nest itself.
- Shotgun is good for clearing trees and ok against nests, but doesn't do any damage to biters, and since you will never be fighting a single nest without also fighting the swarms of biters it constantly shits out, it's useless as a weapon.
- Rocket launcher does respectable damage, but since it only damages a single target and fires extremely slowly, by the time the rocket hits and kills that first biter another three will be loving you up.

In contrast, throwables are pretty great. Grenades do less damage on paper than rockets, but since they have a blast radius they actually do much more damage, since you're never fighting only one target in this game. They're also cheaper than rockets and require only iron and coal rather than iron, copper, and explosives. And they don't need a separate launcher, either. And you can throw them while running at full speed, unlike any weapon.

And if grenades aren't doing it for you and you're willing to dip into your copper reserves, Defender drones are still cheaper than rockets and will do vastly more damage (and more damage per second) over their 45-second lifespan while also drawing off enemy attention and letting you move at full speed.

I kind of hope that at the top of the tech level the combat becomes less like an awkward and badly balanced Alien Shooter clone and more like an RTS. I want to just crank out a few thousand flamethrower drones and tell them to burn the world, or construct an artillery piece capable of delivering five tonnes of explosives to any location on the map.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 26, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Don't forget you can upgrade weapons in the tech tree. An upgraded shotgun is pretty good at wrecking small waves of biters and it's not too much research to do the basics.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

How is it good for taking down spawners when it can't kill the biters that they constantly spawn to defend themselves?
Because you can catch one or two in the spray of bullets you're directing at the spawners and either take the biter out or require only a second shot to dispatch. It rarely prevents them from chomping on you but you can stay healthy with just the first level of armour. If you're having difficulty hitting them on the second shot you slowly back away from the biter so the spread is further out.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Dirk the Average posted:

This. 10-20 burner miners is an obscene amount of pollution for the early game, which in my opinion is a bit of a shame. Given their mining speed their pollution could easily be cut to 3-5 instead of the 10 that it's at right now. It'd be nice to have the option at least of going with burner miners in the short term instead of trying to transition over to electricity as soon as possible.

I've always gone with all electric mining drills (and inserters) as soon as I set up my first steam engine - it takes a bit longer to craft them when you haven't yet set up automated circuit production, but it's better than keeping dozens of mining drills supplied with fuel.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
When dealing with early nests*, I like shotgun quite well. Supported with a couple turrets placed to cover you, it deals a quite nice amount of damage to structures if you get close enough, and when your health does get low it has just enough range to plink away at a small worm and not get hit in return. If I don't have a car, I'll need to cover my approach with an annoying amount of turrets, but if I have a car, I can easily clear out the biters as long as I remember that I need to come to a complete stop before I can throw poo poo in reverse.

Unfortunately, before I get the car there are quite a few nests that are outside my walking distance, and by the time I have a car and remember to get around to clearing them, they have large worms. If I was quicker about getting a factory line set up... But at least I've finally managed to figure out how to assemble a production line that doesn't leave me completely confused. Something I can get up and running relatively quick next time without causing a headache. Next I just need to figure out how to integrate oil, stone, and steel into a coherent build rather than a miserable mess. Not necessarily long term build, just both clean and quick.

*Early nests meaning small worm turrets defending it. Maybe I could handle medium, but I rarely find those without large worms nearby. From some limited tests, it seems even steel armor is kind of pathetic versus medium worms.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 26, 2015

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I always found a mix of methods really useful for combat. Start by throwing poison caps at the spawners, circle strafe your way through the biters and whats left of the spawners. Reapply poison as necessary.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
This pollution map is becoming redundant. Why not just highlight the unpolluted areas instead?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Cockmaster posted:

I've always gone with all electric mining drills (and inserters) as soon as I set up my first steam engine - it takes a bit longer to craft them when you haven't yet set up automated circuit production, but it's better than keeping dozens of mining drills supplied with fuel.

Actually, with the change to making burner inserters fuel themselves, it's more or less trivial to keep the burner miners and smelters full on fuel since the coal miners can resupply themselves. Electric miners are just so much more efficient in terms of mining ability and pollution efficiency though that transitioning to electricity asap is the best move.

ToxicFrog posted:

Honestly, I'm most of the way through this (terrible) mission, and I'm getting the impression that all equippable weapons suck rear end:

- Pistol doesn't hit hard enough.
- SMG is ok against small groups of biters, but even a single nest will respawn them as fast as you can kill them, leaving no chance to attack the nest itself.
- Shotgun is good for clearing trees and ok against nests, but doesn't do any damage to biters, and since you will never be fighting a single nest without also fighting the swarms of biters it constantly shits out, it's useless as a weapon.
- Rocket launcher does respectable damage, but since it only damages a single target and fires extremely slowly, by the time the rocket hits and kills that first biter another three will be loving you up.

In contrast, throwables are pretty great. Grenades do less damage on paper than rockets, but since they have a blast radius they actually do much more damage, since you're never fighting only one target in this game. They're also cheaper than rockets and require only iron and coal rather than iron, copper, and explosives. And they don't need a separate launcher, either. And you can throw them while running at full speed, unlike any weapon.

And if grenades aren't doing it for you and you're willing to dip into your copper reserves, Defender drones are still cheaper than rockets and will do vastly more damage (and more damage per second) over their 45-second lifespan while also drawing off enemy attention and letting you move at full speed.

I kind of hope that at the top of the tech level the combat becomes less like an awkward and badly balanced Alien Shooter clone and more like an RTS. I want to just crank out a few thousand flamethrower drones and tell them to burn the world, or construct an artillery piece capable of delivering five tonnes of explosives to any location on the map.

Bring turrets, bring deployable bots, bring poison capsules, and in general just bring more than yourself along. Shotguns with proper positioning can kill biters and a spawner at the same time, but you're always better off tossing down a handful of turrets and going from there.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

Because you can catch one or two in the spray of bullets you're directing at the spawners and either take the biter out or require only a second shot to dispatch. It rarely prevents them from chomping on you but you can stay healthy with just the first level of armour. If you're having difficulty hitting them on the second shot you slowly back away from the biter so the spread is further out.

Maybe it's different once you upgrade the shotgun, but in my experience you can nail a biter with the entire shotgun blast and this will have no visible effect on its health. "Two shots to kill a biter" is complete fantasy.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

ToxicFrog posted:

Maybe it's different once you upgrade the shotgun, but in my experience you can nail a biter with the entire shotgun blast and this will have no visible effect on its health. "Two shots to kill a biter" is complete fantasy.

Are you using the purple ammo?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Breetai posted:

Combat shotgun with purple ammo is a mother fucker and seriously a killing machine. I hated the shotgun right up until I started using it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

No...it's just straight up the shotgun on its own; it has no upgrades and using just normal ammo.

Mind you, this is only against a normal biter. Anything bigger and they have too much armour to pierce without upgrades. It is fully possible to blitz some of the smaller patches while they haven't evolved and get some breathing space for your pollution to spread unchecked.

If you're dealing with medium+ swarms you're going to have to take the advice the thread's been giving: turrets, capsules and robots.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It says automate everything, so I'm waiting for when I can equip my own robot army to go off and hunt down biter swarms, or form some kind of massive artillery cannon that'll blow them up from afar.

Having to go do it myself feel dirty. That's what I build machines for.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Frankly I've never used combat robots, they seem kinda underwhelming to me. Power armour with 2 fusions, 5 shield and the rest speed boost + combat shotty with piercing ammo + poison caps for the enemy 'turrets' seems to work fine even in the late game.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Breetai posted:

Sage Grimm posted:

No...it's just straight up the shotgun on its own; it has no upgrades and using just normal ammo.

Mind you, this is only against a normal biter. Anything bigger and they have too much armour to pierce without upgrades. It is fully possible to blitz some of the smaller patches while they haven't evolved and get some breathing space for your pollution to spread unchecked.

If you're dealing with medium+ swarms you're going to have to take the advice the thread's been giving: turrets, capsules and robots.

Yeah, like I said earlier I'm playing mission 3 in the New Hope campaign, which doesn't really have anything smaller than medium biters and doesn't let you upgrade or research anything.

(At least, I was playing it, I've finished it now. Thank god.)

Fans posted:

It says automate everything, so I'm waiting for when I can equip my own robot army to go off and hunt down biter swarms, or form some kind of massive artillery cannon that'll blow them up from afar.

Having to go do it myself feel dirty. That's what I build machines for.

This. The whole theme of the game is that doing anything manually is for scrubs, you should automate everything. If you can't automate the burning of the world at high tech levels I'm going to be very disappointed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Breetai posted:

Frankly I've never used combat robots, they seem kinda underwhelming to me. Power armour with 2 fusions, 5 shield and the rest speed boost + combat shotty with piercing ammo + poison caps for the enemy 'turrets' seems to work fine even in the late game.

The best combat robot is a construction robot that is placing/repairing walls and LASER turrets.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Okay with the latest patch nests has become a lot harder to clear for me. Turrets may have become better but they also became much bigger so the number of bullets being delivered per square has been reduced.

Now I clear nests by making a fortress of turrets that refill ammo from the tank (a smart inserter takes out ammo from the tank and put it into circulation). I move into the nest and kill 4-5 spawners and then run back to my turrets and let them kill all the aliens before I head back in again.

The tank has a special parking station in the base were inserters literally fill it from top to bottom with bullets so that it can then act as a kind of mobile depot of bullets at the remote outposts

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib

Zephyrine posted:

Okay with the latest patch nests has become a lot harder to clear for me. Turrets may have become better but they also became much bigger so the number of bullets being delivered per square has been reduced.

Now I clear nests by making a fortress of turrets that refill ammo from the tank (a smart inserter takes out ammo from the tank and put it into circulation). I move into the nest and kill 4-5 spawners and then run back to my turrets and let them kill all the aliens before I head back in again.

The tank has a special parking station in the base were inserters literally fill it from top to bottom with bullets so that it can then act as a kind of mobile depot of bullets at the remote outposts

If you have tanks unlocked, shouldn't you already have laser turrets unlocked as well?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Spaseman posted:

If you have tanks unlocked, shouldn't you already have laser turrets unlocked as well?

Laser turrets require power lines run, take a lot more power than before, and also take time to charge up.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Spaseman posted:

Laser turrets are kind of nerdy. I like the regular turrets more.

Plus I'm still a bit burned out on laser turrets back when the only way to tackle a nest was construction bots and like 10x10 blocks of laser turrets pushing towards the nest.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Can bots refill turrets?

Idles
Dec 31, 2007
Just idling.
Not directly I don't think, but you could put a requester chest next to each turret.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I made myself a blueprint with 3 laser turrets, 1 large electricity pole and a wall around it and place this in a line towards biter bases. Just remember to manually place 1 large power pole at the edge of your base first so you get the wire reach.
The personal roboport is a marvellous invention.

I am more or less done with the game though, i think (90% progress in the rocket silo) and i have never encountered large worms or the mammoth biters and my game is around 30 hours old. What do you need to do to get the bigger guys to spawn?
I have plenty of pollution in my base from for example the 100 steam engines.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Evolution seems to be a lot slower, which is nice because the biters are more aggressive now. I'm in maybe hour 50 and I've seen plenty of big biters and spitters.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I'm in hour 180 and these green bitters are tearing my remote outposts to pieces.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

oxbrain posted:

You can use console commands to give yourself items.

code:
/c game.player.insert{name="iron-plate",count=100}

(Slightly) faster/easier method now available:
code:
/c game.player.insert("iron-plate")
Gives you one full stack of the item in question.

If you want to find the name for an item:

If you already have at least one, "hold" it on your cursor and
code:
/c game.player.print(game.player.cursor_stack.name)
Otherwise, if you don't feel like sifting through the data files
code:
/c local s={};for _,p in pairs(game.item_prototypes) do table.insert(s,p.name) end;game.player.print(table.concat(s,"\n"))
and look through the results.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I think I screwed up the set up somehow.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Not even far enough away to avoid spitters, looks like.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I finally cleared New Hope 3 and started New Hope 4

Petroleum :stare:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

ToxicFrog posted:

So I finally cleared New Hope 3 and started New Hope 4

Petroleum :stare:

Welcome to pipe hell. As a tip, use copious amount of underground pipes if you want to still be able to move about.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Fans posted:

Welcome to pipe hell. As a tip, use copious amount of underground pipes if you want to still be able to move about.

Seconding this, just make a factory to produce a stack of regular and underground pipes for you. That way you don't need to wait around for each one to build. I end up using underground pipes for just about everything.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

Seconding this, just make a factory to produce a stack of regular and underground pipes for you. That way you don't need to wait around for each one to build. I end up using underground pipes for just about everything.

I'm really bad at setting up factories, I usually just use them to produce ammo for my turrets and science packs for my labs, plus whatever the current mission needs for victory. I should start using them more and coming up with more systematic conveyor layouts.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm really bad at setting up factories, I usually just use them to produce ammo for my turrets and science packs for my labs, plus whatever the current mission needs for victory. I should start using them more and coming up with more systematic conveyor layouts.

Why are you playing ~factorio~ if you're not going to bother learning how to set up a factory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Gibbo posted:

Why are you playing ~factorio~ if you're not going to bother learning how to set up a factory?

I have the same problem. Probably from habit of Minecraft/Terraria. My factories are pretty much limited to simple one resource things like basic ammo, belts, walls, etc. Or full on produce all the things behemoths AFTER I've cleared out at least a 10x10 chunk space to harvest resources. There is no middle ground.

Has the "no crafting" mod been updated yet? That was the only thing that helped me with making intermediaries.